Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

But can anyone explain why the 3DS doesn't have a DS Virtual Console, though?  I'm sure there are DS titles I missed, and a lot more I'd be happy to double-dip on to support the concept behind them.

Also, while I kind of belittled this year's 3DS lineup just up there, then there are some really exciting things coming later this year in terms of eShop-original 3DS games.  ...Though European localisation being what it is, some of those could well be 2016 titles for me.

My guess is that maybe the amount of memory DS files take would probably be too big for at least the standard 2GB-4GB SD cards 3DSes are usually shipped with. That or Nintendo doesn't find it too necessary as the 3DS's hardware is natively backwards compatible with the DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just putting them on the e-shop would be easy money for Nintendo, I think, since the 3DS plays DS games as is, emulation wouldn't be necessary. DS games aren't big. I think the biggest is around half a GB.

Edited by Marcello
  • Thumbs Up 2

Soo, my 3DS bricked today while I was at PAX =/ Half the icons on my home menu don't load, the top screen doesn't load certain items like the time and play coins, and whenever I try to open any application or game, it completely freezes. Putting it in sleep mode brings me a permanent black screen. I took out the SD card but it doesn't seem to be the problem, the actual firmware must have corrupted somehow and I can't fix it myself because even trying to go to the system settings freezes my system. I'm sending it to Nintendo for repairs, but I'm majorly pissed because I was planning on upgrading to a new3DS sometime next month or the month after, but having to spend over 100 dollars (taxes + shipping total to nearly 20 dollars on top of the non-warranty covered costs) just to fix my original model 3DS just so I can have access to all of my purchased games, rather than going out and simply buying a new system, both irritates me and guts me financially.

This is 100 dollars I could have used for something else. Now I have to hold back on buying the games I wanted for a while just to recuperate from the loss, so that means I'm waiting on Super Mario Maker and I'll have to pick up Senran Kagura 2 digitally since I assume the physical print is a limited run.

I was playing Pokémon Platinum when it happened but I didn't lose anything in that game, I just popped it into my DS Lite to see if it worked and I'm just resuming my progress from there. It was really hard not letting this ruin my day, but thankfully I got to see the Game Grumps live shortly afterwards and it was wonderful enough seeing them in person to take my mind off it for an hour.

Just putting them on the e-shop would be easy money for Nintendo, I think, since the 3DS plays DS games as is, emulation wouldn't be necessary. DS games aren't big. I think the biggest is around half a GB.

The main issue is how they load the games. In theory it shouldn't be too difficult, but maybe they want them to work directly with the 3DS's architecture; Nintendo is very nitpicky about the games being able to run while the console's own systems still work perfectly, and without major problems in the games themselves. Similar thing with GBA games.

They may have to modify the games slightly to work in this manner, similar to how Wii download games on Wii U look, and as Wii U is far more powerful, its much easier to do (plus they may be trying to push Wii U more by adding tons of games on Wii U first before eventually start bringing some to 3DS).

Soo, my 3DS bricked today while I was at PAX =/ Half the icons on my home menu don't load, the top screen doesn't load certain items like the time and play coins, and whenever I try to open any application or game, it completely freezes. Putting it in sleep mode brings me a permanent black screen. I took out the SD card but it doesn't seem to be the problem, the actual firmware must have corrupted somehow and I can't fix it myself because even trying to go to the system settings freezes my system. I'm sending it to Nintendo for repairs, but I'm majorly pissed because I was planning on upgrading to a new3DS sometime next month or the month after, but having to spend over 100 dollars (taxes + shipping total to nearly 20 dollars on top of the non-warranty covered costs) just to fix my original model 3DS just so I can have access to all of my purchased games, rather than going out and simply buying a new system, both irritates me and guts me financially.

This is 100 dollars I could have used for something else. Now I have to hold back on buying the games I wanted for a while just to recuperate from the loss, so that means I'm waiting on Super Mario Maker and I'll have to pick up Senran Kagura 2 digitally since I assume the physical print is a limited run.

I was playing Pokémon Platinum when it happened but I didn't lose anything in that game, I just popped it into my DS Lite to see if it worked and I'm just resuming my progress from there. It was really hard not letting this ruin my day, but thankfully I got to see the Game Grumps live shortly afterwards and it was wonderful enough seeing them in person to take my mind off it for an hour.

Did you ask if it was possible to upgrade it to the n3DS for extra cash?

• Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't sound like something that is possible, I've never heard of Nintendo upgrading someone's defective system in leiu of repairing or replacing it.

Speaking of upgrades, those of you in the US who want to get the New 3DS, but were put off by the size and/or lack of customization of the XL can rest a bit easier now because the regular New 3DS will now be available on the 25th. I say "a bit" because the catch is that it's currently part of a bundle for that new Animal Crossing game and, because of that, will be more expensive at $220.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/31/9235091/new-nintendo-3ds-with-swappable-faceplates

Nevermind. I called Nintendo about upgrading my system and it looks like I can do it no problem. Already went through the process of ordering the newXL and giving them my account info so by the time I receive it I should be good to go.

Thanks PSI for suggesting that, it NEVER would have crossed my mind otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nevermind. I called Nintendo about upgrading my system and it looks like I can do it no problem. Already went through the process of ordering the newXL and giving them my account info so by the time I receive it I should be good to go.

Thanks PSI for suggesting that, it NEVER would have crossed my mind otherwise.

No problem. I remember reading about people upgrading a defective system before and considering Nintendo's reputation on customer service, it'd make sense. 

Speaking of upgrades, those of you in the US who want to get the New 3DS, but were put off by the size and/or lack of customization of the XL can rest a bit easier now because the regular New 3DS will now be available on the 25th. I say "a bit" because the catch is that it's currently part of a bundle for that new Animal Crossing game and, because of that, will be more expensive at $220.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/31/9235091/new-nintendo-3ds-with-swappable-faceplates

*sigh* Oh well, baby steps I suppose. 

They probably released it as part of the bundle first to sell more copies of Animal Crossing. I doubt they'll limit it to just that bundle.

lol. I've whined before about not getting the regular model but even before my 3DS bricked I was kind of set on just getting the XL anyway since I tried it out at a store and it felt pretty comfortable. Besides even if I did want the standard size still, I would rather not wait around for god knows how long for a stand-alone release (I could not give less of a shit about HHD if I tried) while my system collects dust and remains unusable.

They probably released it as part of the bundle first to sell more copies of Animal Crossing. I doubt they'll limit it to just that bundle.

Yeah, I realized this pretty much after I made the post (didn't feel like editing it though). I don't know, I might actually just get the bundle and trade in my old 3DS or something since the buttons on it are starting to go out on me. You can play regular ds games on N3DS right?

Yeah, I realized this pretty much after I made the post (didn't feel like editing it though). I don't know, I might actually just get the bundle and trade in my old 3DS or something since the buttons on it are starting to go out on me. You can play regular ds games on N3DS right?

Yup, DS games play fine. My wife has been doing that a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

My red new 3DS XL arrived today; I got my ID linked up to it and am in the process of re-downloading all of my past games. Shitty thing is that since I didn't do a system transfer, I can't salvage anything from what's already on my SD card, meaning I just lost all of my save data. It's one thing if it were just games, but I'm mostly bummed about never being able to access my old Swapnote files ever again.

I'm trying to get over it, and I'm relieved that I own physical cartridges of games that would devastate me the most if their progress were lost (Animal Crossing, Smash, Pokémon). This is probably the most disheartening/depressing experience of buying a new system I've ever had haha; normally I'd be jumping with excitement and mess around with my new toy for hours, but right now I'm just leaving it sitting in a corner because the thought of having to start all over for everything, including Streetpass Mii Plaza, is rather daunting. Plus I'm still waiting for my screen protectors before I do anything major with the thing.

Having a new 3DS model is pretty awesome though, I don't think I can ever go back to the original size because the XL is extremely comfy and I feel like I can hold it further from my face and not sacrifice clarity. My only issue is how flimsy the shoulder buttons feel; they're miles better than the original 3DS's, but still don't feel nearly as secure or tough as the DS Lite's.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still want to get a New 3DS one day. I want one to play Xenoblade Chronicles, have amiibo support without having to lug around an NFC Reader, the good 3D mechanic, and simply because I want to always get the newest model.

I'm torn on if I should get a New 3DS or an XL model. I usually get the XL models of the DS family but those faceplates.....

Well I guess it depends on whether NoA actually produces those considering the only way to get the small model, in North America, is through the Happy Home Designer bundle right now. There's importing, but that's more expensive than it needs to be.

Also, sorry you had to go through the shit that is the new3DS transfer process, Sean. What I did was transfer all the stuff using my computer into a microsd about a month before release (just by moving the files with my PC), I just popped that in an adapter and used it in the old 3DS XL until the time came. Nintendo really doesn't do a good job of explaining that you can do that.

Edited by Conando

Yeah the killer blow was that it's impossible for me to do a system transfer (hell, my original 3DS doesn't even go to the main screen anymore, it just stays on a black screen whenever I attempt to turn it on). I did back up my files expecting to be able to transfer them to my newXL once I linked my Nintendo ID to it, but nawp. Nintendo doesn't make this shit easy. I don't understand why save files have to be copy-protected; it was really easy to back them up for Wii games.

Lesson here is, do not close your 3DS when you're booting up a game. I didn't mean to since I was waiting in a line and did it without thinking, but that one mistake cost me fucking everything.

I can understand the games themselves but having saves themselves be copy protected just sounds silly to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my N3DS for less than a week and already I had to send it in to Nintendo for a repair. That Streetpass Mii Plaza game of all things corrupted by refusing to update after I lost internet connection during my first attempt. I thought at first that the data on the SD card was messed up and I could simply delete it and try to update it again. Big mistake. It rendered the entire game completely inoperable by telling me I needed to update in order to play, and then telling me after each attempt that the game already was up to date. It wasn't my SD card that was the problem; I tried two other ones, both of them previously unused and void of any data, and the update would always fail. Called Nintendo and they had absolutely no idea what the problem is so they told me to send it in.

Now I get to be three weeks or more without the system I just blew over 200 dollars on that I wasn't initially planning on buying right now, and due to its newness I am FREAKING OUT that Nintendo will either replace my system with a refurbished console, meaning I basically paid for a new console and ended up stuck with a used one, or that whoever is in charge of repairs is a fucking amateur and sends back my 3DS with fresh scratches on both screens that clearly weren't there before since the first thing I did when I took it out of the box was apply screen protectors, screen protectors that took me several hours to properly apply and was forced to remove because it's Nintendo's stupid repair policy that I remove them first lest they do it for me.

Yes I'm pretty damn bitter right now. I'm beyond stressed about this entire mess, and I don't know if I should even place faith in Nintendo's repair process because I've heard a few bad repair stories in the past and am always paranoid that the worst will happen. Even if it comes back perfectly fine and intact, I fucking hate how I had to spend a surprise 200 dollars and not do shit with anything for several weeks.

I've had an instance where I had to send in my original 3DS 2 months after getting it. Then I sent in a broken 3DS XL that got crushed when I was getting jostled in a crowd (I had it for THREE WEEKS). Lastly, I had to send in my Wii U because the GamePad was no longer connecting to the console. I'll tell you that they at least always come back clean as a whistle with no scratches and feel LIKE new. Not sure if it'd actually be new, but they seem to pride themselves in sending back a perfect replacement.

Edited by Conando
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thought I'd ask here. I'm trying to update my 3ds to the lastest update and no dice. It says unable to update system will restart.

I tried to change the dns of my connection as per ni tendo support page and no dice.

I seriously hate Nintendo's online infrastructure 

Can you connect to the Internet otherwise, to use the browser, for instance?  Might also be worth leaving it twenty-four hours and trying again in case something's been going on on Nintendo's end.