Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

You talk about it as if it's a bad thing that minigame compilation games exist.

No I didn't.

Neither does deciding that an entire series of consoles has barely any third party support without any evidence to back it up.

Last I checked I didn't need damning evidence when the statement being made is about as common knowledge as "the sky is blue."

I did, you're saying the argument that PS2 had lots of shovelware is tired and has no evidence.

Didn't say that either. You clearly didn't read all of my posts if you think I ever said that the PS2 didn't have shovelware.

You are wrong, have a nice day :)

:rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Last I checked I didn't need damning evidence when the statement being made is about as common knowledge as "the sky is blue."

If you think the DS has poor third party support then the only thing I can say to you is "roflmao".

Seriously, this argument appears to be going nowhere right now. It all started when Tornado assumed the DS2 would be filled with shitty ports of iPod and Wii games, but wouldn't the DS be filled with ports of PS1 and updated SNES games? Like I said before, people seem to have tons of respect for the GBA for some crazy reason, even though it was also filled with SNES ports and shovelware. Just look at the PSP aswell, where's the legions of ports of shitty Wii/PS2/iPod games? Where?

Give me one good reason to believe the DS2 won't be getting the same rather amazing treatment the DS has been getting. No, shovelware and ports is not one of them, because every console gets those, and you have no reason to believe the DS2 would get any more than its predecessors.

Edited by Lyra

If you think the DS has poor third party support then the only thing I can say to you is "roflmao".

Since when is the DS the successor system to the SNES? Or a console for that matter. You are again debating a point I never made in the first place.

Just look at the PSP aswell, where's the legions of ports of shitty Wii/PS2/iPod games? Where?

They still come out. The PSP isn't nearly as popular so it simply doesn't get as much games period.

Give me one good reason to believe the DS2 won't be getting the same rather amazing treatment the DS has been getting. No, shovelware and ports is not one of them, because every console gets those, and you have no reason to believe the DS2 would get any more than its predecessors.

I already have explained my reasoning.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

The DS isn't a successor system to the SNES, is it?

Neither is the DS2 a successor to the iPod. What the hell is your reasoning?

EDIT: Arg nvm, you were talking about the GC/Wii again.

I already have explained my reasoning.

I said one good reason.

The reason why the DS2 won't get clogged up with iPod and Wii ports is the same reason the first DS isn't clogged up with SNES/PS1/N64 ports.

They still come out.

Do I remember anyone saying the DS2 would get zero shovelware/ports? Nope.

Edited by Lyra

Neither is the DS2 a successor to the iPod.

When did I say this? The closest I've said is that they have similar power and similar functional capabilities.

What the hell is your reasoning?

SNES -> N64/Gamecube: Third Party Developers stopped giving a shit. Assuming that the DS2 will get the same developer love that the current system gets is just that: An assumption.

The reason why the DS2 won't get clogged up with iPod and Wii ports is the same reason the first DS isn't clogged up with SNES/PS1/N64 ports.

The circumstances between the DS and the DS2 are not the same. The DS isn't clogged up with ports because there is nothing to port it from. The most similar hardware to the DS debuted 14 years ago. As one should imagine, it is kind of hard to do a cheap port from a considerably more powerful system. Ergo, it isn't as viable to do lazy shit ports of more recent games because it isn't as easy to do so.

The DS2, meanwhile, looks powerful enough to easily port recent games from two systems absolutely loaded with shit games. And Nintendo being Nintendo will likely advertise the system to the people who would likely buy said games in the first place. I don't see how it is hard to understand how a system similar in specifications to one platform (iPhone) and explicitly mentioned to be easy to port from another platform (Wii) will not proceed to get loaded with the same types of games as those systems when the target market for all three platforms will be roughly the same.

What in the world are you on about Tornado?

Have you ever even played an iPhone App game? They aren't proper games, they're just little time consuming things you can play on a bus or something. Also they cost about £3, not £30 like a DS game.

I really don't see why in the world you expect iPhone App games to dominate the DS2 market and I can't even imagine how you got to that assumption.

Who cares if they're marketed at the same target audience, god forbid Nintendo should draw in some of the casual audience.

At the very worst I'd expect several iPhone ports to appear as DSWare but never as full retail games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have you ever even played an iPhone App game? They aren't proper games, they're just little time consuming things you can play on a bus or something. Also they cost about £3, not £30 like a DS game.

I've played iPhone games ranging from $$3 to $10. The latter could very easily be passed off for the $25 DS releases and no one would be the wiser.

I really don't see why in the world you expect iPhone App games to dominate the DS2 market and I can't even imagine how you got to that assumption.

Should I put it in all caps or something? Write it phonetically?

The hell with it. You've taken so many of my posts out of context and put so many words in my mouth that it seems to me you are doing it on purpose, and the only thing trying to explain to you is doing is getting childish people to neg-rep me.

Who cares if they're marketed at the same target audience, god forbid Nintendo should draw in some of the casual audience.

:blink:

Don't you even dare try and lump that shit on me. I made a statement of fact. I wasn't passing judgment, so don't act as if I was.

Edited by Tornado

I've played iPhone games ranging from $$3 to $10. The latter could very easily be passed off for the $25 DS releases and no one would be the wiser.

Then please give me some examples because the Sims 3 is the most expensive App game I've seen but at least if that was ported it could probably hold it's own as a DS game.

Should I put it in all caps or something? Write it phonetically?

The hell with it. You've taken so many of my posts out of context and put so many words in my mouth that it seems to me you are doing it on purpose, and the only thing trying to explain to you is doing is getting childish people to neg-rep me.

Well maybe you should because I don't see how this:

The circumstances between the DS and the DS2 are not the same. The DS isn't clogged up with ports because there is nothing to port it from. The most similar hardware to the DS debuted 14 years ago. As one should imagine, it is kind of hard to do a cheap port from a considerably more powerful system. Ergo, it isn't as viable to do lazy shit ports of more recent games because it isn't as easy to do so.

The DS2, meanwhile, looks powerful enough to easily port recent games from two systems absolutely loaded with shit games. And Nintendo being Nintendo will likely advertise the system to the people who would likely buy said games in the first place. I don't see how it is hard to understand how a system similar in specifications to one platform (iPhone) and explicitly mentioned to be easy to port from another platform (Wii) will not proceed to get loaded with the same types of games as those systems when the target market for all three platforms will be roughly the same.

could mean anything other than 'DS2 will likely be loaded with ports of shovelware iPhone and Wii games'

EDIT: Ahhahha, sorry Jake, was still typing my post when you posted that.

My previous post was meant to touch on how the issue of shovelware will never really be resolved unless companies start reviewing all games so that they meet certain "standards"; then you basically have another iPhone app store...

From my experience with the DSi I expect the "DS2" to take a similar route with enhanced support for third party "apps" (if you will) which will be cheap or range in price including the rubbish shovelware cash-ins we all know and love, along with games on cartridge media.

Actually I'm more interested right now in what form of storage Nintendo intend to use for games (if any!?), and if it will be backwards compatible with the DS (which I hope it is). I remember seeing some mock screens a while ago on a site and I do think that some elements of it could be pretty nifty if implemented correctly.

People are complaining about shovelware on a console that is just a rumour? laugh.gif

Anyway I'd love this if it is real. If it does get Iphone games, maybe I'll get to play that MGS4 game :). There are quite a few good games on the I-Phone that I'd want to be ported..

I'd love GC one, too, though. Luigi's Mansion with the Stylus would be great. But I still want a New Play Control Wind Waker on the Wii.. But is Nintendo still make NPC games? I haven't seen one since Jungle Beat orPikmin 2, unless you count the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

People are complaining about shovelware on a console that is just a rumour? laugh.gif

Anyway I'd love this if it is real. If it does get Iphone games, maybe I'll get to play that MGS4 game :). There are quite a few good games on the I-Phone that I'd want to be ported..

I'd love GC one, too, though. Luigi's Mansion with the Stylus would be great. But I still want a New Play Control Wind Waker on the Wii.. But is Nintendo still make NPC games? I haven't seen one since Jungle Beat orPikmin 2, unless you count the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I'm still amazed Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine HAVEN'T been ported to the Wii yet. I'll be very surprised if we reach the end of the Wii's life and nothing was done with them. While the devices in LM and MS were actually designed to show off the dual-control stick and analogue shoulder button set-up, they'd be just at home with pointer controls (perhaps a d-pad toggle to switch between light and heavy spray considering the B button isn't analogue (goodness knows why)).

NPC Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine would make a pretty cool combo pack actually...

Failing all this, talk of GC games on DS makes me imagine "Super Mario Sunshine DS", the sequel to "Super Mario 64 DS". Multiple characters! New missions! New mini-levels! Accrelometer Minigames! Incredibly tiny yet strangely fun multiplayer mode! Random insertion of a little level inspired by Mario Galaxy with Mario Galaxy hub music!

8D

Edited by JezMM

I actually would get into a handheld that has Gamecube ports. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

I'll never understand why people get so excited for ports of games they have already played. Especially when it's a port of something like Mario Sunshine, since it's something still easy to get a hold of and can be played on a current gen system. I'd take a completely new game every time even if I couldn't be sure that it would be as good as an old favorite.

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that we get info that the DS2 might be as powerful as the GCN and most people are drooling over the chance to play ports of old games instead of the new gaming content this device could bring?

• 2 weeks later...

NINTENDO 3DS (tentative name)

The press release.

- Release sometime within the next fiscal year (April 2010 to March 2011). It won't be until after E3, of course.

-Backwards compatibility with DS and DSi games (yay more region locking)

- 3D! Actual 3D like Avatar! And without the glasses!

This has the potential to be so bloody amazing. Roll on E3!

Edited by Blue Blood

Also, the GB Micro was released not long before the DS was launched, remember that.

No, the Game Boy Micro launched about eight months after the DS, which is practically commercial suicide.

I seriously don't know what on Earth led them to that decision, really.

Also, nice- so long as it's backward-compatible, that's fine. Shame it's unlikely they'll still have the GBA port. I just got a DS Rumble Pak. D:

I'll probably wait until there's actually a game on it that I want, rather than just rushing out and buying one for the sake of it. Although seriously, this makes me think the DSi XL is a joke. Then again, considering what I just said about the Game Boy Micro...

Edited by Mahzes

Lol at the topic title. The 3DS sounds awesome. I can't wait to see how the 3D part works out.

Okay, that announcement came completely out of fucking nowhere. Trust Nintendo to catch us off-guard.

Backwards compatability, coming so soon, and with glasses-less 3D? Sign me up!

We don't if it's coming 'soon' for sure yet. All we have for sure it that it will be out between E3 this year (because it's obviously not gonna be before then) and this time next year. Nintendo's policy as of late has been to unveil something then release it the following day almost, so it might be a safe bet that we'll see it soon. Damn thing will take forever to come here though, I'm sure.

Eh, can't say that I was caught off guard at all. A DS successor has been rumored for ages (hence this topic's exsistance) and Nintendo's made some mumblings regarding 3D as well.

Also...ZOMG, Nintendo's totally copying SONY!!![/kidding]

Can't say I'm interested in 3D. Not when Sony introduced it, and not with this announcement either. But it's still nice to get a confirmation on a DS successor right around the corner. Makes me glad I didn't cave and buy a DSi.

...3DS? I can understand trying to make DS a household name for generations like the Game Boy, but that just sounds gimmicky. It's going to take a lot of lulz for me to get use to saying that one in public.

This is beginning to sound suspiciously like the Virtual Boy, minus the red-dominant graphics.

Had a feeling they would have a new handheld out soon. Normally its like clockwork around the release and marketing of a third version of their current handheld but in this case its around their fourth. They go and make folk spend £159.99 RRP on the DSi XL and then all of a sudden it's "Oh hai guyz, thank you for spending £159.99 on the DSi XL but now we have a brand spanking new successor handheld on the way that you may be interested in" Customer: :angry:

Normally I don't buy any model after the original but this time I bought the DS Phat at £99.99(the RRP) on release and then bought an original DSi at release which cost me £149.99(the RRP) and now I feel ripped off too.

...3DS? I can understand trying to make DS a household name for generations like the Game Boy, but that just sounds gimmicky. It's going to take a lot of lulz for me to get use to saying that one in public.

3G3DGRPSi Lite XL.

Nah, 3DS may not even be the final name. It could be the code-name until the unveil it. Either way, I don't think it's awkward. Ever heard of 3DS Max?