Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

My 3DS is on its way back to me; I learned that they just straight up replaced my system with a "factory certified unit" (so, refurbished), but they assured me there would be no cosmetic or internal damage, so I'm crossing my fingers that it really does look as brand new as everyone who has ever received a refurbished system from Nintendo vouches.

A slight positive is that I can hope that I get one with an IPS screen this time. My last one was a TN, although it didn't look bad at all and it wasn't the sort of thing I would have returned my N3DS for.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those wondering about my 3DS update issue. It turns out my routers firewall was blocking the update.

I tried Nintendo's tip on temporarily disabling the firewall and it works. I guess I might have to do that from now on. Weird though cuz it was not an issue

I had before. Though I saw that it was a comment issue that others were having.

Got back my N3DS the other day. Turned out it was the same one, they didn't replace it with a refurbished system like I was told what happened? Anyway normally I would have been fine with that, in fact I would have preferred to have the same system back since I bought it brand new... if they didn't send it back with a freaking scratch on the top screen! It wasn't even a light mark either, it's the kind you could actually feel when you wipe it with a cloth. Specifically there was a dot-shaped chip on it that you could see even when light wasn't shining on it, so I couldn't just ignore it while it was in use.

I was livid, and this was something I was totally paranoid about when I sent it in. I called them and (politely and non-accusingly) arranged to send it back, this time opting for an actual replacement after they offered me the choice. It's probably going to be a refurbished system after all, but I'm trying to place my remaining faith in the idea that it will be as new-looking as everyone who has ever bought a refurbished system vouches it to be, and I feel rather non-trusting in whoever is repairing my 3DS to replace the top screen without damaging something else. Of course it's entirely possible that they'll scratch the replacement 3DS during the system transfer process...

There's the slim possibility that it happened during shipment (either to or from their repair center) but I honestly really doubt it?? It was fairly well-packaged both ways and it couldn't have been moving around in the box. Plus it was on a screen: the inside of the system and not the shell. I was very careful to not accuse Nintendo of scratching the screen themselves while I was on the phone, but I can't imagine how else this would have happened

I can't believe how much headache the 3DS has been giving me these past several weeks and it's really put me off from playing other games at the moment, so I've been finding other hobbies to take my mind off it such as reading, lmao

I got the original 3DS after the first big price drop. I ended up having to mail it off twice for repairs, both while under warranty and both times for speaker issues if I recall, and I'd mention the dead pixels on the screen while I was at it. So I'm on my third 3DS, and it's lasted me a couple years, so it's out of warranty. A couple of weeks ago I JUST beat Azure Striker Gunvolt (great game, by the way) and then later turned on my 3DS again to play Metroid II because I was so bored that I was willing to suffer. I only had it running for a short time when the top screen started glitching, resizing, getting lines, fading in and out, going totally black/white, all that kind of stuff. After turning the system on and off a couple times then leaving it on for a bit it seemed to go back to normal, but I haven't turned it on since. It's sitting in my apartment, so I don't have it right now, but I'm suspicious that when I turn it on next time it's just going to be back to a non-functioning top screen. If so it would be tempting to use this as an excuse to get a beautiful new XL, but I'm just not incredibly attached to the system right now.

I don't know what to tell you, man. The East Syracuse factory always sent back perfect condition replacements, or fixed originals, to me. There was never an issue with screen scratches at least.

Thinking about giving a 3DS a spin. What's big on it that wasn't around 3 years ago when I almost bought a 3DS? I know Dual Destinies, and that will be the top of my list, but otherwise I'm completely ignorant.

...I wouldn't even know where to start.  Lots of things.  If Dual Destinies is at the top of your list, then there's Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney, for one thing, but I can't point off the top of my head to that many other things of a visual novel bent - Virtue's Last Reward is very good, though, and there are of course the 3DS Laytons, though I didn't rate Miracle Mask.

Outside that sort of genre, Eurogamer's Best 3DS Games list has plenty of the big-hitters in it, and the comments have some pretty good calls too.  Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Zelda, Etrian Odyssey, Resident Evil: Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, Mario & Luigi, Codename: Steam... and that's not even starting on the eShop.  Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Box Boy, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Denpa Men, Mutant Mudds, Steamworld Dig... the list goes on.  There aren't many 3DS games I regret getting.  (Fire Emblem is one of them.)

Nintendo Selects return in Europe

http://gonintendo.com/stories/243519-noe-pr-selection-of-nintendo-3ds-games-to-join-nintendo-selects?page=1#comment-28724

NoE PR - SELECTION OF NINTENDO 3DS GAMES TO JOIN NINTENDO SELECTS VALUE RANGE ON OCTOBER 16TH

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Star Fox 64 3D and more to join the first ever Nintendo 3DS Nintendo Selects line-up
28 September, 2015 by nintendaan | Comments: 7

28th September, 2015 – Nintendo Selects is a range of popular Nintendo games offered at great value. Whether you want to discover a game you may have missed the first time around or simply just get a great deal ahead of Christmas, the Nintendo Selects range offers varied gaming experiences at a value offering. With over 20 classic Wii titles already available to enjoy as part of the Nintendo Selects range for Wii and Wii U, that line-up is set to expand and get even bigger on 16th October when Nintendo 3DS games, playable on the Nintendo 3DS family of handheld systems including Nintendo 2DS, join the Nintendo Selects range for the very first time.

Nintendo of Europe is set to re-release six of the most popular games for the Nintendo 3DS, which have sold a combined total of over 3.8 million units across Europe to date. The line-up is set to include:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Following on from the 1992 Super NES title The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, discover a new story in the kingdom of Hyrule. Armed with new items and the ability to move across walls as if he were painted on them, Link must conquer perilous dungeons in his quest to restore peace to two very different worlds.

Star Fox 64 3D: The Star Fox team returns for one of its greatest missions, originally released as Lylat Wars in Europe. Blast enemies as you fly through ruined cityscapes and dense meteor fields, and take on friends in local multiplayer in this action-packed 3D shooter.

nintendogs + cats: Have you ever wanted to play with puppies and kittens in the palm of your hand? Look after a range of breeds, teach them tricks, enter them in different challenges and activities, and dress them up in a range of accessories. Different breeds are available to choose at the start of each of the game’s three versions: French Bulldog, Toy Poodle, and Golden Retriever. All breeds can be unlocked in all versions.

Mario Tennis Open: Thrilling tennis action for up to four players, either online or in Local Play. Run your opponent ragged with topspin, backspin, lobs and more, then get in position to pull off a stunning Chance Shot that’s sure to leave them completely bamboozled!

Yoshi’s New Island: Yoshi and Baby Mario are reunited for a free-wheeling platform adventure packed with classic Yoshi gameplay, all wrapped up in a collection of dreamy art styles. Hunt high and low for countless collectibles, and even smash through obstacles with the new Mega Eggdozers.

Mario Party: Island Tour: A content-packed party in your pocket! Dive into 80 hilarious new minigames and share the fun with friends via Download Play, where four people can party on together with just one Game Card between them.

Owners of a handheld system in the Nintendo 3DS family, including Nintendo 2DS, can look forward to great games at great value when these six Nintendo 3DS titles join the Nintendo Selects range for the very first time across Europe on 16th October.

Hopefully if they return in the NA we'll get a better older selection, both Kid Icarus and Ocarina 3D should really be in the lineup especially with all the scalping on them

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just about to get into the 3DS scene properly with a 2DS on the way this week so this is great timing for someone like me. Given the way Ninendo games hold their price though, I can't get too excited about this until they say what the price range is for the new Selects titles.

I'm just about to get into the 3DS scene properly with a 2DS on the way this week so this is great timing for someone like me. Given the way Ninendo games hold their price though, I can't get too excited about this until they say what the price range is for the new Selects titles.

Selects in the US on wii were $20, I imagine they were similar in EU as well. Selects are always bargain release, so by previous standard around a third of the original retail value, though in the case of the 3DS games it may be half due to their lower starting price

So... speaking of Europe, I'd like to talk about some depressing news that hit me just now regarding Nintendo. I wanted to talk about this in some general Nintendo topic but this is the closest I can find for it.

I know many of you probably won't care for this news, but it's pretty significant to me. Nintendo of Europe has officially cut ties with Greece. This means Greece won't be getting Nintendo products anymore. I honestly should've seen this coming when the supply of amiibo decreased and how only a few select Nintendo games were making their way in stores. And those too, in limited quantities. 

The thing is though, with Greece, it's always been weird with Nintendo. There doesn't really exist a Nintendo of Greece. Most Nintendo products are imported from the UK or Germany and re-sold by Nortec, a small independent company. They had a partnership with Nintendo for the longest time and now it's just over. They said they were doing fine financially, so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Some people are speculating that Nintendo is just doing this to actually distribute the products themselves to Greece, others think it's got to do with taxes. I'm not sure what to think. I don't want Nintendo to just disappear from Greece like what happened with Brazil.

I'll link the article and translate what Nortec has to say about this in case anyone is interested. Though, I doubt that's the case since most people don't care about things that don't affect their country.

http://www.enternity.gr/Article/Games/News/Διακοπή-συνεργασίας-Nortec-Multimedia---Nintendo-of-Europe/33216.html

"To our beloved partners and friends,

As you may all be aware, Nortec Multimedia has withstood the economic crisis that hit the country the past 6 years. To this day our company is standing strong and healthy. However, one important issue involving imports has forced us to end our long partnership with Nintendo. For that reason, we regret to inform you with great sadness that our partnership with Nintendo ends on 31-12-2015.

We would like to express our gratitude to our partners for the amazing love and support over the past years, and of course, to all our customers and fans. In addition, we wish the very best of luck to Nintendo on their future plans and activities in Greece, Cyprus, and the Balkans."

I have to admit, I cried when I read this. They make it sound as if it will be temporary, but in the end it's all up to Nintendo on whether or not they want to continue distributing their products. 

That statement seems very positive about Nintendo.  I wonder if it was a decision from on high that Nortec's associates at NoE weren't party to, or if it was something genuinely beyond Nintendo's control.

Wow, a lot of people seem to be having technical issues on their 3DS' going by this topic :o. Never had an issue with mines myself and I have a bog standard original one. Saying that, I haven't switched it on since May or June....

There just isn't anything on coming out for the 3DS for me to get excited about :/ I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime: Federation Force, but other than that, nowt. Tempted to get Sonic Boom though, just for the sake of it.

EDIT: Didn't realise Renegade Kid are re-releasing MOON and Dementium. Both games looked really good to me, so that's good news that I can finally play them :D

Edited by Scott
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo sent back my 3DS with another scratch, this time underneath the top screen rather than on the outer surface. I called them up and told them about my situation; the rep didn't give me the time of day this time and even sounded visibly annoyed at me. So since I can't send it back for repairs for it being too minor for them to bother with, I'm stuck with this one. Not that I would have been leaping at the chance to send it back a third time anyway, as I've grown mistrustful of Nintendo's repair service at this point.

I'm thinking of selling this one off and just getting another one. The scratch doesn't ruin the system, but when I pay for a new system I expect to own a system in new condition for a good while, and I'm annoyed at Nintendo's amateur repair service (at least the one in California) that I don't like the idea of sticking with this one after having repeated 3DS troubles over the past month. If anybody on the forum is interested, I might give it away for some cheap/negotiable price, like $150 or even less than that. It's a red New 3DS XL and aside from that one scratch it's in gently used condition; I can take pics of course. I'm still mulling over whether to bother, so I might make a topic in the marketplace forum if I decide to wholeheartedly go through with this.

...That seems incredibly strange to me that the repair center in the West is wore than the one in East Syracuse, NY. You know, considering the whole Nintendo HQ actually being on the West Coast. Honestly, I can't blame you for getting fed up with it. I'd say not to give up on the N3DS itself though, because it does actually have better build quality (and a better display) than the old model. Still, that rep sounds off to me, I've had reps that seriously offered me repair for dust that got caught under the screen (twice in a year in fact). I can't imagine that's more of a problem on their end than actually having Wolverine be the one replacing the screens.

(That last bit was a terrible joke about how the scratches could happen)

Yeah the N3DS itself is still perfectly usable, and I can't see the scratch except under certain angles of light. I'm just really really annoyed at the way Nintendo handled this whole mess and it was kind of a shock that the rep stonewalled me even after explaining the trouble I've had with the repair process.

I'm definitely not gonna invest in another system right away, I decided. I might wait for Nintendo to either release another color (that blue model that Europe and Singapore got is really sexy) or announce a price drop once the NX is under way. ...Well, by the time the NX comes out I'm probably going to lose total interest in getting another 3DS when I can just save up for the brand new system, which might be for the best

• 2 weeks later...

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate shipped 4 Million copies, so as a thanks, you'll be able to download the Palicoes 4 Ever 3DS Theme for free for one week! In the EU, at least - sadly, there doesn't seem to be an offer like that for the US.

• 5 months later...

DSiWare shop is shutting down a year from now, and you won't be able to add funds for points after the end of September. http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/255104-dsi-shop-closure-full-english-details

Honestly... I've searched high and low for worthwhile games on the service and very few have stood out to me, so I can't see this being a huge loss compared to the wealthy library the 3DS eShop has. Shantae: Risky's Revenge is no longer a must-have due to its higher DSi shop pricing and availability on other platforms (there was a leak that confirmed Director's Cut will be coming to 3DS in the future), but WayForward's predecessors to Mighty Switch Force, Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way, are both good titles to have if you're a fan of the company. Puzzle League Express is another game I can vouch for; it's a truncated version of Planet Puzzle League, but if you never picked up a copy of the game and don't care too much about the missing multiplayer components, getting it for $5 in downloadable format is essential. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else.

Isn't the DSiWare library still available on the 3DS eShop anyway, or are they technically different storefronts?

Their statement implies that you won't even be able to re-download games regardless of what system you're playing on, so I assume all DSiWare games will disappear off the 3DS's shop by next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Finally got a normal-sized N3DS today.  There'd been a couple of special releases in the US, including Pokemon Red and Blue, but they never turned up anywhere near me.  The Super Mario 3DLand made it to my Walmart, though and I tried to buy it Wednesday but they'd put it out too soon so I had to go back today.  My original 3DS had the A button finally give out which renders it unusable, and the N3DS XL is simply too big for me to play comfortably for more than a few minutes, so I was very glad to see this finally available in a practical size.  Switched out the Mario plates for the assorted 8-bit Nintendo characters alternate.