Awoo.

Natal's New Name

AdventChild

Well, Natal has a new name which IMO is pretty bad and dumb. Wave? Seriously? I thought Natal was already a uninteresting name to begin with. Though it still doesn't make me want to buy it. Even the price doesn't seem worth it.

Natal to be named Wave

Microsoft's Natal device has been named, priced and dated according to several reports.

The motion-sensing camera device will be officially named Wave at E3 next month, according to NowGamer.

Edge has also reported that it will be priced at $149 (£102) and released on October 26, although the source added the date may shift by several weeks either way.

It will also ship with the Arcade console for $299 (£204) and be backed by a major marketing campaign at release.

The Natal, which will be compatible with the Xbox 360 and Windows computers, was revealed at Microsoft's E3 conference last year.

Well, Natal has a new name which IMO is pretty bad and dumb. Wave? Seriously? I thought Natal was already a uninteresting name to begin with. Though it still doesn't make me want to buy it. Even the price doesn't seem worth it.

Natal to be named Wave

I can see it now from my "ghetto" friends...

"Yo, Novelty, U ridin da wave?!?!?!?! -HELLLZ YEAHHHH, got it at home hooked up to my Xbox!"

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll still call it the Eye-Toy 360.

Seriously, 'Wave' is completely uninteresting to me. Perhaps is will be better to point your hand at the screen instead of trying to use a remote, but still. I like controllers... The name ain't bad. 'Move' would probably fit this more than the PS3 Wiimote though.

Edited by Blue Blood

So, the Wiimote is the only original and semi-nice name? I mean, the Move was bad enough, but the Wave?

Natal was just the codename as they said from the start so it was always going to change just like what Nintendo does with it's consoles, Wave I wouldn't believe just yet as it's been discovered the past couple of days since the news broke that Microsoft already uses that name for a technology database plus it's been found Google owns that name for something too. So I think we may see a different name come E3.

It sounds a bit cliche'

I preferred Natal even if it was just a codename.

Edited by Shade737
  • Thumbs Up 3

When you take into consideration the switch from Revolution to Wii, this doesn't really seem so bad after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, the Wiimote is the only original and semi-nice name? I mean, the Move was bad enough, but the Wave?

I'm sorry, what? The Wii remote (not 'Wiimote'-- as far as I know Nintendo doesn't even call them that) isn't a semi-nice name at all. It's a shitty name that we've just stopped making fun of. It doesn't matter if it's 'original.'

I think the PlayStation Move and Microsoft Wave are a lot better names. Namely the PlayStation Move. I like the name for it.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Um. I don't think this is too bad a name. Sure Natal sounded alot cooler than...Wave. But this isn't as bad as Revolution to Wii. Now that was bad!

Wave really is no better or worse than Wii or Move, or indeed Natal. It's just a name, after all.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually prefer the name "Wave" to Natal. Wave rolls off the tongue, and I prefer to see it as a flowing "wave" rather than a random casual "waving" their arm like some insane person.

Makes it sit better in my mind that way ¦3

Natal made me think of post-natal depression... not a great omen. Just a name though. It's the price info through that link we should be looking at.

Natal made me think of post-natal depression... not a great omen. Just a name though. It's the price info through that link we should be looking at.

I was just able to mention that people keep saying "nay-tle" instead of "nat-aal", which is really annoying. Doesn't stop product being any less depressing though.

I was just able to mention that people keep saying "nay-tle" instead of "nat-aal", which is really annoying.

They should've used different spelling, then.

Why is everyone so caught up with the name? Look at the price point for that thing. I don’t know if Sony pushed out their costs on the Move as of yet, but at $150 Wave could well be undercut by 50% or more by Move. That is huge.

Bundling market campaign or not, the Wave will be made or broken by existing 360 owners choosing to pick the thing up. I was hoping for a 120-ish number, but it just seems like so much more to pay (on top of the console itself).

This will be a hard sell, at least to me.

Didn’t know it worked with PC’s too, that’s neat I guess.

Edited by Gallia

The PlayStation Move bundle is $100, comes with the Move, sub-controller, PlayStation Eye, and one game.

Eh, that’s still a significant difference (although it would be negated if you were in the need to buy more than 1).

Microsoft needs to be careful with this, lest they run into the problems Sony had at the beginning of this generation. Nobody will want to reach for the highest price point. A $150 add-on to a console is nasty.

Edited by Gallia

Well the $100 is for the general 'starter kit' and Sony have already said that they plan on customers being able to buy the Move separately, although I'm not entirely sure if that means with the sub-controller. I would hope so, since I think buying Wiimotes and nunchucks separately is a pain in the ass.

Regardless, I think a roughly $50 different between buying a PlayStation Move bundle and Microsoft's Wave (might as well get used to calling it that) is at least worth thinking about if you're seriously considering buying either of them. I still think the Move is really interesting. Microsoft's Wave hasn't really impressed me that much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well the $100 is for the general 'starter kit' and Sony have already said that they plan on customers being able to buy the Move separately, although I'm not entirely sure if that means with the sub-controller. I would hope so, since I think buying Wiimotes and nunchucks separately is a pain in the ass.

I'm sure Sony would probably force developers to allow control schemes that make the sub-controller superfluous.

[...] plus it's been found Google owns that name for something too.

Well yeah! Google Wave. If "Wave" really is going to be the new name of Natal, then I'm going to have to get used to people using the name without referring to Google's product.

It reminds me of the first few weeks Sonic Unleashed was announced. People kept on using the acronym "SU" and I kept on getting confused because I read that as "Sonic Underground". XP