Awoo.

GAME: a Christmas NiGHTS fangame

Core

Thanks a lot for the comment :)

I have received a lot of criticism about the emptiness of the levels. I'm not really good at designing levels, but at least I'm glad that everything else seem fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I heavily admire your ability to design and create a fully working fan-game in the space of 2 months. You certainly have a better idea of what is achievable than most fan-gamers... =]

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've never actually played NiGHTS, never had a saturn to play it on for start and don't have a wii yet either so can't play the sequel either (not that I'd want to without playing the original first). Recently though I've been more and more interested in playing Nights into Dreams.

I've heard many times concerns that any sequel/follow up would not live up to the orginal (and from many people that Journey didn't). With that in mind creating a fangame must have been a daunting experience. However its seems to me that you've done an excellent job! I haven't played your game, as I really want to play the orginial NiGHTS before playing any other version. But from the pictures and the video you uploaded it looks very impressive, far better than most fangames (of any series) that I've played. I'm amazed you managed to create it so quickly as well. Am really tempted to download it but think I better hold off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the kind words :) I hope you get to play a NiGHTS game someday.

It wasn't really a daunting experience, as I wasn't trying to make a game that would live up to the original. I was just trying to have some fun, taking my old 2D fangame and translating it into 3D.

Many people have said they are surprised at how fast I made the game, but when you consider that some parts of the code had already been written, and that I ripped all of the models, textures, animations, music tracks and sounds effects instead of making them myself... all remained to do, basically, was the levels and part of the programming.

I've never been too ambitious either; I didn't want to make more than 4 levels and never tried to code anything that seemed too complicated. Also, making a NiGHTS fangame is much easier than making a Sonic one (I know that; I've tried to make a 3D Sonic fangame in the past).

Edited by Core
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, with a fangame you don't have to worry about it living up to the original. Its just that I'd heard many times about how the first NiGHTS game got it so right and concern that a sequel wouldn't. So I kinda presumed it would be alot more difficult to make a NiGHTS fangame than a Sonic one. Of course, not having played NiGHTS I don't really know what I'm talking about, so its interesting to hear its actually the other way round and Sonic ones are more difficult to create.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

I've been working on a Christmas version of my NiGHTS fangame... inspired by Christmas NiGHTS, which was kind of a Christmas-themed demo version of "NiGHTS into dreams" with a lot of extra stuff.

So this new game, "NiGHTS: Christmas Reverie" is based on my previous game. There's a "Christmas mode" activated if you play in December (or you can permanently enable or disable it in the setup), which changes the graphics to something more Christmasy.

Here are two screenshots, normal mode on the left, Christmas mode on the right.

th_sx2.png th_sx1.png

(the screenshots were initially larger, but Photobucket has resized them for some reason. In any case you can now freely choose the game's window size)

There is only one (brand new) level, but the game also features a bunch a extra modes: Link Attack, Time Attack, Chase Mission, Battle, Race, 2-Players Battle, 2-Players Race, and a Sonic mode.

th_sx3.png th_sx4.png th_sx5.png

I don't guarantee that all of these modes are particularly well done. I was just trying to have fun coding them and making the game.

The game will be released on 1st December. It's sort of a Christmas present. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi everyone.

I've been working on a Christmas version of my NiGHTS fangame... inspired by Christmas NiGHTS, which was kind of a Christmas-themed demo version of "NiGHTS into dreams" with a lot of extra stuff.

So this new game, "NiGHTS: Christmas Reverie" is based on my previous game. There's a "Christmas mode" activated if you play in December (or you can permanently enable or disable it in the setup), which changes the graphics to something more Christmasy.

Here are two screenshots, normal mode on the left, Christmas mode on the right.

th_sx2.png th_sx1.png

(the screenshots were initially larger, but Photobucket has resized them for some reason. In any case you can now freely choose the game's window size)

There is only one (brand new) level, but the game also features a bunch a extra modes: Link Attack, Time Attack, Chase Mission, Battle, Race, 2-Players Battle, 2-Players Race, and a Sonic mode.

th_sx3.png th_sx4.png th_sx5.png

I don't guarantee that all of these modes are particularly well done. I was just trying to have fun coding them and making the game.

Very interesting, the new level looks okay, but what I'm mostly interested in are the new modes you're putting in. And I see you added in the true blue, so you're implanting him into the game, that sounds very interesting! And do I see a certain NiGHTS look alike we all know :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone.

YES.

Just so much YES. I absolutely love the original game, and to have new modes come out as well as a new design for Christmas...

now I feel guilty I can't give anybody a Christmas gift of this magnitude :P

Looks amazing, can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

The game is here! Click here to download (33 MB).

I hope everything goes well.

Here's a video:

Note: In 2-Players modes, only the first player can use a controller. The second played has to use the keyboard (you can configure the keys in the setup program).

If you have any question, comment or criticism don't hesitate to post.

P.S.: Don't expect too much from the Sonic mode, it's pretty shoddy.

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

The game is here! Click here to download (33 MB).

I hope everything goes well.

Here's a video:

Note: In 2-Players modes, only the first player can use a controller. The second played has to use the keyboard (you can configure the keys in the setup program).

If you have any question, comment or criticism don't hesitate to post.

P.S.: Don't expect too much from the Sonic mode, it's pretty shoddy.

Playing as sonic didn't feel bad at all, it wasn't bad all I can say. And the Christmas remade levels give me the feel of Christmas alright, the race I haven't tried yet, but Il try it. Nice job Core!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Core, thats a really sweet game you made there, I really like it, however, there are some little nitpics I would like to tell you.

First, I think the boost meter is running out just a little to fast, I don´t remember it to be like that in the original Nights into Dreams. Or my memory is playing with me right now, that could also be the case. ^^

Second, the lack of Sound Settings in the options is a bit of pain while talking to people on skype for example. It would be really awesome if you could implement those at some point.

And I also have a little request, Fullscreen doesn´t seem to be there (or I just have a older version of the game, downloaded it on page one of the thread yesterday)but thats not the request, the request is the resolution 1440x900. If fullscreen is activated by a button or so, having this resolution would be great. I would highly appreciate it if you could implement it. :)

Or just do it like in the Christmas Edition, where you can type it in yourself, thats probably the even better solution! ;)

Anyway, thats all I wanted to say.

Happy Holidays man and a joyious New Year, and try not to drink so much when the years change! ;)

Edited by Tobibrocki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks a lot for your feedback :)

First, I think the boost meter is running out just a little to fast, I don´t remember it to be like that in the original Nights into Dreams. Or my memory is playing with me right now, that could also be the case. ^^

You're right that it's running faster than in NiGHTS into dreams. That was a conscious design decision, but I may have made it a bit too fast ^^;

Second, the lack of Sound Settings in the options is a bit of pain while talking to people on skype for example. It would be really awesome if you could implement those at some point.

Well, I can try... What kind of settings do you want? Changing the volume of music & sound effects, or just an option to disable them? (because if it's the former, I don't know how to do that)

And I also have a little request, Fullscreen doesn´t seem to be there (or I just have a older version of the game, downloaded it on page one of the thread yesterday)but thats not the request, the request is the resolution 1440x900. If fullscreen is activated by a button or so, having this resolution would be great. I would highly appreciate it if you could implement it. :)

Or just do it like in the Christmas Edition, where you can type it in yourself, thats probably the even better solution! ;)

About fullscreen, I tried to implement it, but I removed it because when I hit the Windows key in fullscreen mode, it froze the screen and I had to restart my computer. I couldn't find a way to prevent this so I removed the option in the setup program. It's never been in a released version.

But I just modified the setup program so you can now enter any resolution just like in the Christmas version.

Download it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/uhqh1e

Happy Holidays man and a joyious New Year, and try not to drink so much when the years change! ;)

Well, I can try... What kind of settings do you want? Changing the volume of music & sound effects, or just an option to disable them? (because if it's the former, I don't know how to do that)

Edited by Tobibrocki

Well, it would be the former actually, but personally I would already be satisfied if its just one slider for sound in general. It´s not a necessity though, the game is fully playable, but if you should figure it out, make sure to implement it eventually. ;)

It´s really just a convenience thing in the end, however, the option to turn the sound off completely, is definitely something you should implement in an update. :)

OK I'll try to see if I can change the sound volume. If I can't, then I'll just add an option to turn it off.

Regarding the boost meter, I guess I´m just to used to the one in NiD thats all. But if you can balance it a bit more, that would be great! :)

Well I can't change it for those two games, else I would probably have to change the ranks requirements. But I make another NiGHTS fangame I'll be sure to remember that. Thanks again for your feedback.

• 10 months later...