Awoo.

Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Badnik Mechanic

A few days ago, a youtube channel called MortalKombatRebirth was made, it uploaded a short video showing a police interogation between a detective and a mysterious man.

That video, was the opening to something called Mortal Kombat Rebirth. The video is nearly 8 min long and shows us a very modern take on the Mortal Kombat franchise, everyone is a human (so far), there is no outworld or other dimensions. The characters are all human and have either birth defects, genetic disorders or have mutated their own bodies to become their one other dimensional counterparks.

For instance Baraka was a plastic surgeon that filed down his own teeth and inserted metal spikes into his own body. Reptile is the result of a genetic birth disorder, but Johnny Cage is however a human that was a movie star/kung fu expert.

Now heres the strangest bit... nobody knows if this is a game announcement, a teaser for a movie, or just a VERY expensive fan made movie.

Regardless of what it really is. It's fucking awesome and really well done.

Really, really weird..... I have no clue what this could possibly be. but it definitely caught my interest.

I've not really played Mortal Kombat since the first 2 games on Mega Drive but if they were to release a game as good as those again I'd buy it. That video looks like it may be a movie rather than a game but it would be a twist if it turned out to be a game.

The video is pretty gross and disgusting but cool at the same time, I didn't think YouTube allowed videos that gross and gory? Shocked they killed Johnny :(

Oh erm wow that was a intersting trailer for ... whatever it was no seriously that trailer was awesome I do hope it's a game release but a film release would be awesome and kicks the shit out of tekkens film =D but would much perfer a game than a film though

• Thumbs Up 1

They kind of Nolanized* it, Scorpion got it pretty badly. What's with all that fleshy stuff where his skull should be? It actually kind of reminds me of like an R Rated Street Fighter: The Movie. Also, I think Johnny Cage dieing horribly early on seems to be a trend with these movies.

Either way, it looks like it'll be pretty entertaining.

*Added an almost pretentious layer of realism that only serves to underscore how silly certain aspects of the franchise are, named after Christopher Nolan. Whether or not you think it worked for Dark Knight, the trend it started needs to end already.

^ Nolan? Hell, I watched the teaser and the only thing that went through my mind was "Hey, its like Twisted Metal: Black... but without cars!"

They kind of Nolanized* it, Scorpion got it pretty badly. What's with all that fleshy stuff where his skull should be? It actually kind of reminds me of like an R Rated Street Fighter: The Movie. Also, I think Johnny Cage dieing horribly early on seems to be a trend with these movies.

Either way, it looks like it'll be pretty entertaining.

*Added an almost pretentious layer of realism that only serves to underscore how silly certain aspects of the franchise are, named after Christopher Nolan. Whether or not you think it worked for Dark Knight, the trend it started needs to end already.

Umm, yeah, I don't understand the problem in "Nolanization". Sure, it may destroy your inner feeling of ULTIMATE NOSTALGIA, but it's actually pretty neat to make modernized versions of stories based on probable occurrences (Batman definitely being one of them, since it's easily one of the most realistic and grim superhero series to date).

This looks fucking incredible, I'm hoping that this is going to be released as a film, because this looks honest to God fantastic. I'm really rooting for what seems to be a trend in making legitimately good films based on video games; I hear good things about Prince of Persia, and this looks great already, so I'm hoping that movies based on games become more popular in the sense that comic book movies have.

Batman felt leagues more realistic than this. I agree with the Twisted Metal comparison Tornado used. Bunch of freaks in a tournament. It looks pretty good. It feels a little straight-to-tv movie despite its stylization, so I'm gonna have to call fan made on this. I think that harlequin baby line is straight from Wikipedia.

I don't see how they could have gotten legitimate Hollywood actors, along with a ridiculously high budget for what is seemingly a fan project. Wasn't it confirmed that this was a test to persuade Warner Bros. that a Mortal Kombat movie is marketable, or something?

I do have to wonder what studio would be suicidal enough to plunk down a few million dollars on a franchise that no one has really cared about for 15 years. Whether it ended up being good or not, it won't look like anything but a more cynical Hollywood cash in than usual (and yes, making everything Grim Dark would only add to that feeling).

Umm, yeah, I don't understand the problem in "Nolanization". Sure, it may destroy your inner feeling of ULTIMATE NOSTALGIA, but it's actually pretty neat to make modernized versions of stories based on probable occurrences (Batman definitely being one of them, since it's easily one of the most realistic and grim superhero series to date).

Realistic McGrimDark typically doesn't go very well with "supervillian plot of ultimate evil!" Batman Begins was fine. The Dark Knight attempted to be so "real" that it only made the sillier pieces of the plot stand out that much more.

In regards to Mortal Kombat, the backstories and general plot are made up of about a dozen different mythologies all blended together and made a mess out of. Shoehorning in all of the characters of the series by giving them the most depressing and "realistic" explanations possible is just stupid. And that isn't "baw nostalgia" talking, because the first time I ever paid attention to the story mode of a Mortal Kombat game was when I was 17 years old.

Edited by Tornado

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66904

Speculation has run rampant today with the debut of a short "Mortal Kombat" film (subtitled "Rebirth") that made its way anonymously to YouTube. Now, Latino Review reports that the film is, as many theorized, a test for a potential R-rated film reboot of the video game franchise.

The short is directed by Kevin Tancharoen, the director of last year's Fame, and features a cast that includes name actors like Michael Jai White (Jax), Jeri Ryan (Sonya Blade), Matt Mullins (Johnny Cage), Lateef Crowder (Baraka) and Ian Anthony Dale (Scorpion) with fight choreography by Larnell Stovall.

Though there is no guarantee that these actors will play the characters in a feature film version or even that a feature film will actually happen, the short is already a huge success online, with the word "Kombat" already a trending topic on Twitter.

Yeeeeup, it's real for those who wanted to know.

Personally, I love "different" takes on popular franchises, so long as they're good. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight is what got me into the Batman franchise in the first place, and even though the movies aren't 100% true to the comics in style and realism, they pull off everything so flawlessly I don't even care. I'm estatic to see how this turns out, and yes, while it does look a bit too ridiculous to be pulled off as anything "realistic", the whole concept behind it is cool and if pulled off properly will make a hell of a movie. The fight scene seen in the trailer looked awesome, and isn't that what Mortal Kombat is all about, awesome, over the top fighting? The story itself looks solid to me too, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

So if it is real, kinda sux that they killed Johny Cage off already, but I always liked Scorpion. The scene where Reptile was eating that head looked disgusting (in a good, realistic kinda way) and I like Baraka's back story. So if Scorpion killed Sub-Zero's brother... does that mean he killed Noob Saibot? I like how Scorpions spear is an assassin weapon, I wonder if he actually throws it or has some sort of device for it. Also, where's Liu Kang?

Edited by Lunar

Actually a lot of why I don't like Nolanization has to do with the bizarre lengths they often go to to try and ground something in reality. Barkara was the result of a crossbreed between two different dimensions with long pointed teeth and blades coming from his arms, so they had to find some way to explain why a human might look like that, and then he looked like a Star Trek alien.

Jeri Ryan speaks out on the film via Twitter

http://kotaku.com/5558850/that-mortal-kombat-trailer-jeri-ryan-explains

Actress Jeri Ryan of Star Trek: Voyage fame appears as Sonya Blade in a Mortal Kombat trailer dubbed "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth" that popped up online. Is it a game trailer? A movie trailer? Tell us, Jeri, tell us!

"Okay, so... Mortal Kombat," she tweets. "It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film."

Ryan said she did her role as a favor to a friend. "No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was," she adds. I can tell you what my reaction was: stoked.

While a Mortal Kombat film was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson (of Resident Evil movie fame) in 1995, an updated take on the franchise has been languishing in development hell. However, a lawsuit has been filed by the development partner of the original film as it signed a contract in 2006 to do a sequel.

The Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short was helmed by Kevin Tancharoen. He directed last year's Fame remake.

http://twitter.com/JeriLRyan

Intriguing, I wonder if this will actually go anywhere? Looks like it would have enough action and violence to please most people :P

Also, with Scorpion as the main character\possible hero, it's a very interesting take on the story and series as a whole.

I found that trailer frankly...amazing. I thought it was a great take on the franchise, doesn't look cheesy at all (like the older MK films) and best of all, it LOOKS like Mortal Kombat with it's grim and disgusting moments.

Come on WB, snatch this one up!

So if it is real, kinda sux that they killed Johny Cage off already, but I always liked Scorpion. The scene where Reptile was eating that head looked disgusting (in a good, realistic kinda way) and I like Baraka's back story. So if Scorpion killed Sub-Zero's brother... does that mean he killed Noob Saibot? I like how Scorpions spear is an assassin weapon, I wonder if he actually throws it or has some sort of device for it. Also, where's Liu Kang?

IIRC correctly the dead brother has always been the "original" sub zero in MK lore. with the sub zero from MK2 onwards being his brother... or something

Warner Bros have that sounds very similar to the movie idea clip so could they have approved the new movie idea?

Oh boy, thanks to my crappy connection it took me 3 days to watch the trailer, but it was damn worthy. :__D

The music, the ambience, the gore, that's what Mortal Kombat is all about :D

*brings back memories of playing Ultimate MK3 in the Genesis for days*

Sucks that they don't respect the lore and the mythology of the series, but you got to recongnise that is an awesome and impressive reimagening of the franchise.

Warner Bros have that sounds very similar to the movie idea clip so could they have approved the new movie idea?

I strongly believe it's just a coincidence, but I'd love if it were some form of indication. This could sell well, I'm sure of it!

Aw carp, now all my dreams of Seven Of Nine x Sonya Blade will be Seven Of Nine x De-Borged Seven Of Nine DX

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm despite that I'm not much of a mortal kombat fan, the vid did catch my eye and it does look very well.

• 6 months later...

So remember how we all liked this? Well Warner Bros didn't, they don't want to reboot the series... however... the guy who made it is making 10 webisodes of it!

According to Bloody Disgusting, the project is not dead, filming of 10 new episodes will start next month. The plot is very similar to the old movie from the sounds of it, and theres also a small list of cast and crew.

Anyone looking forward to it?