Awoo.

E3 Interview + Footage

SykoTech

There, they fixed your acceleration. You happy now?

I wish I could comment on these supposed changes, but the unfortunately-necessary ads keep freezing up at 11 seconds. ;;

There, they fixed your acceleration. You happy now?

No. We Sonic fans are NEVER satisfied :P.

• Thumbs Up 2

Awesome! Y'know, I DO see a difference between this footage and the leaks. Glad to see the physics tweaked.

You know, it's really nice to see gameplay video where the player isn't spamming the homing attack/jump dash like an idiot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is the first time I've seen that little victory dance Sonic does after opening a pod. It's so nice of Sega to make such a continent example of the times when that design doesn't work at all.

Funny thing though, Sonic now appears to be accelerating slower than he did in the Genesis games. Not sure what's up with that. Jumping looks less floaty, which is nice.

Edited by Phos

I won't claim to have an eye for the subtle details of gameplay, but this does kind of "feel" better, to my eyes. Maybe it's just because it's being played better, tho'...I dunno.

The physics seem less floating and more like the Classics, which is great.

That was really the only major complaint I had for this game...well, except for how easy the game still looks. That's probably me spending too much time playing the Classic games, because seeing some of the boss battles a second time in this game already presents you with the strategy they have in mind until you hit them enough times, and then it's just a matter of finishing them off quickly.

Still, the classic-like physics seem to be in order. As for everything else, I'm not too sure, but it is shaping up really well in my eyes.

Some things I think they added.

0:10 - Sonic twirls a bit when he moves horizontally off the spring. I don't remember this happening. It's like a Sonic CD thing.

1:34 - Some trouble getting up that little ramp without the spin dash. Good. You're supposed to need more speed for that.

• Good It looks like he's having a hard time getting up those slopes when he's walking.
    I don't like the way that Sonic can just get around loops and such with no effort now.
  • Good It looks like he's losing speed as he goes up those walls.
    Notice how it's possible for Sonic to not only perfectly maintain his speed when going up walls in Rush, but even gain some? It's a welcome change.
  • Bad They still have a ridiculous amount of speed boosters in pointless locations.
    Speaks for itself I think. Placing them at the bottom of every hill is silly, and having an abundance of paths where they're absolutely necessary is just as.
  • Good(-ish?) It looks like his jump animation might be faster.
    At any rate, the speed Sonic was spinning at when he jumped in S4 was too slow. In the classic games the speed was always faster than that and would vary depending on how fast he was actually moving. So if it's just faster, then it's an improvement on before. If the speed varies, then it could be perfect.
  • Bad He still starts his falling animation after running/rolling into the air.
    Somewhat jarring to look at, and is potentially gameplay affecting. Plus, just how cool is it when Sonic runs in mid-air in the classics? (I will note however that the falling animation IS adorable)
  • Good It looks like his acceleration has been reduced.
    Rush acceleration is pretty crazy.
  • Bad It looks like he still isn't wheel-o-feeting very often.
    Awesome animation that proves just how awesome modern Sonic is when used right needs more exposure.

I'm not actually sure if any of these are real changes, or just how the player is playing. It's kind of hard to judge. And those things that need to change still can in the coming months.

I want to add though, that this game has never looked like Rush to me. The physics in the state they were in back in the version that was leaked to death clearly were minimally adjusted Rush physics (bad for S4, good for Rush), but the actual gameplay just wasn't. Oh and I'm sad to see the minecart stage go. Shoot me. If it's replaced with something like Underground Zone or Coral Cave, preferably with the cart still being player controlled, I'll be happy. Anyone else good for that too?

Edited by Tropical Resort Zone
  • Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see they're making some significant changes quite early on, always a good sign. I still can't help but feel like a little too much of this game is spent up in the air though...

Seems to be a bit different physics-wise, but it's still got those stupid speed boosters in places where they don't have to be, along with the bad sound effects.

Also, it's disappointing that they're only showing off Splash Hill. I'm sick to death of that level, and they could at least show some bits of the other zones.

Love the tweaks that have been made so far, looks alot more classic now but I agree with many here that there are far too many speed boosters. They're fine in the Mega Drive titles where there is a long roller coaster trek ahead such as in Chemical Plant Zone but there's no need for them to be virtually everywhere.

News'd with credit to you Sykotech and Phos -

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/gamespots-e3-sonic-4-interview-with-gameplay-footage

Ooooh niiiice.

Glad to see that they improved the physics. I'm getting more excited about this game by the minute! :D

But.. there's FAR to many speed boosters.

Well I can certainly see the difference, maybe the only thing it bothers me are the precense of boosters everywhere and that Sonic seems to have the speedcap again :unsure: (even when spindashing) , but probably that sjust me getting so used to th most recent versions of Sonic.

I don't mind the HA, even with the leaks I just noticed 2 sections where they forced to do that in the whole game.

Also, it's disappointing that they're only showing off Splash Hill

We're all probably getting tired of it, especially with the leaks out there, but think about this. Splash hill is currently 25% of the game. Showing us one more zone would be halph the game. Though at least showing us the special stage would have been nice.

The official website has a Jaws in the art and badnik sections at least. =P He's from LLZ.

Btw, not sure if folks knew this, but the second trailer (with all the SHZ footage) is up at the XBOX marketplace for DL.

Now we can pretend to play the game on our TV!

• Thumbs Up 2

Btw, not sure if folks knew this, but the second trailer (with all the SHZ footage) is up at the XBOX marketplace for DL.

Now we can pretend to play the game on our TV!

Oh thanks for telling us Doc downloading it right now =D.

The newer build looks better I was alright with the older build but meh moaning fans got what they wanted then, I hope they do remove some of the speed pads in the game with so many in there the spin dash will be pointless really :/.

Edited by Crash

I have not watched the leaks, this is the first real footage of the game that i've seen besides what SEGA has released.

It's funnt that Sonic's not gaining any speed at all from rolling through a loop-de-loop and down a hill...they should fix that and the wheel-o-feet, i need more of it. Then i will be happy. Homing attack on the boss looks so effin' cheap. Oh my God.

Edited by Michael Myers
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think he game is looking really good. I'm happy they tweaked it, but when did they announce they'd be doing that? And what else are they changing in the game?

I think he game is looking really good. I'm happy they tweaked it, but when did they announce they'd be doing that? And what else are they changing in the game?

Here's our coverage at TSS of what happened -

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-announced-for-late-2010-iphone-confirmed

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/live-blog-rubyeclipse-and-ken-baloughs-on-the-spot-appearance

EDIT:

Here's the On The Spot interview -

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/video/6263147/sonic-the-hedgehog-4--episode-1-tots-interview

The new footage looks sweet, and it seems like the physics have been slightly tweaked. Very nice.

I still can't wait for E3 for actual player impressions. :lol: