Awoo.

Sonic Colors Footage From E3

azoo

Like in Unleash no?

They were either short-cut or obstacle-free path.

Here's some clearer DS footage.

DS version of the wall kick. Also, there's a big sign thing that gives you Wisps. Probably a handheld difference.

Edited by Dabnikz

Not sure but I think Sonic was using the wall jump at some point, cool!!

Well as long as you got energy you can boost but looking by the level design you can boost for a maximum of 4sec non-stop since its packed with loads of platforming...

Nostalgiaaaaa~

As I said, it's not a matter of speed. It doesn't matter how much crap you throw in Sonic's way if it isn't interesting to get around. The designers seem to agree, because the cyan wisp seems to have been made for the purpose of skipping large chunks of the level.

So every hill needs to be visually impressive here? Because what you are saying is that it might as well be flat if you can't get around or above some hills that don't have a fucking chat with you.

Of course, you are literally unpleaseable and make mountains out of molehills (almost literally here, where you seem to expect every hill to be as interesting as a fucking mountain) so why I'm surprised is next to unexplainable.

Also if you noticed, the cyan wisp is used not to skip through levels, in fact, using it forces you to stop, take aim, then launch though what seems to be a VERY, VERY short section. Unless you mean the more common whips that give you the boost, and even then your point is moot, as the boost isn't used as much as in Unleashed, prolly much more sparsely.

• Thumbs Up 2

and nintendo thought that they could bring Monsters Hunters Tri graphics? Really Nintendo can go with the graphics up to SMG or Zelda TP or brawl they can't even do better and then they thought they could bring monsters hunters Tri graphics?

SEGA Beats Nintendo in every possible way , Sonic Team are So Skilled.

well the stage had dozens of multiple paths the player just didn't use them

the grinding parts and the flying enemies he could have homed attacked ...etc

Aha....haha.....BWAHAHAAHAH. Good joke.

Anyway, this does look like a tighter, more straightforward Unleashed. If the boost is gone outside of the beginning dash I will be happy. As other have said though this seems like the catwalk syndrome again. The level didn't really branch from that widened path. Not even a cliff or variation, the road's width remained the same size.

I am impressed with the visual flair and environment though. Sonic still has awkward acceleration animations from rest though. I'll be keeping my eyes on this if it proves to be a polished game.

hmmmmmm...

Alright, I give up. Nathan, what does your post have to do with my post?

That's all a matter of opinion. Frankly, I find having to jump across elevated stretches at the right time to avoid giant missiles that explode into jellybeans to be interesting.

Alright, but the point that I was trying to make wasn't that the game was bad (For what its worth, this probably will be better than Unleashed), just that it isn't much of a change from what we've been getting.

If by large chunks you mean ricocheting off of enemies in a relatively short area, than yes, that looks to be the case.

No worse than every high speed section in nearly every game since Sonic 1 which required just as much input.

Laugh at my joke damit argh.gif

But how is making it streamlined uninteresting? The entire point of Sonic is to keep things moving at a fast-pace. Not necessarily run fast, as evidenced in the first gameplay video, put keep the pace going. By keeping things more streamlined, the player has less distractions and can keep things going while running very fast. Before Unleashed, most critics complained about the lack of level designs like this, and now I can see why. At a game going this fast, I definitely do not want a vague and overly large level design.

Streamlining it doesn't make it uninteresting(and I also don't recall saying that), Hydrocity zone is a very streamlined zone, but it keeps it interesting by turning you every which way, going straight up and straight down, having you ride up on gusts of air and water currents from fans and getting through areas with those moving ropes, and running on water. I also miss traveling up walls and on ceilings and actually being in control of it (and not being above a death pit) in the process. I think Emerald Coast might still be the only 3D Sonic level to include that.

hmmmmmm...

I also miss traveling up walls and on ceilings and actually being in control of it (and not being above a death pit) in the process. I think Emerald Coast might still be the only 3D Sonic level to include that.

Several of the stages in 06 give you full control of the wall running segments.

I would mention Unleashed as well, but I assume hauling tail in a strait line on the wall would fail to meet the definition of "control".

Several of the stages in 06 give you full control of the wall running segments.

I would mention Unleashed as well, but I assume hauling tail in a strait line on the wall would fail to meet the definition of "control".

06 has them, but they're typically over pits, IIRC. Oh wait, Wave Ocean has one as well. Kinda wish Shun Nakamura would have a bigger influence on the franchise. He directed 06, but it seemed like a lot of that game's badness was out of his control (deadlines, preexisting concepts that there wasn't enough time to change), but I still think he's the best Sonic level designer Sega currently has at their disposal. He's gotta work on filling in those pits, though.

Edited by Phos

Sweet Mountain footage! Wooo~

Really reminds me of the Mazuri tree now. Those button-press shooter things are back, Eggpawns, and some careful platforming at the end!

Edit - I guess double jump is confirmed with this video. He does one in the last second of the video.

Edited by Dabnikz
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sweet Mountain footage! Wooo~

Really reminds me of the Mazuri tree now. Those button-press shooter things are back, Eggpawns, and some careful platforming at the end!

Edit - I guess double jump is confirmed with this video. He does one in the last second of the video.

Yeah at 0:30 he does a double jump aswell IT RETURNS FROM SONIC R Mwahahahaah =D Naww I like how it's in the game since it will help you get to higher places in the level and get hidden stuff but mann I'm hungry after watching that level now XD

Edited by Crash

So from what I've heard people say/seen this seems to be like a Sonic Unleashed 2? Yeah that'll really make this game even better.... <_< NOT!

Although the game does look nice and not stupidly realistic like Unleashed, why o why couldn't they have just done this to regular Sonic? Imagine dashing through zones of Sonic's world with the Unleashed daytime style (though minus the crappy controls, excessive boost, QTE's and give Sonic more mobility ,the levels more freedom and paths) that would've been awesome! Add a few slight changes of gameplay styles when you get to play as Tails and maybe Knuckles and you've got awesome in a can right there! Instead they need to go the cheap way of adding aliens :angry:(seriously, IMO aliens are the cop-out of all cop-outs, to me they are a last resort kinda like "we've got no ideas, lets just add aliens") and frankly it's getting old what with Black doom and the black arms, the Babylon Rogues supposed alien/genie hybrid ancestors and Sonic Chronicles lame plot taking place half in some stupid alien place....enough.with.the.FRIGGEN.ALIENS!

Not to mention they are lame. The one thing that sounded mildly, minutely redeeming about them was their ability to give Sonic...um abilities (ala power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy, if this game wasn't already ripping enough from that game) - But you can't even control your power ups!? WTF? Sonic's laser power up is over with the push of a button!? You wouldn't see Mario pull this shit! When you get a power-up in SMG you actually GET to control it because....uh...well that's what makes it fun! DUH

So uh, covered it being like my all time loathed game Sonic Unleashed, covered how much I hate aliens, covered it trying to copy Mario Galaxy, covered their lame choice to take away the fun that could've been power ups, food based levels?? wow a new low for Sonic...I think I'm done here.

O wait...It's nice to see Sonic smile for once in his CGI art....yeah that's about all the nice things I can say.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Bad Quality Post 6

First Nintendo's E3 conference blows me away, now Sonic Colours looks like it is shaping up extremely nicely. My favourite E3 ever? Quite possibly.

The graphics are much better than I imagined, it really does look like the HD daytime Unleashed levels but on Wii. Good to see some more platforming in the 2D sections, too. 'Tis a shame the people playing the demo so far don't seem to know what they're doing half the time.

Consider me one happy Sonic fan.

Ah , So people complain about the werehog and wants sonic unleashed day stages only in a sonic game

then they get what they want but then they Rant

people gets a New 2D Sonic they were asking for but then they made people more happy with making it a sequel to sonic 3 and then again people just rants.

people wanted Sonic riders 3 Granted SEGA Delivers then people rant.

SEGA Particularly satisfied every one , the 3 types of sonic audience and they still rant.

love the sonic fan base

people wanted Sonic riders 3 Granted SEGA Delivers then people rant.

SEGA Particularly satisfied every one , the 3 types of sonic audience and they still rant.

love the sonic fan base

Welcome to the Internet, we hope you enjoy your stay! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

That first act was as short as can be. Please don't be another 2-hour game.

Gameplay looks good though. The Wii's take on Unleashed PS360 with some tweaks and gimmicks. Not amazing, but solid fun for sure.

So, yeah, the Cyan Wisp is essentially a spindash mixed with the light attack on steroids.

I love this.

So, yeah, the Cyan Wisp is essentially a spindash mixed with the light attack on steroids.

I love this.

actually it does the same thing as the ligh speed dash attack in SA1/SADX And SA2/SA2B

you just use the lazer and sonic does a light speed dash attack Destroying every enemy on the screen at high speed.

Does this remind you of any thing? :)

Edited by Hedgehog Unleashed

So from what I've heard people say/seen this seems to be like a Sonic Unleashed 2? Yeah that'll really make this game even better.... <_< NOT!

OK....so?

Although the game does look nice and not stupidly realistic like Unleashed, why o why couldn't they have just done this to regular Sonic? Imagine dashing through zones of Sonic's world with the Unleashed daytime style (though minus the crappy controls, excessive boost, QTE's and give Sonic more mobility ,the levels more freedom and paths) that would've been awesome! Add a few slight changes of gameplay styles when you get to play as Tails and maybe Knuckles and you've got awesome in a can right there!

OK.....thats exactly what Colours has done, minus the Knuckles and Tails playability. Where's the problem?

Instead they need to go the cheap way of adding aliens :angry:(seriously, IMO aliens are the cop-out of all cop-outs, to me they are a last resort kinda like "we've got no ideas, lets just add aliens") and frankly it's getting old what with Black doom and the black arms, the Babylon Rogues supposed alien/genie hybrid ancestors and Sonic Chronicles lame plot taking place half in some stupid alien place....enough.with.the.FRIGGEN.ALIENS!

What does that have to do with gameplay and the quality of the title? You don't like aliens, OK, but that doesn't affect gameplay AT ALL...

Again, where's the problem?

Not to mention they are lame. The one thing that sounded mildly, minutely redeeming about them was their ability to give Sonic...um abilities - But you can't even control your power ups!? WTF? Sonic's laser power up is over with the push of a button!? You wouldn't see Mario pull this shit! When you get a power-up in SMG you actually GET to control it because....uh...well that's what makes it fun! DUH

So what else could they have used to give power-ups? Mushrooms?.....Oh....wait

And you do get to control them. You can easily control the Drill power-up (You can't even do that in SMG2, that drill just goes straight down, but thats for another day)

The Cyan laser is like the "light-dash" from SA1 and SA2. Except you can charge it and aim it at mirrors to gain access you an alternate part of the level. I think that's pretty original if you ask me.

(ala power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy, if this game wasn't already ripping enough from that game)

Other than power-ups (this includes the drill), how has Sonic ripped off Mario Galaxy? Don't say "He's copying Mario because its set in space" Sonic went into space several times before Mario Galaxy was even conceived. That argument is invalid. In fact, as many people have mentioned, its theme is more like Ratchet and Clank...

So uh, covered it being like my all time loathed game Sonic Unleashed, covered how much I hate aliens, covered it trying to copy Mario Galaxy, covered their lame choice to take away the fun that could've been power ups, food based levels?? wow a new low for Sonic...I think I'm done here.

So you hate it because its like Unleashed and has aliens. It has all the stuff you wanted Unleashed to be; surreal environments; colour; fantastical level design, yet you still hate it. You haven't really covered what exactly you hate about the gameplay, other than its similarities to Unleashed, and even then it isn't exactly the same. And complaining about food based levels, is that really a flaw? The complaint about power-ups not being controlable is invalid, because they are controllable, save for onw it seems.

So basically, you hate the game for no reason other than "Unleashed!!1! and Aliens!!1!"

O wait...It's nice to see Sonic smile for once in his CGI art....yeah that's about all the nice things I can say.

Sonic smiles in nearly every piece of CGI artwork there is. Go and take a look.

SO, I've covered your unecessary bias, the fact that your complaints have minimal relevance to the gameplay and the fact that half your arguments about gameplay don't even apply.

YES it is similar to Unleashed, both level-design wise and graphically, but thats where the similarities end. The gameplay has been changed significantly. There is a lot more platforming and less of a focus on blinding speed.

I think you are done here. I think I'll have fun playing this game, whilst you sulk in corner.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

What does that have to do with gameplay and the quality of the title? You don't like aliens, OK, but that doesn't affect gameplay AT ALL...

Again, where's the problem?

The problem is that a game is less enjoyable to play if you find the story to be stupid and nonsensical. Good plot adds to the immersion of a game and bad plot detracts from it.

People spouting "Oh story doesn't affect gameplay" and "Oh why do you care about green eyes" all over the place sound like they have some sort of emotional dead-spot where they treat a game as a series of mechanical platforming challenges and nothing else, "cos gameplay's all that matters rite!?!?".

Having things that you don't like in a game makes playing the game (that is, the gameplay) worse, irrespective of whether those elements are engine physics, or story setting, or stylistic design.

So THAT'S why Master Board lists "frikkin' aliens" as a problem.

They don't bother me so much... but I'm more annoyed about Robotnik building a theme park in space. Food-themed rides will help him conquer the world how?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The problem is that a game is less enjoyable to play if you find the story to be stupid and nonsensical. Good plot adds to the immersion of a game and bad plot detracts from it.

People spouting "Oh story doesn't affect gameplay" and "Oh why do you care about green eyes" all over the place sound like they have some sort of emotional dead-spot where they treat a game as a series of mechanical platforming challenges and nothing else, "cos gameplay's all that matters rite!?!?".

Having things that you don't like in a game makes playing the game (that is, the gameplay) worse, irrespective of whether those elements are engine physics, or story setting, or stylistic design.

So THAT'S why Master Board lists "frikkin' aliens" as a problem.

They don't bother me so much... but I'm more annoyed about Robotnik building a theme park in space. Food-themed rides will help him conquer the world how?

True. I can't disagree, however, you can't hate a game solely for its story. Mario's "Save the princess" story has worn out its welcome, but people don't complain.

The aliens so far do little more than act as power-ups and act as the reason to get to the end of the stage. This game's story-line is "Save the Wisps"

Hardly an award-winning theme now is it? But not objectable either.

Yes, if you don't like the story, it dilutes the experience and makes it less special, but that can't be the sole reason to hate it.