Awoo.

Sonic Free Riders Music Thread

Shaddix Leto Croft

May I request a re-rip of the main theme song? I'm sorry, but I simply can't stand the quality of the current rip. It's abysmal. I appreciate the effort and being able to hear it at all, but I would love a higher-quality rip.

Edited by Shaddix

When my body stops berating me and I can play again and beat the last two races, I'll record the main theme at that point. Is anyone having any problems with the quality of the songs I've provided thus far?

When my body stops berating me and I can play again and beat the last two races, I'll record the main theme at that point. Is anyone having any problems with the quality of the songs I've provided thus far?

Perhaps it's the audiophile in me, but it seems like the quality is extremely compressed (like 128 kbps) and the levels have been pushed too high.

To prove that perhaps I'm not crazy ( :lol: ), here's a comparison of the short version (from the trailer), which I consider what the quality should be aimed at (at least 256 kbps, with 320 kbps preferred, full stereo), and the version we currently have that's been ripped.

Sorry if I'm a bother. :P

Edited by Dopply

I'm a part of a message board where people go to collect mp3s of entrance themes used by pro-wrestlers, so the "how-tos of recording mp3s from TV" are a constant conversation. Here's an image of what the mp3 posted in this tread of the SFR main theme looks like when opened in an audio editing program:

goldwave-sonicfreeriders1.png

An mp3 should NEVER look like that if you are going for adequate quality levels. To raise the volume levels that level can cause large amounts of distortion and other quality degrading problems.

This is what most mp3 volume levels should look like:

goldwave-sonicfreeriders2.png

That's basically my reworking of the original recording, with a few added effects to slightly enhance the quality, and if you want that, just click here. That should tide us over until the (hopefully evenutal) release of the OST.

Edited by Snatcher2047
  • Thumbs Up 3

Have we figured out who created the stage music?

I know RJ made the main theme, but did he also make the music for the rest of the game? Or was that all Jun Senoue?

Edited by Barry the Nomad

I know RJ made the main theme, but did he also make the music for the rest of the game? Or was that all Jun Senoue?

I think Richard is the producer of the music and Jun Senoue and Tomoya did the music to the tracks maybe abit of Kenchi too not got a clue but I'd love to know the who is singing in levels with lyrics in the game (besides Chris Madin which SoA told us ages ago doing Free).

Edited by Shaddix

I JUST BEAT EGGMAN IN THE LAST STORY :D

This means I just have to beat Metal, and then I can do a decent recording of the main theme. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I JUST BEAT EGGMAN IN THE LAST STORY :D

This means I just have to beat Metal, and then I can do a decent recording of the main theme. :)

I really, really appreciate it. :)

Before you record, however, can you tell me how you're doing it? It appears as if your recordings are in mono.

Edited by Dopply

Aquaslash said he records it line-in in the voice actors topic, so I'd assume that's what he'd do for this too.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Ok! So here's where we are now!

• Evidently my skill level went up after watching my nephew play. I kicked both Eggman's and Metal Sonic's asses with minimal effort.
  • I now have all the cutscenes recorded, as well as the main theme. However
  • My setup is kinda weird. I have a stereo hookup, but I get the exact same sound out of both speakers. So I'm NOT going to upload the main theme until I get that sorted out
  • I got an avatar award. I'll check out what it is in a moment.
  • The game randomly took a picture of me jumping and it was in the credits under my name. I lol'd

Two composers are credited: Tomonori Sawada (who is also the Sound Director), and someone else whose name looked like "Koji Sakurai", but I'm not sure because the video was blurry and I can't find his name in the credits of any other Sonic game.

I wish I had a clear video of the credits.

Thats odd, because I could have sworn that the course themes were done by RJ considering how JSRF-like they sound. Especially Rocky Ridge.

Speaking of iffy recordings, the Metropolis Speedway mp3 from the game website sound funny. Anyone else hearing it? It's almost like too much noise or something when it gets to it's busiest with the sounds...

Folks on Retro are saying that RJ is the music producer, so all the in-game tunes are produced (created) by him.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

It's probably a number of people working as composers on the soundtrack. At least that's what's it been on the previous RIDERS soundtracks. Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi, Tomonori Sawada and Hideaki Kobayashi were all listed as composers on both the SONIC RIDERS and ZERO GRAVITY OSTs.

Rocky Ridge kinda reminds me of Ohtani-san's work from Sonic 06. Man, this soundtrack is incredible.

It's probably a number of people working as composers on the soundtrack. At least that's what's it been on the previous RIDERS soundtracks. Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi, Tomonori Sawada and Hideaki Kobayashi were all listed as composers on both the SONIC RIDERS and ZERO GRAVITY OSTs.

But then they were also listed in the games' credits, weren't they?

Thanks for sharing, AS! Now I can have decent version of Free for my cell phone! :)

Ooooo other soundtrack ripped awesome =D thanks for posting it on here Aquaslash =) *downloads Second Sonic soundtrack for today XD*

Edited by Shaddix

I'm now struggling like crazy to match up the (quite frankly, very unhelpfully-named) MP3s with their corresponding tracks. D:

Also, do we know who composed which tracks?

Edited by Mahzes

1. Free
  2. Dolphin Resort
  3. Rocky Ridge
  4. Frozen Forest
  5. Metropolis Speedway
  6. Magma Rift
  7. Forgotten Tomb
  8. Final Factory
  9. High Flying Groove
  10. Un Gravitify
  11. Hang On