Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

Just gotta wonder how "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" and "Check out the CONSOLES" were supposed to sound now.

Also it just hit me, why does the AT advert sound so much more like Griffith than these?

Also it just hit me, why does the AT advert sound so much more like Griffith than these?

Roger, that sneaky clever bastard XD I have a theory about what he did, hear meh owt.

Jason was obviously replaced by Roger months ago, and while Roger may have his own unique take on Sonic, I'll bet he used his amazing talent to do the spot-on impersonation of Jason seen in that Alton Towers resort ad.

I'll bet he knew that if he did this, it would throw off suspicion of Sonic having a new actor, though peeps with super-ears still heard the difference anyway. =p

That's my theory.

I so called it. :U

• Thumbs Up 2

That voice sounds so forced, he seems to be constantly yelling quietly, or something funny like that. It almost sounds like Jason's Werehog voice.

That voice sounds so forced, he seems to be constantly yelling quietly, or something funny like that. It almost sounds like Jason's Werehog voice.

You really think so? I think it's better than Jason by a mile. Isn't it the best we've had in ages?

It sounds forced and over enthusiastic because of its CONTEXT.

He's making a safety announcement on a children's ride. He's talking about a VIP experience in a resort for kids.

Like I've said SO many times now, I'm pretty sure he won't sound like during normal dialogue.

(Besides the acting in those clips is still better than the acting in those goddamn informercials)

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as I was so tired when all this came out, I thought my opinions might have changed upon hearing the voice when I was properly concious. They haven't. The voice is still brilliant.

I have to admit those new unedited clips are better. Sounds more like how Sonic should sound, so hopefully some people's doubts about Roger will be put to rest now.

But he shall always be Mr Consoles to us. We shall check them out, and then we shall proclaim that most iconic of sayings:

WOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAH!

• Thumbs Up 3

You really think so? I think it's better than Jason by a mile. Isn't it the best we've had in ages?

I feel like I'm listening to somebody contorting their vocal chords, I'm not knowledgeable enough on related terms to describe it in greater detail, but I'm going to squash probability into a ball and shoot from the hip (lol Excel Saga): The pitch is too low (even without being slowed down, assuming that was even the case), and I feel like the harmonics of the voice are too pronounced. I was hoping for a smoother voice out of Sonic, but they went the other direction.

I feel like I'm listening to somebody contorting their vocal chords, I'm not knowledgeable enough on related terms to describe it in greater detail, but I'm going to squash probability into a ball and shoot from the hip (lol Excel Saga): The pitch is too low (even without being slowed down, assuming that was even the case), and I feel like the harmonics of the voice are too pronounced. I was hoping for a smoother voice out of Sonic, but they went the other direction.

I will agree with you there on the vocal dynamics. However the "acting" was generally much better. It had a degree of emotion to it, despite just being a safety announcement.

However, as is usually the case, vocal dynamics change given the scenario. Most Toddlers TV presenters talk really slowly and sound like retards, because thats what the situation demands. They don't talk like than in normal conversation. Likewise, the voice RCSmith is using for the safety announcement, is firstly; for a safety announcement, and secondly; for kids. So he has to sound like he's making an announcement, and speak in a way that kids can understand. That usually amounts to a somewhat slow, dopey sounding voice-clip. No way any respectable (and talented) voice actor would use that kind of voice in a conversational context. Even if it is Sonic the Hedgehog.

Really though, any higher pitched and he'd sound too childish.

I will agree with you there on the vocal dynamics. However the "acting" was generally much better. It had a degree of emotion to it, despite just being a safety announcement.

However, as is usually the case, vocal dynamics change given the scenario. Most Toddlers TV presenters talk really slowly and sound like retards, because thats what the situation demands. They don't talk like than in normal conversation. Likewise, the voice RCSmith is using for the safety announcement, is firstly; for a safety announcement, and secondly; for kids. So he has to sound like he's making an announcement, and speak in a way that kids can understand. That usually amounts to a somewhat slow, dopey sounding voice-clip. No way any respectable (and talented) voice actor would use that kind of voice in a conversational context. Even if it is Sonic the Hedgehog.

Really though, any higher pitched and he'd sound too childish.

His in game voice isn't going to be some night and day difference from this, he's still going to have that harmonics or resonance or whatever it is that I'm hearing.

And having a higher voice doesn't mean childish. I'd say Dante has a higher pitched voice than Sonic. The voice Roger is using sounds too childish to me because it sounds like he's contorting it too much, basically putting too much effort into it, and maybe it sounds a bit through the nose.

Edited by Phos

I admit, even I, the person who accepts everything as it comes with Sonic usually, am a little iffy. The voices sound good, but I can't make a judgement because of the context of the alton towers clips. I'm not quite sure how to imagine him saying "normal" lines in the cut-scenes yet. I'm sure we'll be used to it after a game or two though, just as we were with Jason, regardless of how it turns out.

I admit, I'm looking forward to the "fresh" feeling it'll give Colours simply by sounding "new".

Edited by JezMM

Everyone keeps saying things like "We'll see how he sounds in Sonic Colours" as if it's the first game out that will have Roger and the new cast in, but the way things are set out for Kinect's Nov 4th U.S. launch and Sonic Free Riders being a launch game for Kinect, we'll hear the new cast in that game (and through YouTube recordings of it) first. Colours earliest launch is Nov 11th in Australia and 12th in EU.

If Free Riders is out first, then I guess we can look forward to hearing the whole new cast.

I so want to hear Jet's new voice. It'll either be brilliant or terrible.

If Free Riders is out first, then I guess we can look forward to hearing the whole new cast.

I so want to hear Jet's new voice. It'll either be brilliant or terrible.

Jet's is the worst voice of the last set of voices, anything has got be better than his old voice. I get where they were going with it, all squawky like an hawk, but it was still pretty bad.

lol oh God.... the only reason anyone will buy Riders is to hear Rogers voice!

Jet's is the worst voice of the last set of voices, anything has got be better than his old voice. I get where they were going with it, all squawky like a bird, but it was still pretty bad.

If they try to keep it sounding the same though, it'll either be a vast improvement or a horrible impression of an already horrible voice.

I feel quite ashamed that I can actually somewhat imitate Griffith's Jet voice... FML.

lol oh God.... the only reason anyone will buy Riders is to hear Rogers voice!

I wouldn't be surprised if people buy the game solely because it's the first game with most of the new cast, after all these years this fanbase can't do anything that would surprise me :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked Jason as Jet, because it sounded like Doug Parker's voice of Terrorsaur from Beast Wars. XD

Edited by Hero of Legend
  • Thumbs Up 1

His in game voice isn't going to be some night and day difference from this, he's still going to have that harmonics or resonance or whatever it is that I'm hearing.

And having a higher voice doesn't mean childish. I'd say Dante has a higher pitched voice than Sonic. The voice Roger is using sounds too childish to me because it sounds like he's contorting it too much, basically putting too much effort into it, and maybe it sounds a bit through the nose.

Its not higher pitched, it is most definately lower pitched. It would however be much smoother. Its easier for RCS to do that kind of a voice, because its similar in tone to his normal voice.

The Sonic voice does sound a lot raspier, because its a lot higher pitched and its stretching is vocal range. I expect that the voice would smooth out with time, he has a very deep voice, so doing this would take some getting used to. If you've heard his demo reel, the voices he does for younger characters is usually a bit raspier than his voice for older characters. It may get some getting used to, but it s not bad per se.

The main issue really, is the acting and emoting. That remains to be seen, as we haven't really heard him speak in a conversation/scenario.

I admit, I'm looking forward to the "fresh" feeling it'll give Colours simply by sounding "new".

I'm feeling like this myself. The novelty of getting a mostly-new cast is exciting in and of itself, regardless of whether or not they're a substantial improvement, and I'm eager to hear them properly mostly just for the sake of hearing a different take on the characters. It's the same reason it's fun to watch anime dubbed and subbed, or at least see bits and pieces of both sides.

It's difficult to judge much about Smith's Sonic voice from these clips, but it does sound a little more "natural" than Jason's and Ryan's, if that makes sense. That should be a good thing, but I'm not sure if it'll fit with the character. I'm not too worried, though, since it sounds as though SEGA are honestly trying to make things better. I'd be surprised if the new cast were a downgrade; the worst I'm anticipating is "equal but different".

Also, yes, it'll be very interesting to hear Jet's new voice. I'm most interested to hear what they do with Bella Hudson's roles, though; it'll be weird to have all of her characters actually sound different from each other.

Edited by Octarine

Not exactly related but Dante's voice actor (along with Trish's) were on the Capcom Stream and did like an hour long fan interview during Comic-Con and apparently Dante's voice actor and our Roger Craig Smith know each other well from a few projects but he considers Roger a more professional actor in the way he works while he is more of a novice in comparison. The discussion came up because he says the two of them actually get compared a lot while their trying not to be compared because they both love working with each other. The thing that surprised me more so was apparently Roger voiced something or someone in one of the Devil May Cry games, I certainly didn't notice it but he may have just been a minor role in one of the games.

Anyways, I like the clips. Reminding people this was recorded a while ago and the voice in Colors could be dramatically different. I still point to Chris's voice before and after release, in the early footage Chris Redfield sounded a big lighter and less firm but he pulled off an exceptional voice on release.

He is being the VIP for a childrens amusement park, I can tell you from the Resident Evil games alone he's voiced in (which is 2 and a half, since the third he's voicing Chris is not out yet but we have seen a trailer and he voices in it) he is perfectly capable of emotion and seriousness, just that's not the tone you take on for a kids ride.

I really like it.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say I want to hear "check out the CONSOLES!"