Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Sonic the Hedgehog is an ongoing series of American comic books published by Archie Comics, featuring Sega's mascot video game character of the same name. The comic book series debuted in the United States at the beginning of 1993, two years after the release of the first video game in 1991 for the Sega Genesis. Spin-off publications from the comic include a Knuckles the Echidna series starring the titular character, which ran for 32 issues; 15 48-page "Super Specials"; 8 single 48-page special issues; and 4 short three-issue miniseries, each starring a character from the series. On September 21, 2005, Archie Comics started a new series based on the TV show Sonic X. In February 2009, the Sonic X series will be replaced by Sonic Universe, a direct spin-off of the parent comic, Sonic The Hedgehog.

Aside from the Sonic X series, all of Archie Comics' Sonic-related series take place in the same fictional universe. This universe features a mixture of characters, settings and storylines from the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon, the Sonic video games by Sega, and various other incarnations of Sonic. It also includes many elements unique to the comic universe. While the ongoing game canon has influenced the comic canon, both exist as entirely different universes. Sonic the Hedgehog is not to be confused with Sonic the Comic, which ran in the UK and published more issues despite running for a shorter time (due to UK comics being published on more frequent schedule than in the US). As of February 2009, there have been 197 issues of the original Sonic the Hedgehog series. Also, the series was recognized by Guinness World Records as the longest running comic series based on a video game.[1]

The main focus of the comic storyline is the title character, world-famous hero Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic is endowed with super speed and a love of freedom, which puts him at odds with the nefarious Dr. Robotnik. Sonic is in many ways different from his game counterpart - in the comics, he is depicted as having important ties with his family and friends, a characteristic absent from other incarnations. He is also portrayed as having a deep sense of duty - in the games Sonic treats his ongoing conflict with Eggman as just an opportunity to have a fun time, whereas in the comic he holds a personal grudge against the Doctor and understands his ability to protect the world from this menace. Sometimes he does seem to have a fun time fighting Robotnik, but ultimately he seems to treat the ordeal seriously.

Although Sonic normally goes adventuring by himself in the video games (with the occasional company of other player characters), in the comic he is affiliated with the Freedom Fighters, a ragtag rebellion that was formed to counter the tyranny of Dr. Ivo Robotnik (currently known as "Eggman") and his legion of unquestioning, warlike robots. The basis of the original issues were designed to closely mirror the animated television series, as well as the names and likenesses of Sonic's allies in the Freedom Fighters. Since then, the series has integrated many elements from the video games, which has led to ongoing story arcs involving Shadow the Hedgehog and others.

At the beginning of the series the year was 3235, though by now it is approximately 3237. Sonic currently lives on Planet Mobius in New Mobotropolis. It was eventually revealed that Mobius is actually a future Earth (in an alternate reality), the year being 14,016 A.D. by the real-life calendar.

Originally, the date the Xorda attacked Earth was the year 0 by the Mobian calendar (sometime during the 21st century by our calendar), and that was known in Echidna theology as the first "Day of Fury". However, the date of the Xorda attack was retconned to have occurred roughly twelve thousand years ago from the current Mobian year.

The year 3237 was shown on Eggman's computer screen in issue #157.

At the onset of the series, Sonic's original home was Knothole Village, a secret woodland base hidden within the Great Forest. Other main areas of setting include Angel Island, Station Square, Downunda and New Megaopolis.

The original issues of the series and those soon to follow consisted mostly of isolated stories. That is, there was rarely any continuity between issues. However, there were the additions of new characters (such as Bunny Rabbot, Knuckles, and Super Sonic) that would become familiar and lasting faces as the series continued. The early issues featured much of Sonic versus Robotnik, in which Sonic would constantly foil Robotnik’s plans whether it be to tear down a forest or find the hidden location of Knothole Village. Eventually though, the issues started to gain a sense of an ongoing story, most notably with the addition of the Mecha Sonic storyline in issue #39, in which Sonic is transformed into a robotic form and does as Robotnik commands. This would later be concluded in a Sonic Special issue where Knuckles gives himself up to be transformed into a robot in order to defeat Mecha Sonic. From here, the storyline would be further developed into what is now a fully continuous one. Following the defeat of Mecha Sonic, the Freedom Fighters come together in issue #46 to discuss ways to attack and defeat Robotnik once and for all. The loyalty of many of the Freedom Fighters comes into question, particularly notable in a feud between Sonic and Geoffrey St. John, member of the Acorn Secret Service. This continues into the renowned EndGame saga which takes place over a four issue span, #47 through #50.

The saga begins with a mission by the Freedom Fighters and the Wolf Pack, led by Lupe, to attack Robotnik’s base. Princess Sally reveals thoughts of her father, King Acorn, telling her that it would soon become apparent that Sonic is a traitor. The mission proceeds and Sally is in need of help or she may fall to her death. The Freedom Fighters look on in despair when they think they see Sonic and assume that he will rescue the princess. Much to their surprise, Sonic aids Sally in falling to her death. The mission is called to retreat, and the Freedom Fighters move back to Knothole Village. Meanwhile, Sonic is seen battling Robotnik inside the base (when he apparently left Sally for dead). Robotnik escapes and Sonic leaves the base, wondering where the rest of his companions have gone. Sonic returns to Knothole, only to be arrested and spared the death penalty in light of all his services, so instead he is sentenced to life in prison on the Devil’s Gulag, where other notorious traitors such as Sleuth Doggy Dog (issue #42) will be imprisoned with him. While Sonic is being transported to the Gulag, Swatbots attack the vessel and it crash lands. Sonic remains conscious and takes the opportunity to escape. News bears word and King Acorn demands the recapture of Sonic by St. John. Sonic on the run, takes refuge in a cavern. Meanwhile, Bunny and Antoine discover that Drago (a member of the Wolf Pack) has been working with Robotnik in order to frame Sonic. This is followed by King Acorn issuing Robotnik as his new Warlord. Sonic, in the meantime, continues his run from St. John and the secret service with aid from Dulcy the Dragon. Robotnik reveals his duplicate of the king by making it self destruct and the true plan has become evident to all. All this would lead up to Sonic's return to Knothole in issue #50, where Sonic clears his name heads to a final showdown with Robotnik. As the issue notes, Sonic is uncharacteristically devoid of humor as he approaches Robotnik. In the battle, Robotnik’s Ultimate Annihilator crashes and the room is destined for destruction, but Robotnik and Sonic remain to fight. In the end, Sonic emerges victorious and Robotnik is wiped out. Sonic later revives Sally with a kiss.

Storylines continue to follow after the EndGame saga. Ixis Naugus makes his first appearance in issue #53. Although temporarily defeated, he would later return in issues #64 through #66, along with the appearance of Nate Morgan, former advisor of king Acorn, and Ixis would be defeated this time by Ultra Sonic, one of Sonic's transformations.

Issue #75 reveals that a robotic version of Robotnik has been functioning since after the defeat of the original Robotnik in issue #50. His presence is revealed by flashbacks to certain issues between issues #50 and #75. Sonic and the Freedom Fighters head to space to battle this Robo-Robotnik, and although they defeat him, there are many other Robo-Robotniks standing in line. These Robotniks are what has now become Sonic's familiar enemy, Eggman.

Sonic Adventure is readily adapted into the series with the appearance of Chaos, beginning in issue #79. The saga ends with Sonic successfully defeating Perfect Chaos, the final form of Chaos after absorbing all of the Chaos Emeralds, by transforming into Super Sonic in issue #84. Sonic does not actually destroy Chaos, as Chaos returns to his ancient beginnings to live in peace.

Issues #85 and #86 feature the return of Mecha Sonic (though not Sonic himself this time, but a totally separate machine.)

Sonic Adventure 2 comes into adaptation for one issue featuring Shadow the Hedgehog.

In issue #125, Sonic's latest battle leaves him stranded in space after saving Knothole. On Mobius, he is assumed to be dead. Sonic's journey through space leads up to many interesting story lines, such as the return of Super Sonic in issue #126, and Sonic's discovery that Tails' parents are still alive on a far off planet. Sonic returns in issue #130 where he reveals to everyone that he is indeed alive and well.

Issues #131 through #144 introduce a sub storyline in which the future of Mobius is the plot. In this future, Sonic is king of Knothole and married to Sally. Knuckles has attained the rank of Guardian and is married to Julie Su. However all is not well as the timeline is in danger of collapsing into destruction. Sonic and Knuckles try with the help of Rotor to prevent this catastrophe, but fail and the timeline and storyline come to an end.

Issue #145 features the return of Shadow, who then returns to take part of the storyline, frequently battling Sonic in issues #157 through #161.

Sonic was switched with evil sonic temporarily and got back and evil sonic was ruining his reputation around knothole. Sally was up to marriage for the kingdom and patch finallly put his plan in action. Sally and patch were about to get married until Sonic finnally convinced Prince Elias to come back and be king which he did and sonic defeated patch, figured it out, and got the real antoine back and sent patch back to moebius. Soon after he began dating fiona fox until his birthday when he found out she was cheating on him with his opposite the newly green evil sonic Scourge.

The Sonic the Hedgehog comic typically runs original storylines based around characters from various Sonic media, but it has also made a number of adaptations. For instance, it has adapted a couple episodes of Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as complete or partial adaptations of the following video games:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (#2)

Sonic Spinball (#6)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (#9) (also combined with Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles for the Sonic-Quest mini-series)

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (#13) (also combined with Sonic 2 and Sonic & Knuckles for the Sonic-Quest mini-series)

Sonic & Knuckles (Sonic & Knuckles Special) (also combined with Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 for the Sonic-Quest mini-series)

Sonic CD (#25)

SegaSonic the Hedgehog (Knuckles #26-28) (arcade game)

Sonic Triple Trouble (Sonic Triple Trouble Special)

Knuckles' Chaotix (Knuckles' Chaotix Special, and issues 138-141)

Sonic 3D Blast (Sonic Blast Special)

Sonic Adventure (Super Special #13, and issues 79-84, originally planned to be 78-83, and Knuckles issues 33-34 before it was cancelled after issue 32)

Sonic Shuffle (#92)

Sonic Adventure 2 (#98, SU#2 (?))

Sonic Rush (#160 & #161)

Sonic Riders (#163 & #164)

Shadow The Hedgehog (#171) (Shadow's origins)

Sonic Rush Adventure (#180)

Sonic and the Secret Rings (free comic made for the game)

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (#191)

Sonic Unleashed (#193)

Sonic and the Black Knight (#197)

Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series) Episodes:

Sonic the Hedgehog (Super Special #8, Episode: "Ghost Busted")

Sonic the Hedgehog (#113, Episode: "Cry of the Wolf")

Movies:

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie (#101)

Sonic the Hedgehog was originally published as a four issue mini-series, with the first issue labeled as "issue 0" and the second as "issue 1" (despite the note on issue 1 that it was the "first issue"). At the end of issue 3 (the fourth issue of the series), it was announced that Sonic would return in a regular series, and the next issue was published as "issue 1" of the regular series.

In addition to the main Sonic series, Archie Comics published various special issues. Longer than typical issues of the comic, these specials feature stories involving Sonic and other related characters. Several miniseries have also been published, featuring characters such as Sally, Tails and Knuckles.

Because of the popularity of the specials and Miniseries featuring Knuckles, in 1997 Knuckles the Echidna became an ongoing series. Knuckles's stories featured its own cast of Characters, including the Chaotix and Knuckles's romantic interest, Julie-Su. Like the Sonic comic, Knuckles's comic is filled with background information about Knuckles's family history. Knuckles's family has split into two factions: the Brotherhood of Guardians and the Dark Legion. Knuckles is a member of the former, and Julie-Su used to be a member of the latter. Much of the conflict of the comic surrounds the relations between these two warring factions.

In 1999, the series was cancelled, but the stories were continued in the pages of Sonic the Hedgehog. After Knuckles's cancellation and until issue 125, a typical issue of Sonic included a Sonic story and a Knuckles story, sometimes even including a third story. This led to each story getting considerably less space than it previously had. Recently, Knuckles's appearances have been infrequent but his story continues within Sonic's stories.

The creators also have a comic strip similar to those found in a newspaper at the end of some issues called Off-Panel. Off-Panel was in every issue for a long time and continues infrequently in the comic series. The strips parody the lives of the editor and the writers as they walk around the office and interact with characters from the comic in various ways.

LOL mod action conflict D= You win, Remz.

~Hahaha! didn't want to let that history of Archie go to waste. :F ~remz

I thought that future was altered?

This is obviously a continuation of the altered timeline after Shadow had been overthrown and Sonic and Sally reunited. Seeing as this is 30 years later, rather than 25, this story most likely takes place five years after Shadow was defeated and his empire subdued. Sonic and Sally must have given birth to their children from the previous timeline sometime within these five years, as they are admittedly younger than Lara-su, as opposed to being the same age as they are in the un-tampered timeline

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Well it's probably just me then cause I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet.

I'm still waiting on SU #1, too. :(

I'm still waiting on SU #1, too. :(

I still haven't received Sonic X #40 or Universe #1 from my subscription. Apparently, there has been a delay for Universe for subscribers for one reason or another and won't be shipping for a while.

The actual post I'm referring to:

I got this reply from Archie today

The Sonic Universe issue #1 is not yet available. There was a delay in the shipping and should arrive shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks,

Customer Service

Now that makes me wonder. Did anyone here get their SU #1 in the mail? Or did everyone who already has the issue get it by going to a store?

This is truly odd, but if you want your SU on time, check your comic book store as the others that have it have gotten it through there according to the thread because you may not get it for a while.

Unrelated to the shipping hasal, but Sonic # 198 has been reviewed here. Obviously, link contains spoilers.

http://sonichqcommunity.yuku.com/topic/879...8-Spoilers.html

Edited by Emerl

This is obviously a continuation of the altered timeline after Shadow had been overthrown and Sonic and Sally reunited. Seeing as this is 30 years later, rather than 25, this story most likely takes place five years after Shadow was defeated and his empire subdued. Sonic and Sally must have given birth to their children from the previous timeline sometime within these five years, as they are admittedly younger than Lara-su, as opposed to being the same age as they are in the un-tampered timeline

Damn they must've gotten Bus-ay! They waist no time getting things back to normal. For this to work, they'd have to be 4 1/2 years old, because it does takes a few months for stew to brew...fastest thing alive that's for sure...

I've been wondering if I should at all give a gander in the Archie comics again. Last comics I had back in Egypt (which were later given away before coming here) were #48-75, and there were some gifts with one "LOST IN SPACE" story and that one issue with the Original Robotnik appearing for that one issue. I think the somewhat angsty stories and bad character development (Sally at the time, I believe) sorta bore me. Though have been interested in the recent story lines I've been hearing about and the cartoony art style kinda appeals to me.

Plus, reading lots of odd comics ain't a bad thing, though it's somewhat costly and confusing to look into a bunch of comics that may interest me or finding out later that they were "Meh" or "Bleh" stories. (Not just for Sonic, but other comics). Though I may pick up Sonic Universe #1, just to see what it's like, based on people's thoughts about it, even what people who aren't big on Sonic saying it's a decent issue that they like.

I still haven't received Sonic X #40 or Universe #1 from my subscription. Apparently, there has been a delay for Universe for subscribers for one reason or another and won't be shipping for a while.

The actual post I'm referring to:

This is truly odd, but if you want your SU on time, check your comic book store as the others that have it have gotten it through there according to the thread because you may not get it for a while.

Unrelated to the shipping hasal, but Sonic # 198 has been reviewed here. Obviously, link contains spoilers.

http://sonichqcommunity.yuku.com/topic/879...8-Spoilers.html

Hm...that may explain why the SU subscription I ordered in February hasn't come yet.

I love the art style, and I intend to buy issue 200, but I just never got into this series. There's too much drama in my opinion. I just got interested in Sonic X on the last issue, but Sonic Universe seems interesting. It would be cool if Universe's main characters were just Marine, Blaze, and Shadow for the whole series, with minor appearances from Sonic and the others. And judging from what I've seen of Universe so far, Shadow and Marine are gonna be the funniest characters in the comic as long as they're together.

Edit:

Okay I just saw the cover of SU #5, and I have lost a bit of faith in the series because I want to see a story about SONIC, not his kids.

I still will buy issue 1 (to give it a chance and to be reasonable, especially since that cover could just be an AMAZING hoax), only to see the chemistry between Shadow and Marine. Maybe I'll learn to love it for giving us an alternate look at Sonic, even if some of the characters aren't really canon. Lets just hope that Shadow

isn't paired with anybody unreasonable, then his children become some pair of super-powerful demons that Sonic's kids will have to fight.

Edited by Ivana

Damn they must've gotten Bus-ay! They waist no time getting things back to normal. For this to work, they'd have to be 4 1/2 years old, because it does takes a few months for stew to brew...fastest thing alive that's for sure...

*chuckles like an idiot* :lol:

And Frobman, I highly recommend the comic now. It isn't nearly as emo as it used to be. It's light and fun and actiony with enough drama and characterization to keep the story (usually) engaging.

Alrighty. I'll give 'em a gander. Also, any recomendations of comics to look up post #75, if just for back issues reasons (could always get those archive books for the older issues if I ever find them)

Dude, check out issues 86 and 87. It features Sonic vs. a highly witty, awesome rendition of Metal Sonic, and the interactions between the two are a real treat to read. It also references the Mecha Madness storyline pretty meaningfully.

Edited by Jake

Along with Jake's suggestions, the only issues I would suggest between #75 and #160 are #138-#141, "Return to Angel Island". Not only are the drawn by Dubs, it also features one of the best scripts from Karl Bollers. It's actually FUNNY for one thing.

I would also suggest the entire Knuckles Series, Super Special #2 (Brave New World), #6 (The REAL, and much better, End Game finale), #5 and #9 (the two Sonic Kids specials), and #14 (the finale of the Knuckles series).

Also keep in mind that Ian's run isn't all golden. While #160-#161 is a nice light hearted introduction for him, the three parter "Darkest Storm" was terrible. A couple of his stories after are almost as undwhelming. It's his later stuff that gets better. I was particularly fond of the last arc, "Bold New Moebius", although many believe the arc ran a little long.

I just recieved issue 198 in the mail. Here's a brief summary of what goes down.

1.Sonic & friends mount an assault against the dark egg legion.

2.Since enerjak wiped out all his badniks, the eggman himself decides to take matters into his own hands with a new mech called the egg phoenix.

3.Dimitri reveals that while searching for anything to use against snively just in case Dr. R decides to go ape on his people and snively decides to just sit by and let him, he found out about snively's little pen pal and threatens to tell robotnik. Snively, however, says they could both benefit from her arrival.

4.Sonic tricks eggman into flying the egg phoenix out of mobius' atmosphere and falling like a rock to the planet below. This gives Charmy, Safron, and Ray enough time to plant neutralizing mines all over it. The beast explodes and the eggman retreats.

5.The FFs set up camp and plan their final attack on robotnik's city for tomorrow. Tails worries that they might make a mistake and lose, but sonic reassures him that they won't lose.

6.Snively and Dimitri also have something planned for tomorrow.....something eggman doesn't know about.

That's all for this month.

Oh for the love of all sacred. I'm sick and tired of the M:25YL later stories.

1. It's not the true future and never can be. Stuff's already happened to contradict that story within the continuity.

2. Most of the fanbase does not care about Sonic and Sally. Most people are over the whole third wave kick too. Would it honestly kill Archie to explore multiple possibilities? What about Amy or Mina? Again M:25YL's not canon and has already been contradicted. So no "what about Tails?" responses. And if Sonic can break up with Fiona, Mina can break up with Ash. And hey if Tails can go out with Mina in a possible future, Amy whose the same age as Tails can have a future with Sonic whose the same age as Mina.

See, THAT is why I like Sally better in SatAM. I can't see SatAM's Sally as the sort to really settle down as queen, as she often says that her title is meaningless and never really speaks of ruling a Kingdom in that show, unlike Archie!Sal who seems to be tied by that responsibility of being a princess.

She said "out here in the great forest, titles are meaningless." That'd make sense to say because she doesn't have a formal city to run and her castle's in Mobitropolis.

Yeah I think that's what made Son/Sal look to work in the old days. I've always felt that Sonic and Sally would have more of a loving relationship over Son/Amy, where Sonic could truly be smart and adventurous with Sally.

If anything Sonic's intelligence was continuously demeaned by Sally in SatAM. In Archie Sonic and co. constantly go through phases of developing as a team in a way that makes Sally obsolete, to "needing" her leadership. Not only that but Amy doesn't seem to have a problem with Sonic's lifestyle. In fact she seems to admire it. Sally on the other hand has recently gone on record to say she hates the war. I think if Sally did start seeing this as a game the relationship would probably just fall apart as Sally would become another Sonic.

Son/Amy would be more of an accidental pregnancy thing and Sally needed to marry nobility. But the idea of Sonic and Sally having kids died after I saw Archy's versions of them. In a cartoony way it works but the rest of the comics don't work like that. Sonic should only have kids with Amy IMO.

I think Sonic could have kids with Mina too. I could see Sonia and Manic working with their original appearances if they were with Mina and Amy with Sonic. In anycase I don't really beleive Sally belonged with Sonic or even as part of the Sonic mythos within the series. I feel that because Sonic is supposed to have a vast array of friends and surrogate family, that she should not exist.

I received issue #198.

So far I am extremely disappointed in Renae Deliz's interpretation; though needless to say that her pencils were MUCH better than when they were inked. In short, it looks like another Ron Lim job.

Renae really needs to work on her human characters; especially Snively who takes the worst hit at the end of this comic ( and I know Ol' Needlenose ain't a looker.) Hopefully with much experience, she can become better like our own Tracy Yardley did with time and practice.

Good news! Robotnik styles that fluffy little white scarf seen back in the Enerjak arc. You are sooooooooo cute, yes you are, Eggy. Sooooooooooo adorable! ~ <3

Also one more thing to point out is that Mighty now has plate ridges like a real armadillo.

I'll get a longer review up later.

Oh for the love of all sacred. I'm sick and tired of the M:25YL later stories.

Maybe you are, but the majority of the people that write to the comic aren't.

Popular demand wins out every single time

Okay I just saw the cover of SU #5, and I have lost a bit of faith in the series because I want to see a story about SONIC, not his kids.

Oh good god no, is that what part of that comic is about o_O?

Maybe you are, but the majority of the people that write to the comic aren't.

Did I say I was speaking for the writers? No.

Popular demand wins out every single time

Except SonSal's not even popular among Sonic fans.

BUT, M25YL proved popular with fans of the comic, and people who wrote in, and that supported the whole "SonSal" thing. So any continuation of a story that fans demanded would obviously continue where the story left off. No, that doesn't mean they support Son/Sal specifically, but at the very least it didn't ruin the story for them if they wanted more...

By the way, I am quite sure TSS has some rule against relationship discussion, so thats enough of this Son/Sal nonsense from me...

Honestly, I'm dissapointed that Archie delayed the Knuckles story for an out of continuity story...I mean, I liked what Ian did with in in 168-9 well enough, but when you only have so much space with whch to tell stories, why waste it on something out of continuity? Ah well. I personally want to see stuff based off of Underground and the Sonic X comic, wrap up some loose plot threads there. If we're gonna do out of continuity stuff.

So far I am extremely disappointed in Renae Deliz's interpretation; though needless to say that her pencils were MUCH better than when they were inked. In short, it looks like another Ron Lim job.

I really wouldn't equate her to Ron Lim. Lim couldn't draw a single Mobian correctly,but drew humans fine.

Renae draws Sonic and his Mobian buddies far better then Lim, and unlike Lim, Renae's work has actually been butchered by Archie's inks and colorers. Archie's notorious for butchering great pencil work with a horrible colorist. I hope Herms starts coloring regularly, he's great....

Oh good god no, is that what part of that comic is about o_O?

Yep. Adult Sonic has kids.

Edited by nuckles87

I got my copy of #198, read it, LOVED IT~!

Renae Deliz's work is simply amazing, stunning, and all things good. It's a great breath of fresh new art after Tracey Yardley's work (I'm not a big fan). The story was great too; the way they dealt with the Egg Phoenix was exactly how I had envisioned after seeing the first sketches of Deliz's work.

I'm really happy to see the characters as themselves again....they are how I've always known them to be; Sonic's lines are perfect, they managed to cram in so much of his cockiness, saying he's equal to thirty D.E.L guys, I LOVE how enthusiastic he is about the plan involving him being reckless, and after Sally says to make camp when he responds with "I guess thats a full day, y'know for you people!" - and I'm glad to see Sonic and Tails' relationship as buddies again; Sonic reconsiling Tails when he's got the jitters about ending the war. Plus Sonic/Sally hinted to again! and dare I say it Sally looks hot! All the chemisrty between them two! This is what the comic was all about, and I'm glad to see this again!

The action was awesome too. I like that they cut the (mostly useless) side stories, so they can fit more into the main story, thats good. But the pace! Worthy of Sonic himself! One moment the hero's on the win, the next surpressed by the Egg-Phoenix, the next a blistering fast paced plan, and I love that so many characters were involved.....and not just in the small things, all the action too! Tails and Sally having a calculated near miss with the Egg-Phoenix = pure win!

I really have to say this is the best Sonic read I've had in a looong time. Great art, great story, great use of characters and the character portrayed oh so well. I can't wait to see what tops this next issue, but if its this awesome I'll be pleased.

I personally didn't care for Renae's art at all, her artstyle just isn't my taste, and her pacing is hard to follow. I know there's like, supposed to be a fight going on, but I can't get a clear picture.

BUT, M25YL proved popular with fans of the comic,

I'll take that with a grain of salt considering the source. But assuming it so, I guess it would be. The comic doesn't sell what it used to. They're targetting game fans by introducing gaming elements and from what I can guess (note this is a guess) kick Eggman out the Empire and getting him to be more like the games. In spite of this they keep hamfisting SonSal, something that a lot of these would-be buyers don't care about. People who are in the spectrum of vehemently hating that pairing to nagging annoyance because he should :

*be a free spirit

*want a genuine bond invested in his buddies

*want him with another girl

*etc

are probably not going to be as dedicated to this book to leave a letter. I sure as heck haven't.

By the way, I am quite sure TSS has some rule against relationship discussion, so thats enough of this Son/Sal nonsense from me...

I don't see a rule.

Honestly, I'm dissapointed that Archie delayed the Knuckles story for an out of continuity story...I mean, I liked what Ian did with in in 168-9 well enough, but when you only have so much space with whch to tell stories, why waste it on something out of continuity? Ah well. I personally want to see stuff based off of Underground and the Sonic X comic, wrap up some loose plot threads there. If we're gonna do out of continuity stuff.

My hope is that Ian gives Knux more personality. It's hard to really get into his adventures when I don't care about the character.

I really wouldn't equate her to Ron Lim. Lim couldn't draw a single Mobian correctly,but drew humans fine.

I saw her pencils and they were nothing like Lim's. I'm scared to see the ink job now.

Yep. Adult Sonic has kids.

Thankfully its only a possible glimpse into the future. So hopefully no Mina with Tails. I know Ken sort of put that idea up out of nowhere but...Mina and ...Tails?

Edited by Miko

I just finished reading up to issue 50; so far, so good. Mind you, this is the first time I've ever decided to read the series proper from the very beginning - as a kid, I've only read a number of assorted pre-50 issues in the middle, generally around the 30-40 range.

The first 20 issues are actually really crap, but from 21 on out, it gets generally pretty awesome (especially issue 35... I always loved the Ancient Walkers and how every character who meets them gets his mind fucked without learning anything until later). I also find myself much more immersed in the Floating Island's backstory, along with Knuckles's, than with anything else in the series, so I'm actually looking forward to reading the Knuckles series pretty soon.

And despite a lot of pacing issues with the End Game arc, I thought it was pretty good overall - a lot more satisfying, at least, than SatAM's final episode.

Oh yeah, and Athair rocks. I can tell that the info surrounding Knuckles is going to be pretty interesting.

I personally didn't care for Renae's art at all, her artstyle just isn't my taste, and her pacing is hard to follow. I know there's like, supposed to be a fight going on, but I can't get a clear picture.
I think it was quite well paced, afterall it was an action scene, and this is Sonic afterall - not all action needs to be slowly plotted out and explained in detail to the reader; to make it appear as though its moving as fast sometime its better to leave out things and let the readers imagination fill in those small gaps. I for one had no problem with reading it, and loved the fact it felt like those events all happened so quickly.

I know it's all a matter of taste, but I really can't see how people don't like her art, I mean, it just looks so professional and well thought out, so like Sonic and even almost to the quality of other more popluar comic books out there....the art before hers I always felt was too rough, and gave the comic a "this is only for kids" feel.

In fact I like her art so much I'm not liking the inking, because whoever is doing the inking is making the work lose ALOT of detail when you compare it to her original line work.

I'm usually a sucker for the covers, but since Spaz doesn't do them anymore they've felt bland. Now I'm more excited for the stuff inside!

Edited by The-Master-Board