Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I actually don't know why they stopped doing game adaptations outside the main book. Let me tell you I am an old reader and there was nothing cooler than having the comic that was named after the game. I'm talking about the 48-page specials or super specials they were called. Of course they started making some really stupid ones like Sonic Kids and the game comics only ever loosely fit the story (Triple Trouble was hella cool though about an emerald breaking in half), but I think Ian is more suited to adapt one than the old Archie staff who didn't even play the games.

Also hey guys, isn't Ian's NYCC panel tonight at 7:30?

I actually really enjoyed the sonic kids issue, since I always like looking at people's pictures of them as kids because it is adorable usually.

Still, to make a good game adaptation, they need to not only know the game story ahead of time, they would need to most likely stick close to the source material. However, doing that can make the issues very dull because they are now too similar to the game. If you know the games story, you know the comics story, and it is now predictable, which is very dull for a story when it is your first time through it. Even when they have been doing prequels and such for  the games for the last few in their issues, honestly, I didn't think they added that much to you trying to get the game. To me, it was often just used up space in an issue that could have been used to progress the story even further.

I feel like game adaptations worked best when Archie called their own shots and incorporated stuff from the games when they needed to. Sonic Adventure suffers from shoehorning in various ideas into the Archie continuity with no real knowledge of the final game (the writers' knowledge actually came from Spaz playing the Japanese version of SA1 before the Dreamcast even dropped in the US).

Earlier stories fit into the continuity because they were much looser adaptations that borrowed from the games, but had very little to do with them once you get beyond the surface. The "Tails Adventure" arc in Sonic Universe is a good example of doing a game adaptation for the sake of telling a good story and introducing some new characters/villains. While it's closer to the source, it sets up new antagonists that can be used so readers get a break from Sonic vs. Eggman once in a while. It also helps that it's not tied down to being a blatant advertisement either.

But I guess all this is moot now since it seems SEGA continuity has overtaken Archie continuity post-crossover.

Edited by Zaysho

Tails Adventure was a bit different; it's an old game that SEGA doesn't even consider part of the universe that Sonic currently lives in, there was a lot more freedom with what could go down. With upcoming games, there'd be a lot more restrictions in place. 

I loved the Tails Adventure adaptation. Yes, there wasn't a ton of material to work from, but that is likely why it was so easy to work with. You have a general idea and you know what is supposed to happen, but you have a lot more freedom in how to get there. Besides my love for Tails of course, it just seems to work so well because there isn't the dull predictability like if they were to try and adapt some of the more recent games, where the story and such is more set in stone and has to work in this particular way.

Tails Adventure was a bit different; it's an old game that SEGA doesn't even consider part of the universe that Sonic currently lives in, there was a lot more freedom with what could go down. With upcoming games, there'd be a lot more restrictions in place. 

Yeah I know, but I used it as a point for when a game adaptation is done well because Archie chose to use it and could do what they want in a way without disrupting the continuity, which could be a tangled mess at times. Makes me wonder if in this new universe we'll be seeing more game adaptations or if those will still be relegated to back-up stories that don't disrupt the current story.

Edited by Zaysho

Would not mind little Easter Eggs with these Archie character models in Sonic games at all.

They look right at home.

Looked what popped up at comic-con

tumblr_muhjw4rMPr1r6r1iuo2_500.jpg

tumblr_muhjw4rMPr1r6r1iuo1_500.jpg

Archie characters in game-verese, believe!

Against my better judgement, I would support the Archie Freedom Fighters becoming recurring characters in the game universe. Not all of 'em, but just enough that they're a thing.

I'd pay to play as Sally. Maybe.

Oh, it probably is.

Still is nice to dream, though~

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

A Sonic Jump Super Digest issue is humorously discussed as well, written by Flynn and illustrated by Peppers.

Another Super Special issue featuring a story based on Sonic Dash is revealed to audience surprise. Flynn humorously notes the relative lack of story in Sonic Dash and attempted to “squeeze every bit of pathos out of ‘Sonic goes fast’.”

The Sonic Super Special series is discussed. Issue 9, featuring Sonic Lost World, is set to come out in November. Sonic Lost World will be featured during Archie’s Comicfest as well.

Flynn expresses that Shadow Fall is a return to a Shadow-oriented storyline fueled by fan demand. A never-before-seen cover for issue 60 is revealed to a warm reception.

A four-part series called Shadow Fall is introduced next. Pencil artist Jamal Peppers discusses the series and the enjoyment he gets out of drawing it, especially Shadow. An alternate cover featuring Shadow is revealed to ooh’s from the audience.

The illustrator’s admires his Chibi-ization of the squid looming in the background of the image.

A Chibi variant of issue 58 is shown, and the illustrator discusses the difficulty of translating Sonic characters into this super-deformed look.

The “Pirate Plunder Panic” series of Sonic Universe is shown, which ends at issue 58 of Sonic Universe.

The panel turns to Sonic Universe, which is becoming Archie’s most successful Sonic spin-off series of all time.

Uncolored pages from issue 255 are shown as well.

Exclusive pages from issue 254 are shown.

According to Flynn, the Freedom Fighters have stopped functioning as a team. It is time to put the team back together and get them back into their old habits. Kaminski notes that Sally Acorn is not metallic this time around.

Kaminski debuts issue 257, in which the Freedom Fighters return.

Various comic covers are displayed. Flynn and Kaminski stress that Countdown to Chaos truly is the beginning of a series-altering event.

Artist Ben Bates did a series of four comic covers that all link together. Kaminski encourages the community to email Archie and request a poster of these covers put together.

Ian Flynn gives a brief overview of Countdown to Chaos to laughter and applause from the audience. Flynn discusses how the changes in it will have a “huge, definitive effect” on the canon of Sonic going forward.

Kaminski overviews the basic plot line of the crossover.

Kaminski thanks the community for supporting the Sonic/Mega Man crossover.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can clearly see "Sonic Comics SEGA 257" at the top. Thinking this was a game cover should not be on anyone's minds.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 6

Amazing that they always have more stuff to show and talk about in NYCC than SDCC

bestofsonic.jpg

You guys don't remember this? I believe its SPAZ that can do the pseudo-3d mimic artstyle, it does look like game models from afar.

Same case with that cover, its the pseudo-3d artstyle.

• Thumbs Up 1

As Goku above me pointed out, Spaz is perfectly capable of rendering something like that (such as the above "Best of..." cover). However, just the way Sonic's and the other characters faces look doesn't seem to match up with Spaz's style. Could be another artist who actually made 3D models and made a cover for Archie. Regardless of who did it, I'm digging the look of the cover.

Edited by Zaysho

Wow, just wow... Perhaps if Sega's interested in expanding the game cast some more, then Archie can always give them some viable suggestions.

From what I understand, there was a showing of the Sonic Universe #60 cover at the comic-con. Anybody got pictures of that?

From what I understand, there was a showing of the Sonic Universe #60 cover at the comic-con. Anybody got pictures of that?

Yeah, take SU#59 and reapply it.

Turns out Shadow Fall is being delayed to SU#60.

Edit: Alternate cover (or poster design?) to #257;

tumblr_muhlx00Unh1r6r1iuo1_500.jpg

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 5

Delayed a whole month? I wonder what SU 59 will be then

Hmm... could it be that Sonic Underground conclusion comic that's been delayed for a while now?

• Thumbs Up 6