Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I said "may have" meaning its possible according to the paper weig-I mean complete encyclopedia which is probably useless now

I still have to pick up the Encyclopedia because I've been curious about some of the contents (which seem to trickle into the "Sagas" trades). But it just occurred to me they may have wiped Nic altogether because she was a totally original character created by Ken Penders [/sarcasm] (though in fairness, the mass wiping of all of "Penders's" characters was partially on the legal team Archie hired at the time). Not that it really mattered, didn't she only appear in the back-up stories that adapted the SegaSonic arcade game (don't remember the issue numbers, but they were the only worthwhile stories in the "First Date" issues of the Knuckles comics)? I think she had a cameo in, like, #165, but I can't think of any other instances of her appearing.

That reminds me were there any new things in the encyclopedia besides nic's redesign

Some new art of the the Sand Blasters and the non-Rob/Mari-An Mercian Freedom Fighters, proper establishment of the Acorn lineage, the plight of Eli-Za, the origin of Enerjak and the official publication of the baronies theory regarding the Original Freedom Fighters, just off the top of my head. 

So it explains why bunnies family hates the kingdom of acorn? Why was that?

(dragon natuarlly speaking this)  dragon_naturally_speaking_the_post_befor

Monday, October 14, 2013
start time : 3:08 PM

Now I did another version of this earlier today, and what I'm about to say is something that as fans we need to start considering or at least doing.

Ever since the New York comic convention last year. And throughout all of 2013 so far, this fan base has been divided on the character redesigns.  Some love them, some are okay with them, and others just flat out disdain them.  Well I can understand that, but I believe we should focus more outside of the redesigns and/or at least talk about what potentially could happen as a result of this soft reboot.

With the redesigns, I can understand that the main problem with them, is not how they look, but how the personalities will portray them.  I believe as a longtime fan, that the personalities of the characters will not change whatsoever, they might have a tweak here and there, but if Ian Flynn says that the characters will be who they are as we know them, then whether we want to believe him or not, we will just have to wait it out and for right now, take his word on it.

But as I mentioned above, we need to focus more on what could happen afterwards.  For example, what kind of character development will we get from the freedom fighters, once they come in contact with Nicole.  I mean one of the major things that fans are indeed worried about and understandably so, is Antoine and Bunnie's marriage.  Will it still exist?, Or will be null and void?  You see that is something that I am intrigued about.  Because if Ian Flynn decides to make the marriage and act like it never happened, and possibly the relationship of Antoine and Bunnie as well, to me that would be the wrong thing to do.  Because out of all the romantic couples and relationships in the comic's history, you don't take one that through all the trials and errors and all the ups and downs that several writers took them through for 127 issues and that alone was built up to the marriage in 174, and then add on the 60 issues that came afterwards, plus the four sonic universe issues that they were a part of, and you would be throwing away up to about 190 issues of story and character development.  That is what Ian Flynn would be doing with the Antoine/Bunnie relationship and marriage, just throwing out almost 200 issues worth of character and story development.

And that's just one thing that could change as a result of this soft reboot.   Another could be Fiona Fox.  Now I get that storyline wise, she's in the anti-world, but who's to say she still won't be affected.  Think about it, a majority of fans were upset that Ian Flynn turned her bad/antihero in 172, for as some put it no real reason.  Well let's look at it this way, it appears that everything that's occurring in CTC, is taking place between 225 and 230, and perhaps even before that.  And one must wonder, if perhaps Fiona might be softly rebooted back onto the side of good.  That's another thing that I would be intrigued about.

And hey, what about factions?  Who's to say that the sandblast freedom fighters and Baron Beauregard's dark Legion didn't switch sides.  Who's to say that the sandblast freedom fighters are not now the sandblast egg Army and who's to say Baron Beauregard's dark egg Legion are  not now freedom fighters.  

You see it's stuff like that, that we should be discussing more then our love/hatred for the main cast redesigns.

And hey speaking of the main cast, whose to say that fan service will not be part of this soft reboot.  Ian Flynn has proven that he can do just that, heck the comic as a whole throughout its history has proven that.  Who's to say it won't happen more so in the soft reboot.  
I mean, if you want a good example of what potential fan service on a romantic scale could be delivered to us courtesy of this soft reboot, how about Tails/Amy, hey with this soft reboot it could happen.  I mean there are some, if not a majority of fans that want to see Tails have a girlfriend.  And from what they've said about Ian Flynn, perhaps Tails might get hooked up with Amy.  But on the other hand, there's three more choices, they are, Mina, and this is due to the future story arc, as well as  possibly a rebooted and good Fiona Fox, or perhaps what has become the biggest fan supported relationship for our two tailed friend, none other then Nicole.  Now I know some a you might raise your eyebrows about that, but apparently it's one of the most popular fan supported pairings in the Sonic fanbase.  And if Ian Flynn wants to provide some fan service to the fans,, who knows he might make it happen due to this being a soft rebooted continuity.

Again it's stuff like this, that I believe we should focus more on, then just the character redesigns.  Because whether we want to admit or not, it seems that these redesigns are here for the long haul.  So I suggest as fans we focus more on the aftereffects of CTC more than the character redesigns.

Because when one thinks about it folks, if we keep complaining about the character redesigns, we lose focus on what's really important and that's the story and the continuity that goes with it.  Besides let's remember one thing, nothing last forever.  So we cannot say that these redesigns will be here until the comic is eventually canceled, because when I say long haul, I look at more of a year to two-year maybe three year run, before we get another redesign or continuity event that switches things back to the way they were or changes them more so.

So again, I ask as a fellow longtime Sonic fan, let's please try to focus on more of what could happen storyline/continuity wise, then what the redesigns of the characters will look like.

I have more to say in my alternate version, which I'm sure a lot of you know of and a lot of you know where to find it, and if you like take your time with it.  But that's all I have to say on the matter right now.

God bless and take care.

Ending time : 3:42 PM
Edited by bwrosas

So it explains why bunnies family hates the kingdom of acorn? Why was that?

They felt oppressed by the rule of the Kingdom of Acorn.

...Waitaminute, did Ian just turn Trey into a radicalist who felt he was doing good? What the fuck. 

That does sound weird I recall Trey betrayed the team simply because he's a snake and it "in his nature"

That does sound weird I recall Trey betrayed the team simply because he's a snake and it "in his nature"

Trey being the snake character from the original FF's yes that were betrayed by him to Robotnik?

Can you blame Ian for changing it to something less ridiculous? Plus, typecasting based on species is something I feel should be avoided at all costs.

Yeah the whole "because I'm a Snake" thing was rather stupid. That's trying to imply all snakes are evil, which I highly doubt despite how they are often represented in media.

Regular Snake Mobians would problemly think that as racist or something.

Yeah the whole "because I'm a Snake" thing was rather stupid. That's trying to imply all snakes are evil, which I highly doubt despite how they are often represented in media.

Regular Snake Mobians would problemly think that as racist or something.

Well both snake characters I can think of have both been made to be evil, and it is a very common thing in media, religion and other forms of entertainment that all serpents are representations of evil. Obviously, if you have a snake character, most people tend to make them evil just to stick to the  stereotype yes.

Can you blame Ian for changing it to something less ridiculous? Plus, typecasting based on species is something I feel should be avoided at all costs.
Good point glad that was changed

The only recent games I can think of that he's been in are Generations, Sonic 4, and ASRT. I wouldn't call that "every game".

There's also Free Riders, Mario & Sonic 2&3 and the original ASR. Saying he's rarely used is just not true.

I'm sure most people are referring to his minor or lacking presence in the main series titles when they say he's rarely used, since those are usually the titles people would prefer to see their favorites have a noticeable and decent part in.

The last Sonic game where Metal actually did something was in Sonic 4: Episode II. I'd still argue that Metal was Eggman's slave during the whole game (again), but whatever.

That's a big reason why I like Shadow better. He does whatever the hell he wants, and screw what anybody thinks of it.

There's also Free Riders, Mario & Sonic 2&3 and the original ASR. Saying he's rarely used is just not true.

Apart from Free Riders, none of those examples are true Sonic games. To avoid hypocrisy I'll retract my reference to ASRT, but that still leaves us with only three games. Of these three, Sonic 4 is the only one that was a platformer and gave him any kind of significance.

Right, so playing a bit of catch-up...apparently Big can spin-dash now.

Starting to find it to be more bullshit to say Big can't be useful like everyone else, and I still don't like him as far as the gameverse goes (comicverse is a different story).

Starting to find it to be more bullshit to say Big can't be useful like everyone else, and I still don't like him as far as the gameverse goes (comicverse is a different story).

Eh, it's questionable. The lead-in was that he walked off a cliff, so it might just be an accidental offensive roll as opposed to a spin-dash.

at this point the spindash is just an ability everybody has its not special anymore

Yeah, I know. I not really against having it more ubiquitous anyway.

Honestly, I assumed Silver Sonic bowled him down the cliff, but that whole section of the issue is kind of oddly paced anyway (and Silver Sonic went out like a punk... again).

I don't particularly care for Big either, but I think even the comics are showing that whole "no bad characters, just bad writers" if Archie is somehow getting mileage out of him. Sure, he's still slow and dimwitted, but at least he's useful.

Honestly, I assumed Silver Sonic bowled him down the cliff, but that whole section of the issue is kind of oddly paced anyway (and Silver Sonic went out like a punk... again).

I don't particularly care for Big either, but I think even the comics are showing that whole "no bad characters, just bad writers" if Archie is somehow getting mileage out of him. Sure, he's still slow and dimwitted, but at least he's useful.

actualy, if I remmeber correctly the comic doesnt even have him be dimwitted, just a little slow

Oh, and it wasnt a true spidash, he was just rolling down the cliff, just look in this panel for proof

13.jpg

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

actualy, if I remmeber correctly the comic doesnt even have him be dimwitted, just a little slow

Oh, and it wasnt a true spidash, he was just rolling down the cliff, just look in this panel for proof

13.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from that picture if it is a roll or a spindash there, but I can go with either or really. I don't think it has really been explained has it? I can see either explanation working there.

13.jpg

Oh. I remembered seeing him about to climb over the rail, but didn't see him going down the cliff, so I thought Silver Sonic pushed him right after Sonic and Tails jumped in to help Rotor. Though, like Jet said, it's possible he just rolled, but I guess spindashing isn't out of the question either at this point.