Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I can't help but wonder why on that little pic of all the Freedom fighters there, not only is Amy already there but she's in her modern design...

So this Sonic Origins thing is supposed to basically give us a plot of how the New!Universe came to be before it was meshed with the Old!Universe?

So this Sonic Origins thing is supposed to basically give us a plot of how the New!Universe came to be before it was meshed with the Old!Universe?

That's what I was wondering. Judging by the cover it looks like Sonic is in the Scrap Brain Zone.

That'd be my guess based on the very brief summary offered in the solicitation. It sounds like they'll be exploring the origins of this universe's Freedom Fighters. And the title makes me think that time travel might be involved... Past/Future posts from Sonic CD, perhaps?

I'm very intrigued to hear what Ian Flynn had planned. I also wonder whether the Sonic origin could be about the origin for the new universe or what. Looking forward to these.

Ian Flynn To Release Orginal Plans of the Mecha Sally Arc Stroyline from 2012-2013

http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7231

We're fast approaching Christmas - it practically blindsided me this year. I like to try to do something each year - an "Ask Ian" or something. This year, I'm asking for y'alls' help to organize a little project - one you've all wanted for a while now.

What is the project?

Lost Hedgehog Tales will be a write-up of all my original plans for the 2012-2013 period, along with my original scrapped ideas for the Road to #275 and Road to #300. 

What will it specifically contain?

An informal overview of storylines I pitched or was planning to pitch before things got all... dramatic. There will not be any manuscript material, nor any original documents sent to Archie. Think of it as me pulling a box out of the attic, going through its contents, and telling you about each thing. Those "things" will include:

- the original ending to the King Naugus Arc

- Mecha Sally's fate

- both versions of "Endangered Species"

- the aforementioned plans that would've taken us through STH#300

- Hershey's role

- ...and more!

What do you need our help for?

Prompting my memory, mostly. This thread is for folks to request follow-up on stuff that slipped through the cracks. Ever since the shake-up, all my time and effort has been focused on the current state of the comics. All my old plans had to be tossed out, so I've not devoted any thought to them. And while I have my notes, I had a lot of plates spinning, so I'm going to be rusty. Everyone had a subplot or character they were invested in. Now's your chance to get a small form of closure.

I will not be covering such things as:

- confirmation of cut content

- commentary on the legal proceedings or individuals involved

- other potential hot-button topics I can't think of immediately

When will this be done?

When it's done, really. My work and life take priority, so this will be picked over when I have time. I also don't want to stealing the thunder of "Countdown to Chaos," so it certainly won't be out before STH#256. I'll try to have it done before the summer, though.

I've had my wallet open for a while now. How much?

This will be released for free when it's done. I briefly considered charging a little fee, or asking for good faith donations - this is a lot of work I did that's going to be for nothing - but I've ultimately ruled against it. I can't afford a lawyer to navigate the legalities of this, and I'm concerned certain parties would take me to court regardless of whether or not I was in the clear.

But I know my First Amendment rights, and casually writing about "what would've been a neat idea" is safe enough. Expect a big, beefy disclaimer at the very beginning, tho'.

Along that line... Archie is cool with this?

I don't know - I haven't asked. This is all me. Since this material isn't being used by them, and a fair bit of it was never shown to them, they're not really involved. This is just me doing something for the fans. An informal, unlicensed, non-profit, unofficial thing for fun.

So let me know what y'all are interested in me following up on.

NOTE: I'm seeing some questions being phrased as "Will we see..." or "Will this happen?" No, no they will not. These things will never happen. The write-up will simply cover what I wanted to happen. This is without editorial or license-holder input or oversight. So when this comes out, keep in mind everything could've been very different in the end.

Hi.

I didn't see this posted, and thought it might be interesting for those that still want to know what Flynn had planned originally.

Flynn will do an informal write up, giving us an idea of his orignal plans up to #300. It's not official or endorsed by Archie/SEGA, but it's his way of giving us a taste of what could've been had things not gone down as they did.

While I'm fine with and adjusting to the new universe (though I'd rather the reboot didn't happen in the first place), I think it's a nice gesture on his part, given how divisive the reboot has been among readers and all.

Last page, homeboy.

sorry didn't know.

You could just skim the last couple pages to see what has and hasn't been posted. You did the same thing with Ben Bates's Mecha-Sally sketches (VEDJ-F posted those before you did). It's really not difficult to just read the current conversation.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you can save yourself some trouble by just checking what other people are posting.

I am not looking forward at all to Sonic Origins. It looks like it's going to be a slap in the face to those who prefer the old continuity.

I am not looking forward at all to Sonic Origins. It looks like it's going to be a slap in the face to those who prefer the old continuity.

Dude, they're going to give the details of the original story plan at some point. They've practically given a number of apologies as far as changing the continuity, a big one being that the redesigned FF are given memories of their old universe.

It's not like they're doing this to be insulting, and I still like the old verse myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'm liking the newniverse better so far. Also, we could just assume that this story takes place closer to Adventure than CD; Amy has already changed her look and Sonic just hasn't hit his growth spurt yet, which I now just assume is why he is taller in the modern canon because I can live with Classic Sonic having Green Eyes.

Dude, they're going to give the details of the original story plan at some point. They've practically given a number of apologies as far as changing the continuity, a big one being that the redesigned FF are given memories of their old universe.

It's not like they're doing this to be insulting, and I still like the old verse myself.

Even so, it still makes me feel uncomfortable. And even if some characters remember the old universe, what good is that? I don't want the old universe to be just a memory!

Even so, it still makes me feel uncomfortable. And even if some characters remember the old universe, what good is that? I don't want the old universe to be just a memory!

Hey it's better than just abandoning everything all together. I understand how you feel I really do but like Toby that's pretty much how things are

But it isn't fair! I loved the old universe, flawed as it was, and now there's literally nothing left. I don't understand how you guys can be so calm about this!

But it isn't fair! I loved the old universe, flawed as it was, and now there's literally nothing left. I don't understand how you guys can be so calm about this!

I know its not great. I'm having trouble adjusting myself. The thing is, what's done is done. Ken's been a douche, we're reaping the rewards. Can't do anything about it, so complaining won't do anything.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's probably because the purge happened months ago. People have had time to adjust.

It probably leaves a sour taste in certain peoples' mouths, mine included, but complaining about it constantly isn't going to bring what's gone back. Gotta move on and see what's in store for the future. Think positive.

At least we have some things from the old universe, like Eggman having an army, some of the Ian characters that still exist, etc.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sometimes you just gotta leave the past behind and move forward, especially with all the crap Penders put the comic and Archie in general and SEGA getting more involved with how their franchise is handled in other media, such changes is to be expected.

Not even Paul and Ian could do too much about it, so what's done is done, best to live with it.

And on the bright side atleast the comics are still continuing and are better now than they were 10 years ago which is something you wouldn't normally hear for most comics *coughnew52cough*

• Thumbs Up 1

And on the bright side atleast the comics are still continuing and are better now than they were 10 years ago which is something you wouldn't normally hear for most comics *coughnew52cough*

Agreed on that, this isn't as bad as the bullshit stuff that happens with Marvel and DC, and yeah the comic could've just been canned all together.

So yeah, be grateful for what you have.

• Thumbs Up 1

We don't have a choice. And, frankly, after the butchery of "Endangered Species," thanks in part to Penders claiming rights to characters that really shouldn't be his, I'd rather the universe be "soft" rebooted this way than have a huge chunk of the cast forever lost in limbo or otherwise removed from the story because of legal nonsense.

I'd rather it didn't happen at all, but it's better than the book being reset to #1 or canceled. Archie doesn't have to do a lot of things, and could just as easily have told us "tough luck, deal with it" but I think it's nice they're making any effort at all to get people adjusted and they aren't pretending that the new 'verse is anything other than new.

I'm still bummed that we lost a lot of characters, and others may or may not be showing up again (really hoping Scourge comes back, along with a few others), but there's not much we can do on our end. Archie and Flynn both know that the fans are disappointed by this, but they're stuck on the same short end of the stick as we are.

The only way I think I'd feel better if there was another universe containing the remnants of the old canon. It wouldn't be part of the comic anymore, but at least it would still exist to a certain extent.

And lets be completely honest. Do we really want to see the continuation of the mecha Sally arc? Especially with all the drama it's caused with the (dramatic) fanbase? Don't you remember how people on reacted when this arc started? God that was a bad year to be a sonic fan

It's a fictional world, if pretending there's another fictional universe out there helps you sleep at night, then by all means go for it.

• Thumbs Up 1