Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't see the pun as the problem, but the fact that they had to explain it. A good joke needs no explanation :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh, that's just how Sonic Boom's humour is.

Granted, I don't like Sonic Boom's humour, but just calling it as I see it.

I don't see the pun as the problem, but the fact that they had to explain it. A good joke needs no explanation :P

The footnote is the joke :P

• Thumbs Up 1

This crossover honestly feels extremely underwhelming. The original crossover felt great, and felt like it had a lot of love and care placed in to make fans of both series love the crossover. With references, a great story, and everything.

Here, everything just feels so boring, and feels so desperate to try look better than Worlds Collide, but fails. As already said, we're 5 issues in, and we've only just gotten out of the set up part. The arc is so filled with silly plot things to try shock the reader but you know there's no way it's going to have an impact. Team Dark aren't going to be dead. Sega would never allow it, so we know that has no impact. 

The art is much more lackluster than the original, and instead of using the experienced artists that everyone likes doing this artwork, they instead just get a bunch of guest artists, who makes everything look stiff and the characters look off.  

Then there's the main problem. There is no substance to the story whatsoever. The entire thing feels like it's just meant to be a filler arc of battles between characters, to the point where they felt the need to include 2 spin off issues just to show off more battles. But it also leaves us in another bad place. Because of this arc, Mega Man didn't get any time to deal with the aftermath of the Mega Man 3 arc, Wily's supposed death lasted one issue, until Rock found out he's alive once again, and the whole thing just feels like it was slapped in as a quick event to regain money, which honestly wouldn't surprise me, considering Mega Man's hiatus, and Boom's cancellation. 

I wouldn't mind it as much but the majority of battles don't even feel that good, especially since they got these inexperienced artists trying to draw for characters they likely haven't drawn for before, meaning the art comes out looking stiff and overall just doesn't work. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Actually, we're six issues in. We've reached the exact halfway point and know at least a quarter of two more books.

Actually, we're six issues in. We've reached the exact halfway point and know at least a quarter of two more books.

I meant it took 5 issues to get set up taken care of. 6 and a bit if you count the Mega Man/Sonic Battle issues.

To be fair, Rock not even recalling if Wily was alive after the castle fell on him would mean one thing: After Sonic and Mega Man deliver an encore performance of their Super Forms, and bring the worlds back to normal, only Sonic, his friends, Xander Payne, and Sticks, would be the only ones to remember it all. Sticks explaining it would result in her friends laughing, and questioning her sanity.

I suppose this point in the story would be a good place to bring up my main criticism so far:

The hero and villain sides don't feel as balanced this time.

In Worlds Collide, the heroes had a fair number of characters from both franchises, and the villains were the two big bads of the respective franchises, and they were both equally as threatening.

This time around? Well the heroes are still pretty balanced at least. But on the villains side? The soul threat is Sigma, a Mega Man villain. His forces consist of his forces from the games, plus the mind-controlled D6. Sure the 6 are Sonic villains but they're not working alongside Sigma nor of their own accord, they're working under him. In WC, Eggman and Wily worked side-by-side, but here Sigma is the one pulling all of the strings as opposed to, say, having him work with an equally powerful Sonic villain.

• Thumbs Up 9

That's the problem isn't it, from the games the only Sonic villains that are of high prominence and bargaining power are Eggman, and arguably to a lesser extent Nack. the Deadly 6 have essentially the same skillset as Sigma, except Sigma is more of a virus and far more powerful. Nagus and Battle Bird armada are comic  only, so they can't frontline a crossover as main villians

Well, the Battle Bird Armada are from the games. They originated in Tails Adventure. (Nack only had a couple of appearances, too, and I believe only Triple Trouble got a wider, console English release.) The Deadly Six are just more recent; they've also technically only been in one game (okay, okay, there were two versions of Lost World, but semantics...)

And Naugus *did* technically originate from SatAM, so he's not 100% comic-exclusive either (though I get your point). 

Nega would have been a good choice, potentially, too, but Sega seems to still have a weird embargo on him. 

Actually, the Armada would have been a good choice, imo. It would show them as a potential global threat, separate them from Eggman to widen our gallery of villains a bit. They aren't robotic in of themselves (nor do they have significant cybernetics, iirc), so they'd be immune to Sigma's virus, leveling the playing field there. Focus primarily on the Battle Lord, maybe have a few looks at Speedy/etc, and have a sort of grudging version of the partnership from last time but between the BL and Sigma.

At least, I think that'd be interesting. Using the Deadly Six here kinda preempts the LW adaptation (Granted, I'm in zero hurry for that) and kinda makes it seem like the Mega Man series has a wider set of competent villains compared to Sonic, which is an unfair balance in a crossover like this.

(I've not read the most recent issue(s) and still haven't gotten that Battles issue. For the record)

The only other game villain I think would be as powerful as Sigma is not only Sega-restricted, but dead.

Though the latter may not be an issue since time travel plays a role in the story. Sigma could've easily pulled this certain someone out of the time Shadow the Hedgehog happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only other game villain I think would be as powerful as Sigma is not only Sega-restricted, but dead.

Though the latter may not be an issue since time travel plays a role in the story. Sigma could've easily pulled this certain someone out of the time Shadow the Hedgehog happened.

Mephiles would have been an awesome side villain next to Sigma.

personally if it wasn't for the fact that sega likely wouldn't have allowed this to happen I would have liked to see metal sonic/overlord be the sonic baddy to team up with sigma

i mean maybe sigma could have taken control over metal instead of orbot and maybe slowly upgrade it over the story till it looked like a fusion of meta overlord and sigma fused up and maybe instead of trying to fuse up different worlds he could be trying to robotize different worlds for his main goal

(also assuming this did happen i would prefer it not happen while sonic unleased story arch was still going on and the whole sega and Capcom characters showing up thing likely wouldn't have happened)

again this is just my opinion on what I would have liked off the top of my head .so i can't say for sure it would have been a good story idea in the first place and if you guys would like it or not.

personally if it wasn't for the fact that sega likely wouldn't have allowed this to happen I would have liked to see metal sonic/overlord be the sonic baddy to team up with sigma

i mean maybe sigma could have taken control over metal instead of orbot and maybe slowly upgrade it over the story till it looked like a fusion of meta overlord and sigma fused up and maybe instead of trying to fuse up different worlds he could be trying to robotize different worlds for his main goal

(also assuming this did happen i would prefer it not happen while sonic unleased story arch was still going on and the whole sega and Capcom characters showing up thing likely wouldn't have happened)

again this is just my opinion on what I would have liked off the top of my head .so i can't say for sure it would have been a good story idea in the first place and if you guys would like it or not.

That still wouldn't really work. FatPanda's entire point was the villains aren't equals, but rather, are forced to take a backseat to Sigma alone. Having Metal Sonic being controlled wouldn't make a difference because he'd still be Sigma's underling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That still wouldn't really work. FatPanda's entire point was the villains aren't equals, but rather, are forced to take a backseat to Sigma alone. Having Metal Sonic being controlled wouldn't make a difference because he'd still be Sigma's underling.

Still, who says Sigma has to control Metal? Sure, maybe at first Sigma could tap into and reawaken Metal's rebellious side from Sonic Heroes. And Metal's desire in Heroes would go hand in hand with Sigma's ambition. So no controlling would be needed because they'd both, more or less, be working to the same end.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still, who says Sigma has to control Metal? Sure, maybe at first Sigma could tap into and reawaken Metal's rebellious side from Sonic Heroes. And Metal's desire in Heroes would go hand in hand with Sigma's ambition. So no controlling would be needed because they'd both, more or less, be working to the same end.

Yeah, but I still can't help but feel Sigma's the type of character who'd place a fail safe or something in order Metal Sonic would be unable to betray him. I mean, he did so for the Deadly Six, and while he might not use it, he'd still seem like the type of character to do that.

I miss Metal Sonic/Bass though >.>

Yeah, but I still can't help but feel Sigma's the type of character who'd place a fail safe or something in order Metal Sonic would be unable to betray him. I mean, he did so for the Deadly Six, and while he might not use it, he'd still seem like the type of character to do that.

I miss Metal Sonic/Bass though >.>

Actually, considering Eggman eventually did a lot of underhanded stuff behind Wily's back in WC, it would've been interesting if just that happened in a sort of reverse of the former in WU.

• Thumbs Up 7

I kinda wish Lyric was available for Worlds Unite. He'd be the perfect partner for Sigma! Both control robots, but Sigma couldn't take command of Lyric since he's a cyborg instead of full-on machine. In turn, Lyric couldn't hijack Sigma because Boom!Eggman took his control device.

It would also be appropriate to have the two Big Bads be from Boom and X, since the ones for Worlds Collide were from Sonic and Mega Man. At the very least it would give better justification to include Sticks, Comedy Chimp, and Fastidious Beaver.

Sigma would be lethal to Lyric. Remember back to Regina and Lien-Da? Regina couldn't control Lien-da's body through her internal cybernetics, but she could activate the bombs inside to blow up. Now replace that with Lyric's entire means of living, control his arms (which are mechanical) to destroy its function, and you've got yourself one dead snake.

But Sigma doesn't directly control robotics. He infects them with a Sigma virus making them loyal to him and makes them go maverick doesn't he? There'd be no way he could go ahead and take control of Lyric isn't there?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm.....their aren't really any Sonic series villains that match up to Sigma is their?

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the idea of Neo Metal Sonic teaming with Sigma.  Maybe Metal finds a way of stopping Sigma from controlling him and the two make a deal.  It would sort of make a foil to the bromance of Wily and Eggman with something more tense and antagonistic in their relationship and I kind of like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

But the issue is what SEGA would allow.

I don't think they want Metal Sonic rebelling again andģor becoming Metal Overlord outside of Heroes flashbacks due to mandate.

They dont want Black Doom back to undo ShTH's ending, hence Black Death's creation.

They absolutely dont want overt 06 references so Mephiles/Solarius is out. A few loose mentions of Soleanna is probably all we are gonna get at best.

Nega is still a can of issues that SEGA is picky about despite finally finalizing his history.

And I think we dont have confirmation on whether the Battle Birds (or Wendy Witchcraft & her crew) are approved for the book.

Edited by biznizz

Wendy is, going by how much Ian's been hinting at her and how SEGA was fine with "Sky Patrol" being used

They seemed fine with Solaris and Mephiles in the Encyclopedia, but things've changed since, dunno.

Battle Birds' reappearance is probably just dependent on finding a good schedule for them