Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Well that's different. One page of each of the six mini-stories. 

Some notes;

-How can Sticks be in Street Fighter and Monster Hunter simultaneously?

-Huh, new move for Rotor. The drill run is something Knuckles and Rouge have as well, isn't it?

-Dinorex appears to be having a domestic dispute, and yet he's still the closest to succeeding so far.

-Shadow Man appears to be perpetually unamused.

Drill Claw for Knux, Drill Kick for Rouge.

Given theirs don't create water tornadoes, I think Rotor has the better one.

Yeah basically chapter 10 is chapter 9 but with different worlds.

I don't understand this. There's only two chapters of the crossover left and it feels like very little has been done as a whole. It has been the same damn thing in almost every chapter now. And even now, where things are supposed to finally pick up, nothing has picked up. There's still very little interaction, the main factor that made Worlds Collide for me, and nothing but battles, the same repetitive thing we've had this entire crossover. And now it's made even worse because they're doing the exact same kind of battle every two pages!

Where's the fun? Where's the inside jokes? Or the character development? Or anything that doesn't involve battling Mavericks every two seconds? Why is Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver even here? Or Cream? They've done absolutely nothing. At least Sticks has been going around doing things even if it hasn't been that much. Why has the art been so inconsistent? What happened here? It felt like everyone did something important in Worlds Collide. The art was spot on in every chapter. The interaction was amazing and hilarious. They kept you on your toes and didn't waste entire chapters doing exactly what they did in the last chapter. Something new always happened and everyone had a hand in saving the worlds. No one was there just to be there.

I didn't expect this to be better than Worlds Collide. I expected this crossover to be good. And, in my opinion, it hasn't.

I hate to be this negative and bring this up again but this crossover really has turned into a massive disappointment. At the very least when I brought this up last time there was still some hope that could be had. I'm not even hyped for chapters 11 and 12 now which is saddening considering that's supposed to be the finale. But it's even MORE battles just with the inevitable superforms. It just feels so half-assed and I don't like that at all in my opinion. There was so much potential. What a waste.

Oh well.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 8

Drill Rush, oh so Rotor copied NiGHTS then, lol

Oh my bad, NiGHTS version is the Drill Dash, not Drill Rush, haha.

but yeah, this is just really rushed with the character recruitment, this really should've been more than just 3 Parts.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

My question is, what really happened that made this turn out so lackluster. Was it rushed? I mean, felt like it was too early for a sequel, anyway, but was the story rush? They on a budget? Did all the characters being thrown in at once just forced them into a wall?

Just seems like something did this. Really hope the follow up Sonic stories are better

Edited by WittyUsername

My question is, what really happened that made this turn out so lackluster. Was it rushed? I mean, felt like it was too early for a sequel, anyway, but was the story rush? They on a budget? Did all the characters being thrown in at once just forced them into a wall?

Just seems like something did this. Really hope the follow up Sonic stories are better

A few of the issues can go to editorial interfering. I think I remember hearing the previous editor was the one behind stuff like the guest artists and Team Dark's supposed death.

I still feel that Worlds Unite would have been better off with involving just the Sonic and Mega Man series. This attempt at "SEGA vs. Capcom" isn't really doing them any good in terms of story.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still feel that Worlds Unite would have been better off with involving just the Sonic and Mega Man series. This attempt at "SEGA vs. Capcom" isn't really doing them any good in terms of story.

I still think it would have flopped. The art would have still been lackluster, and the story would have still been basically a bunch of battles with no care being placed in them. Basically, here's what the entire thing has been.

Act 1: A bunch of set ups 

Act 2: A bunch of badly drawn battles

Act 3 (so far): More battles, just with a fetch quest thrown in.

Part of the problem appears to be the terms agreed on for the non-Sonic.Mega Man cast appearing. Chun-Li was shadowed out in parts 6 and 7 because Capcom (or Archie depending on how finance-driven the negotiation was) didn't want her appearing then, they'd only allowed for part 8 onwards. Same with SEGA's side, presumably. This would have at least somewhat forced to narrative to go a certain way to allow the guests to have an increased importance. Without them, the narrative could have played less rigid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look on the bright side, guys. With the poor reception this crossover is getting, Ian probably won't be forced to write another Mega Man/Sonic arc again, thus never having to halt the actual comic for another crossover.

My theory is that Capcom & SEGA saw how well WC did, wanted another one, and Archie jumped at the chance to do so. But bigger. Kaminski probably wasn't the sole reason for this, but he probably mediated and (did) add his own ideas to the mix.

Look on the bright side, guys. With the poor reception this crossover is getting, Ian probably won't be forced to write another Mega Man/Sonic arc again, thus never having to halt the actual comic for another crossover.

Corporate logic would probably say that "Oh, the big event didn't do so well. Let's probably NOT bring Mega Man back from its hiatus after all. Surely, this is a sign that the book isn't doing well at all. Welp, we got an animated series coming up anyways, so it balances out. Hell, Warner Bros seems to be doing well when they cancelled two of their superhero shows and brought in a new one which is 'hip' and 'now'. Teen... Titans Go, right? Well, we'll be sure to make it just was WACKY as that show, since it seems to be racking in the cash if all those multi-hour blocks of programming are any indication!"

Excuse me for the rant. I just freaking hate TTG.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I mean, on the other side of them, Sega did the same thing and it's been successful but also really good, so it's not like it can't turn out well, it just probably won't.

Excuse me for the rant. I just freaking hate TTG.

Join the club. I fucking hate it as well.

Sega and Capcom probably wouldn't care about the critical response, and rather look at sales figures, which shows an increase in sales during the crossover, which was shown a few pages back.

I do suspect that a lot of how Worlds Unite has turned out has been down to editorial influence and mandates.  The fact that they had to have spin-offs to fit in even more battles suggests to me that somebody high up ordered that the storyline have more battles in it, which squeezes out a lot of character interaction.  I think it was confirmed, also, that Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver had to be brought in to up the Boom cast representation because Sega didn't want the Boom versions of the main cast to meet the Archie versions or something like that?  The non-Sonic/MegaMan worlds being restricted to Act 3 we also know was mandated.  I think Ian Flynn was probably put under a lot of constraints, including having to write a new crossover so soon at all, and the storyline as it stands is simply the best he could salvage from not having much time nor much creative freedom.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can this end already, I've never been so bored by this crossover before, which makes the fact that its worse tha World's Collide even worse.

I have to agree that this crossover just hasn't been anywhere near as engaging as Worlds Collide was,  which is sad. Though now it gets me wondering:

If we got another crossover (it doesn't even necessarily need to be Sonic & Mega Man) sometime in the future (and by that, I mean no sooner than 5 years) how do you think people will react? Would they still look forward to seeing it, or would the disappointment of Worlds Unite cause doubt in people's minds?

I'll buy the comics of the Crossover, just to be disappointed that Eggman and Wily decided to go with the Egg Wily Machine X-2!

Eggman and Wily have been quite neglected this go around, haven't they.

Pretty much. Basically, they've been treated only as plot devices and to recap the previous crossover. Other than that they serve no purpose really.

Then again, to be fair, every other character in the crossover has no purpose other than to star in stiff battle scenes so I guess in that regard, Eggman and Wily fit

• Thumbs Up 1

WC should've been a game. Hear me out on this. All this pointless fighting would've had a clear purpose as a fighting game, the set up is sound for one I might add. Archie just made a fighting game in the comic and in comic form is SUCKS. :C  The biggest thing I think ruined the arc was the lack luster art and all those characters being build up. Honestly it's too full OR it's too short. This should've been a massive event spanning over the normal 12 issues. WAIT remember it was supposed to be longer? What happened to that idea? I really think some major time changes fucked this massive idea into a normal idea. You don't promote Sega vs Capcom into a normal idea and expect it to work. :c 

My big question is how is Ian taking this? Surely the massive disappointment from the fans must be getting to him if what I mentioned was true, and there was an extreme change in the panning department of this crossover. :c

WC should've been a game. Hear me out on this. All this pointless fighting would've had a clear purpose as a fighting game, the set up is sound for one I might add. Archie just made a fighting game in the comic and in comic form is SUCKS. :C  The biggest thing I think ruined the arc was the lack luster art and all those characters being build up. Honestly it's too full OR it's too short. This should've been a massive event spanning over the normal 12 issues. WAIT remember it was supposed to be longer? What happened to that idea? I really think some major time changes fucked this massive idea into a normal idea. You don't promote Sega vs Capcom into a normal idea and expect it to work. :c 

My big question is how is Ian taking this? Surely the massive disappointment from the fans must be getting to him if what I mentioned was true, and there was an extreme change in the panning department of this crossover. :c

Being fair, Ian isn't really to blame in some of the problems with the arc. Some of them were either editorial ideas forced on him, or Sega/Capcom being idiots. For example, we know the previous editor was the one to suggest guest artists and having silly things like Team Dark's death, despite the fact it's painfully clear that they didn't die, and even Ian confirmed that they couldn't kill them off.

Sega and Capcom are clearly behind some pacing issues and some of the stupid characters, since they wouldn't allow any other characters to appear until Part 8, which meant it was too little too late to introduce the Sega/Capcom characters, and we know Sega are behind not allowing the Boom cast into the crossover, with the regular cast, which is why they forced Fastidious Beaver, and Comedy Chimp into the crossover.

That said, Ian is to blane for some of the story problems as well though, stuff like the unbelievably amount of build up, and the fact that every single time Eggman and Wily are seen, they keep recaping their plan, among other issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno if I can even blame the sheer amount of build-up on Ian either, at least not fully. Its execution could be better, but ultimately he had to put the heroes in a situation where they had to go to the other franchises to take down Sigma, and since they were reserved for the last act the rest of the time is going to be largely build up to that. 

The problem that this presents is that now we know that part 10 is following the same format as part 9, and Sonic and Mega Man go super in the last issue to sort things out, the build-up will have a payoff of maybe 1.5 issues at most. For a 12-issue crossover with so many players in it, that's pretty awful. In Worlds Collide, we got 3-4 issues of payoff, with the others allowed to get plenty of service in while Sonic and Mega Man went off to see to Eggman and Wily.

• Thumbs Up 2

From the sounds of it, it seems like they weren't allowed to have the SEGA and Capcom characters appear earlier, no idea why through, but I'm gonna assume that's the blame of SEGA, or possibly both SEGa and Capcom, but I don't think Capcom are as stingy as Sega is.

Hmm I hope I didn't sound like I was blaming Ian. I really am not, I'm blaming all of Sega and Capcom here. This should've been a flat out game, then there would've been no dumb planning moves, just all these characters kicking butt. But being in a comic, it suffers hugely cause of the odd issues Sega and Capcom are asking/putting on Ian.  I will say this tho, it's too big for 12 issues. If what was rumored was true way back when that it was posed to be 24 issues. Then we could've have something this big. But it being only 12.... way to big for only 12. :c Which I don't know who to blame on that one. I just feel sorry for Ian cause I can only think this is souring him on the crossover. T.T

I agree that this would've worked MUCH better as a videogame. SEGA vs Capcom would be an awesome concept for a videogame (it already sort of exists in Project X Zone) but in comic book format with panels upon panels of ACTION and EXPLOSIONS it just doesn't work. Worlds Collide was so good because there were equal amounts of action and scenes where characters interact and stuff, but Worlds Unite is mostly just action and fighting. I knew this crossover wasn't going to as good after hearing that more franchises were gonna be involved but this is ridiculous. I hope this puts an end to any crossovers in the future.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of Deus Ex Machina where Team Dark suddenly pop up at the end to save the day. I'm calling it.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I can't say that I dislike this crossover per say, I'm in definite agreement when I say that I can't wait for the comics to get back on track.