Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Maybe this Eggman arc will be the beginning of another trilogy, of sorts, similar to how "Shadow Fall" kicked off the Dark Trilogy. I'm mostly intrigued by what Snivley had planned for the Master Emerald and the ARK before Knuckles shattered the ME, and he's been a very quiet figure for one of the returning characters in this continuity, so there's got to be something big happening for him at some point.

Also nice to see that the Witchcarters will be another antagonistic force, and they'll be going up against Eggman as well. I'm really happy to see Naugus finally back in action.

Maybe this Eggman arc will be the beginning of another trilogy.

It could be but with what character?? The first part of the last one was Knuckles then the second one was Shadow and the third one was both of them and that made sense because they both are fighting (fandom wise) for the part of Sonic's rival. But Dr. Eggman is Sonic's only villain. And even if they get like Snivley if it's to be a trilogy they have to make a 4 part story about him and he works for G.U.N. and I don't think even if anyone wanted to read a 4 part story about G.U.N. they could write a 4 part story for G.U.N..

All Hail EGGMAN! May you always be a badass of a villain.

And it's about time we see who the other Egg Bosses are.

Also, read #276 a while back and forgot to comment, but it looks like they're kinda speeding up the pace for certain regions.

Individuals who work for Eggman, but likely wouldn't fall under his Egg Army team;

-Metal Sonic; Eggman's most reliable soldier, but he seems to be ranks above the Egg Bosses. Throw Orbot and Cubot in there for that and the fact they're pathetic in combat.

-Phage; A virus who wants to serve Eggman for her own ends...but doesn't particularly strike me as a boss.

-Cassia; If the pre-reboot ranks were still in effect, I'd sooner call Cassia a Kommissar before a Grandmaster.

-Eggman; On the one hand, him being the leader of the leaders would be fitting. On the other hand, this would put him on even ground with his Egg Bosses, and why would he want that? Plus it's Eggman's Dozen, not The Eggman Dozen. 

Individuals who are definitely Egg Bosses no questions asked;

-Tundra; We just saw him.

-Clove; We'll also see her in a month.

-Nephthys; We'll see her in two months. 

-Axel; Will be seen in the concurrent Sonic comic to this.

-Thunderbolt; Already had an arc.

-Akhlut; Mentioned in the Waves of Change arc.

-Mordred; He's here too in case you forgot.

So depending on what the classification of the team is, we may have a maximum of five individuals that are currently unknown to us set to debut here.

Maybe, but Cassia was established as a Co-Egg Boss. Now, it would make sense for her to be of a lower rank than Clove given that she's her younger sister, but I think her being a co-leader alongside Clove would put her in the rank of Egg Boss with the others. And then there's the guy Bunnie knocked out during the early reboot who seemed to be in charge of the Metropolis Zone when seen. So if anything, I'd find five to be too optimistic and lower it down to three.

To make it easier to establish, I'm going to use the locations in Sonic Unleashed to establish who might run or be near which region:

Mazuri - Axel?

• In the Pre-Genesis Wave setting, Mazuri was in Efrika. Unless it's location has changed, it looks to still be the case here

Holoska - Tundra

Shamar - Nephthys

Chun-nan - ???

• (I'm hoping it's Conquering Storm, as that's the perfect place for her to be brought back. But I won't be too surprised if she isn't)

Adabat - ???

• (possibly no one, but if the writers are paying strict attention to the geography in Unleashed where Adabat is near the same continent as Chun-nan, they might make the Egg Boss who operates near Chun-nan do double on Adabat)

Spagonia - Mordred Hood?

• (Now for the record, I know Mordred specifically runs Avalon, not Spagonia. I say Mordred Hood is the nearest Egg Boss to the city than being an Egg Boss of Spagonia, because Spagonia is said to be part of the United Federation, which would definitely be heavily defended. And given how their carrier just strolled near Mordred's base, they might be nearby.)

Apotos - Mordred Hood?

• (Same as Spagonia in being the nearest Egg Boss. Given that Spagonia is, in the games at least, located on the same landmass as Spagonia, Mordred would have to be the nearest Egg Boss like he would for Spagonia. I might be wrong for either of them tho)

Empire City - Mordred Hood?

• (Now this is where things get awkward - in the games, Empire City is on a completely different continent, while here in the comics, it's said to be on Eurish as Apotos and Spagonia. I suppose that was to keep as many human territories as close as possible within the reach of the United Federation, but it's whatever- not a big deal. In fact, it's understandable if they want as many diverse locations from the other for each specific Egg Boss to be in rather than have the Unleashed locations hog the Egg Bosses. Plus, it would be better if it was left alone given not only it's likely heavy GUN presence, but with Breezie being there)

So now that just leaves us with the Non-Unleashed Locations:

Soumerca - Thunderbolt

Great Blue Realm (aka the Oceans) - Akhlut

Now aside from having 3 Egg Bosses left to be revealed (5 if we're being optimistic), all that leaves is where Cassia and Clove run, the Metropolis Zone Egg Boss being named. And you know, it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume Phage is an Egg Boss and claim Cyberspace as a region, which would lower the count to 2-4 Egg Bosses. But that's to be revealed.

EDIT - Just thought of something. What if there's the off chance of Snively being a double agent for Eggman while he's working under GUN's watch? I mean, it's probably unlikely given that he seems to have his own goals in mind, but I figure we keep our minds open just to be safe.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 4

And here I thought the next SU story would just be Amy and Knuckles facing the Naugus'.  It's kind of nice to be wrong every now and again :P 

It could be but with what character?? The first part of the last one was Knuckles then the second one was Shadow and the third one was both of them and that made sense because they both are fighting (fandom wise) for the part of Sonic's rival. But Dr. Eggman is Sonic's only villain. And even if they get like Snivley if it's to be a trilogy they have to make a 4 part story about him and he works for G.U.N. and I don't think even if anyone wanted to read a 4 part story about G.U.N. they could write a 4 part story for G.U.N..

It's only speculation. They could do a longer storyline broken up into smaller arcs like the Dark Trilogy, and even how the current on-going has been going.

I don't see why Snivley couldn't get a storyline for his time at GUN, especially if it leads to a big betrayal and either him defecting back to Eggman or trying to break out on his own (again). Tower obviously doesn't trust him, and has been keeping him on a very short leash because of that, but Snivley's still been plotting in the background, so he's the most likely candidate. And it'd potentially be a nice showing for Team Dark as well.

Now, whether Archie actually plans on doing back-to-back villain storylines is another matter. I'd support it, at the very least.

Maybe, but Cassia was established as a Co-Egg Boss. Now, it would make sense for her to be of a lower rank than Clove given that she's her younger sister, but I think her being a co-leader alongside Clove would put her in the rank of Egg Boss with the others. And then there's the guy Bunnie knocked out during the early reboot who seemed to be in charge of the Metropolis Zone when seen. So if anything, I'd find five to be too optimistic and lower it down to three.

EDIT - Just thought of something. What if there's the off chance of Snively being a double agent for Eggman while he's working under GUN's watch? I mean, it's probably unlikely given that he seems to have his own goals in mind, but I figure we keep our minds open just to be safe.

Just going to reply in bulk because separating is awful on this new reply system.

1.  While I do see where you're coming from, I have to note that in #263, Eggman's communication only ever went to Clove, Cassia was kept quiet while she was talking to him. If she were an Egg Boss, would he not want to speak to both of them?

2. That guy in Metropolis is definitely not an Egg Boss. Ian has gone on record to say that he was just a random mook, not important. It's why he's still only known as Tassel Boy as opposed to a proper name. 

3. I would say it's unlikely, mostly because I don't think that's the direction they're taking with him. At least, if he was, Eggman should have been able to get around GUN easier as opposed to gunning it.

I'm not really hype for idea of SU story for Knuckles and Amy. It seems like the games of the past few years have been painting their relationship as "Knuckles acts like an idiot and Amy goes out of her way to tell him he is one/bullies him" (The Champions arc was nice change of pace thought).

I think a Knuckles and Amy story will be reserved for a second story in the main comic, maybe over a couple of parts. Right now they're doing a 10-10 format for their stories so it'd be easy to fit in. 

Well, I still have yet to actually read WU and don't have the latest Sonic issue.. but I read the solicits for December. Am I the only one sad that the Super Special Magazine is gone? I liked the shiny covers, and the big size of it. Plus, the interviews with the artists were very interesting bonus features. I honestly hope it comes back one day, even if under a new form. I checked Archie's store and they have the section for the magazine taken down, so that's further confirmation that it's over. I'm curious though, did we ever get sales figures for it? Because it seemed popular enough when I visited America around 2 years ago. It was during the time the 20th anniversary issue came out. I saw it sold at many places, and Barnes and Noble even had it on the spotlight in some summer reading section near the store entrance. The digest was actually harder to find, as I saw it only sold in one comic book store. 

Anyway, that Eggman arc looks rather exciting. When I first started reading the Sonic comics, Universe was having the Scrambled story arc, but at the time I couldn't get both Sonic and Universe. So this is going to be the first Eggman arc I read. I must say though, the more the new stories progress, the more they are starting to remind me of the comics pre-reboot what with all the characters returning and such. It's a rather exciting time for the comics, but I'm still sad that Archie Action is now basically reduced to just Sonic. :L It feels so much more bare and empty now. 

It's only speculation. They could do a longer storyline broken up into smaller arcs like the Dark Trilogy, and even how the current on-going has been going.

I don't see why Snivley couldn't get a storyline for his time at GUN, especially if it leads to a big betrayal and either him defecting back to Eggman or trying to break out on his own (again). Tower obviously doesn't trust him, and has been keeping him on a very short leash because of that, but Snivley's still been plotting in the background, so he's the most likely candidate. And it'd potentially be a nice showing for Team Dark as well.

Now, whether Archie actually plans on doing back-to-back villain storylines is another matter. I'd support it, at the very least.

If it happened, then it's safe to say Snively won't be the one actually headlining said arc, since he's not a Sega character.

I got the issue today. Having shorter, self-contained stories is honestly really nice in some ways, though there are downsides, obviously. Still, the first story was fun, cute, and had really nice artwork. It was simple, but certainly enjoyable for me. Tundra was fine, though nothing about him struck me as especially interesting...hopefully they'll manage to make him non-cliched in future stories. I liked the humans a lot. One downside I noticed in the artwork is that the Egg Soldiers didn't look look Sonic-stylized enough - they were too close to typical anthropomorphic animals.

The second story...well, first I'd like to say that while I really love Evan Stanley's artwork in a lot of ways, especially her male hedgehogs (no surprise considering the practice she got from her fan comic!), I don't think her humans are as good, so having her draw a story starring Dr. Eggman may not have been the best choice IMO. The artwork wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. But the story itself was good; it was really interesting to see Robotnik's interactions with his robots and such, and good job setting up anticipation for the SU arc. Naugus' design looks rather nice and Sonic-y to me with those tufts of hair/fur on the sides of his head.

Overall, enjoyable read! Kinda too bad there weren't many Sega Sonic characters in it other than Sonic, Eggman, Orbot & Cubot, the Unleashed characters, and badniks. Having no Tails, Knuckles, Amy, etc. feels a little weird.

I liked the new issue, but if I did have one big issue with the issue.

I don't think Rotor and Tundra got enough focus. Like it's literally just one page of Rotor and Tundra ranting at one another about the path they each chose and then Rotor being sad for a few pages. I mean I understand that it couldn't all be there in one issue, but with a story that's supposedly focusing on Rotor and his finding about about Tundra being his father, I'm really disappointed that there wasn't more focus.

I mean for one, why the fuck didn't Rotor retaliate when his father told him "that he was still hiding behind his little toys" when Tundra was A. Hiding behind Eggman, B. Hiding behind a bunch of Egg Army lackeys, and C. Allowed himself to get robotized parts just to become a part of the egg army, For someone who supposedly hates technology so much, you'd think Rotor would have called him on the fact he now was using technology and had even become a cyborg.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah, and Ian's confirmed that there are five unknown Egg Bosses. 

Man, am I so glad I was wrong thinking we had only three. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

The cancellation of Super Special Magazine must have been a last minute deal, considering Sonic Boom #11 still advertises that new Boom stories will be in both the Digest and Super Special Magazine.

If the Super Special is done, does that mean we will have more focus on new material like short stories and articles? There's no justification in buying the digests when all they are are reprints of very recent issues and one new 6 page story in the front.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it happened, then it's safe to say Snively won't be the one actually headlining said arc, since he's not a Sega character.

Didn't Nicole just recently have her own arc?

Didn't Nicole just recently have her own arc?

True, but at least she had support from Tails and Big, right? I wonder what kind of support Snivley would have.

True, but at least she had support from Tails and Big, right? I wonder what kind of support Snivley would have.

Rouge, and Omega perhaps? He could dupe the Chaotix

I get the Rouge and Omega part, but why would Snively, government scientist and world-dominator wannabe, bother himself with a small time detective agency? 

I get the Rouge and Omega part, but why would Snively, government scientist and world-dominator wannabe, bother himself with a small time detective agency? 

A small time agency that has a nose for big conspiracies and create a big distraction, or get hired by GUN as an outside investigator to explore a breach in security, finding out Snively's plot, and telling the whole scheme from their perspective, like a well detective show, the whole "This is who infiltrated GUN, and how they did it"

I could imagine a Scrambled type of story where Snively decides to go after the emerald shards for himself and ends up being hunted down by the team of Amy and Knuckles.

If Snivley were to get an arc, my first thought is naturally that Team Dark would feature pretty heavily. Probably first as support for Snivley until he inevitably does something that sets them against him. They're definitely not at all aware of his motives, so they would be the best fit, and from a marketing standpoint, are probably bigger headliners compared to Tails and Big.

Nah, this won't be the regular norm for too long.  Once we reach the big, Dark Gaia/Final Boss story I think we'll return to full length stories.  This new arrangement is meant to do the world building at a quicker rate and get things done at a quicker rate as well.  That kind of snappy "Get it done" kind of approach gives me an idea as what Sonic himself would be like as Editor, especially since his whole personality was based off of Clinton's "Get it done" mantra :P

Maybe if they didnt waste 3 months on a shitty corssover this wouldnt have happened :P 

• Thumbs Up 5

Like many are saying, Team Dark is likely. Eggman is another likely candidate but probably less so now he's with GUN. Both Team Dark and Eggman have (or are currently) involved with Universes, so probably want to hold off a Snivley story for a while. Unless there's a way to get an odd pairing with Snivley and someone else, which would be pretty interesting.