Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Ey? It's in Archives #22.

Woops... I just checked and you're right. I'd edit my post but it's a bit late now.

Honestly, I haven't been buying the Sonic Archives for the most part. Rather, since I'm collecting digitally I've been buying individual issues and I find it's easier to navigate that way. Besides, there's something appealing about having a folder filled with hundreds of individually numbered PDFs - all the visceral quality of collecting comic books without having to find a place to store massive quantities of paper.

I'd do the same for all print media but with current technology I still prefer physical books to eBooks like Kindle. Its chore and sometimes even a strain to read digital books, all that tiny print on a screen. Yet I don't have the same problem with comic books. Maybe it's the bigger print and the fact that most of the space is taken up by large and colourful pictures, the experience of reading a comic book doesn't diminish when it's digitised.

17 hours ago, chaosjam said:

Just to add to SBR's post, here are more comments from Ian:

That's what a lot of people who like to throw sales figures on here and act like it's the end of the world.  It's not.  And from Ian's comments, it looks like no one at Archie has need to worry.  Looks like they are hard at work like any other comic company doing their best to put out stories people enjoy.

The numbers may have fluctuated since "savor" Penders was running the show but we all know that times have changed and numbers don't exactly mean what they used to in the past (for any company).  Also like Ian mentions, there are many different books that make up Sonic now-a-days.  Instead of one we have two strong series and multiple offshoots.  Split the numbers from the late 90's/early 2000's for one book between the number of series we have now and it looks even worse that what StH alone is producing.  There are more avenues for stories now.

Also good to see subscriptions are on the rise too.

Also if Sonic is failing than Uncle Scrooge must be a complete failure because it sold even less that Sonic on that list this guy brought up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just went to get the new stuff from Forbidden Planet and, for some reason, they gave me the new Universe plus the standard 287 cover that was missing last month.

Odd, that's what my FP gave me with my SU#93 variants...even though I did get that months ago. Plus I got given StH#286 with SU#92. 

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

I just went to get the new stuff from Forbidden Planet and, for some reason, they gave me the new Universe plus the standard 287 cover that was missing last month.

Yeah, they finally shipped out my copy of #287 as well, along with SU #92 and TMNT #65.

14 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

That game came a full 20+ years when continuity had been much more heavily established, dude. People already had things set prior to Sonic 4 -- which a number of folks would rather not acknowledge anyway given their views on it.

All I'm saying is that it came after S3&K, which had Tails, but didn't have Tails itself. So Tails can conceivably sit out an adventure or two.

11 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

All I'm saying is that it came after S3&K, which had Tails, but didn't have Tails itself. So Tails can conceivably sit out an adventure or two.

Then you're going off the subject. We were on about Sonic CD chronological placement and Tails being absent in it being a point in why people place it before Sonic 2, not if it's conceivable for him to sit out.

I know what we're on about; I'm saying that just because Tails is absent doesn't necessarily mean it took place before Sonic 2.

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I know what we're on about; I'm saying that just because Tails is absent doesn't necessarily mean it took place before Sonic 2.

Then try convincing those who think it's much better placed before Sonic 2 for that reason among others. People have had the continuity set, and simply bringing up Tails's absence in Sonic 4 which came out a full 20 years later is hardly convincing.

Okay then, how about this: while we can argue back and forth on where the SEGA version of Sonic CD happens (Sega doesn't even seem to know or care), the Nu252 version of CD absolutely can't take place between 1 and 2 for two reasons.

1. As I previously mentioned, the "The Story So Far..." opening of Sonic Mega Drive lists the order of events as 1 > 2 > 3K > CD.

Issue 288 shows the ending of Sonic 1 then Sonic meeting up with Tails and the Freedom Fighters on Westside Island who then start the Nu252's version of Sonic 2

Thinking about it, there a lot of stuff between Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 1 in the Nu252.  The Game Gear games, Sonic CD, meeting Lupe and Dulcy, Mega Drive, and probably Sonic 4.  I wonder in what order it all takes place?

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. While I've no interest in convincing people clinging to a decades-old timeline of five games otherwise, I'm arguing in favor of why the comics can interpret the games that way -- or anyone else who wants to bother, for that matter.

Yes, and those are details we already knew about the comic anyway given it already plays with the game's events with a different twist as it is.

But that wasn't what the conversation was over. No one said or implied how or why the comics can interpret the events differently, especially given how early during the reboot people were defending the comics doing just that for the Unleashed adaptation when others were flipping shit over things being different.

It was questioned why people placed CD before 2 because it somehow didn't make sense, and the simple answer was partially because Tails was absent in it and since Sonic 2 continues directly into 3&K (along with CD being released in between the two rather than before or after them together) it made more sense for people to put CD before Sonic 2 instead of after 3&K. That's not hard to understand whether you personally see it that way or not, and that was really all there was to that response.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't sega in old interviews said cd takes place before 2 or is this one of those fan theorists that arises from no where.  also what's universe 100 going to be about I wonder

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Haven't sega in old interviews said cd takes place before 2 or is this one of those fan theorists that arises from no where.  also what's universe 100 going to be about I wonder

I don't really know of any interviews detailing where CD is chronologically placed, so unless someone can find that source this seems more like it was done by the fandom than anything official.

IMG_7930.JPG

Archie have been using their current covers to advertise the "Riverdale" TV series. And it turns out the Sonic titles are not exempt from this practice.

• Thumbs Up 6

Wait, they're advertising the new Archie show...on Sonic covers?

That is irritating and unbelievably tacky.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, good they're taking a page from DC. No seriously DC does this too and it looks just as awful. It doesn't help that this Grim serious Greg Berlanti adaptation clashes horribly with this cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

IMG_7930.JPG

Archie have been using their current covers to advertise the "Riverdale" TV series. And it turns out the Sonic titles are not exempt from this practice.

Yeah, it just feels wrong.

On the brighter topic, you know what I really like about Pirate Princess' covers? They don't spoil you a thing. "This story has Chaotix and Pirates". Boom everything you need to get interested in a story, and stuff you could get that from issue 1, or even by looking at the first cover. No reveling Eggman's secret weapon like Eggman Dozen or the ending like Total Eclipse.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I guess this 'cross-promotion' will be affecting Sonic the Hedgehog as well. Which will probably be on the cover of #291 or #292. Something to look forward to I suppose.

Just how much does Archie have ridding on Riverdale's success if they're willing to do this to their own comics? For what it's worth I feel that I'm less likely to watch Riverdale after seeing this cover, if only to spite Archie over what they've done here. Petty I know but that's the kind of visceral reaction I get when I see that cover.

Anyway, the Pirate Princess arc looks fun. I look forward to reading it when I eventually catch-up.

Have you guys seen first Sonic Boom episode written by Flynn? I wrote my thought on the cartoon's topic, but I gotta say, I'm surprised how good it was.

Spoiler

(Accidental spoiler tab please ignore).

Yeah, it was really nice, he's written one more episode though so I'm looking forward to what that is all about!

On the topic of promotion on covers, yeah that's gonna ruin the cover, there are covers that can be good at times art wise so having an ad in front would be really annoying. They should have put it somewhere in the pages like how other ads do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, that ruins the cover a great deal. It just completely contrasts against all of the bright colours and makes things completely inconsistent on the cover itself, such as the side bar being full blue, as expected but the top part with the part of the story arc being pure black due to being part of the advertisement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Y3t1gu.jpg

God dammit

Go away Archie, you're drunk.  You're just ruining one of Spaz's best covers.

• Thumbs Up 1