Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I like this Robotnik, he apparently doesn't hit Snively and tends to forget his plans, but can still boss the little guy around. More cognitive dissonance for Needlenose.

If it takes beating the ugly off of Robotnik a week wouldn't beating the ugly off of Sonic take oh....20 years?

Oh yeah, I went there, Sonic fans. You can't catch meeeee. tongue.png

Yes, lets have Sally over encumber yet another role that is better suited for other characters.

Why read the comic if it has a main character that you don't like?

Just do what any other sonic game fan does and ingore it.

It's based of Sonic SATAM a show that you don't care for why keep reading it?

• Thumbs Up 4

Why read the comic if it has a main character that you don't like?

Just do what any other sonic game fan does and ingore it.

It's based of Sonic SATAM a show that you don't care for why keep reading it?

Ian's still writing Sally as though Robotnik were the head of a giant empire... Nope, he's running a one man show here, to say nothing of her still bizarrely dark phraseology.

high-bypass turbofan

Late August/Early September Opinions on The Sonic The Hedgehog Comic Book and Franchise

Topics discussed:

Genesis so far

What the outcome could be

Ian Flynn throwing a curveball at the end

and Much More

Knuckles Archive? I bought that the other day. Quite Good really, though Enerjak's mouth really looks like a birds.

I got Knuckles Archives Vol 1 in the mail about a week ago. Nothing particularly special as far as special features go, but the stories still hold up well.

But he wrote the Knuckles series... I know he's a lawsuit troll. But he wrote the series.

Yeah so. I don't care. I lost any respect for him when he went crazy and pulled this copyright crap.

A review of a couple of issues of archie from someone who used to only ever read Fleetways STC Part 2.

Following SOS, I was able to get a few archie comic issues which take place during the concert... the whole "She's everywhere! In everything!" song that makes AI girl have a breakdown and run away, right up until Sally gets turned into swiss cheese. Since then I've managed to find Genesis part 1 and 2.

So the last time I decided to write a review about an Archie Sonic comic I pointed out how I couldn't understand why people say "Archie has better art than fleetway" when it becomes plain as day that the majority of the artistic tallent is put on the characters and little to nothing is put on the backgrounds or scenery in which they are actually living in.

"Hey" Said Sonic, "Lets fight robotnik in this green room whilst the readers admire every individually drawn fur on my body!" Would be an accurate description. Reading the one with the rock concert I couldn't help but feel that this was the case "We can't do backgrounds so lets just draw a million characters instead"

But with the story, oddly a couple of issues was enough for me to realise that Bat Faced monkey man was a bad guy and Skunk boy was also a bad guy even if the comic had to tell me in every frame that he was a double tripple agent or whatever he was in that instance. As well as who the other characters were and if they were good or bad, even though the majority were more disposable than a used cotten bud in that I can't even remember them let alone describe them... erm... one was a pig right? Who wore a suit?

The build up right until the Death Egg was activated just felt like a complete waste and a throwaway, Bat Faced Monkey man was plotting bad things with Skunk Boy when suddenly all that gets thrown out of the window and now we're in the Genesis Saga and thankfully Bat Faced Monkey man and Skunk Boy are nowhere to be found, HOORAY!

So if you havn't guessed it yet. I'm not a fan of pre Genesis archie. Main reason being is that it feels like it's all held together by random characters that have such a little impact on you that it's questionable as to why they've lasted as long as they have. Wasn't there a boyfriend of the singer? I can't even remember what species he is, let alone the colour of his fur.

Now we're onto Genesis... and... Hang on!? Whats going on!?

Suddenly we have detailed backgrounds!? Colourful scenery!? Theres only 5 characters and we actually see Sonic doing something which isn't talking about why bad guys are bad.

What you think I'm just complaining for the sake of it? Right, take a look at the issue just before Genesis, look at the detail in the backgrounds on just about every page (including the Death Egg exterior itself) and compare it to any page in Genesis 1 + 2. The exception to this would be bits of the scrap brain zone which seem to be missing texture or detail, the giant saw for example.

For a new reader coming to Genesis, it's quite odd how easy it is to understand whats going on and who everybody is compared to having the 4 issues prior to it. Crazy in fact. Each character behaves as you expect, the mannerisms are all there even when no action is taking place in the comic at that point in time.

The only exception to this... yup you guessed it... Sally, has she ever had any use other than "You boy! Go there and fight that robot!" Oh wait... she can talk to the birds... I wonder how many times we'll see her use that trick in the many many years to come? (We won't will we?) She doesn't appear to have much of any role other than "Boy! Make the tea! Boy! Destroy that robot! BOY!!!" Although if we're going to see the characters start fresh (which we're not) it would be a great opportunity to see her actually devlop into a character instead of "I'm not a policeman I'm a princess!" character (2 points if you know what movie thats from.)

But one thing about Genesis which makes it a very strong comic compared to the previous few issues of the same series. Theres so little going on other than the primary story that new readers can easilly get into the comic without needing to know much information and the story itself is whats the driving force of it and not the disposable NPCs.

Whats strange about Genesis, and I wonder how many long term Archie readers have spotted this... it's almost like reading the early days of Fleetways STC. With such a smaller cast of characters it's almost like they've remembered to paint the backgrounds and give detail to them as well as actually give them characterisations. The story actually happens and theres action going on, because with such a smaller case you can't rely to much on exposition from all these seemingly hundreds of NPCs talking about why they don't like boiled eggs.

Notice how you've actually got a decent story running which only needs 5 characters to work, which doesn't have billions of NPC's popping up adding their 2cents or any random love (bitch) triangles or any other kind of character clashes going on... Hey! heres a crazy idea... maybe we shouldn't use that many characters in our future stories!? No... ... people will complain that Bat Faced Monkey man isn't in it anymore or Turtle footed honkey tonk child no longer saves the day. Oh well it's a nice window into how it could be anyway.

So Genesis is in it's third part now, but since I don't have it yet I can only really remark on the first 2. Oddly why part 2 has tails on the cover when he's not even mentioned is strange to say the least but anyway. Part 2 continues quite as strongly as part 1 did, however the old archie habbits are coming back in, theres a few areas where the backgrounds seem to be a bit smooth and the 'smooth walls' syndrome is there despite them being inside an ancient water flooded rocky maze. But eitherway, theres quite a great deal of action going on. Even if Antoines vanishing act goes from "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" to... "Oh well moving on" in an epically quick page.

The fight between Sonic and Robotnik is a bit.. wha? Sonic doesn't appear to do all that much and when Antoine finally appears again, I'll admit his lines and moment with Robotnik did make me laugh even if it was a tad convenient how he just randomly pops into the tube.

Speaking of Antoines vanishing act. You want evidence that a smaller cast of characters works? Look at the moment they jump into the water, thats 5 pages where a ton of action occurs and in some cases there isn't even any dialogue. Something is always happening and the story is always moving on. See! You don't need the entire population of urm... urm... Bat Faced Monkey Man land to make a story work or move along.

Although one thing I would like to ask. When the story has only 5 characters in it (excluding robotnik) is it really needed to have a 'who is who' on the first page telling us who everybody is?

But overall I really enjoyed genesis part 1 and 2 if only because it reminds me so much of STC yet it has all the quirky Archie humour still in. For example, has anyone else spotted how Antoine gets an Orbinaut head following him down the slide which eventually makes his home on Antoines head, almost like he's wearing an Orbinaut's hat?

As you can probably tell... for me, Genesis Archie is much more enjoyable read than pre genesis archie. Just because it feels like more effort went into drawing/creating the whole comic and not just the characters. I don't need to have read months worth of issues to know who is who and whats going on, there is actually a story going on and moving along as well as small 'moments' drawn/written into it, e.g. Antoine's Orbinaut and his face to face with Robotnik.

And if you're wondering why I've only just gotten around to writing this. Part 2 has been a fucking bitch to find for some ungodly reason!

*plays the violin.*

• Thumbs Up 4

Nice review, but it sounds like you want the comic to be simpler because you're a new reader. Wasn't Fleetway the comic with the pig-man in a leather jacket? It's easy to be dismissive of that comic too. The arc with Geoffrey was great for long term fans, you might have just jumped in at a bad spot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another outsider who wants the comics to be like the games and uses gross over-exaggerations? Color me shocked.

And call me crazy, but when there is a concert scene I EXPECT there to be a lot of people and not detailed backgrounds.

I meant no disrespect when I used the term "outsider" I just used that beacuse you were apparently new to the comics (I could have worded if better though.

Im irked beacuse you mention things like non-existant love triangles and a lot of characters (which is perfect normal for a comic book series) that have no purpose in the story (honestly, how many issues have you actually read to arrive at these conclusions?).

"Keeping it simple" might work Sonic the video game series, but not for a nearly 20 year old comic with well established characters

I've been a reader of the comics for about 3 or 4 years now and I do have to agree with you on the whole "Whats going on" Factor HogFather. Archie Comics are reputed for endlessly commenting on Past issues (Like "See STH 208" or something) and that is endlessly irritating for people who haven't read those (I've had to read back issues online to get most of it!). The Genesis Arc is a nice break from that as its so simple there is no explanations needed.

Yeah, I'll say that Archie fans can get a wee bit rowdy. We had the whole Sally x Monkey khan thing to show for that.

To be fair it is kinda like reading the final Harry Potter book without reading any of the others. There's a lot of characters that they don't take time to introduce and a lot of people dying without being built up in the book first. So you're going to be confused and unsatisfied. But if you've read all the books previously then it all matters quite a lot that the house-elf died, whereas anyone just reading the final book without the context of the others would wonder why its wasting time on the death of such a minor character.

I'm just a new reader myself and coming in at the middle of an arc is the worst place to come in. To be fair to the comic though it generally does a good job setting things up at the beginning of an arc, even ones that draw heavily on previous mythology, by reintroducing old characters and setting up why they're important and such.

You make some good points Hogfather. It's true, the Archie series has a TON of characters, at least double, maybe even triple the amount that are from the games. Still I think they're doing a pretty good job keeping the story interesting. I have to say I think Ian has really helped with that actually. Before I admit things were getting a bit dull. The whole Sonic dating different girls like Mina and such I found really out of character. Seemed more like a teen drama than a action comic. I even stopped collecting the comics about that time because they were hard to get a hold of and I just wasn't that into it. Came back in round the time the Iron Dominion took over was like Holy, crap! what Did I miss? Now trying to back track and get the whole scoop.

Anyhow about having few characters, well I admit it makes the plot much simpler but is that really what we want? This comic to my knowledge is not intended to end anytime soon so why would we want simple stories? Also one thing I really like is that Eggman is not the only villain, there are plenty of others to keep Sonic busy. That was the point of having "bat faced monkey man" Ixis Naugus there (lol I think I'll have to call him that from now ontongue.png ). To show that the fight will never die out. Also it shows what a bad ass Eggman can be. He trumped everyone and took them by surprise. The first panel 225 just shows that yes, the writer was thinking far in advance, there were hints the Eggman was making a come back clear back in 201 and Sonic didn't see it coming. Heck I didn't see it coming. I needed that page to spell it out for me as I was just as surprised as Sonic. I knew Eggman was up to something from the few moments we were shown with him and Snively but I didn't think he'd win like that.

As for Genesis I'd have to say it's... A bit dull. That's mostly because it started off with a killer cliffhanger though. Yeah it's easier to follow but that's not what I want. I want to have to go back and read the whole story because I feel that's how all comics that are meant to be continuous should be written. If it's just a one time story then what's the point of getting another issue? Yes it makes the story hard to follow if you're just getting in but that's the idea. The goal is to sell comics and what better way than to have them all connected? To give a nod to those that have followed it and reward them with seeing old faces. It's all for Nostalgia's sake.

Also another thing that should prove this series is going strong is that fact that we have Sonic Universe. That's 2 comics series going on at the same time and they build on eachother. That takes some talent to write out. Also, and not everyone might like this but I think it's impressive, even though it's called Sonic Universe the stories don't all revolve around Sonic! And yet they still sell? AMAZING! Heck look at the most recent one with Scourge. There's a whole ark's worth with just Archie Sonic characters in it. Heck look at the cover of # 30. Now someone new to the series would have no flipping idea who ANY of those characters are. But if you follow the series then you know them, and heck you might even like them. Judging by the fact that such an ark even exists means A LOT of people must like them. And there's no Sonic.

Does this belittle Sonic? Yes I feel it does. Yet I don't really mind it. After all that's why it's UNIVERSE. Universe is for thoses that like the world the Archie comics have made but don't necessarily want to just see things from Sonic's perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1

In regards to having so many characters, it gives the comics A LOT more options in regards to where they want to take the plot or what kind of plot they want to make. And they can use them at certain points in order to keep things flowing. It's not a matter of them doing it to crowd the comics, because only a certain number of characters get any central focus in the story at a time.

And then you consider that some of those many many characters you're talking about also play support roles as opposed to main roles to deal with the potential problem of overcrowding. Not every character is important at the same time, but some may change in their importance at a certain time.

I'd say they've been doing a good job in balancing the cast despite how many characters they have, which is more than I can say for Sonic Team who's previous record wasn't doing so well with a lesser number of characters by comparison.

Since the preview pages have been up for who knows HOW long (Man, I'm lazy. :P), it's summary time!

1.The issue opens with Sonic and the FFs returning to the Green Hill Zone and meeting with Tails.

2.Tails asks who they are and Sonic introduces Sally, Antoine, and Boomer to him and vice versa.

3.Boomer and Tails quickly hit it off by chatting about the tech specs of Sonic's plane, the Tornado.

4.Sonic and Sally talk about their previous adventure in the Scrap Brain Zone.

5."I saw you working on that computer before we left the Scrap Brain Zone. Nothing but bad news?"

6."Pretty much. Doctor Eggman's production plants are still running, and it looks like you were right--he did survive. And there were no leads about all the recent--"

7.They're quickly interrupted by a loud earthquake.

8."That was the worst tremor yet. If Eggman IS behind them, we need to stop them before the entire planet shakes apart!"

9."Which would stink, 'cause that's where I keep all my stuff."

10.Sonic insists on going in for a frontal assault against Eggman, but Sally suggests that they cut off his support lines to dismantle his infrastructure.

11."But that plan sounds so SLoW..."

12.Tails asks if he can come along with Sonic and the FFs and Sally questions if he's too young, but Sonic vouches for him and tells her he can handle himself.

13.The group sets off on their mission to cripple Eggman's support lines.

14.Meanwhile in space, Eggman and Snively are on board the Death Egg formulating their master plan.

15."WAHA-HA-HA! With phase one well behind us, this glorious flying fortress can move on to phase two of my brilliant plan!"

16."About that, sir. What WAS phase one?"

17."It was brilliant! We did that...thing...to the planet! You know...that thing...it primed Mobius for...phase two. Bah! It doesn't matter whether you remember it or not! Whatever it was, it severely drained the power reserves!"

18."Yes, but you don't have to worry about refueling from all your factories and bases now! The seven Chaos Emeralds we found are recharging the station incredibly fast!"

19."YESSSS. Once fully powered, I will be able to roboticize ALL of Mobius in one shot!"

20.Eggman takes out a handheld device and stylus pen.

21."Since all we have to do is wait for total victory, I have plenty of time to work on this little "Chaos in the equation" logic puzzle."

22."Sir?"

23."The unpredictable, Snively. The quantum variant. The unexplainable hiccup in the soundest of plans. The Hedgehog..."

24."H-Hedgehog...? Erm, shouldn't we be paying some attention to the dimensional disturbances? They've caused heavy seismic activity recently, but preliminary readings suggest a total space-time collapse. It's like reality has been stretched and is fighting to snap back."

25."Hmm? Whatever. I'll have won before then. Let me work."

26."What about the rebel Mobians who attacked us? They're sure to try to cause some more problems!"

27."Oh, don't worry about them, Snively. I made sure my facilities are READY for uninvited guests."

28.Sonic, Tails and the FFs arrive at the Chemical Plant Zone.

29.Tails wonders why Eggman needs this much chemical fuel and this triggers a nerdy conversation with Boomer.

30."Can you imagine how many joules that much fuel could produce?!"

31."Can you imagine a device that NEEDED that kind of power?!"

32.Antoine, however, is not as hyped about the impications of so much fuel.

33."Are we trying to stop ze Madman's schemes, or are we putting together ze fanning club for him?"

34.Sally suggests that they try to find a way to shut the plant down and the group looks around a bit.

35.After looking around, they realize just how large the plant is and that they need to find some way to determine where they want to go.

36.Sonic volunteers to speed through the various pipes to find out where each one goes and determine their best route that way, but Tails suggests that he can use his flight to determine their route. The two decide to race each other to see who can find the route to the end first.

37.The two use their respective strategies to find the route and spot the correct path at the same time.

38.Sonic gives Tails a noogie.

39."Cheater! You followed me up here!"

40."Ha, ha! No, I didn't!"

41.The FFs float up to the path using a platform.

42."Y'know, you could've waited another minute, gone around the bend with us and found this elevator."

43."Yeah...but where would the fun be in that?"

44.The group spots a couple of groups of four cube-like platforms floating up to a higher level of the plant.

45.Sally says that it's a supply delivery route and Sonic suggests hopping on them and riding them to the top.

46.Boomer says that they look heavy enough to support them, but Sally thinks it's just a bit too convenient that this simple route is so easy to find and utilize.

47.Sonic says that Sally's just worrying too much and he and Tails board the platforms.

48.Antoine is a tad more cautious of their situation.

49."Must we be ze leaping wizout ze looking? Last time moi was nearly drown-ed."

50."You made it out okay. You even saved Sonic! The real problem in the Labyrinth Zone was the--"

51.Suddenly, A huge tremor shakes the plant, rocking the ground beneath the FFs.

52."EARTHQUAKE!!"

53.A trap door at the bottom of the shaft opens and releases a large pool of purple sludge beneath the group.

54.The FFs board the platforms to escape the sludge.

55."This place is filling with Mega Muck!"

56."I KNEW it would be a trap!"

57.Sonic is confused.

58."Mega-what?"

59."Mega Muck! A viscous polymer with toxic properties!"

60."Meaning...?"

61."We're going to drown in poison soup!"

62."Ah."

63.Sonic tells Tails to start flying the FFs up and he'll make them a way out.

64.Tails does just that and picks up Antoine.

65.Sonic makes them an escape hole and goes back down to help Sally and Boomer.

66.Boomer tells Sally to go ahead, but she refuses to leave him behind in the Muck.

67.Sonic arrives and lands on the opposite end of the platform, causing it to shift position and Boomer to fly up.

68.Boomer passes Tails on the way.

69."I was coming back for you, y'know?"

70."I thought I'd save you the trip...!"

71.Sonic picks up Sally and heads towards the top.

72."I could climb out on my own..."

73."Where would the fun be in that?"

74."Where indeed?"

75.The two share a loving glance and make to the escape hatch to meet the others.

76.Tails is exhausted.

77."Are you okay? All "heroed" out?"

78."*PANT* I'm fine. *WHEW* I just can't fly too long..."

79.Sonic is irritated by the Doc's trap.

80."That tears it. We shut this place down, then find Eggman and teach him to try and trap us!"

81.Sally objects.

82."Let's not get ahead of ourselves..."

83."Did the fumes go to your head?"

84."I want to end this quickly, too, but it's like I said earlier. We have to cut his support lines, or we're going to be dealing with him over and over again. If we rush in, somebody's going to get hurt."

85."Nobody's going to get hurt as long as I'm..."

86.Suddenly, Sonic has a quick image of Sally's fate at the end of #225 flash into his mind and is shocked by it.

87."Sonic...?"

88."Fine, have it your way. You go to the bases. I'M heading for the big man."

89."So that's it? You're just walking out on us?!"

90."I don't walk. I run. It's been fun, guys. Later."

91.Tails says that he's going with Sonic and bids the FFs goodbye.

92.Boomer says that he and Antoine will still stick with Sally and Antoine is confused by Sonic's actions.

93."I am confus-ed. Were we just dumped?"

94.Sally starts walking ahead of them.

95."Let's shut this place down, guys."

96."Smooth, 'Twan."

97."What? That is what you are calling it when someone walks out on you, non?"

98.The FFs make it to the Oil Ocean Zone.

99."Not too much further, boys. We shut this place down, and Eggman loses over half of his energy resources."

100.Boomer asks Sally about their situation.

101."Sal, I'm sorry if this is a sore topic, but shouldn't we have made an effort to keep Sonic around? Not to belittle our efforts, but we could really use his skills about now."

102."No, Boomer. You're right. I wasn't...I wasn't thinking back there..."

103.Their conversation is interrupted by another tremor.

104.Boomer says that Mobius is shaking itself apart and Sally says that they have to shut down the plant as soon as possible.

105.However, they fail to notice that they're being monitored by a Badnik in the distance.

106.Meanwhile, Sonic and Tails have arrived in the Metropolis Zone by way of the Tornado.

107."We're coming up on Dr. Eggman's city, Sonic! It would be nice if we had some back-up, don't you think?"

108."Nah. It's better this way. They can handle themselves."

109."I meant more about us. We're in WAY over our heads..."

110."Don't sweat it, little bro! You just keep the Tornado safe while I ruin Eggman's day! Then we'll fly off to our Happily-Ever-After."

111."If you say so..."

112.Sonic grabs a radio and goes towards the edge of one of the Tornado's wings.

113."I'll have my radio on so we can keep in touch. See you in a bit!"

114.Sonic drops from the plane, grinds down a steel tower, and crashes through a window into Eggman's factory.

115."Now--to handle the Doc while everyone ELSE is at a safe distance. Ready or not, Eggman! Here I come!"

116.The issue ends.

117.There's also a very funny Off-Panel strip where Eggman is continuously pelted by his own EggPods circling around his mech.

Plus, here are a few photos featuring some new locales from the issue:

293512_205195566210955_100001615403873_568697_9864_n.jpg

297320_205195459544299_100001615403873_568690_5008068_n.jpg

298275_205195736210938_100001615403873_568699_5569695_n.jpg

299055_205195489544296_100001615403873_568691_1000529_n.jpg

314429_205195682877610_100001615403873_568698_6744793_n.jpg

320022_205195369544308_100001615403873_568689_3404135_n.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 1

A review of a couple of issues of archie from someone who used to only ever read Fleetways STC Part 2.

Following SOS, I was able to get a few archie comic issues which take place during the concert... the whole "She's everywhere! In everything!" song that makes AI girl have a breakdown and run away, right up until Sally gets turned into swiss cheese. Since then I've managed to find Genesis part 1 and 2.

So the last time I decided to write a review about an Archie Sonic comic I pointed out how I couldn't understand why people say "Archie has better art than fleetway" when it becomes plain as day that the majority of the artistic tallent is put on the characters and little to nothing is put on the backgrounds or scenery in which they are actually living in.

It depends. Archie focuses on the character design which is cartoony, fun, and general sleekness while the background is simple only if the area they're in is plain. If you go to the issue where Bunnie and Sonic are fighting in Oil Rig City, it is absolutely gorgeous. It feels and looks like a battle. Then, again, the characters do their part and it is easy to follow without needing know the history.

"Hey" Said Sonic, "Lets fight robotnik in this green room whilst the readers admire every individually drawn fur on my body!" Would be an accurate description. Reading the one with the rock concert I couldn't help but feel that this was the case "We can't do backgrounds so lets just draw a million characters instead"

Pretty much.

But with the story, oddly a couple of issues was enough for me to realise that Bat Faced monkey man was a bad guy and Skunk boy was also a bad guy even if the comic had to tell me in every frame that he was a double tripple agent or whatever he was in that instance. As well as who the other characters were and if they were good or bad, even though the majority were more disposable than a used cotten bud in that I can't even remember them let alone describe them... erm... one was a pig right? Who wore a suit?

Ixis Naugus could and should have been a big time villain in the series. He is supposed to be the foil of Eggman. Geof being his understudy is a shit ton better than him being the Marty Stu and him being just better than everybody. While they are disposable because they are relatively new and don't get a lot of screen time, if Ian writes them well and keeps them as a menacing threat instead of just a "Well, Eggman is out commission for the moment so lets try some new villains" replacement then maybe readers will start to care.

The build up right until the Death Egg was activated just felt like a complete waste and a throwaway, Bat Faced Monkey man was plotting bad things with Skunk Boy when suddenly all that gets thrown out of the window and now we're in the Genesis Saga and thankfully Bat Faced Monkey man and Skunk Boy are nowhere to be found, HOORAY!

Not a fan of Geof? Nobody is.

So if you havn't guessed it yet. I'm not a fan of pre Genesis archie. Main reason being is that it feels like it's all held together by random characters that have such a little impact on you that it's questionable as to why they've lasted as long as they have. Wasn't there a boyfriend of the singer? I can't even remember what species he is, let alone the colour of his fur.

His name is Ashe. He is a mongoose. He is yellow. You don't have to remember it because he is as unimportant as you imply.

The only exception to this... yup you guessed it... Sally, has she ever had any use other than "You boy! Go there and fight that robot!" Oh wait... she can talk to the birds... I wonder how many times we'll see her use that trick in the many many years to come? (We won't will we?) She doesn't appear to have much of any role other than "Boy! Make the tea! Boy! Destroy that robot! BOY!!!" Although if we're going to see the characters start fresh (which we're not) it would be a great opportunity to see her actually devlop into a character instead of "I'm not a policeman I'm a princess!" character (2 points if you know what movie thats from.)

Kindergarten Cop. No, she has no other use other than dish out commands, conveniently get praised about how great she is, and be the romantic interest of Sonic. Yes, she is that shallow.

I agree with you on the small cast theory.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

No I want it simpler because it actually helps to drive along a story instead of it being an absolute mad house with tons of characters...

Also I fail to see how you can dismiss Fleetway on the basis of Porker Lewis? What exactly did you mean by that?

Because you seem to have a problem with Naugus and Geoff in your review, you don't even use their names. One is the villain and one is the lackey. If that's a clusterfuck to you then the pig in the jacket must blow your fucking mind. It just sounds like you don't give it a chance.

How long would a reduced Sonic cast last before it got old? It would get tired like Sonic X. Larger casts are good for continuity.

In fact why don't we take a look at how the Death Egg used to look.

Compared to how it looks today?

Why are archie characters detailed... yet backgrounds/scenery is often left to near shiny smooth walls?

Manny Galan was one of the book's best artists as far as I'm concerned. The issue with Archie's art was always consistency though. When the book had 3-4 artists you had only a quarter of the issues looking good and the others just passing. Yardley's art today is simple, but succeeds for it.