Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Honestly, I feel like they should have probably waited a much longer time before trying to do the second crossover, really. I mean, I know it's, in the real world, been a fairly long time, but for a monthly comic series, that's not enough time for the characters. So things feel rushed back in, with little or no planning.

Then again, I guess it also kinda depends how much of a notice they get that Mega Man comics were going on hiatus. Trying to get another cross over while they still got a chance.

Th11gro.jpg

Sticks wh...what's wrong with yo...Sticks, your skull should not be making that...Sticks, STICKS

Sticks has suffered from the Curse of the Crosseyed Moose! Run for your lives!!!

Well...

QNFA9nJ.jpg

ROBOTS.

ROBOTS EVERYWHERE.

I kinda prefer this tho-

StH_250_P2-3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I feel like they should have probably waited a much longer time before trying to do the second crossover, really. I mean, I know it's, in the real world, been a fairly long time, but for a monthly comic series, that's not enough time for the characters. So things feel rushed back in, with little or no planning.

Then again, I guess it also kinda depends how much of a notice they get that Mega Man comics were going on hiatus. Trying to get another cross over while they still got a chance.

If they didn't, then they would've made a Archie Sonic/Sonic Boom Crossover, involving Archie Eggman and Lyric, and it would violate lots of mandates, like keeping Lyric out of the comics!

Well, since I posted it on Bumbleking, I'll post it here. My full thoughts on Worlds Unite compared to Worlds Collide.

Honestly, Worlds Unite feels like there isn't as much heart or as much focus as what Worlds Collide had. Worlds Unite so far has felt like it hasn't had a story focus or a reason to need 12 issues. But we should start from the beginning.

Firstly, I just don't like the art that much in Worlds Unite. Worlds Collide was given to the big names of Archie Sonic & Mega Man. The ones who have experience with the characters and the art styles, giving us a really cool blend of art for the entire crossover. Fair enough, Tracy's Mega Man art needed touching up, but the Sonic side looked as good as usual.

But for Worlds Unite, the guest artists just don't feel that experienced with the characters or the art style. The first act of the arc was alright but the colours felt too dark and kind of brought down what was decent artwork. But Act 2 so far has felt really bad, with a lot of questionable art and just a whole lot of things looking really off figure. For a massive crossover event, it just isn't a good idea to get a bunch of guests who probably don't know how to draw these characters well into it. It feels distracting.

But my biggest issue with Worlds Unite, is just the general lack of focus. This seems to be a common complaint and I'm sorry, but it's my biggest issue with the story arc. The entire thing feels like an excuse just to show flashy fight scenes between characters. Even to the point where two spin off battle issues were created just for more of these. I mean, for set up alone, we've had six different issues, between the main series and the Mega Man Battles issue. 

On the other hand Worlds Collide had 2 issues. But the issue with Worlds Unite is it feels like there's no substance to the story. On top of those six issues of set up as I mentioned, two of them took place almost entirely with Eggman and Wily getting Sigma's plan set up. It took up to Issue 3 before we even got the heroes into the story, and even worse, we don't actually get any of the character interactions we want until Issue 5.

The rest feel like flashy battle scenes, between the robot masters vs Sonic Man, and M'egga Man Vs the Freedom Fighters, and even after that, they go down in like a issue or issue and a half. It feels like Sonic and Mega Man were turned evil just to throw in shock value.

But even after that, with Issues 6 & 7, we're straight back into a battle scenes, and it looks like Issue 8 is going to be more of the same.

Compare that to Worlds Collide. There, set up took two issues, establishing how Eggman & Wily met, established their plan, and even then, we still got the character interactions like Copy Robot and the Chaotix, Sonic & Copy Robot etc. I just can't help but feel that Worlds Collide handled pacing better and balanced the story and fan service equally while Worlds Unite on the other hand feels like set up and battles.

But on top of that, it feels like Worlds Unite doesn't even fit in well. I know Worlds Collide didn't fit in that well either due to Sonic's side, but there, Mega Man #23 had set up the event at least. Here, Worlds Unite doesn't feel like it gets much set up, other than Orbot's evil eyes in Sonic Universe #75. But also, the fact that it feels like it either ruins narratives in Mega Man, or causes plot holes in Sonic.

What do I mean by this? Well, on Sonic's side, the FCBD 2015 Prelude establishes and I quote ''Sonic's memories of his old world faded away and new memories of the altered reality took their place'', yet this arc sets up that Sonic and Eggman still clearly remember the events of Worlds Collide, despite the fact that Worlds Collide's events should have faded as well, considering Mega Man's universe can't remember them.

As for Mega Man's narrative, Mega Man and everyone at Light Labs believed Wily is 

dead but Mega Man clearly knows Wily is alive and well now despite him being believed dead for a total of one issue.

• Thumbs Up 4

To be fair, why would Sonic or Eggman forget the WC reality, when it was another Genesis reality in of itself? In the new continuity, it was always the new continuity, then Eggman lost at the end of Generations where he managed to get in contact with Wily and use the (Super) Genesis Wave to reshape both worlds into altered versions of themselves, then everything went 'right' when Sonic 'restored' bis world, save the SGW waking up Dark Gaia who.cracked open the planet.

Fair points on most everything ele tho.

My reasoning for that is because Mega Man lost his memories of the event when restoring his world, plus the fact Genesis showed that when any world is restored from a Genesis wave, the memories are lost, unless something very specific reminds them of it. Sonic & Eggman automatically remember it despite the fact that Chaos Control did in fact happen, and it reverted the reality. Even if it was botched, if Sonic & Eggman's memories were lost and reverted to the new world, I'd assume the memories of Worlds Collide would fade as well.

Not that I'm complaining mind you, but it's still a plot hole.

Here's what I'm wondering: since "Genesis" happened in this new continuity as well, does anyone remember it?

Here's what I'm wondering: since "Genesis" happened in this new continuity as well, does anyone remember it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps Team Dark got shoved out of the dimensions, and into the White Space, which serves as a sort of purgatory waiting room for those who are NOT in the crossover to idle away the pseudo-hours conversing with each other. And it looks like these people are in it:

- Shadow

- Rouge

- Omega

- Blaze

- Silver

- Dr. Light

- Light's Original 8

- GUN

And others. My guess is that Silver must be manipulating the Genesis Portals from the White Space, and helping Sticks from behind the scenes.

Or maybe they were just left in whatever purgatory was there. Who knows?

Hey guys, you want some sales stats for the crossover issues before I head to bed?

Last month, I reported that Sonic Universe #76 aka WU part 1 sold 8,657 direct market copies, way down on the debut issue of WC. Well, we have more comics in, and it seems a little more stable, although still not nearly as high as WC at this point;

Sonic Boom #8 (WU p2) - 8,231

Sonic #273 (WU p3) - 9,823

Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles - 8,668

Mega Man #50 (WU p4) - 10,760

Sonic Universe #77 (WU p5) - 8,689

Oh look, people turned out for the milestone issue of Mega Man, and given that SU#75 (a pre-WU story) sold 11,618 direct market, it seems more people are drawn in by that than the fact it's a crossover. :/ At least it bodes well for Sonic #275?

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I blame this. The crossover as I've already established feels totally lackluster to be honest.

If they didn't, then they would've made a Archie Sonic/Sonic Boom Crossover, involving Archie Eggman and Lyric, and it would violate lots of mandates, like keeping Lyric out of the comics!

Wait, I'm a bit confused what you mean by this. Didn't what? What about Sonic Boom crossover? Think my head's a little out of it right now.

Hey guys, you want some sales stats for the crossover issues before I head to bed?

Last month, I reported that Sonic Universe #76 aka WU part 1 sold 8,657 direct market copies, way down on the debut issue of WC. Well, we have more comics in, and it seems a little more stable, although still not nearly as high as WC at this point;

Sonic Boom #8 (WU p2) - 8,231

Sonic #273 (WU p3) - 9,823

Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles - 8,668

Mega Man #50 (WU p4) - 10,760

Sonic Universe #77 (WU p5) - 8,689

Oh look, people turned out for the milestone issue of Mega Man, and given that SU#75 (a pre-WU story) sold 11,618 direct market, it seems more people are drawn in by that than the fact it's a crossover. :/ At least it bodes well for Sonic #275?

...Sorry I'm terrible at numbers, have no clue whether this is good or not. Is there information on the average number of sales for the normal Sonic Megaman comics to compare? 

The artwork didn't bother me much surprisingly. I don't love it, but don't hate it either. Maybe because it reminds me of the artwork from some of the WC ones? Those were terrible.

Sonic Usually puts out about 7.5-8k, Sonic Universe and Mega Man both flit around the 6.5k mark just prior to the crossover (bar SU#75 as noted), and Sonic Boom is usually down at 6k. Like I said, it has done a boost, it's just down from the numbers that WC pulled up to this point.

Sth 274 off panel!

640px-Off_Panel_StH_274.png

Am I the only one who likes the art of the sound effect words?

Wolf sidekick?

Was that a reference to T.W.Barker?

Well Barker's never been Chimp's sidekicks in any episode, so I don't really get who he's referring to there.

Sth 274 off panel!

640px-Off_Panel_StH_274.png

Am I the only one who likes the art of the sound effect words?

Wolf sidekick?

Was that a reference to T.W.Barker?

IMO it was a big mistake not to have the main Boom cast in Worlds Unite. Only Sticks, Fastidious Beaver and Comedy Chimp just doesn't cut it, especially if they haven't even done anything important throughout the crossover (well, except Sticks) besides spouting jokes left and right!

I enjoyed Worlds Collide for what it was, but so far this one is a mess. The artwork isn't great, the story is meh and knowing that we still have all those Sega and Capcom franchises coming up in the next couple of issues is going to make this exactly what I predicted; a major clusterfuck of a crossover.

Wait, I'm a bit confused what you mean by this. Didn't what? What about Sonic Boom crossover? Think my head's a little out of it right now.

Some info from Ian on Bumbleking:

No, it was mostly licensing. We couldn't technically use anything before Act Three, but Capcom seemed cool about the "shadowy figure."

(It's in reply to the fact the Street Fighter characters are in the shadows in the second act of Worlds Unite)

This...really worries me. What I gather from this, I wonder has Capcom and Sega been placing guidelines for how the pacing has to go through the story? It's a rather odd rule that these characters can't appear until only Act 3 and it explains one of the arc's biggest issues.

More likely they could only get the license for an issue each. Act 3 is one issue of Sonic, one of Sonic Universe, one of Mega Man, and one of Sonic Boom, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

More likely they could only get the license for an issue each. Act 3 is one issue of Sonic, one of Sonic Universe, one of Mega Man, and one of Sonic Boom, right?

Yes. But still, it just seems rather odd. Considering it was Capcom who had to allow Ian to portray them in shadows.