Awoo.

New IGN preview

famicommander

It's one thing to watch people play Kinect games. It's another thing entirely to play them yourself. When the passive action of observing turns to full body movement, things get crazy. And tiring. And occasionally sweaty. This whole controller-free gaming era that Kinect is ushering in is, unsurprisingly, a lot more involved than simply pressing a few buttons.

After giving Sonic Free Riders a spin, my first thought was this: Sonic Free Riders and other similar Kinect games are going to be a blessing to parents with overactive kids. Just plop those wild rascals in front of Sonic Free Riders and watch them go bonkers wearing themselves out. Instant nap time.

Will Sonic Free Riders amaze the hardcore gamer? Not likely. It's interesting and a nice experience for those that like to be on the cutting edge of technology, but the target audience here is clearly the younger crowd.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you've got a few of the little fellows around and don't want them destroying your controllers. The game puts Sonic and pals in a series of hover board races with a setup that is reminiscent of games like Mario Kart. Each character has his or her own special powers -- Knuckles, for example, can punch through walls to create shortcuts -- and your skills can be further customized depending upon which board you select.

The great thing about Sonic Free Riders is how intuitive it is. Swipe your foot along the ground like you're skateboarding and you can boost up your speed. If you pick up a missile power-up, you simply make a throwing motion to toss it at an enemy. Lean forward or back and you'll steer to the left or right. If you know the basics of skateboarding, then you know how to get started.

Though watching a video of Sonic Free Riders may make it appear to be fairly simple, there's actually a game with a good amount of depth here. Timing jumps properly will allow you to pull off little tricks, quickly filling up your boost meter. A bit of finesse is required to properly perform an aerial trick. And there are a few things you'll learn as you go that will help you improve your times.

Grinding on rails, a move that only certain characters on specific boards can perform, is a skill that will take several sessions to perfect. After playing as a novice, I watched the SEGA producer demo Sonic Free Riders for me and the difference in skill was massive.

Want to see how it works in action? Check back with IGN on Wednesday for a video demo hosted by Jessica Chobot.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1109878p1.html

Well, they've at least managed to keep me interested. I'm still not paying 150 dollars for Kinect, though.

Edited by famicommander

Jessica Chobot is doing the video demo?

Count me in.

[/totallynotaperv]

Here's something to keep you going until then :P

So, there's going to be a video demo not played by a SEGA staffer? Cool. Still only the same stage shown at E3 though if the new screenshots there are anything to go by and the graphics in those screens are still way below what Xbox 360 can do.

Screens -

http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/077/077610/imgs_1.html

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post, but IGN have FINALLY put their video up and it's way shorter than the ones seen on other sites -

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/77610/sonic-riders-kinect/videos/fmp_sonic_spc_081110.html;jsessionid=isscus92r4c9?show=hi

I can't believe that after all this time waiting since the written preview we only get a video 01:46 in length. Jessica was wearing high heeled shoes? Surely she could tell beforehand how active Kinect is and would wear the correct shoes so we can see a proper demonstration? Also, she says she doesn't like excercise? So why not get a staffer that doesn't mind excercise to play it? Gamespot, 1UP and Giant Bomb's video previews were much better and informative. Try harder next time Jessica.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe that after all this time waiting since the written preview we only get a video 01:46 in length. Jessica was wearing high heeled shoes? Surely she could tell beforehand how active Kinect is and would wear the correct shoes so we can see a proper demonstration? Also, she says she doesn't like excercise? So why not get a staffer that doesn't mind excercise to play it? Gamespot, 1UP and Giant Bomb's video previews were much better and informative. Try harder next time Jessica.

It's simple.

Jessica Chobot = Girl

Girl = Views

Views = PROFIT

:P

I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed that preview for all the wrong reasons. From an actual info standpoint though, you're right - it wasn't as good as other sites. The game doesn't look quite as awful as I expected it to be though.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's simple.

Jessica Chobot = Girl

Girl = Views

Views = PROFIT

:P

I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed that preview for all the wrong reasons. From an actual info standpoint though, you're right - it wasn't as good as other sites. The game doesn't look quite as awful as I expected it to be though.

I somehow had a feeling this topic might start going down that path as soon as I posted the video :lol:

Try harder next time Jessica.

At least she still looked pretty.

I agree with all your other points though- it was a pretty half-arsed preview. Even though Game Spots interview didn't sound too promising, the gameplay saw there was far superior to this. =X

How DO views bring in profit?

Does like everytime a person views a page a $10 cheque appears in your mailbox?

I'm sure only the big sites like IGN and GameSpot have that sort of thing and not more fan-oriented sites like TSS and GoNintendo, etc.

So at 0:27 I noticed that she was leaning left and Sonic was turning right and I laughed. I laughed for the rest of the video.

Edited by Nix

• 1 month later...