Awoo.

BIRDCON NORTH '10 MEETUP [27/28TH NOVEMBER]

T-Bird

XD I knew you guys would pick the weekend I'm not free ;P I'm psychic! Don't reorganise because of me though! Majority over the minority! I have plans that weekend that involve me hopefully not getting drunk so!

Edited by DarkOverord

Wicked, I'll note that down in my imaginary diary and let work know.

...It's also the weekend I get paid. Woo!

XD I knew you guys would pick the weekend I'm not free ;P I'm psychic! Don't reorganise because of me though! Majority over the minority! I have plans that weekend that involve me hopefully not getting drunk so!

Psh, bloody physicists!

If anyone is thinking of making a weekend of it, the York travelodge are doing rooms for £29 a pop for the Saturday of this weekend - so if you're coming up with your other half, or a mate, you can stay the night for £15 a head. Not bad if you ask me, and kicks the arse off London prices!

T

If anyone is thinking of making a weekend of it, the York travelodge are doing rooms for £29 a pop for the Saturday of this weekend - so if you're coming up with your other half, or a mate, you can stay the night for £15 a head. Not bad if you ask me, and kicks the arse off London prices!

T

Ah now that is cheap, thankfully I don't work on weekends and I get paid weekly and I get paid on the Friday so a BIG HOORAY!!!! To that. :D

Just caught the end of T-Time and heard Adam plug this, which may be just as well as I've barely been on the SSMB lately.

A meet-up that's just a two-and-a-half hour train journey from Edinburgh is tempting; maybe I'll meet some of you soon!

Just caught the end of T-Time and heard Adam plug this, which may be just as well as I've barely been on the SSMB lately.

A meet-up that's just a two-and-a-half hour train journey from Edinburgh is tempting; maybe I'll meet some of you soon!

Look forward to seeing you mate! Shouldn't be that much to get from Edinburgh and back!

T

Hrm, I might not be able to make it after all :lol:

The 29th is my seventh wedding anniversary and the hubby desperately wants to go on holiday that week, as we haven't had a holiday since our honeymoon!

So we shall see B)

Don't see why I can't make that weekend, both train tickets there and back are cheaper with a railcard and as long as I find a buddy to bunk with then accommodation should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hrm, I might not be able to make it after all :lol:

The 29th is my seventh wedding anniversary and the hubby desperately wants to go on holiday that week, as we haven't had a holiday since our honeymoon!

So we shall see B)

HOLIDAY TO YORK!

In other news, Mena might be coming after all. She's going to leave it quite late before confirming, but seeing as I'll be booking a double room for myself, all she'd need to do is turn up XD

Keep you posted.

In other news, Mena might be coming after all. She's going to leave it quite late before confirming, but seeing as I'll be booking a double room for myself, all she'd need to do is turn up XD

Keep you posted.

Hey which Travelodge are you booking at if you don't mind me asking man? :)

Travelling - sorted (hopefully), should arrive sometime around midday on the saturday, leave in the evening on the sunday, now to sort out somewhere to stay :3

Hey which Travelodge are you booking at if you don't mind me asking man? :)

Believe it's the York Travelodge. Not entirely sure.

I'll definitely try and get up North for this, but like foreversonic I'm currently living in Norwich. :lol:

Still, I'm sure there'll be a ton of meet-ups if not. :D

I'll definitely try and get up North for this, but like foreversonic I'm currently living in Norwich. :lol:

You're living in Norwich :o Where? (PM for privacy).

I'll probably be driving up if you and Dartanian need a lift. I just need to check bell rehearsals to make sure I'm free that weekend.

( donations to petrol are gratefully received :P )

Edited by foreversonic

...I just need to check bell rehearsals to make sure I'm free that weekend.

I've checked over the last couple of days and I am free that weekend.

Now I just need somewhere to stay and money so fund the trip :P

Scotrail's being a bugger with my train tickets.

gonna have to phone them up methinks, the tickets have gone up since i tried booking the first time D: Gone from £40 return to £50+

*cry*

Accommodation reserved for the 27th, at the Ace York Hostel via Hostelworld, very near the train station. It was one of few places in the city I could find for a sensible price on that day that didn't insist on a minimum 2 night stay, so maybe worth a look if anyone else is still seeking accommodation.

Is this meet-up definitely going ahead on the 27th/28th then? If so I'll buy my train tickets as soon as possible; when I checked earlier this evening it was only £28 return with a Railcard.

Oops. Seems that, due to money issues, I may have left this a tiny bit late, because the York Travelodge is all booked up :(

[uPDATE]

Yeah guys, all still going ahead for the weekend of the 27th / 28th.

ACCOMODATION:

If you haven't booked up yet I'm afraid most of the cheapies have gone. But DO NOT FEAR!

If you can find a buddy, my suggestion is you try booking up in a pub guesthouse. I can recommend the Lighthorseman if they still have rooms, - £65 a night for a twin room with breakfast thrown in too - that's £32.50 each. It's on my way in to York too so I would be able to meet you there in the morning.

If you're coming on your own, then let people know in here and you can arrange something together (for example - Gavvie and Foreversonic - could share a room!). I don't think they insist on a two night stay. Retrix also suggests a good idea with the Ace - it's a hostel, but it's cheap.

If you are just going to say screw it and stay Friday & Saturday, I will be around for drinks and such as well.

MEETING POINTS:

I will suggest that there are several points at which we meet.

POINT 1: York Station, 11:00am

For the early peoples, I will be there to meet folks at the station foyer. You can't miss my hat.

POINT 2: Revolution Restaurant Bar, 12:00pm

The name isn't a let down - they do Hoi Sin Duck Pizza and Caesar Salad Pizza too. Really cheap food. To get there from the station you turn right upon leaving and follow the road around across the bridge. Turn right down Lendal Main street and continue on until you see the city screen cinema down the side road. The restaurant is next to it.

ACTIVITIES:

As well as having a few pints during the day there will possibly be (depending on interest):

Walk the walls!:

The city still has most of it's fortifications which you can still go on and walk around. Apparently it's still legal to shoot a Scotsman within them (watch out JJ). Not incredibly strenuous so don't worry if you're not athletic!

York Railway museum:

Even if you're not a train fan it's still interesting, and there's a lot of history there. There's definitely at least an hour's worth of stuff to look at, and best of all...it's free!

Ghost Hunt:

We will MOST DEFINITELY be going on this if you're planning on staying the night. It kicks off in the evening so wrap up warm, and be prepared for an hour and a bit's tour of the scariest parts of York. Did I mention York is the most haunted city in Europe? It is fiver, but it's worth it.

Evil Eye / the House of Trembling Madness:

The two craziest bars ever. Evil eye does cocktails that will probably send those on the way to being drunk over the edge. The latter does a pint by the name of "Tactical Nuclear Penguin". It's 21%.

Betty's Tea Room:

If you're still around on Sunday, and the queues aren't huge, we will visit the best tea room in the world. It's a little pricy at times, but they do the best scones and tea ever. I'll be getting my Earl Grey there Sunday morning.

BRING WITH YOU:

Colors will be out so bring along your DS if you've got one, or iPhones if you've got Sonic 4. York IS IN THE NORTH OF ENGLAND AND IT WILL GET COLD, so bring a nice warm coat too. We won't be going overboard with activities, but do bring some dosh with you - I'd suggest at least £30/40 if you're planning on doing the full shebang with us.

That's about it for now...first and foremost...GET ACCOMODATION IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

T

I approve the Tour of T. York is awesome and I cant wait to visit again :D

Hope you all have fun! Take lots of photos for me!

I've been on the york walls before o: A long time ago when i was with the army cadets, i didn't get shot then and i don't plan on it yet.

Also, still not booked tickets, scotrail are still acting up when i try to put my payment through and the price keeps increasing, if i can't get them by sunday i'm gonna have to cancel. *crai*

I checked the Ace, it's sold out. At least, it was yesterday when I looked.

I think it's pretty much a given now that Mena's coming with, so I'd naturally be sharing a room with her. Waiting for the Lighthouseman to get back to me with regards to a booking there, otherwise it looks like I'm gonna be going with the Shoulder of Mutton, which was £70 at LateRooms.com.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to make it, not booked any accomodation or travel yet, mind you I didn't think I would be staying the full two days since Hull is only a bus ride away.

I've got a big thing coming up early November so depending how that goes might tell if I can make it or not.

I checked the Ace, it's sold out. At least, it was yesterday when I looked.

I think it's pretty much a given now that Mena's coming with, so I'd naturally be sharing a room with her. Waiting for the Lighthouseman to get back to me with regards to a booking there, otherwise it looks like I'm gonna be going with the Shoulder of Mutton, which was £70 at LateRooms.com.