Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Encyclopedia

Badnik Mechanic

So I was doing some looking today for F4F... and look what I found for pre-order.

STK423373.jpg.size-300_square-true.jpg

Thats not the final cover, so says the website. But it's going to answer every question you've ever had about Sonic... excuse me... modern Sonic... Answering all your questions, who is Sonic? Why do they call Dr. Robotnik "Eggman"? What is a "Chaos Emerald", and what exactly does it do?

Now... the bad news...

It's an Archie comic publication, and as the description says "it's easy to get lost in over 300 issues worth of stories" (ain't that the bloody truth), so we're talking about the Archie comics universe and not Sega Sonic universe here. I guess it might be something nice for collectors of the comic.

According to the description it's going to touch on nearly everything including items and objects, but one interesting item about the description was this...

All this, plus an extensive world map of Mobius and a timeline that sheds new light on past events.

So it's going to bring new information/history to the archie comics stories then eh? The Author is Ian Flynn but it contains artwork from urm... just about all the archie artists. So... any takers?

Pre-order from Forbidden planet now!

• Bad Quality Post 1

The Archie comics easily consist of the most complex, downright confusing universe in the franchise, so if anything, this is the only incarnation of Sonic that needs one.

Little interested.

I wonder if the book will have a death list, a list of all the characters that have died and how many times they've died.

I wonder if the book will have a death list, a list of all the characters that have died and how many times they've died.

Wait, how many times? Just saying that is a surefire way that The Archie edition of Sonic is confusing.

The Archie comics easily consist of the most complex, downright confusing universe in the franchise, so if anything, this is the only incarnation of Sonic that needs one.
I dunno about that. Considering how little the games explain things beyond the immediate conflict and a vague backstory, I think it'd be pretty interesting if they pulled it all together and put together an official version of what happened, including all the stuff they didn't tell us the first time. Although, given that it'd most likely be bucketloads of retcons in a series with some pretty sketchy writing, it probably wouldn't be for the best...

I have a vaugue memory of hearing about this Encyclopedia before. Its certainly interesting and I can imagine it being a very useful reference. I may well get it myself seeing as the main Archie series is something I'm not as knowledgeable about as other Sonic continuities.

Also heard about this.. I think it was in the comic itself.

Death list...let's see.. Sir Connery, Nate, Tommy Turtle, Antonie's Dad, Rosie (I think it was her.. she came back after some time travel), an alternate Tails that just disappeared on the spot when he found out he wasn't the real Tails, Rotors Freedom-Fighting career..

Pretty sure Snively and the Wolf-Pack were robotized at one point..

A lot of us in the Archie fanbase have known about this since... like... early 2009? XD (It was bombarded by delays, unfortunately)

But yes, I am quite looking forward to this and hoping that it manages to get released on September 28 here in North America. And yeah, there's going to be some new info, like origins for characters such as Commander Abraham Tower, Remington, and Auora. Also happy about timeline and updated map of Mobius. Can't wait!

Rosie (I think it was her.. she came back after some time travel)

You're thinking of SatAM. That never happened in Archie.

Edited by Immortheus

Honestly, I'm not sure that I'd want the game universe's blanks filled in. I mean, the last time SEGA tried to elaborate on the events of a past game after the fact (Sonic 4's website covering the events of S3&K), the result was hilariously incorrect. I'd be mildly interested in such a thing, but I'd be a little scared as well.

An Archie encyclopedia actually makes a lot of sense, though. I'm actually a little interested in it myself, even though I'm not a regular collector of the comics. It'd be a useful thing to have.

Edited by Octarine

So it will be about the characters and the insights of their development. Like a databook, with stats, their favorite foods, and birthdays and stuff. Kinda like the Naruto, Bleach and One Piece databooks? Lets hope the writers don't show bias to some of the characters in stats.

I'm still waiting for a massive coffee table book chronicling the 20 years of Sonic. Let's say ten pages per main series game, a 2 page spread for each spin-off, all the cartoons, comics, a special merch page. It needs to happen.

Archie book sounds interesting, but I hope it's done right. It needs lots of color images and nice layout.

I've known about this for about 3 months and I've been hyped up scence. I have read every comic so I don't need the more basic stuff, but an updated map of Mobius and the new time line content sounds great!

Oh, this has definitely perked my interest!

It'll be a treat to see how they handle this. I'm gonna see if I can snag a copy once it's released.

Edited by Sajotae

Heard about this on Power Rings MONTHS ago. If Ian's writing it, expect millions of retcons of Penders work.

Still, I'm pretty sure Sonic got robotisized once. And if we're counting deaths, what about that one alternate universe issue where Sonic killed a giant version of his dad. And bunnie, and Amy, and a crapton of other characters.

But I already am an Archie encyclopedia. At least until the Sonic Adventure arc. That arc is a confusing mess and sucks. I'm still catching up on issues 200 forward.

But those issues should be easy to find.

Yeah, I can't wait for this thing to come out. So many things have been said in this comic and then had little holes poked through them in order to make way for larger conflicting plots. I don't see too many things that need retconning actually. Ian's Q&A sessions on Bubmleking make a lot of sense. He understands the book.

Yeah, heard about this a while ago.

So considering it's obviously based on the comics, they should practically subtitle it "A complete guide to the licensed Sonic fanfic". [/rant]

Would be nice if they did something like this for the game canon, but as others have said, the comics are by far the most complex universe, for better or worse.

For the sake of Mobius, I hope that Tails/Cream is not canon (Whether if it's the games, comics or otherwise), or else I am going to barf.

I am hoping this "encyclopedia" will clear things up, even if it's based on the comics rather then the games.

Edited by Vulpine
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I look forward to new arts, if there are any. Actually I better save up. Between all the new Sonic toys, and the WFC DLC, I'm so broke ;_;

I look forward to new arts, if there are any. Actually I better save up. Between all the new Sonic toys, and the WFC DLC, I'm so broke ;_;

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that there's going to be new art.

Hi guys I just got an update from amazon who taken pre-orders, they e-mailed me saying that the title has been cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and not taking anymore pre-orders, read into that what you will.