Awoo.

You Know You've Played Too Much Sonic When...?

Glenn

This one's simple: have you ever experienced a moment in your life (can be anything, not necessarily while actually playing a Sonic game) where you've suddenly had a stunning moment of self-awareness, sat back and said to yourself "Okay, maybe I play too much Sonic"...?

I only ask because it happened to me an hour ago. I was dashing through Black Comet with Knuckles by my side in Shadow the Hedgehog on the PlayStation2. We all know how stupidly suicidal the tag-along AI can get, and yet I still found myself talking aloud to Knuckles. It went on for a good few minutes (things like "don't fall down there, you idiot", "c'mon, keep up" and "nice one, punch him again" with genuine feeling and emotion behind it) before I suddenly had the aforementioned epiphany. And this was after singing along to the opening cutscene's emo-tastic theme song, "I Am... (All Of Me)" although normal people can sing along to songs too, I guess.

So, that's enough insanity from me. What about you crazy lot? Had any moments like these, or worse? Ever been playing another videogame and wondered where your ring counter has gone? Or hell, ever been in a jewlrey shop and tried to take all the rings away from the fat guy with the moustache behind the counter (no... neither have I... *shifty eyes*...)?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I thought it after I realised I know Sonic Adventure 2 word for word. My friend would have a lot of laughs by naming a cutscene and off I go! Also thought it after I tried running like Sonic. Also when i deliberatly asked my Mum how many rings she has, she said she had seven. I began to sing Seven Rings in Hand.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, my brothers make jokes of me of how much I play sonic 3 and knuckles. The beauty of the game is how it can be picked up and played, especially when you got a save file, doing a stage with those awesome tunes in the background, never gets old.

Well I thought it after I realised I know Sonic Adventure 2 word for word. My friend would have a lot of laughs by naming a cutscene and off I go! Also thought it after I tried running like Sonic. Also when i deliberatly asked my Mum how many rings she has, she said she had seven. I began to sing Seven Rings in Hand.

You sound a lot like myself, I ALWAYS find ways of relating my real life events to something in the Sonic universe.

You sound a lot like myself, I ALWAYS find ways of relating my real life events to something in the Sonic universe.

Heh heh its always such a laugh. Especially when I look out the window when I'm on a car or a bus and imagine Sonic running along side.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh I know when you played a lot of Sonic so I'll just list them here. >:D

- You have a need for speed

- You prefer to have gold coins rings over money.

- You see bright colorful bug robots on the road moving back and forth.

- Your favorite red shoes can grind like magic

- You also have a need to curl up into balls to protect yourself

- You believe every old fat bald men are evil

- You save animals regardless if they need saving or not

- You fall to the bottom of the pool and can stand on it

- You have green eyes that go everywhere

- Your nemesis constantly shouts out PINGAS "U KNOW WAT THEY SAY! THE MOAR THE MARRIER!"

- Oh and you wear blue all the time.

Well that's the general list and if you are suffering from 3 or more go see a psychologist. XD

No not really.

:P

Edited by Rotom

Too much Sonic? There's no such thing! Well, maybe there is. A few years back, I remember spending nearly all day playing Sonic 2. That night, my dream was a literal Sonic 2 game, exactly like the real version. I was controlling Sonic in my dream, just like I would when playing the physical game. I wasn't totally asleep by this point, and I noticed that whenever Sonic jumped in my dream, my right thumb twitched!

Seventh grade, I made my hair blue over the summer. That was the start of it I think, though I'd been a fan for a bunch of years already.

And another from a few months ago, while we were in the NiGHTS-Sonic RP, I was imagining real life situations in terms of What Would Knuckles Do?

Last month when I was drunk and my friends were driving me home, I caught myself asking them to turn left on Knothole.

• Thumbs Up 2

One time I decided to play Sonic games all night. The next day I kept hearing ring noises in my head. Lots and lots of ring noises... :P

Edited by Mimi
  • Thumbs Up 2

One time I decided to play Sonic games all night. The next day I kept hearing ring noises in my head. Lots and lots of ring noises... :P

I used hear that when I buy lunch at school. It was obviously in my head, 'cause I didn't hear it when someone else buys.

Edited by Axl
  • Thumbs Up 2

I realised that I played far too much Sonic when I stopped to think, and came to the conclusion that I have close to 100 fan characters or so ( and to even more of my shame, they are 80 percent female ) And a fan comic that had way too much work and thought put into it, even for parts I hadn't written. Thankfully Im growing up and realising that is a horrible path to take. ( But I still love my fan characters... mainly because my friend never shuts up about the female ones. So I still sketch them up on rare occasions )

...I also came to the same conclusion that I had like three posters and three plushies visible in my old room, in addition to my game cube collection being 50 percent Sonic games until recently. Two T-Shirts and more Sonic Music on my computer than any other kind. And three different DVD collections of Sonic Cartoons and stacks of comics. I paid for an Xbox 360 just for Sonic 2006. After I started to realise the game wasn't quite right, that had to have the biggest impact on me for realising that I was way way way too into Sonic. ...but I will probably always love him though. Im just toned down now. Maybe one great game might get me hooked again.

Actually for me, every time I hear a "ring" sound effect, I instantly twist my head trying to find out where it's coming from.

However, it sort of hit me a few years back when I was learning to WaterSki. Every time I tried to get up, I'd end up falling into the water. But the when I finally got up, I started to sing "Believe In Myself" aloud. As soon as I got back on the boat, my folks asked me what I was singing, and as soon as I told them, they slipped a sonic comment in their reply. I made me laugh, but I also thought to myself, "Damn... maybe I am playing a bit too much" :lol:

Not so much playing Sonic too much, but when I was younger...... REAL young, I remembered the Sonic OVA word for word. I know this because me and my sister did the whole movie scene by scene, word for word, not once having to stop and think about what line was next, all with plushies, without the actual movie on........ *cries in hands* Then again it's not like that movie was LONG or anything.

Guest Miles Per Hour

Heh heh its always such a laugh. Especially when I look out the window when I'm on a car or a bus and imagine Sonic running along side.

I thought I was the only person that did that :angry:

I thought I was the only person that did that :angry:

Admittedly, I have done this on numerous occasions. Not only with Sonic; Tails as well. Some times Knuckles or Shadow.

Oh well, it either means I'm 'crazy' or I just have an extremely vivid imagination. Besides, it helps pass the time and ain't hurting anybody, right?

Well, almost whenever I walk around outside alone, I tend to play Macro Sonic in my head. A game set on our version of Earth where Sonic has been shrunk to tiny proportions.

Tiny Sonic runs along side me across the walls, fences and windowsills I pass, in a fashion that actually very much manages to mimic the style of Sonic Unleashed (I imagine springs and grind rails in my head to connect unjumpable gaps together in the scenery I stroll past and a shocking amount of walls seem compatible with the three-lane quickstepping sections of Unleashed).

Admittidly "Act 1: Sainsbury's Hill Zone" and "Act 2: Coming back from Sainsbury's Hill Zone with the shopping" aren't the most imaginative stages Sonic Team have ever come up with, but still...

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

Some great replies, especially those who "see" a version of Sonic running alongside a car, or indeed the MacroSonic game described by Jez... as yeah, I admit, I've done them too! Moreso the specific reference to Sonic Unleashed, as it was playing that game to near-death in my final Newcastle-based year that started me off on that. So my little Sonic would grind, jump, boost (complete with looped yelling sound effect) and slide all over walls, railings and branches! Freakin' awesome he was, too, never missed a jump!

way back in the day, me and my brother started this thing where when we won rings in one of the slot machine minigames or something, we'd thank the character by name, no in a way that you'd say to someone's face, more a style of them being responsible for it indirectly. Just a quick "Thanks Tails", for example.

Well, almost whenever I walk around outside alone, I tend to play Macro Sonic in my head.

:)

I have a habit of doing this with ceilings when I'm trying to fall asleep, or bathroom tiles, or any room interior. Anything with lines Sonic can climb on.

Well, almost whenever I walk around outside alone, I tend to play Macro Sonic in my head. A game set on our version of Earth where Sonic has been shrunk to tiny proportions.

Tiny Sonic runs along side me across the walls, fences and windowsills I pass, in a fashion that actually very much manages to mimic the style of Sonic Unleashed (I imagine springs and grind rails in my head to connect unjumpable gaps together in the scenery I stroll past and a shocking amount of walls seem compatible with the three-lane quickstepping sections of Unleashed).

Admittidly "Act 1: Sainsbury's Hill Zone" and "Act 2: Coming back from Sainsbury's Hill Zone with the shopping" aren't the most imaginative stages Sonic Team have ever come up with, but still...

Good god, I thought I was the only one who did that.

• Thumbs Up 2

When you buy a Sonic energy drink in Spencers, and you get into an argument with the guy behind the cashier to prove who's the ultimate Sonic fan.

You start using phrases like "way past cool!" on a regular basis.

You and your best friend have codenames for eachother. They are Sonic and Tails.

When you see a hedgehog in the mall and you ask "Why isn't it blue?"

• Thumbs Up 2

I also do the "Sonic running along with me in car/bus" lol!

The moment I really knew that I played too much Sonic (especially M&SatOWG) was when I was watching the winter olympics on TV and I called all the guys with yellow suites "Tails", all the red one's "Knuckles", all the blue one's "Sonic", and all the green one's "Vector". I even grabbed my Wii Balance Board and played along! *being ashame right now*