Awoo.

Phantasy Star Online 2! Open Beta now!

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Surprised this wasn't posted here.

There's a strong chance that PSO2 could be announced at TGS.

http://www.segabits.com/?p=3908

The evidence:

Other than "PSP2 Infinity", there is another PSO 10th anniversary project.

* Another tease from Sakai in an interview from Dengeki PS. He says that Infinity is "not the only PSO 10th anniversary project."

The domain "pso2.jp" was registered by SEGA.

3 unannounced SEGA games set to appear at TGS.

Again, everybody is just speculating. But it's still something to talk about.

If true, we will finally get a proper current-gen Phantasy Star Online. PSU was basically just a PS2 game ported to the 360. Now it's time to take advantage of the current hardware!

Discuss!

I will say if PSO2 doesn't stand for "Phantasy Star Online 2", I don't know what it stands for. And yes a Phantasy Star Online 2 can exist, that other one was Phantasy Star Online Episode 2, so shut up and don't crush my dreams. ;_;

I am a huge Phantasy Star fan, especially of the Online series (and the older Genesis games ALMOST but I loved the online) so making a 2nd game would make me really happy if they could keep more to the core that made PSO so fun and avoid the bumps and troubles Universe had. I don't mind change but change should be for the better while keeping the core of a series.

Take lessons learned from Universe and the portable games, and release it on consoles and you're going to have a fuck awesome console RPG.

if it's true... I can't wait.

PLEASE HAVE A CONSOLE PORT D:

It would make my day, everyday, forever and ever.

Considering it's Japan, it's most likely to have at least a PS3 version. I don't see the Japanese being major PC gamers.

This is pretty awesome news. 8D I hope it comes to Steam.

There should definately be a cut-down on grinding though. Twice I've attempted to see the end of Episode IV on PSO: BB, and both times I got too fatigued of grinding by the time I reached Seabed pm episode 2. On normal. 8(

I also hope there's a few vintage tunes from PSO thrown in. I'm sorry but I don't think anything could replace the beauty and nostalgia of "Day Dawns" as the lobby theme. I've hung out for like an hour in lobbies before and it never gets old. I <3 the PSO lobbies so much, and it makes me sad that I can't access them whenever I like in the GameCube version I bought to play single player should the private servers ever shut down.

Edited by JezMM

There should definately be a cut-down on grinding though. Twice I've attempted to see the end of Episode IV on PSO: BB, and both times I got too fatigued of grinding by the time I reached Seabed pm episode 2. On normal. 8(

You call it a grind I call it a FANTASTIC ADVENTURE
  • Thumbs Up 3

When do we get screenshots and stuuuuuff. Q_Q I saw the trailer but it's barely worth linking to. Stupid retrospective montage with no actual new game footage.

Edited by JezMM

• 7 months later...

Screenshots

There was also a gameplay trailer from a stream that I saw, but I can't find it elsewhere so far. It'll probably be crappy stream quality though, unless SEGA is busy putting it up right now.

To me, it looked like a cross between PSO and PSU with more PSO like music. I DUNNO MAN, BUT I AM EXCITED :D

Edited by Punk

I can't read Japanese, but a rough translation also suggests they have done a lot to bring the game into the modern age while pertaining what makes Phantasy Star what it is.

They apparently are also getting beta testers right now and the deadline ends May 20th but not exactly sure how you apply and there is one requirement apparently. Oui, screens look nice. I am a huge Phantasy Star fan so excited.

was that some DMC style juggling in the trailer there?

regardless, PSO hits a spot for me no other game does. i'm ready to invest hundreds of hours into this bitch already

Yeah man, for the amount of excitement I have for this game I also have so much fear that I may have to tell my family and friends they will never hear from me ever again.

I was ready to come in this topic and badmouth Sega for destroying their franchises...

But then the trailer started, and the goosebumps kicked in. HYPE GET.

Oh, PSO, the hours spent. :D

Can't tell if there are any androids in those screenshots because they make everything look like a damn human now. Cast superiority, yo.

• Thumbs Up 1

These are the system requirements for the alpha.

o8fmgg.png

The 7800 is like 5 years old, so it looks like SEGA is making sure a lot of people are capable of playing the game.

Hee excitement. I am especially digging the ability to jump (no platforming even required, it's just fun to be able to jump around like a tard in online games for some reason), and the fact that Rangers look like they actually play like a shooter game than just sword fighting at a distance with a gun.

Can't tell if there are any androids in those screenshots because they make everything look like a damn human now. Cast superiority, yo.

I think the green character may have been a CAST but he wasn't wearing very robotic parts.... I imagine alongside the human looking gear, if they have a threads system like PSU, we'll be able to have hella robotic looking dudes.

Or at least I hope so, lol.

Hee excitement. I am especially digging the ability to jump (no platforming even required, it's just fun to be able to jump around like a tard in online games for some reason), and the fact that Rangers look like they actually play like a shooter game than just sword fighting at a distance with a gun.

Yes and yes! Rangering actually looks fun there!

These are the system requirements for the alpha.

o8fmgg.png

The 7800 is like 5 years old, so it looks like SEGA is making sure a lot of people are capable of playing the game.

Nice my comp can handle this nooooooooooo problem. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THEN - that I won't have beta access :P

Also yeah, the jump has me excited as well as the third person shooter controls. This game already looks to be the bees knees, taking what was good about PSO and PSP2 and mashing them together + new elements. I just hope the soundtrack is totally fucking awesome, which from the trailer it sounds more like PSO than PSU so I'm hoping they keep going in that direction. I want a creepy sci-fi sort of...isolated vibe to the music again. PSO did have some more upbeat tracks but in general I always felt they had an aura of creepyness or that 'something wasn't quite right' to them. It was a beautiful soundtrack :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I think PSO's soundtrack was strengthened by it's repeated usage of familiar samples and percussion. Listening to the PSU soundtrack (never played it), there's a lot of stuff that sounded like it could come from ANY game. They used a lot more worldly instruments for what I assume is the less futuristic locales in the game.

I hope we get remixes of old tunes too. Words cannot express the utter love I have for Jungle -A Forest Cage-.

Also I think hanging out in the hub will just be WRONG without a remix of Day Dawns. Something about those drums just... ugh. PSO1's soundtrack had a habit of being relaxing while just SOUNDING "big", you know? It really reflected the scale and vibe of each area. With the exception of a couple of boss tracks, every piece of music, for me, SOUNDED like the place LOOKED.

But yes, just use those drums and that a bit of usage of that one awkward sample that the Forest and Seabed battle themes used a lot. You know the one I mean.

They key difference between PSO's music and PSU's was PSO was dynamic (different theme faded in during battles and out when just roaming) whereas PSU's wasn't. This wouldn't be an issue.... if PSU's music didn't get so dang repetitive, like seriously I am hella sick of the moatoob desert song thing that plays in like 2000 missions.

So yeah, I hope they bring the dynamic music back.

• Thumbs Up 1