Awoo.

Phantasy Star Online 2! Open Beta now!

Dr. SEGA Monkey

So... torrenting the program files for this thing. Also, I already registered myself as a part of the open beta, but what else do I do? :D

So... torrenting the program files for this thing. Also, I already registered myself as a part of the open beta, but what else do I do? biggrin.png

If you were part of the OB and already have a character created that's it! :D all the data you had in the beta is saved and transferred to the full game so you don't have to remake or start grinding from 0, same goes for selected ship/guild/mag/room (but now you need AC to acces to it)/etc.

Edited by gato

If you were part of the OB and already have a character created that's it! biggrin.png all the data you had in the beta is saved and transferred to the full game so you don't have to remake or start grinding from 0, same goes for selected ship/guild/mag/room (but now you need AC to acces to it)/etc.

Oooooh! Thanks. What I meant was registering myself for the open beta, if I downloaded it, I would've GUSHED ABOUT IT A LONG TIME AGOHNGGGABHDUSHJDIJFDHGAJKSAJKK;

I really can't wait for the damn torrent to finish. :D What do I need to expect, anyway? I'm totally new to PS, PSO, PSU, PS0, and of course, PSO2.

I really can't wait for the damn torrent to finish. biggrin.png What do I need to expect, anyway? I'm totally new to PS, PSO, PSU, PS0, and of course, PSO2.

Oh man really? Like never played one ever? How good is your japanese? That's kind of a big question haha, I'm not sure what to say.

Normally I'd just suggest waiting for the English release because you're going to be pretty lost. If you're confident though expect a fun sci fi themed action RPG with a battle system that's a little bit Monster Hunter (tail breaking... etc) and a little bit DMC.

You should definitely read the guide Gato posted.

I've been trying to do Jean's first client order, but the method that the PSO blog says doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Oooooh! Thanks. What I meant was registering myself for the open beta, if I downloaded it, I would've GUSHED ABOUT IT A LONG TIME AGOHNGGGABHDUSHJDIJFDHGAJKSAJKK;

I really can't wait for the damn torrent to finish. biggrin.png What do I need to expect, anyway? I'm totally new to PS, PSO, PSU, PS0, and of course, PSO2.

If you haven't made a character yet then we have a bit of a problem, the main English ship (02) has blocked the entrance to any new players, Ship 10 (the other English ship) is doing fine though, so either you will have to wait 1 or 2 weeks at least for SEGA to open the floodgates or go to ship 10. (most of the SSMB group is in 02, but we don't get together as much as we would like to so you are not missing much tongue.png )

Other than that you need to make a character, you could use the ingame one but it's in japanese so unless you have a good grasp of the language you are going to have problems... The general recommendation is that you download the Character Creator demo that has an unofficial english patch available somewhere around here, make a character and save it, then you can use it in game (there are only 1 or 2 options not avaibale in the demo but they are easy to spot once you familiarized with the demo).

Once you are done, get here to know everything you need in order to run the game. (It's basically the closest thing we will have to an english manual)

Other than that I think you are good to go.

EDIT:

I've been trying to do Jean's first client order, but the method that the PSO blog says doesn't work. Any suggestions?

The substract/retrieve items? Uuuuuh, that one worked for me. unsure.png

Edited by gato

Ah, nevermind about Jean's requests. He doesn't give them in the order shown on the list. Goddamn it.

I've been kinda of alone, since I haven't found anybody from here, but I'm really liking the game.

Good decision starting to play now(specially after that piece of news).

Oh man really? Like never played one ever? How good is your japanese? That's kind of a big question haha, I'm not sure what to say.

Normally I'd just suggest waiting for the English release because you're going to be pretty lost. If you're confident though expect a fun sci fi themed action RPG with a battle system that's a little bit Monster Hunter (tail breaking... etc) and a little bit DMC.

You should definitely read the guide Gato posted.

へぇ、 そうなんか? 俺は十三年ぐらい日本語を勉強したけどっ。 ポケモンの日本語版と公文の宿題は俺の習う材料だ。英語版には待てないから、 そして新しいな日本人の友達を会いたい!  ウーリさんのSSMBバンナーが違う! もっと違う!wwww

Heehee. XD I'll ready the guide either way.

Edited by Lennox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Made my character ahead of time so I can just load her into the game as quick as possible as soon as character creation opens back up in Ship 2.

kikuri.png

I don't know anything about Phantasy Star apart from what I've seen of Portable 2, so is this game going to be like that and have a massive selection of in-game accessories and clothes you can buy in the shop? My favorite aspect of PSP2 was how customizable it was.

PSO2, I love you, but could you PLEASE stop throwing that damn rock monster at me in the forest missions? Please?

Seriously, I fought two of the damn things in one mission, and another in the next. And that was DURING a goddamn marathon of emergency code interrupts.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Made my character ahead of time so I can just load her into the game as quick as possible as soon as character creation opens back up in Ship 2.

kikuri.png

I don't know anything about Phantasy Star apart from what I've seen of Portable 2, so is this game going to be like that and have a massive selection of in-game accessories and clothes you can buy in the shop? My favorite aspect of PSP2 was how customizable it was.

Nice pick, Caseals (female robots for those not in the lore) are the most customizable variant of the race (the male robots, Casts, fall way behind the others in this regard).

As for what to purchase, as we stand right now you won't get a lot from the ingame shop, but most clothing selections come from the player shops, those who spend money in the Arks Scratch and got something they didn't want most of the time end up selling their stuff in their own shops (because selling then to the NPC is now worth it, only 100 meseta) and other players can access from it...

Keep in mind though, since this is a player shop the stock is limited, so once you catch something that interests you (and it's reasonably priced, I've seen people trying to sell common swords at 1 million X_x ) try to grab it as soon as you can, chaces are there are other players looking for it.

Also, the costume selection is not so big right now, the game just launched, as of right now we are in some kind of wedding season because everyone seems to be dressed for the special occasion. laugh.png (in one of my previous posts you can see a picture of my guild, and how I am the only one not suited up there).

PSO2, I love you, but could you PLEASE stop throwing that damn rock monster at me in the forest missions? Please?

Seriously, I fought two of the damn things in one mission, and another in the next. And that was DURING a goddamn marathon of emergency code interrupts.

The game sometimes likes to troll you like that laugh.png, but you'll learn to love those things as you go on, they give some spice to otherwise boring exp grinding runs (also, they give nice amounts of exp by themselves).

Also, one of the most interesting things happened last night... Have some pics!

NxnAb.jpg

First of all I got the Monoceros I always wanted! \(n_n)/

Then I caught someone casting... Megid... I thought that thing wasn't supposed to be out yet and I'd rather not think how he got it, but here he was, pretty much spamming the thing (like saying... "HA! HA! I CAN DO THIS AND YOU CAN'T!!1!")

KWFg6.jpg

hV2id.jpg

Strange, isn't it?

Remember to check the gallery for all the pics I don't post here (no, there are no NSFW pics... AFAIK)

Edited by gato

Alright, I'm ready! Locked and loaded.

Still can't get my character to move. XD Direct chatting is on. What do I do?

Alright, I'm ready! Locked and loaded.

Still can't get my character to move. XD Direct chatting is on. What do I do?

Direct chatting?

You mean the chat window? If that is just press ESC to close it.

I play with a gamepad TBH so I don't have to deal with chatting/moving issues that often, also, pressing the V key before starting to chat does wonders in a mission (press once tor auto walk, press twice to auto follow a nearby player).

Also, I take you are not in ship 02, otherwise I'd ask you to tell me where you are so I could meet up with you. tongue.png (despite being kind of busy right now >_>)

Edited by gato

Direct chatting?

You mean the chat window? If that is just press ESC to close it.

I play with a gamepad TBH so I don't have to deal with chatting/moving issues that often, also, pressing the V key before starting to chat does wonders in a mission (press once tor auto walk, press twice to auto follow a nearby player).

Also, I take you are not in ship 02, otherwise I'd ask you to tell me where you are so I could meet up with you. tongue.png (despite being kind of busy right now >_>)

Just started, in ship 10. About to start chapter 1, but how the hell do I save? XD

Just started, in ship 10. About to start chapter 1, but how the hell do I save? XD

Saving is automatic, every bit of EXP, meseta, items and other things you get are saved the moment you take them, same goes with every item sold and stuff like that.

MIssion wise, every time you complete a mission or objective in the matter board or client order (and any progress ou make on them) gets automatically saved, the only progress that would not get auto saved are quests, you need to fully complete a quest in order to get it's benefits (usually just meseta and unlocking more quests), all the other things you get while doing the quest get autosaved like I mentioned before.

Keep in mind though, this might also have a negative impact, every time you mess up at something like MAG feeding, item grinding or skill point distribution will also get autosaved. (and not all of those changes are reversible with Arks Cash)

BTW, since you are there, if you see a cast called Dr Lego tell him gato says hi. tongue.png

Edited by gato

kikuri.png

I'm pretty sure I just saw you standing around AFK in a lobby a little while ago but I'm not 100%. A definitely similar looking cast was there though.

I'm pretty sure I just saw you standing around AFK in a lobby a little while ago but I'm not 100%. A definitely similar looking cast was there though.

Nah, character creation is still blocked on Ship 2, so I'm waiting it out. I want to play, but there's no way in hell I'm going to a mostly Japanese server. :P

So anyway, I just got myself on an Arks Quest. I really don't know much about the Arks Lobby: what the hell's there, anyway? All I know is that you can change classes, you can shop, there's a medical center, floors devoted to characters of certain levels, my own room, and of course, there's the Quest area, but I don't know where the free field is/how to activate story quests.

What goes on there in the lobby, anyway?

Also, how do I add friends/why won't people chat/how do I make those awesome drawings that randomly pop up?

Is there a place where my questions can be answered?

Just fought and beat Caterdran, and holy shit, was that an intense fight. I only had Xeno for backup to do his client order, Rock Bears have nothing on that dragon.

Plus, a few pics I happened to take here and there...

pso20120708_011519_000.jpg

pso20120708_044826_001.jpg

pso20120708_221843_000.jpg

Also, one of the most interesting things happened last night... Have some pics!

NxnAb.jpg

First of all I got the Monoceros I always wanted! \(n_n)/

Then I caught someone casting... Megid... I thought that thing wasn't supposed to be out yet and I'd rather not think how he got it, but here he was, pretty much spamming the thing (like saying... "HA! HA! I CAN DO THIS AND YOU CAN'T!!1!")

KWFg6.jpg

hV2id.jpg

Strange, isn't it?

I here that is a gift form a force npc like those two light spells other people use.

So anyway, I just got myself on an Arks Quest. I really don't know much about the Arks Lobby: what the hell's there, anyway? All I know is that you can change classes, you can shop, there's a medical center, floors devoted to characters of certain levels, my own room, and of course, there's the Quest area, but I don't know where the free field is/how to activate story quests.

What goes on there in the lobby, anyway?

Also, how do I add friends/why won't people chat/how do I make those awesome drawings that randomly pop up?

Is there a place where my questions can be answered?

All of that is answered in the Bumped guide I posted.

But just because, here is a rough sketch and explanation of the lobby:

4BPXA.png

lol it looks like a face.

Here is the top floor, where you will be spending most of the time dancing.

Q = Quest Counter

K = Koffe Counter (chances are, you'll end up hating this woman... I'll tell you later why)

P = What I call the Player Coutner (Guild Counter, Class Counter and another counter I don't know what it does)

M = Medical Center (I still have to know a player who uses this)

In the Quest Counter you will get your first quests to do (in this order), Subdue Za Oodan, Subdue Fongalf, Dagan Extermination and Rappy Capture. (you need to clear one quest to unlock the other IIRC), once you cleared all of them Koffe will speak to you and give you the first of many painful level progression quests.

Go to the Koffe Counter if you see she has an icon above her head and she will give you one or 2 missions at this point, the first one requires that you have cleared all the previous quests and will ask you to S Rank Dagan Extermination in 10 minutes (you'll have a timer once you start the mission), Rappy Capture in 12 minutes and Collect 2 pieces of Data that should drop from golden boxes (chances are, you are going to make this one while trying the other 2, this one is easy), doing this will give you Forest Free Field.

The other mission requires you to be lvl 5 and you have to collect 10 fongalf fangs (once again, quite an easy mission), this one will give you a MAG.

That's barely the tip of the iceberg but it will get you started.

q1LOC.png

The lower side of the lobby isn't so important unless you are going to be using your room or doing client orders.

A = Armor shop (useless)

S = Supply shop (kind of useless since you can buy in the camp ship)

W = Weapon shop (also useless unless you want to purchase the basic Photon Arts and some food for your MAG)

L = Item Lab (you will hate the guy here, this is where you grind weapons and Tek the unknow rares you find)

You will notice a second S in the middle, that in part is a derp of mine because I couldn't think of another letter for the Supply Shop, but what you need to know is that in that central place is where you find Shion, clear the tutorial mission and go talk to her, she will give you the first matter board, it's going to take a lot of time to explain the objectives of it so I'll let Bumped's guide to cover you in this.Clear the yellow-ish spots in the board and you will be on your way to clear the first chapter. biggrin.png

I should probably mention, you might have noticed all the terminals with a green cube and a question mark all over the lobby, those are the storage and the visiphone. (the latter one would require a whole post on it's own, once again, look at Bumped's guide for help about this)

As for why people won't chat, I don't know... I've heard nothing but good things about Ship 10's community, try to be at block 20/21 since this is where the english players hang out.

The symbol art is another matter too, I don't think Bumped has a guide for that one, it's like your own mini paint, tomorrow I will make you a tutorial with screens about how to access the menu and how to import the pictures everyone is using. smile.png

Just fought and beat Caterdran, and holy shit, was that an intense fight. I only had Xeno for backup to do his client order, Rock Bears have nothing on that dragon.

Yeah, Rockies are a pushover once you learn how little variety on attacks they have, Kathies on the other hand are a bit more wild, since you have to be close to them and they are so large you don't always catch the cues about what they are going to do (they become especially annoying in group).

Let me tell you this though, in what is out of the game so far you will fight nothing like the Tundra boss (the big panther thingie, that most of us have nicknamed "Simba" and "Mufasa"), that thing is vicious and is especially hard to land a hit on it while being a hunter (I think Forces and some good rifle rangers have the upper hand in this battle).

I here that is a gift form a force npc like those two light spells other people use.

TBH, I'm expecting something like that, I don't like to jump conclusions and call HAX at the first thing I don't understand.

Also, the screens of the day, nothing eventful happened yesterday:

2bEi3.jpg

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5kVDQ.jpg

Okay, maybe I had a tiny PSE Burst.

Edited by gato

Jesus Christ that is a lot of loot.

Yeah, Rockies are a pushover once you learn how little variety on attacks they have, Kathies on the other hand are a bit more wild, since you have to be close to them and they are so large you don't always catch the cues about what they are going to do (they become especially annoying in group).

Noted, though I already have a strategy for dealing with the beasties. Stick to their sides like glue whenever possible (less likely to hit you and they'll expose their weak points often), and it never hurts to dodge a lot, either.

Let me tell you this though, in what is out of the game so far you will fight nothing like the Tundra boss (the big panther thingie, that most of us have nicknamed "Simba" and "Mufasa"), that thing is vicious and is especially hard to land a hit on it while being a hunter (I think Forces and some good rifle rangers have the upper hand in this battle).

Ah, that's probably gonna be a pain in the ass. My photon art of choice, though, might make things easier, what with the whole 'sword beam' thing that has a surprisingly wide hitbox. If uses right, it can wreck entire groups of foes. It also is incredibly good at cutting tall grass.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Is it normal to be killed so easily bin the early portion of the game? Also, is there a lock-on to an enemy target feature?

I fucking hate Zauudas. No, really. I'm that weak and half-assed.

Edited by Lennox