Awoo.

FIRST REVIEW SCORE: NGamer 86%

SilentDoom

The UK Magazine NGamer have given Sonic Colours a score of 86%.

Here's the summarising quote from the mag:

“Colours rockets Sonic closer to the stratospheric heights of past glories and hints at a great future. Welcome back, old friend. It’s been too long.”

Here is the majority of the review here! (Credits go to sonicka from ONM, thanks mate):

- "What if Sonic were to play Mario at his own game and gain a little ground? ...the result is Sonic Colours."

- "The Similarity to the Mario Galaxy Games is it's abundance of ideas. This is Sonic Team in an uncharacteristically creative and generous mood. It's one that suits them well. The addition of the power-altering wisps is what does it."

- "These aren't powerups, they're toys - single-use shots of pure fun that have the happy side effect of opening up new pathways in already pleasingly labyrinthine stages."

- "The lists of powers goes on and on, and backtracking to find new areas in which to use them is a big part of the fun."

- "Crucially, the Wisps don't sacrifice Sonic's speed; they simply reveal more runways for him to work on. And that's brilliant. Speed alone reduces gameplay to a simple progression of left to right, but moments of calm exploration add texture and a sense of adventure."

- "The environments are every bit as playful as the new wisp powers ... each of them is packed with stages large and small ... some are built with one idea stretched to the limit; others are constructed solely to test just how robust the new wisp powers are."

- "The result is a series of intricate and occasionally extremely tricky levels."

- "Again, we're reminded of Mario Galaxy, particularly when Sonic plummets off the bottom of the screen for the umpteenth time and we get exasperated at our own lack of skill rather than the unfairness of the game."

- "Better yet, every stage compels you to push harder, aim higher. Maintain that speed, keep your eyes open, cross any available digits and you'll see wonders."

- "The world is there to be reduced to a blur or discovered; to be sped through or explored to your satisfaction for an improved rank and more hidden medals. The choice is yours."

- "Find enough of those medals and you'll unlock Game World, a Sonic shaped satellite that houses Eggman's Sonic simulator."

- "As a multiplayer game Sonic Colours is less than perfect (the speedy action often results in a game of tug of war using the screen as a rope)."

- The ability to swap Sonic for your Miis means there's still throwaway fun to be had." (in multiplayer)

- "If the 2D sections reconfirm Sonic as a true platforming superstar and make a virtue of his speed, the 3D sections can be more problematic. Kinetic, beautiful, and dizzying. Perhaps it's because the sort of precision we demand just isn't compatible with speed. To be fair, Sonic Colours does a good job of making these sections work but the result is stages that can feel on rails or, worse, railed for safety. But while still not perfect, they are definitely the best of Sonic's career to date."

- "Much of the game plays out in 2D."

- "The storytelling here is *gasp* rather good. Humour is the strong point and even Tails manages to be less nauseating than usual."

- "For the most part Sonic Colours is big on spectacle, so it's odd that the bosses are so lightweight. What good ideas are here (sabotaging a huge battleship before taking on its clockwork captain) are repeated."

- "Only the Starlight Carnival Boss, an immense warship, really pushed our skills by constantly switching from 2D to 3D."

- "But these are minor niggles in an otherwise first rate package."

- "Sonic Colours' greatest achievement, then, is in handing back control to the player without losing that queasy feeling that you're about to go off the rails."

- "Sonic's ditched the J-Rock for a full on orchestra, with impressively catchy results."

Summary - "Colours Rockets Sonic closer to the stratospheric heights of past glories and hints at a great future. Welcome back old friend, it's been to long."

What do you guys think? Are you happy with the score? Personally I chuffed :D

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 5

Scan brother, SCAN!!!!!!!!

I want to read the whole thing, and I doubt you'd be bothered to type out an entire article by yourself.

Don't Nintendo magazines usually give Sonic games better scores? The one I read hasn't given any of them a low score since Shadow, I believe. Black Knight got 82%! I remember someone saying something like this around here :-/

Still, even so, it's nice to see Sonic games getting good scores, and I do think it's because the game is actually good. I am happy :) Kind of too bad with the 3D sections. Sonic Team really needs to work on that, because having the 3D games be really good because of the 2D sections isn't a very good thing, in my opinion.

Unfortunately I myself do not have the mag. However I do know people that do. I will attempt to get a scan as soon as possible ;)

Don't Nintendo magazines usually give Sonic games better scores? The one I read hasn't given any of them a low score since Shadow, I believe. Black Knight got 82%! I remember someone saying something like this around here :-/

Still, even so, it's nice to see Sonic games getting good scores, and I do think it's because the game is actually good. I am happy Kind of too bad with the 3D sections. Sonic Team really needs to work on that, because having the 3D games be really good because of the 2D sections isn't a very good thing, in my opinion.

Actually NGamer gave Sonic Unleashed 58% and Black Knight 56%. So the fact that their score is so much higher here than with those two games shows that this potentially is gonna be a great game.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Unfortunately I myself do not have the mag. However I do know people that do. I will attempt to get a scan as soon as possible ;)

Actually NGamer gave Sonic Unleashed 58% and Black Knight 56%. So the fact that their score is so much higher here than with those two games shows that this potentially is gonna be a great game.

Ok, that's good to know.

By the way, wasn't ONM supposed to have the world exclusive first review? xD

Ok, that's good to know.

By the way, wasn't ONM supposed to have the world exclusive first review? xD

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!

Looks like their plans have been foiled.

- They also commented on the fact that some of the boss ideas are rehashed

I doubt the article says it but I'm going to ask anyway...

Are the bosses rehashed from other games (like Sonic 4, where you fight older bosses with some twists) or are they rehashed from the same game (like Unleashed, where you had to fight 1 boss, then another, then with the same bosses combined)?

Other than that I will save my comments 'till I can read the scans.

EDIT: May I suggest that we make this topic the official "Sonic Colours review topic"?

Edited by gato

Still, even so, it's nice to see Sonic games getting good scores, and I do think it's because the game is actually good. I am happy :) Kind of too bad with the 3D sections. Sonic Team really needs to work on that, because having the 3D games be really good because of the 2D sections isn't a very good thing, in my opinion.

EDIT: May I suggest that we make this topic the official "Sonic Colours review topic"?

Edited by Shaddix

Yay! I hope for more good reviews. I'm not surprised about the 3D sections though.

Edited by Torcano

I forgot the UK edition of NGamer comes out on a Saturday. I'd go out and get it now and scan it, but I can't afford to waste £5.99 on a magazine for one article at the moment.

Shit I would. I'll find out if I can. I have a 3 Tesco's nearby, so I'll just pop over there and see if its there.

What is it? Ngamer?

EDIT: Fuck. Nowhere to be found

Edited by Scar

I bet Nintendo Power will give it an 8. They've given every single Sonic game for the longest time an 8. :lol: It's funny because when the next game is announced they bitch about the last one to try and make the new game sound better, but then still give the new game an 8. Nintendo Power has a Sonic Cycle of their very own. :lol:

Edit: Gah, meant to put this in the review thread. XD Time for a copy/paste!

Edited by speedfreak

They actually quite liked the dialogue and story? thats new! They almost always complain about that. I guess the madworld writers did a great job! :)

Shit I would. I'll find out if I can. I have a 3 Tesco's nearby, so I'll just pop over there and see if its there.

What is it? Ngamer?

Yep, NGamer. Most supermarkets sell it. It's another one of those magazines wrapped in thick plastic and normally comes with a few free gifts, too.

So I'm guessing the dialogue and jokes isn't as cringe worthy like Nintendo Power has put it? But I think at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste. Some people might find them lame while other might find them funny.

Edited by sonfan1984

Yep, NGamer. Most supermarkets sell it. It's another one of those magazines wrapped in thick plastic and normally comes with a few free gifts, too.

Sadly the Tesco Metros near where I live don't stock it.

I'll try at the larger ones tomorrow

Ok guys, got the majority of the review in the OP. Turns out that you CAN play as Miis in the multiplayer

NGamer aint like other Nintendo magazines; their basically the Nintendo arm of CVG. They've given plenty of Sonic and Nintendo games lousy reviews, so this is promising.

What did NGamer give Sonic 4? And do they have a review of the DS version?

Looking through the rest of the review makes me even more excited than before. I can't wait to play this ^^

And great to hear that Tails' character was improved. He was once my second favorite character (My favorite in modern games till Heroes), but they ruined him in most games.

Edited by MarcelloF

What did NGamer give Sonic 4? And do they have a review of the DS version?

Well, CVG gave it an 8.2 (to the PS3 version)

So I guess they are on par. :)

inb4 exclamations for a 3D Sonic game doing as good as a 2D one.

despite being too early for that.

Edited by gato