Awoo.

Cutscene Reveal

Detective Shadzter

The hedgehog engine is really shinging here, it seems flawless with the animation. Loving it.

SONIC COLORS DOES NOT USE THE HEDGEHOG ENGINE.

THE NEXT PERSON TO EVEN IMPLY THAT IT DOES IS GETTING MY FOOT UP THEIR ASS.

Seriously people, it's a graphics engine that produces Unleashed HD level graphics. There is nearly no possibly way to get it onto the Wii.

I get increasingly mad when almost every other person thinks that it's being used here. It's not. Seriously guys.

nerd raeg ovar now.

Edited by Galaxy Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

The hedgehog engine is really shinging here, it seems flawless with the animation. Loving it.

That wouldn't make sense even if this game did use the Hedgehog Engine. The Hedgehog Engine is only graphics (lighting is it's main thing) and was developed for the PS3 and 360. The Wii isn't powerful enough to handle it.

Edited by Blue Blood

Oh hey new cutscene! Woo woo.

Hrm. Well. I'm not all too fond of Sonic's voice. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually, but it's so radically different to any past voice Sonic has ever had it's ludicrous. For further elaboration, please see Aerosol's sentiments on this.

As for the writing - I don't like it either. Why - even with the "aliens" thing. Sonic grabs onto new terminology very quickly, whether it be some extradimensional genie's given title or the proper name of some magical multicoloured minerals. It's just odd that he wouldn't just grab onto "Wisps", even refusing to call them so and giving them the blanket term of "aliens". He's respectful of things like that. Just seems out of character to me.

I really don't see why Tails would even bother reading the second obviously incorrect translation after reading the correct translation out loud just fine. I mean, he could have just glanced at that and realized that it was way off and just stopped there.

Bah.

Edited by HunterTSF

Didn't SEGA already say that Sonic Colours is using a completely new engine?

At the same time, a Sega rep demo-ing Colors a while back was caught on video pointing out that the Team managed to get the H. Engine working on the Wii. Weather he meant a doppelganger engine or the real deal can't really be verified from that, so take from it what you will.

We've gotten more than a few stupid reps recently (not talking to you aauk) all over the industry I noticed. He's more than likely blowing shit he didn't really know about.

SEGA would like you to know that all these stupid reps are women.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey new cutscene! Woo woo.

Hrm. Well. I'm not all too fond of Sonic's voice. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually, but it's so radically different to any past voice Sonic has ever had it's ludicrous. For further elaboration, please see Aerosol's sentiments on this.

As for the writing - I don't like it either. Why - even with the "aliens" thing. Sonic grabs onto new terminology very quickly, whether it be some extradimensional genie's given title or the proper name of some magical multicoloured minerals. It's just odd that he wouldn't just grab onto "Wisps", even refusing to call them so and giving them the blanket term of "aliens". He's respectful of things like that. Just seems out of character to me.

I really don't see why Tails would even bother reading the second obviously incorrect translation after reading the correct translation out loud just fine. I mean, he could have just glanced at that and realized that it was way off and just stopped there.

Bah.

New writers dude.

I'm sure they've done their research, but they probably don't know every nuance of Sonic's character, and besides, I'm sure they want to show their own unique take on his.

That voice certainly is different, and it will take some getting used to. It's insanely awesome, but it's weird not hearing the strained vocals of Ryan and Griffith. Tails however... perfect. Cute and child-like without sounding like a brat. The scene itself was captivating, and it's obvious to see that they've changed the writers and the characters personalities, not that thats a bad thing. Subtle jokes tied in to the dialogue are certainly ten times better than a random scene of chip pretending to die which adds nothing to the story, and most of all no humor.

Roll on Sonic Colours Day! (STILL waiting for a full DECENT version of 'Reach for the stars' :()

On the contrary, Sonic has had trouble with bizarre vocabulary words in the past. The Rukh=bird-thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I met Roger today at the MCM expo in London. Hes a really nice guy and was very happy to talk about voicing Sonic.

Without me even mentioning the deepness of his Sonic voice he said he had been told by Sega that they wanted Sonic to sound older. From what he said it sounds like Sega consider this to be an important factor in the current relaunch of Sonic.

So there you go, the deeper voice is what Sega wants, so it looks like it will be staying,

Edited by Doctor Sοnic
  • Thumbs Up 5

I met Roger today at the MCM expo in London. Hes a really nice guy and was very happy to talk about voicing Sonic.

Without me even mentioning the deepness of his Sonic voice he said he had been told by Sega that they wanted Sonic to sound older. From what he said it sounds like Sega consider this to be an important factor in the current relaunch of Sonic.

So there you go, the deeper voice is what Sega wants, so it looks like it will be staying,

You know what? I don't mind that, not, one, bit, I mean, Mario's old, and he has some of the most colorful environments in gaming history, hopefully people aren't thinking that just because Sonic's probably older that he'll act older, in fact, Sonic seems a little more sarcastic in this game, like his Genesis self.

Interesting to hear that. I wonder why they want him to sound older. Roger pulled it off though. He still sound like Sonic, even if nothing like the previous actors.

On the contrary, Sonic has had trouble with bizarre vocabulary words in the past. The Rukh=bird-thing.

...and yet one sentence after that he corrects himself by referring to it by its proper name.

We need that magic carpet! We've got ourselves a Rukh to track down!

Interesting to see that SEGA actually requested Sonic to sound older, though. Is this solely out of preference, or do they want to show that Sonic has canonically aged? I IS CURIOUS.

If the later then I'm okay with the deepness. Still don't like the characterization of Sonic so far though.

Edited by HunterTSF

Still don't like the characterization of Sonic so far though.

What's wrong with it? He's acted like this before.

That's interesting. It works with Sonic, though I'm not quite hearing the old, I just hear deep. Ah, well, whatever. I can dig it.

Edited by Ryusuke

I wonder if this means that Sonic actually aged...

interestedcat.jpg

If Sonic indeed aged (wich I doubt), this could be a chance to introduce some good ol' character development. :o

EDIT: late edit was late, sorry, my internet failed me.

Edited by el gato del eje

I really like the voices, and the script was dead funny. Awesome all around. My only minor minor gripe is that the 4th wall breaking came across a little cheesy and patronising (sort of a *wink wink nudge nudge* aside that I don't really care for). But that aside, new voices = ♥!

Actually I thought the breaking of the fourth wall was kinda cute. Kinda like how Sonic did the same thing in the first episode of Sonic X.

Sonic: "Kids, never chase a speeding hedgehog in a souped up racecar." lol cause "thats NO GOOD!" rotfl

Yayy I love the new Tails, he sounds so much more natural, so much more like a kid. Yeah gonna have to echo what everyone else is saying about Sonic: sounds much better but it is going to take some getting used to. I'm definetly buying this game now. :D

That's interesting. The unedited Alton Towers clips were a bit lighter, so I'm guessing SEGA may have listened to those over and over again and felt it wasn't right going forward.

This is horrible news for me. Nintendo has never up and decided that Mario needed to sound older. He has sounded the same since Mario 64. And don't gimme that "It's been the same voice actor though" nonsense. Smith has shown that he's capable of matching the tone of voice Sonic has had for years. Sega told him to take it down an octave. There better be a good explanation for this.

Well looks like Sonic's finally grown up. I wonder is Sega going to changed his age, too.

Have been wondering that myself.

You know what? I don't mind that, not, one, bit, I mean, Mario's old, and he has some of the most colorful environments in gaming history, hopefully people aren't thinking that just because Sonic's probably older that he'll act older, in fact, Sonic seems a little more sarcastic in this game, like his Genesis self.

Yes, I think they're definitely trying to return to how Sonic was in the 90s.

Interesting to hear that. I wonder why they want him to sound older. Roger pulled it off though. He still sound like Sonic, even if nothing like the previous actors.

I agree, he definitely pulled it off, though to me he sounds alot like a deeper Jaleel White.

This is horrible news for me. Nintendo has never up and decided that Mario needed to sound older. He has sounded the same since Mario 64. And don't gimme that "It's been the same voice actor though" nonsense. Smith has shown that he's capable of matching the tone of voice Sonic has had for years. Sega told him to take it down an octave. There better be a good explanation for this.

There is. Sonic isn't Mario. Mario is an icon. Sonic is a character.

Edited by BD3

I can tell you for a fact that the bold statement is not true.

In fact, his voice has gotten progressively squeakier and higher pitched as the games have gone on.

Seriously, go ahead and compare Mario's voice from Mario 64 to Mario Galaxy.

That's because Mario's voice is old already. It gets high pitched, but it's certainly nothing like a child or a teenager's voice. Mario sounds like a man, not a child. Also Nintendo is afraid of change.

Sonic however, has sounded not even remotely human for the past forever. Making his voice more like his age, and making him not so "Whhhoooaaaa" (actually something more like griffith's worth than smith's) is a good move. It also helps that Smith can actually act, unlike literally every voice actor Sonic has ever had.