Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kinect not required!

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/sonicfreeriders/index.html?tag=result;title;0&tag=stitialclk;gamespace

Just under the box art there's a link that says Kinect Compatible. If you roll your mouse over it it says 'Kinect Compatible but the game can be used playing a standard controller'

I'm not sure if this100% confirms it but still...

Sounds good for all the people not wanting to purchase kinect then eh?

also lol first post

Edited by w00tkins

Posted

997715_171874_front.jpg

it says kinect required on the Box art.

Posted

I'm calling for a website error. I mean, the boxart itself says that it requires kinect, after all!

I don't think it's all that likely that any kinect games will offer a standard control scheme, to be honest. People are already speculating that the success or failure of kinect could make or break Microsoft's future in the console industry- they can't afford for it to do badly, really. They need games that are going to sell the peripheral, and nobody's going to buy kinect itself if the games can be used with a regular controller, are they?

I mean, it'd be nice if they did, but it looks pretty unlikely.

Posted

Ah yes I suppose you're right. Most likely gamespot's error.

As you said, pretty slim chances of it happening. Damn. I was excited there for a second :P

Still, a man can dream....

Posted (edited)

Would be epic, but I'm afraid it's just a website fail. D:

And, welcome to the forums!

Edited by Kjeldo
w00tkins likes this

Posted

Why does Sonic wear glasses on his head that he never puts over his eyes? They wouldn't even cover his eyes anyway. At least Knuckles is keeping it real.

Posted

Why does Sonic wear glasses on his head that he never puts over his eyes? They wouldn't even cover his eyes anyway. At least Knuckles is keeping it real.

Posted (edited)

To be honest, I think Microsoft would want to make sure SEGA doesn't have any kind of alternative control methods, since this is supposed to be one of Kinect's few launch titles, and in my opinion the only decent-looking one.

EDIT: Although, not to get anyone's hopes up or anything, but it could also be an error on the boxart as well- something that's just printed on Kinect games by default. I know of a ton of Wii Virtual Console games that say "you will require the Classic Controller" when you really don't.

Edited by The Soldier

Posted

At first I was like :D

Then I was like :(

Hopefully it is a box art error. I doubt it will be, but it's nice to have hope.

Posted

I'll go ahead and say Sonic Free Riders looks like a Sonic Riders game I might enjoy and will probably be the best game on the Kinect. Another thing that should be noted that I'll only enjoy it for a hour and will most likely go back and play Sonic Colors instead.

Posted

It's a mistake by Gamespot. The cover says "Requires Kinect Sensor" Kinect optional games have this mark "Better With Kinect Sensor":

349497ps_500h.jpg

SEGA said ages back that it requires Kinect too:

@SEGA does sonic free riders for kinect is it possible to use just the control? like for those who cant afford a new 360 and kinect?

@sonicfan1989 No, you will need Kinect to play Sonic Free Riders. ^kellie

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/2010/06/sega-confirms-no-control-pad-option-for-sonic-free-riders/

Posted

:D

*Reads other posts*

:(

I was going to buy an Xbox 360, damn D:

Posted

:D

*Reads other posts*

:(

I was going to buy an Xbox 360, damn D:

I recommend a PS3 if you don't have one, tons of great exclusives, free online, and if you get a specific model, you can play your PS2 games on it(PS1 games work on all models).

Posted

Meh, PlayStation games don't interest me.

Plus, backup games can't be played on the PS3. And an original game costs $100 here.

Posted (edited)

Me: *Turns head wildly* :V

Then: D:

I swear I was gonna post this this morning, 'just didn't feel like it, crap, now it looks like I'm jumping on a bandwagon when I should be the one driving it. :U

Edited by Infernal Ferno

Posted

I imagine SEGA and Microsoft had a deal to keep Free Riders Kinect only to sell units.

If Free Riders didn't need it, then there would be no need to buy a kinect.

Given how popular and IP Sonic is, it will probably shift units for Microsoft.

Posted

snzzuf.jpg

Damn mahn I was really hoping that they added a Controller option =( DAMN YOUUUUU!!!

Posted

I'll go ahead and say Sonic Free Riders looks like a Sonic Riders game I might enjoy and will probably be the best game on the Kinect.

Anyway this is a pretty dumb choice considering Zero Gravity had options for both standard and motion control, and the latter was handled pretty poorly.

Posted

If there was a controller option, none of you would buy a Kinect, which is the entire point of the game.

Posted

If there was a controller option, none of you would buy a Kinect, which is the entire point of the game.

Ssssssshhhhhhh... Don't let them know Free Riders is just a gimmick for sales, it's too much truth, just let them buy the expensive as hell add on for one game.

Ebby likes this

Posted

I love how everyone hot excited about not using the Kinect, only to be pissed off even more.

Posted

I love how everyone hot excited about not using the Kinect, only to be pissed off even more.

I know, it's quite funny, isn't it?

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who pretty much figured that it would be an error on the news source's part as soon as I read the topic title? If Kinect wasn't required, they'd probably port it to the other consoles and use Kinect as a gimmick to make the Xbox version stand out or something like that. But it's still pretty disappointing since it means I can't play the game on a friend's Xbox unless they get Kinect, which they probably won't. So I guess I'll have to miss out on this unless an angel of interactive gameplay entertainment smiles down upon me and feels pity on my soul.

Edited by Akito

Posted

SEGA's Kellie has AGAIN confirmed that Kinect is required:

Kinect is REQUIRED to play Sonic Free Riders. It is not controller compatible.

We will follow up with Gamespot to get their website corrected.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?350474-Sonic-Free-Riders-is-Controller-Compatible-(Thank-God)&p=6313359&viewfull=1#post6313359

Posted

Well I got a tad excited for that... and then... excitement gone!

My money will go to Sonic Colors and Sonic Colors only.