Awoo.

Reviews Thread

Barry the Nomad

Probably e), since it was already stated (in the bios Woun got from the site) that Vector is there because he was hired by Amy. (with cold hard cash)

Oh, must have missed that.

.....New Question: Where did Amy get the cash? I can't exactly imagine where she would have the time to get the money, since she chases Sonic so much.

The exact wording in the profile was:

This strong-armed, big-hearted croc with a short fuse and an endless greed for cold hard cash couldn’t refuse Amy’s offer to join her team.

...the "cold hard cash" thing is only listed as a trait of the character, not as part of Amy's offer. It's definitely possible that she got him to join that way, but it's not certain.

.....New Question: Where did Amy get the cash? I can't exactly imagine where she would have the time to get the money, since she chases Sonic so much.

Some misteries are better left unsolved...

Ahem...

---

Maybe she pays with rings. You can find trails of them dropped on the floor if you know where to look for. (and if you are chasing Sonic, there is a big chance that you might find them)

Weird; it seems like they only played the story mode without touching the other modes at all. The review only mentions missions, and claims that only one character can use a bike (Vector, I guess?). I can't begrudge them the score if they found the controls unresponsive, since with a Kinect game that's sort of the whole point, but it's a bit irksome that they didn't even mention the game's other modes.

Edited by Octarine

game informer has been very shitty lately...never take them seriously at all.

Can't say I'm surprised to see a rather awful review. It is Sonic Riders and it is Kinect, after all.

Each to their own I suppose.

In fairness, the review itself isn't horrible for something so brief (in b4 he said coins). I was surprised by IGN's 7.5/10, but not by this 2/10.

Edited by Blue Blood

Posted this over at SEGAbits but I'll post it here too:

While I have read two mediocre to negative reviews for Free Riders, I really have to question if "steep learning curve", "not casual friendly" and "exhausting" are bad things (the major reasons for the poor scores). I'd actually prefer a Kinect game that I'd have to master rather than a racer like Joy Ride that basically hands you first place (check out the first timers smoking the competition in Joy Ride preview videos). Marking a game down for being "exhausting" is something I think quite a bit of Kinect games will have to get used to. How are readers to know if the writer is in fact a 5'7" 250 lb dude who hates working out? Some people hate working out, and in turn I think we'll be seeing game scores suffer as such, which really is a shame and says a lot about society nowadays.

Real world example: I use an elliptical three days a week for thirty minutes and it is quite easy and rather enjoyable. Meanwhile a few weeks back I worked out next to a woman who was clearly out of shape. After 10 minutes she got off, sweaty and out of breath and said "How can anybody do that! It's exhausting! Ooof!"

Also, it seems that if you set up your Kinect incorrectly, you'll receive poor input, thus poor controls. For all we know, the Joystiq reviewer was out of shape, the G4 reivewer had theirs improperly set up and the IGN reviewer was both in shape AND had it set up correctly. Point is, I think Kinect reviews will depend on a lot more variables than standard controller games. I demand a full body shot of the reviewer and their play environment before trusting a score! B)

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if anyone noticed that the review talked about NOTHING but the controls. The problem didn't sound like it was the game's fault, but the fact that he just didn't like using the Kinect.

Or did I honestly skip an extra page or something? Because all I see is a rant on the controls.

I got the impression that the controls were ALL he talked about, and their overall unresponsiveness.

The problem is that the controls are extremely sensitive.

I don't know what it is-- but if I'm standing in a position that the camera considers "Awkward", my character will /freak/ out.

I've gotten used to things such as turning corners, which was hard for me in the beginning-- but for some weird reason the character will randomly kickdash when I didn't even gesture for it, wasting all my air and ruining the race for me.

--and sometimes he'll just outright stop, which is getting really frustrating because the only way to brake/stop is to completely face the camera--- which.. well-- i'm not doing.

This "Challenge" i'm going through right now is finding a good angle so that the camera can properly read my movements.

I'll have races that go really smoothly and others that just end in disaster.

While I have read two mediocre to negative reviews for Free Riders, I really have to question if [...] and "exhausting" are bad things (the major reasons for the poor scores).

Yes, yes they are bad things.

Marking a game down for being "exhausting" is something I think quite a bit of Kinect games will have to get used to. How are readers to know if the writer is in fact a 5'7" 250 lb dude who hates working out? Some people hate working out, and in turn I think we'll be seeing game scores suffer as such, which really is a shame and says a lot about society nowadays.

Which is precisely the problem with Kinect in the first place. Basically this.

To summerize:

"In the long term people want to play games the same way they want to read a book or watch TV; slouched on the 'couch' with a big bag of Malteasers. How on Earth do you think forcing them to do a sit-up every now and again is going to revolutionize entertainment."

Also, it seems that if you set up your Kinect incorrectly, you'll receive poor input, thus poor controls. For all we know, the Joystiq reviewer was out of shape, the G4 reivewer had theirs improperly set up and the IGN reviewer was both in shape AND had it set up correctly. Point is, I think Kinect reviews will depend on a lot more variables than standard controller games.

Which is another big problem in and of itself. This system is constantly marketed as a "casual gaming experience" and "fun for the whole family" yet it requires a lot higher maintenance than most normal consoles these days which were as simple as 'plug-in-and-play'.

Really, how long are these gaming companies gonna force this motion control bullshit down are throat and get back to making GAMES. A simple controller was a perfect way to connect the player to the game, and it hasn't failed us since the Atari 2600.

I demand a full body shot of the reviewer and their play environment before trusting a score! cool.gif

I demand game companies to stop making games about controllers and make them about GAMES.

Dunno if this had been posted (can't be arsed checking XD) but Kotaku reviewed it and said....

Sonic Free Riders is the most broken of the Kinect games I've played and that includes a half-dozen titles. It's unfortunate, because another strong action racing game would be a nice addition to Kinect's game library. If Sega can somehow fix the control issues I'd be the first to recommend picking up this game. Until then don't waste your time or money.

I'm not sure what to think. Part of me wonders if improper setup (or not fully completing the calibration processes) played a part in lower review scores. CVG's Kinect review noted that Kinect learns as you play, making the experience better as you use it. I wonder if that translates over to games, and perhaps proper calibration, proper space and proper lighting would create a more ideal gameplay experience. Hell, I'll buy brither bulbs and rotate my coffee table if it means a more accurate Free Riders experience. B)

OXM's written review if it hasn't been shared yet:

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/s-z/sonic-free-riders

7.5/10

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Dunno if this had been posted (can't be arsed checking XD) but Kotaku reviewed it and said....

DAMN IT SHADDIX, YOU DIDN'T MENTION THEY HAVE A NEW GAMEPLAY VIDEO!! :lol:

DAMN IT SHADDIX, YOU DIDN'T MENTION THEY HAVE A NEW GAMEPLAY VIDEO!! :lol:

Reeeeeeady? Reeeeeeady?

Not the best direction for the voices. >.>