Awoo.

Reviews Thread

Barry the Nomad

DAMN IT SHADDIX, YOU DIDN'T MENTION THEY HAVE A NEW GAMEPLAY VIDEO!! :lol:

Oooh did they I must of not notice it before..well THERE A NEW GAMEPLAY VIDEO THERE... XD BLAME TOMB RAIDER ANNIVERSARY I was playing that the time I came across that on Twitter lol

Edited by Shaddix

Roger coughing as Sonic is pretty funny :lol: The repetitive "Reaaady?" line can get a bit annoying, too.

It's really not /just/ the kinect.

I played some Kinect Adventures, one of the launch titles that comes in the bundle-- and that game works really well without having to mess around with your position and calibrating or any of that shit. So I know the Kinect is capable of making a game like this work-- I'm pretty sure it's mostly the game's fault for having such tricky-ass, sensitive controls. But I believe that's only because it's trying something new and being different-- which is something I can appreciate.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/11/sonic-free-riders-barely-works-shows-issue-with-kinect-jumping.ars

It's like going back to the first Riders. Some people love it like myself, others hate it because they hate the control scheme. Obviously there are problems with the Kinect set up. We've got some good scores of 7.5 for this game, which is reasonable considering this is no Mario Kart/All Stars Racing, and others such as the 1 out of 5. Surely the game can't be that different for multiple people? If I were to guess I'd say it was a lighting issue. Cam footage we've seen shows the game working fairly well, with the odd hiccup here and there. Nothing that devalues the game to the bargain bin anyway. I'd love to buy it and give it a go for myself, but I can't justify the £130 price tag without SFR.

The Giant Bomb preview seemed to go rather well, especially considering the lack of mobility the previewer had in his movements.

Kotaku gave their review:

Broken controls are broken.

The most jarring part of the review is the last line:

"Sonic Free Riders is the most broken of the Kinect games I've played and that includes a half-dozen titles. It's unfortunate, because another strong action racing game would be a nice addition to Kinect's game library. If Sega can somehow fix the control issues I'd be the first to recommend picking up this game. Until then don't waste your time or money."

edge_2.jpg

NINJA'D

Edited by Kintobor

Kotaku gave their review:

Broken controls are broken.

The most jarring part of the review is the last line:

"Sonic Free Riders is the most broken of the Kinect games I've played and that includes a half-dozen titles. It's unfortunate, because another strong action racing game would be a nice addition to Kinect's game library. If Sega can somehow fix the control issues I'd be the first to recommend picking up this game. Until then don't waste your time or money."

Edited by Shaddix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ouch.

Looks like Gametrailers can't stand the controls or menus either. Are they really that bad?

Probably why there grandmother played.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have noticed with every gameplay trailer from this game people bump into the walls at a high percentage rate. These are not people who are probably bad at playing games, but with the control reviews for this game I would have to say they [the controls] are pretty horrid.

Not even starting out with the Wii wheel was I constantly crashing into the walls.

I moved my Xbox/Kinect set out into the living room where it's alot more spacious. This game's controls work ALOT better when you have space. I had virtually no trouble at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even with that low score, I still wouldn't mind checking this game out.

I can definately imagine that playing Kinect in wide open space makes things a whole lot better, and if I played this in my living room downstairs it'd sure play better than in my ever so squished room lol (though sadly my Step Dad dislikes the idea of games being played downstairs so I probably will never get it).

It's kinda sad to see the game being hit hard with negative reviews, since I will admit that if I was able to give this game ago, I would just for laughs. :D

I have noticed with every gameplay trailer from this game people bump into the walls at a high percentage rate. These are not people who are probably bad at playing games, but with the control reviews for this game I would have to say they [the controls] are pretty horrid.

Not even starting out with the Wii wheel was I constantly crashing into the walls.

I thought you were talking about bumping into walls in real life at first. When I read the Wii Wheel part I just thought, "How the hell is she playing?!"

Edited by MarcelloF

GamesMaster haven't reviewed it properly, but they gave it 3/5 stars. They say the game is very exhausting, but no mention of poor controls. They recommend it over Joy Ride.

Just found this through N4G. Common Sense Media give it a 2/5:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/sonic-free-riders

It appears to be a parental advice site and it shows with the categories and stuff. I found the Sex part quite funny. I wonder who they're referring to :lol:

Sex: One of the female characters wears a busty top showing some cleavage.

^I laughed too hard at that XD

Also, I'll chime in and say the menus can be a right pain....

until you use voice controls! Then they're nothing...except when I try to pick Rouge. She's the only one that I can't choose with voice commands.

Edited by Decepticon Aquaslash