• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Legendary Aqua

Legendary Aqua

It's Super Mega time

• TSS Member
  • 3,058 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:18 AM

As you may or may not know, you can ride your boards in either the normal boarding stance (left foot in front) or in the goofy stance (right foot). This actually effects the gameplay a fair bit. Some characters default to one or the other, and their main gear part is set to that stance. Sonic, for instance, is set to regular.

So what works for all you guys out there? I ride goofy myself. Normal's kinda hard for me to do actually. My nephew rides normal though, and without even having jumped into the tutorial was a better player than me right off the get go.

For the curious, here's each character's run down if you haven't seen it already:

Normal
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
E-10000G
Blaze
Metal Sonic

Goofy
Jet
Wave
Storm
Cream
Shadow
Rouge
Silver
Spoiler

Neither
Vector (Bikes only)
Eggman (Bikes only)

Spoiler

Edited by Aquaslash, 07 November 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#2 -Mark-

-Mark-

'That Lion Guy' formerly known as Mahzes

• TSS Member
  • 4,907 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

Well, considering I know sod all about boarding in general.... how does it actually affect the gameplay?

#3 Legendary Aqua

Legendary Aqua

It's Super Mega time

• TSS Member
  • 3,058 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

In story mode, your character's main skill part (speed/fly/power) is set to their stance. For Sonic, to use Speed Formation skills, you have to ride normal. If you "switch!" to goofy, you enable whatever your backup skill is.

In free race modes, you can set the parts however you like, so you could set Sonic's speed skill to the secondary part, and have it your default if you ride goofy.

#4 Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

That is a fairly cool piece of continuity. Better than in Black Knight where they made Shadow right-fucking-handed. He was always a lefty in his game (apart from on the boxart).

#5 Core

Core

• TSS Member
  • 1,042 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

That is a fairly cool piece of continuity. Better than in Black Knight where they made Shadow right-fucking-handed. He was always a lefty in his game (apart from on the boxart).

I would assume the Ultimate Life Form is ambidextrous. Besides Sonic was already holding Caliburn with his right hand, so making Lancelot left-handed would have make the fight awkward.

Anyway, I think Sonic (and Tails) was also Regular in Sonic 3 and in the Adventure games?

And to answer the original question... if I had the game I would probably use the Regular stance. It feels more natural to me.

#6 Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Generally vicious and caustic about everything

• TSS Member
  • 1,406 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

You're trolling me, right?

SIR LANCELOT /= SHADOW

#7 Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

You're trolling me, right? SIR LANCELOT /= SHADOW

Who said anything about Lancelot? You can play as Shadow, Knuckles, Blaze and Amy in multiplayer. No Tails though, only the Blacksmith.

Edited by Blue Blood, 07 November 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#8 Core

Core

• TSS Member
  • 1,042 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

After watching a few cutscenes, the stances aren't too consistent. In the anime intro of Sonic Riders, I could see all characters riding in the Regular stance, except at times where some characters would randomly switch to the Goofy stance. In the opening CG cutscene of Sonic Riders, Storm and Wave are riding in the Regular stance. In the "black hole" cutscene of Zero Gravity, it looks like everyone is in the Regular stance...
I am disappointed.

EDIT: Sonic Riders Japanese boxart shows Jet in the Regular stance.
SRZG boxart shows Storm in the Regular stance and Knuckles in the Goofy stance.
But I guess they just flipped the artworks.

Edited by Core, 07 November 2010 - 12:42 PM.

#9 Legendary Aqua

Legendary Aqua

It's Super Mega time

• TSS Member
  • 3,058 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

I was mostly talking about the gameplay. That's what's been pretty consistent. Art can go any way, due to mirroring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users