Awoo.

Say what you will but sonic 06

Meta77

Did we even play the same game? The final boss was boring as fuck and half of the FMVs weren't even actual CGI.

Edit:

Oh, and it's absolutely undeniable that the classics were far better received than the post-2000 games. Are you suggesting that everyone who prefers the classics is a biased fool who needs to stop pretending they're in 1992? Please. That's the most bullshit claim I've heard in a long time.

Not not saying that they are biased but rather stop looking at the past. Yea sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles were all fun and id love to see a 3D/2D remake of them but until that day comes or if it ever does those games are in the past no changing that. Fans always stating how their so superior wont really change anything. Just as hopeing sonic 06 would be better it is what it is. and I just stated past the glitches and camera it was a decent game to sit through and enjoy for one play through *cause the speed stages sucked all around*

Not not saying that they are biased but rather stop looking at the past. Yea sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles were all fun and id love to see a 3D/2D remake of them but until that day comes or if it ever does those games are in the past no changing that. Fans always stating how their so superior wont really change anything. Just as hopeing sonic 06 would be better it is what it is. and I just stated past the glitches and camera it was a decent game to sit through and enjoy for one play through *cause the speed stages sucked all around*

Who cares if they're in the past? If the next games are going to be better, we need to see what made the past games as amazing as they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved Sonic 06, it was the best piece of crap I ever played. I was looking forward to the game so much that I bought the $450 Xbox 360-Sonic 06-Game chair bundle in December 2006 along with the strategy guide. I loved the game so much that I also bought the PS3 version on January 2007. Then, a few months later, I downloaded the bonus content for this game on both console versions. So at the end of the day, I put about $535 towards this game. Yeaaaaaaah....I was a big sucker for this game. (Well there's a bit of a story why I spent so much on this game but I don't have the time to explain that right not. ^^)

But I just don't know what's the deal with me and Sonic 06. This game is an unfinished piece of crap. There is absolutely no doubt about that. But this game has a certain charm that strikes me unlike other recent Sonic games. Maybe it's because during the days when this game was in production, I imagined it as the Sonic Adventure 3 that would deliver Sonic out of the miserable crisis that the franchise was in. Or maybe it was because the moral of this game was "What if Sonic was real?" I also loved the tall Sonic model, the slimmer Eggman design, and the realistic humans in town. I always thought a funny looking character character like Sonic being placed in a real world setting helped isolate him from other characters like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny and show that he is for all ages not just children, and I thought that was a nice approach that 06 was trying to make. Before this game was released, I would watch the E3 trailers of this game everyday after I came home from school. This game looked phenomenal! How could SEGA have let the game that was supposed to celebrate 15 years of their beloved mascot become this load of garbage? Well for whatever reason I've loved this game for so long, I hope that I will have the same feeling for Sonic's 20th that I felt for his 15th.

Yeah, me too. You know, the sales clerk actually warned me not to buy the game when I brought it to the counter. I've never had a sales respresentative in a store tell me not to buy a product - that really says a lot about this game.

Wow that's cold. That reminds me of the time when I bought a used copy of Pokemon Yellow in 2003. (In my youth I missed the whole Pokemon fad. My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Sapphire, I got my hands on it when I was 11 in 2003 and was determine to by all the older games that I missed out on^^) The sales clerk laughed and suggested that maybe I would prefer a more recent game, in the end I still bought Pokemon Yellow, but the point that I'm trying to make is that the quality of Sonic 06 is equivalent or less to an 11+ year old handheld game in the eyes of a sales clerk. *Whistles* That's way past not cool. -_-

It fucking baffles me that there are still people who actually believe this game is worth saving.

Haha, you must find me annoying then. :lol:

By the time anything good comes of it, it will have virtually zero resemblance to the game in the first place, so you might as well just make an entirely new game instead. Yes, the flaws really are that deeply rooted into the game, and trying to fix it would be no better than polishing a turd - sure, you'd have a nice shiny turd afterwards, but a turd is still a turd.

Sonic is doing relatively fine right now, so for fuck's sake just move on. Shit's dead and buried, no good will come of trying to bring it back.

As much as I would love to see a well made reboot of this game. I do agree that it would just be a waste of SEGA's efforts to go back to this dead game and try to rise it from the grave. It is better to just move on and create games that don't take five years to load but I just don't know. There are just some things that I liked about 06 that I just can't let go.

Honestly the fucking E3 build is better than the final product, look at the E3 trailer and notice how Sonic has a landing animation when jumping from wall to wall, in the final game, he doesn't, how the fuck does that even happen? The only redeeming quality in 06 is its music.

For the past four years, things like this have always ticked me off whenever I feel the urge to go back and play this game and shows SEGA's lack of effort towards this game. It's moments like this that make me wish I could have attended the 2006 E3 convention and tried out the "more polished looking" demo build.

No, he is a generic recolor.

Pleaaaaaaaaase, please, please, please, please do not tell me this is the main reason why people dislike Mephiles. He's supposed to look like Shadow because that's the form the he chose to remember ten years before the events of Sonic 06. He's not even a hedgehog, he's half a god chosing to look like the one who sealed him in the Septor of Darkness. I really don't understand why people dislike Mephiles, I thought he was interesting and had an eerie theme. And the fact that he had no mouth added on to his inhumane character.

I'm not quite sure why people exalt Mephiles for that. The way he did it? Effective yes but STUPID. And cowardly. Stupid because Sonic's death should've been handled much more epically. Sonic should've been given the opportunity to put up one hell of a fight and go down heroically but no, the guy who takes down gods of destruction, insane genuises and renegade killer robots on a daily basis gets distracted by a shiny thing and (Quite cheaply) gets stabbed from behind.

IMO, It would've been great if Mephiles aimed at Elise first knowing that Sonic would get in the way to save her. Would've made out Meph to be more dastardly and would've given Sonic's death much more meaning.

Bah don't even get me started on this.

This game takes 5 years to load: Fine I'm a patient person.

This game has lousy amigos in it: I can handle it, I get bored of playing as only Sonic after awhile anyway. (Besides, I love playing as Blaze)

This Game's story has holes in it: Whatever, Sonic games have never really been known for having great stories.

SEGA gives Sonic a cheap death scene: That's unforgivable. Sonic, the fastest thing alive whose able to survive a fall from space, out maneuver lasers and bullets, and take down machines the size of a building dies from some lousy one handed kamehameha knock-off from Mephiles? I thought Mephiles was an interesting character, but even I have to admit that Mephiles's method of killing Sonic was very lazily handled.

Mephiles had a plan they makes no sense in the slightest, if he had to merge with Iblis, why the hell didn't he do it when he first met Silver?

My guess is that he has the same blood lust Dragonball Z villains have. Meaning, he wants to be responsible for the deaths of millions and doesn't want Iblis to have all the fun. Either that or he can't fuse with Iblis after it has already taken a form. Mephiles probably has to merge with Iblis as soon as it is released from its vessel.

I want to safely pretend it doesn't exist. :(

Too bad because it does.

Who cares if they're in the past? If the next games are going to be better, we need to see what made the past games as amazing as they are.

Maybe we can start with a fan base that doesn't whine about every little thing? :P

Anyway to the topic creator, you're not the only when who still finds some enjoyment out of this game. When I browse through my PS3/360 game collection, I find much more enjoyment out of Sonic 06 than I do with Sonic Unleashed (which is a game most fans believe was a step forward from 06.) Anyway I'll end my post with a quote from Lando the Bat.

Sonic 3D blast, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Labyrinth, Tails Sky Patrol, Sonic Blast, Tails Adventure. These "Classic" games make Sonic 2006 seem like a godsend if you ask me.

Edit: Oh how could I forget, the one thing that 06 probably succeeded in was its soundtrack. His World still remains to be my favorite Sonic theme song. :lol:

Edited by S0NIC Toadstool
  • Thumbs Up 4

Me, I really wish I'd gotten my money's worth. Oh well.

I feel the same way.

And I got it for five dollars.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm absolutely amazed people will actually defend this game. I really am. Because Sonic 06 is more or less objectively terrible in nearly every way. Polishing it wouldn't have saved it, the glitches were practically a small part of what made the game so bad. There are only two things I liked about the game: the music, and anything to do with Blaze that wasn't plot-related (I would absolutely LOVE to castrate the writers for pulling in that absolutely horrifyingly bad retcon that they couldn't even remove properly). The loading screens made everything a massive chore. The required side-missions needed to actually get to the next stage. The mach-speed sections. The level design in general (seriously, a speed booster RIGHT IN FRONT of a freaking LAVA PILLAR. WHAT). A broken, plot-hole filled plotline, complete with the Uncanny Valley for the humans. Badly-implemented Havok Physics. And speaking of which, the only reason Silver even existed was to serve as a Gravity Gun clone. Hell, let's just say the game design in general was borked. Pretty much the only character who was actually fun at all to play was Blaze.

You know, it would be lovely if everyone, especially Sega, would just pretend the game never existed. Because it shouldn't have.

I feel the same way.

And I got it for five dollars.

Lucky, some of us, were stupid enough to pay full price.

Shun_nakamura.jpg

Oh Shun, the madness your imagination has wrought cultivated an infamous legacy going five years strong.

Edited by Jayhawker30
  • Thumbs Up 1

with an overall terrible soundtrack to add insult to injury.

I would love to know how you come to these conclusions abot most recent Sonic music in the past 10 years... I mean, seriously. :V

Edited by DarkOverord
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best memory from the game is sonics first fight with silver. I made the mistake of trying to jump over him and homing attack him. All I can say it being smashed in the air losing my rings then grabbed again on my descent and smashed again. Cheap death but at the time i actually was like wtf is this what bosses have come to.

I used to love Sonic 06, but that was when i couldn't tell between good and bad games. Now that I'm older, I realize that this game is basically broken garbage. :(

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

That sad. You've let the lie of "objective opinion" get in the way of a more innocent enjoyment. You only loved a game because you lacked knowledge? Growing up doesn't meant you have to see the world in an objective way. Sonic 06 is horribly broken but,you know, I still love a lot of it. And despite what others may claimn, i think that's its *only* (but pretty major) flaw.

Edited by RidersDX
  • Thumbs Up 2

Enjoyment is subjective. Quality is not.

You can like a badly put together game, but that doesn't stop it from being a badly put together game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, kind of. Although games like Sonic 06 are undeniably poor, I do believe that there are some games that will be viewed as high quality by some and low quality by others, such as Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 4: Episode I.

But it's not realising a "truth". I did not know the details but you explained you "loved" it until you learnt this wasn't correct, or at least that's the message that came across. And I think that's sad because passion, especially in fandom, is a unique thing. Love also. The thing is, it's not "wrong" to love a game. It's not the "truth" that it's not good. Becaus eit's subjective. if a game entertains you and you can enjoy it, then that's all what really matters in many ways. So i do think it's a sad thing for *anyone* to lose the love of a game, due to ideas of there being a subjective truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

But it's not realising a "truth". I did not know the details but you explained you "loved" it until you learnt this wasn't correct, or at least that's the message that came across. And I think that's sad because passion, especially in fandom, is a unique thing. Love also. The thing is, it's not "wrong" to love a game. It's not the "truth" that it's not good. Becaus eit's subjective. if a game entertains you and you can enjoy it, then that's all what really matters in many ways. So i do think it's a sad thing for *anyone* to lose the love of a game, due to ideas of there being a subjective truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

It had some good ideas, but it went nowhere with those ideas.

Even then some of those ideas (Mach Speed sections, I'm looking at you) were a bad idea. The game wasn't finished, and the engine was just broken.

If you enjoyed it, good for you. Nobody is saying its wrong to enjoy it.

It is however, a badly put together game, with questionable design choices. No matter how much you enjoyed it, it will not change the fact that it was badly put together.

I enjoyed Sonic 06, it was very fun (But also very broken).

Can you at least explain why?

This might be hypocritical and rude of me to say but put more thought into your posts instead of just saying, "I like it, but it's broken."

Those ideas did NOT get into my head, the ideas came from the game itself, so don't you dare say the public opinion affected MY opinion on the game. I dislike this game because when I play it, I'm not having fun. Simple as that. It is no where near the quality of the Adventure games.

I'd point out I've never said anything of the kind. I'm just quoting the original line I reponded to again, for context:

I used to love Sonic 06, but that was when i couldn't tell between good and bad games. Now that I'm older, I realize that this game is basically broken garbage. :(

That to me, baring in mind the internets wonderful way of never being clear to the tone of another person, something completly different to "the reason my love didn't last, because I slowly realized the game is plain broken". The wording of the initial comment I replied to, along with the sad face, read to me as if suggesting you had 'learnt' that it wasn't good much later.

Having fun is the defining factor in the end, you are quite right. I also wodner if I had the benefit of knwoing the hatred before hand and having *very* low expectations.

What good Ideas did this game have? Recreating SA1/2 isn't exactly something that has potential to be worthy to put Sonic into relevance again, like it was supposed to be.

Can you at least explain why?

This might be hypocritical and rude of me to say but put more thought into your posts instead of just saying, "I like it, but it's broken."

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed it, but it is not a good game.

I'll try to explain. I was incredibly hyped for it when it was announced. Especially when I heard it would be reintroducing the adventure fields and such, and Silver seemed like an interesting character. I thought Iblis seemed like a cool "counterpart" to Chaos; another thing which added to the Sonic Adventure nostalgia. I put so much hype into the game that when it came out and disappointed me, I still couldn't let it go entirely. It's a horrible game, but I was so excited for it that I can't seem to fully and completely hate it. If that makes sense.

That said, it's a bad game. The developers themselves said it was unfinished. I don't see the point in arguing otherwise.

Sonic 06 was not fun. Game braking glitches, the fact that the game was probably never finished, Sonic's reduced speed, the outright horrible amigos, sub par plot, Shadow's crappy vehicles, I could go on all day. I think they should remake the levels of this game, fix all of the above problems, and implement this into a 3DS remake of some sort, and you've got a game.