Awoo.

MegaMan Comes to Archie Comics

LunarEdge

I was planning on getting this, bu tI read in the Archie Sonic thread that international subscriptions are no longer possible -_- So, I guess I won't.

There isn't another way for you or others outside the US to get copies???? That blows.

Unless they quickly release an Archive type thing, I don't think so.

Edited by marcellof

Looks cool, not played megaman beyond 9 and 10 :/ so...I may pick up the 1st and keep a hold of it till im like 60 XD

Screw you guys, I loved the Mega Man Zero manga. It was hilarious. And not in the unintentional sort, either. It's better enjoyed if you look at it as a comedy with badass action sequences.

I mean, come on, when you look at what they did to Omega, you can't tell me the manga was meant to be taken seriously.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Screw you guys, I loved the Mega Man Zero manga. It was hilarious. And not in the unintentional sort, either. It's better enjoyed if you look at it as a comedy with badass action sequences.

I mean, come on, when you look at what they did to Omega, you can't tell me the manga was meant to be taken seriously.

lol it might just be the jarring difference of tone from the game to the manga. With such a dark series it's jarring to see the manga so light in retro spec. But to each his own. Looking forward to the mega man comic tho. I'm just wondering what coloring style they will use... The street fighter comics are known for their awesome coloring by udon. Will mega man be the same??

I agree, it's just so ridiculous and out there you can't help but laugh, and when you think they can't top the last ludicrous moment,(Ciel's evil sister replacing Copy X as villian) they still find a way! (Four Guardians combining into Copy X).

(Ciel's evil sister replacing Copy X as villian)

>:(

I could never find that funny at all. Is it seriously that fucked up do i need to start burning things?

Edited by Galaxy Man

To be fair, that sequence is made up for in badassery by having wimp!Zero take a level in badass and cut the fucker in two, when even badass!Zero couldn't beat 'em.

Like Sonic, Mega Man is being produced by fans for the fans.

Oh god. That one sentence has drained me of any real hope for this, and replaced it with fear. Archie Sonic is not for Sonic fans. Archie Sonic is for Archie Sonic fans. There are literally people who don't enjoy the games because it's not Archie Sonic.

I mean seriously, that's not a good sign at all.

lol, it's a wonderful sign. Ian has done a LOT to inject game canon and characters into the series, at times at the expense of what Archie fans wanted.

Fact of the matter is the Archie Sonic series has been very different since day one so there is only so much that can be done to make it more like the games. And there are plenty more people who hate the comics because every single thing isn't exactly like it is in the games so....yeah, some people are just closed minded for close minded sake

This is being built from the ground up and it's supposed to follow the storyline in the games fairly closely, treating each game as a story arc, with an original arc in between each one.

lol, it's a wonderful sign. Ian has done a LOT to inject game canon and characters into the series, at times at the expense of what Archie fans wanted.

And yet, it's still way different. Just adding characters and shit like that isn't that big of a deal, if you wanted you could argue that every Archie character at the beginning started out in the games somehow. The story is way different, the world is way different, the characters that the comics and games share ACT way different.

I'm really, seriously, actually worried that Megaman is going to be some sort of crazed gunman assassin or some shit completely as far away from the original source as possible just because. This isn't me exaggerating for effect or to be funny, I am actually concerned about that happening.

This is being built from the ground up and it's supposed to follow the storyline in the games fairly closely, treating each game as a story arc, with an original arc in between each one.

At first I was all :D

Then I was all D:

original could be very bad, if it's like the writing in a lot of their other comics.

That is something else I'm going to worry about incessantly. Honestly there more than likely I'm just freaking out because the Sonic comics starting out were horrible and this is starting out now, but I can't stop worrying.

Edited by Galaxy Man

Really, I have my expectations that Mega Man is going to undergo the Astro Boy treatment, such as dealing with human and robot relations and of course, the classic "what it means to be a robot" as briefly touched upon in Mega Man 7's ending. Reason being that there's very little to work with in regards to story, and it'd be an easy way to shoehorn character development, seeing as how the two franchises share more than a few similarities.

And yet, it's still way different. Just adding characters and shit like that isn't that big of a deal, if you wanted you could argue that every Archie character at the beginning started out in the games somehow. The story is way different, the world is way different, the characters that the comics and games share ACT way different.

I'm really, seriously, actually worried that Megaman is going to be some sort of crazed gunman assassin or some shit completely as far away from the original source as possible just because. This isn't me exaggerating for effect or to be funny, I am actually concerned about that happening.

Seriously, dude? It's been mentioned sooooo many times that this comic is going to stick very close to the games. Mega Man isn't going to turn into the Terminator or anything like that; Ian Flynn's mentioned in other interviews of how Rock's a "sweet little boy only fighting because he HAS to." He gets the character.

It's not going to be "Archie Sonic: only with MM characters", like many people seem to be afraid of.

Really, I have my expectations that Mega Man is going to undergo the Astro Boy treatment, such as dealing with human and robot relations and of course, the classic "what it means to be a robot" as briefly touched upon in Mega Man 7's ending. Reason being that there's very little to work with in regards to story, and it'd be an easy way to shoehorn character development, seeing as how the two franchises share more than a few similarities.

I don't think we have to worry about that. IIRC, Ian once said that he's never read or watched Astro Boy when someone asked about in regards to Mega Man.

Edited by Immortheus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't worried about it. I wouldn't have minded having some subtle Astro Boy influences, but seeing as how you just said he's never seen it...

Zero is turned is a huge coward who magically transforms into the real Zero when it is plot convenient. Not even kidding.

Page17FreakOut.jpg

It might not be worth it to go through it on it's own so here's a thread with a humorous overview of it.

Capcom is known to rewrite EVERYTHING in their cannons tho. Street fighter 3 got written out of cannon completely cause it didn't do well. The only thing I'm worried about is Capcom writting something out of cannon like they do oh so much with street fighter. Could you picture the rewrites lan would have to do to make up Capcom's own revisions?

Capcom is known to rewrite EVERYTHING in their cannons tho. Street fighter 3 got written out of cannon completely cause it didn't do well.

*Facepalm* No, it didn't. The only games in the series that are non-canon is Alpha 1 (got replaced by Alpha 2 and 3) and EX (spin-off). Capcom re-write their own canons far less than other companies, believe it or not, otherwise they wouldn't be writing around Devil May Cry 2 all the time these days.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

*Facepalm* No, it didn't. The only games in the series that are non-canon is Alpha 1 (got replaced by Alpha 2 and 3) and EX (spin-off). Capcom re-write their own canons far less than other companies, believe it or not, otherwise they wouldn't be writing around Devil May Cry 2 all the time these days.

Well I might be wrong on 3 but Street fighter has had quite a few rewrites since SFCED and Alpha 2. Maybe not the whole storyline but some of the character ones. Sagat, M.bison, Dark Ryu, GOUKEN. to name a few honestly. As one of them was posed to be dead but is alive in kicking and making part of A main shoto's story useless. ( ryu wanting vengance on Gouki for killing Gouken. ) The whole Start of dark ryu and sagat. As that was changed a bit. Cammy being another big one, she was just brainwashed into being a full on clone of M.Bison/ There's a few I know I forgot but if I'm wrong sorry, but you can't say capcom didn't seriously change entire backstories of characters which in action changes parts of the canon.

Well I might be wrong on 3 but Street fighter has had quite a few rewrites since SFCED and Alpha 2. Maybe not the whole storyline but some of the character ones. Sagat, M.bison, Dark Ryu, GOUKEN. to name a few honestly. As one of them was posed to be dead but is alive in kicking and making part of A main shoto's story useless. ( ryu wanting vengance on Gouki for killing Gouken. ) The whole Start of dark ryu and sagat. As that was changed a bit. Cammy being another big one, she was just brainwashed into being a full on clone of M.Bison/ There's a few I know I forgot but if I'm wrong sorry, but you can't say capcom didn't seriously change entire backstories of characters which in action changes parts of the canon.

What does Street Fighter have to do with Megaman? Megaman has a chronological order from beginning to end. Street Fighter, as with most fighting games that aren't Blazblue and Tekken, never has a definite and assured end to each game or consistently with character behaviors. Megaman goes from 1-10, X1-X5(or X8 if you want to write in the extra filler), Z1-Z4, Zx and Advent, and finally legends. They could literally have this comic go on for years while following the games. This isn't about Capcom. This is about the Megaman series as a whole and their writers aka Keiji Inafune. How he(and whoever wrote X6,X7,X8) handled the writing of the series is not going to drastically effect the comic or Ian's writing. By the looks of it, they are staying in the original Megeman realm so there is little to worry about.

I don't want to go too off-topic, but there's several things I just cannot leave be...

As one of them was posed to be dead but is alive in kicking and making part of A main shoto's story useless. ( ryu wanting vengance on Gouki for killing Gouken. )

The whole revenge plot was resolved back in Alpha 2, and Gouken was in a coma for all that time.

The whole Start of dark ryu and sagat. As that was changed a bit.

Not, 'changed', it was 'expanded'. The first two Street Fighter games simply told that Ryu scarred Sagat with a Shoryuken. The Alpha games elaborates on this and their rivalry.

Cammy being another big one, she was just brainwashed into being a full on clone of M.Bison/

Um... What? In SFII, she was an amnesic who was told by M. Bison that they were lovers. The Alpha series reveals that this, was, of course, a total lie and Cammy was originally Bison's clone. They didn't 'change' her backstory because she didn't even have one before Alpha 3.

There's a few I know I forgot but if I'm wrong sorry, but you can't say capcom didn't seriously change entire backstories of characters which in action changes parts of the canon.

Gouken is the only character whose 'backstory' was actually changed, and even then, it was just one detail of him in fact being not dead, and nobody gives a damn because having Gouken as a playable character is pure awesome. Everything else is just Capcom fleshing out characters and their backstories.

I'm starting to think you don't understand Street Fighter chronology very well.

Edited by Masaru Daimon