Awoo.

Your favorite cartoons

SuperStingray

This one never even brings up the words "My Little Pony" outside the theme song.

Heh heh, well, that's not entirely true. They actually did some title drops. Three to be exact I think: one in episode 13 around 11:47 and TWO in episode 18 around 8:07 and 15:34. Gosh, for some reason, I cringe every time Twilight said My Little Ponies in that one.

Anyways, I like the MLP for being well-written, has good humor, nice animation and actual care for char development. Though of course some episodes can be pretty predictable because of cliche' plots and total 'meh' and most of the time, for me anyways, it usually the episodes about the Cutie Mark Crusaders since I don't find them as interesting as the main six of the show and I kind find them somewhat annoying. If some episodes were about side characters, why not have an episode about Big Macintosh or Spike? Why does it have to be about those three? It also worries that if there were ever a G5 series, it would probably be about them and as said, I don't find them interesting.

Also, there are many cartoons I quite like such as Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Angry Beavers, Simpsons which hold a place in my heart for being nostalgic and very funny, but there are some modern day cartoons I like as well like CN's Adventure Time, MAD, and Regular Show are pretty amazing and humorous with excellent writing. There are also many others, but it'll be one hell of a long list.

Heh heh, well, that's not entirely true. They actually did some title drops. Three to be exact I think: one in episode 13 around 11:47 and TWO in episode 18 around 8:07 and 15:34. Gosh, for some reason, I cringe every time Twilight said My Little Ponies in that one.

I said that before I saw episode 18, and yes, it threw me off too. Still, it's still more subtle than most series' attempts at marketing and I suppose it had to go in somewhere considering the show lives on toy sales.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking a bit of a break from MLP and found a new cartoon that I love and remembered an old one that I use to watch a lot.

Donkey_Kong_Country.png

The old one is the Donkey Kong Country TV series. To be honest, I haven't watched more than four episodes, because those were all that were released on the North American VHS. But they were very good episodes, mind you. The animation was a bit ugly, granted, but it was considerably good for its time and budget. It revolved mainly around three parties: Donkey Kong and his friends, King K. Rool and his cronies, and Captain Scurvy and his maties. They're in a race to acquire the crystal coconut and find the secret of its power. I suppose the plot was kind of slow, but the characters were likable and the most memorable part of the series to me, believe it or not, was the music. I'm serious, DK's singing voice is sexy as hell.

tuff-puppy-2.jpg

And the new one I just found out about is a new toon by the the creator the Fairly Odd Parents, and in very a similar vein and art style called T.U.F.F. Puppy. When I first saw the ad a while back, it didn't look worth my time- it seemed like the premise for a cheesy Dreamworks movie: animals who are also secret agents. But I decided to give it a try and honest to god, I could not stop laughing the first time I saw any of the episodes. It has all the brilliantly anarchic humor seen in Fairly Odd Parents without the overbearing focus on plot that came with later episodes in the series. I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with the words to describe the cast, as they really twist the norms set by most classic cartoons. It's very rare that the female lead is at least as, if not more, often the butt of slapstick humor than the male, but such is the case here. And the organization has strange priorities, like putting defeating evil second to fixing a broken toaster. It could do to have some more villains, as I've seen 20 episodes and they only seem to have two or three recurring ones, but they're funny enough for me to forgive that.

Edited by SuperStingray

• 4 weeks later...

163709772_b97119c3ed.jpg

Oh yes. The new Looney Tunes show looks pretty great, too.

Dexter%2527s%2BLaboratory%2BWallpaper.jpg

Maybe it's partially nostalgia, but I still think this show is amazing.

logo.jpg

Johnny's constant unsuccessful attempts to lose his virginity never cease to entertain me.

logo.jpg

Nuff said.

Regular+Show.jpg

Cartoon Network, thank you for taking another step (the first being Adventure Time) on the path to being awesome again. Now, get rid of TDI and those annoying live action shows and everything will be okay. ;)

Tabaluga must be my very favourite childhood cartoon. I just loved it so much, and I also sometimes had dreams of being in that world.

In this series, Tabaluga is the last of the dragons and the crown-prince of Greenland, a magical place inhabited by talking animals of many different species. Tabaluga must defend his home from two rival kingdoms on either side of Greenland; a frigid arctic tundra, ruled by the evil snowman Arktos and a searing desert, ruled by an evil sand-spirit named Humsin.

Oh yeah. I should probably re-watch all of those episodes somewhere, nothing would be more nostalgic.

I saw a Christmas movie (or movie-length) of this in Norwegian once, I was very surprised to see it air on TV as I had almost forgotten all about the series. The series themselves probably never were translated to Norwegian though.

sheepinthebigcity.gif

You probably haven't heard of this one, or at least don't remember it that well, only living for about two short seasons with very little marketing.

Oh, hey! I do remember that show. I watched some episodes of that on a Summer vacation in Denmark. Får i Storbyen. I loved that crazy general.

I've seen way too many anime that I love to list here, so I'll limit it to western cartoons for this list.

Here they are, in alphabetical order, rather than by rank, since I'm not sure I can pick a singular favorite cartoon.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Favorite Character: Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Let me make this clear- I found this show to be atrocious. The writing is subpar, the animation is genuinely ugly, and the characters are flat cut-out stereotypes. But for some reason, I love this stupid show. I can't really put my finger on why. But somehow, it's so terrible that it's sort of charming in its own silly way, and I always enjoy watching it.

As the western Sonic cartoons go, I have no love for SatAM or Underground, but AoStH will always have a special place in my nostalgic memories.

Animaniacs

Favorite Character: Dr. Scratchansniff

I have trouble summarizing this cartoon, so I'll just say that it's kind of amazing and leave it that.

Batman: The Animated Series

Favorite Character: The Joker (Mark Hamill will always be my favorite Joker of all time)

This show is my definitive version of Batman. The writing is excellent, the characters are wildly entertaining, and the stories are genuinely engaging. This was what introduced me to the Batman mythos as a kid, and to this day it's my favorite take on the franchise.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Favorite Character: The Joker

While I love me some serious Batman, I'm also quite fond of the campy 60s style Batman, which is why I absolutely adore this show as well. It relives the campy silliness of some of DC's weirder days, and I greatly enjoy all flavors of my favorite comic book hero.

Dastardly and Muttley and their Flying Machines

Favorite Character: Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly and his team of flying aces have one goal: Stop that pigeon! It's a simple "chase" show with a traditionally unsympathetic comedy protagonist, but to me it stands out just for how much personality Dastardly always had. He's a low-down rotten cheater, and seems to be a prototypical Waluigi. Great show, great memories, watch it.

Dexter's Laboratory

Favorite Character: Dexter

A simple show with a simple premise. Dexter's Lab is about an aspiring young scientific genius and the crazy adventures his machines often get him into. I like Dexter because, while his intentions are usually good, he's flawed by his greed and egotism, which makes for a really entertaining protagonist. The show's supporting cast is great too, and the writing is pretty clever at times.

Freakazoid!

Favorite Character: Cosgrove

Man, this show is awesome. I can't even get into describing it without going on and on about how great it is, so just do yourself a favor and watch it.

Gargoyles

Favorite Character: David Xanatos

I was skeptical of this show at first, figuring it would be a rather humdrum action cartoon, but I was proven dead wrong. Gargoyles is a surprisingly intricate story with really good continuity and great writing. It does a splendid job of making both the heroes and villains sympathetic and relatable, and for a kids' show in the 90s, I have to stress that this wasn't the norm; In 90s cartoons, bad guys were usually two-dimensional megalomaniacs in it for the evulz without sympathetic motives, but nearly every antagonist in the series can be sympathized with or at least pitied- Which was an aspect of the show I really liked.

If you haven't checked it out, go give it a watch. It's more than worth your time.

Johnny Bravo

Favorite Character: Johnny Bravo

Premise: A would-be ladies' man repeatedly fails in his attempts to get a date.

It's simple and I love it. Johnny Bravo is the definitive lovable loser for me, only amplified by how cool he perceives himself to be. Supporting cast is pretty funny too.

Justice League

Favorite Character: Aside from Joker and Lex Luthor (Who appeared in their respective shows before this), I'm a big fan of the Flash as well.

Justice League was a spectacular show, and another great entry in the DC Animated Universe. It was an ambitious project, but I think they handled it really well, and the same great writing from Batman's and Superman's animated series continued here. Give it a watch if you haven't already.

Kim Possible

Favorite Characters: Dr. Drakken and Shego

One of the few worthwhile cartoons to come out of the last decade in my opinion, Kim Possible is a surprisingly witty character-driven show. While the heroes are likable enough, the show's driving strength is its incredibly quirky rogues gallery of flashy and hilarious villains. There wasn't a single episode of this show I didn't like, and I could always count on its colorful cast to keep me coming back for more.

The show's self-aware humor was one of my favorite parts. It never took itself too seriously, but wasn't completely off-the-wall either. It was a nice blend of comedy and a pinch of seriousness, and the result was a great show.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Favorite Character: Rarity (Was Pinkie Pie; Editing post)

I've already said why I love this show in the MLP:FiM topic, so I won't go into too much detail here. I'll just say that I was pleasantly surprised by how easily-enjoyable this "girly show" was by all audiences. I'm not a fan of the MLP franchise in general or its merchandise, but this show manages to be insanely addictive, and I love it.

Pinky and the Brain

Favorite Character: The Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain ...Narf!

Perhaps one of the simplest yet greatest premises ever: Two genetically-enhanced lab mice are trying to take over the planet in a series of repeatedly-failed and always-hilarious world domination schemes. It continues the zany humor of Animaniacs, the show it spun off from, yet clearly develops its own unique feel and tone.

Powerpuff Girls

Favorite Character: The Mayor

Basically what I said about Kim Possible, but more slapsticky. Simple lighthearted fun with a splendidly entertaining cast of characters, particularly the villains.

Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World

Favorite Character: King Koopa

All three Mario cartoons were a major part of my childhood, and I still remember waking up early and recording them on VHS. They were terribly off-model and inaccurate to the games, but I didn't care. It was Mario on TV! These shows aren't good by any stretch of the imagination, but I love them.

Superman: The Animated Series

Favorite Character: Lex Luthor

Much like Batman: TAS, this is sorta my favorite take on the Superman story. The writing, animation, and acting are all spectacular, and it makes Superman a genuinely interesting character and not merely a boring invincible hero like some writers are prone to do. Superman feels believable, and really human here, and I've always enjoyed this series.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Favorite Characters: Shredder and Krang

The epitome of 80s cheesiness, the Ninja Turtles! I love this show- The heroes are great, the villains are great, the side characters are great. It's just great. My favorite parts of the show are Shredder and Krang just hanging out at the base. I've always been entertained by their dysfunctional friendship, and it never stops making me smile.

Wacky Races

Favorite Character: Dick Dastardly

More to the point, I watched this show for Dick Dastardly. The other racers were so-so, but Dastardly's hammy egotism and creative cheating were always a hoot. He even got his own spinoff, which due to its alphabetical place is earlier in my list.

-----

And those are my favorites. I like quite a few others, but these are some of my top picks. Ah, nostalgia.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite cartoons:

The Simpsons

King of the Hill

Spongebob Squarepants

Rocko's Modern Life

All of these bring back good memories, plus I tend to quote The Simpsons A LOT! Its just one of those shows that you can easily quote/relate almost anything to.

Edited by SGn3

Here’s a list of all the children’s cartoons I can remember that I’ve watched from the late 80’s to present. Some of the cartoons listed are not in the hand drawn medium, but I think they are still classified as cartoons.

Thundercats

He-Man

She-Ra

Ivor the Engine

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles

Transformers Beast Wars

Reboot

Spiderman

X-Men

Power Puff Girls

Dexter’s Laboratory

Tiny Toon Adventures

Tom and Jerry

Loony Toons

Batman

Captain Planet

Johnny Quest

Street Sharks

Biker Mice from Mars

Animaniacs

Disney’s Aladdin

Disney’s The Little Mermaid

Disney’s Hercules

Mona the Vampire

Disney’s Tarzan

The Cramp Twins

Danger Mouse

Duck Tales

Dark Wing Duck

TailSpin

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

Free Willy

Sharkey and George

Ren and Stimpy

Count Duckular

Littlest Pet Shop

Attack of the Killer Tomato’s

Godzilla

Hammerman

Super Mario World

Sonic Underground

Rugrats

The Wild Thornberry’s

Fantastic Max

Super Ted

Care Bares

Teddy Ruxpin

Woody Woodpecker

Bananaman

Denis the Menace (USA)

Denis the Menace (UK)

ATOM

Inspector Gadget

Oban Star Racers

Kim Possible

Spongebob Squarepants

Sonic X

Little Shop of Horrors

Extreme Dinosaurs

Dragon Flyz

Mighty Max

Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles

Dan Dare (CGI)

Popeye

Popeye and Son

Astro Boy (2003)

Bill and Teds Excellent Adventures

Pigeon Street

Hey Arnold

Thunderbirds

Stingray

Joe 90

Captain Scarlett

Fireman Sam

Thomas the Tank Engine

Tugboats

Postman Pat

The Mummy the Animated Series

Mummies Alive

Pokémon

Digimon

Yu-Gi-Oh

Dragon Ball Z

The Herbs

Button Moon

Bangers and Mash

Huxley Pig

The Shoe People

The Wombles

Paddington Bear

The legend of Zorro

The Chipmunks

Garfield and Friends

Angry Beavers

Cow and Chicken

Bump the Elephant

Heathcliff

Nelly the Elephant

The Animals of Farthing Wood

Sabrina the Animated Series

Ben 10

Butt Ugly Martians

Cubix

The Raccoons

Yogi Bear

The Flintstones

The Jetsons

Poddington Peas

Rhubarb and Custard

Charlie Chalk

Bertha

Mr. Men

Noddy

Mr. Ben

Budgie the Little Helicopter

Noah’s Island

Spot the Dog

House of Mouse

Scooby Doo

Earthworm Jim

The Legend of Zelda

Disney’s Gargoyles

Dinobabies

Pirates of Dark Water

Top Cat

Denver the Last Dinosaur

Totally Spies

Team Galaxy

Jackie Chan Adventures

Tak and the Power of Juju

The Emperor's New School

Max Steel

Smurfs

Button Moon

Xcalibur

Bucky O'Hare

Man, I've watched so many cartoons it's really hard just to point out a few, but when I was a lot younger, it used to be only thing I watched. From when I was a little girl I used to really, really love Hey Arnold, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, Edd edd and Eddy, and Catdog. I guess it's kind of funny, 'cause I actually took a lot of things that happened in cartoons (for example, Hey Arnold), and put them to use in my everyday life.

Other shows I watched when I must have been 10 or 11 where The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and The Fairly Odd Parets. Now I don't watch TV that much, but I like King of the Hill, Spongebob Squarepants, and Family Guy.

Let's have less lists and more discussion, please (: The last few posts have been a little lazy. (Edit: This is pitched at posts on the last page, not you, Ulver).

My absolute favourite cartoon from my childhood HAS to be Danger Mouse. It had THE most epic theme song, and it was just British wit at its finest. Plus it was narrated by David Jason (Only Fools And Horses' Del Boy, A Touch Of Frost's Inspector Frost, etc). Absolute WINNING. The interaction between Danger Mouse and his bumbling sidekick Penfold was hilarious, and there was the occasion joke pitched at the adult audience too. It was low-budget, but DARN was it entertaining! My absolute favourite cartoon of all, perhaps even beating out AoStH.

• 1 month later...

Some of my shows I still watch today, even if they are re-runs:

The Brak Show - I love Brak

Sonic X - Knuckles is my favoite

Yu-Gi-Oh - Original - Only the original is good

Invader Zim - Zim... oh Zim.

I can't stand to leave them... I love this shows so much.

The rest I used to watch but not so much or at all anymore:

Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Dexter’s Laboratory, Tom and Jerry, Loony Toons, Rugrats, The Wild Thornberry’s, Avatar the Last Air Bender, Kim Possible, Hey Arnold, Cow and Chicken, CatDog, Sailor Moon, Invader Zim, Sabrina the Animated Series, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Edd, Ed and Eddy, Totally Spies, Johnny Bravo

Shows I hate now:

Spongebob Squarepants - Just annoying

Pokémon - Changed the characters

Ben 10 - Changed the characters

Scooby Doo - It's just not the same

The Emperor's New School - It's stupid

I'm sure there's more... XD

Edited by ZombieEater

• 6 months later...

Animaniacs- This show never fails at having me on the floor in a hysterical fit of laughter! The animation is far from stilted and over all is really good! The humor is clever and well thought out. This will forever remain my favorite show as I can watch it multiple times without getting bored with it!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Oringinal and 2k3)- I love both the Ninja Turtles from the 1980's and 2003. One is funny and the other has a darker and grittier edge to it. I thouroughly enjoy both of them!

Looney Tunes (Original Shorts)- It's hard not to smile when I have the old Looney Tunes cartoons on. I could be depressed but watching this will flip my mood in a minute. The unexpected and off the wall ways of these toons is so awesome!

DuckTales- Sure the animation is stilted, but that doesn't take away anything from the show for me. I love the characters and the many adventures they go on!

Darkwing Duck- This quirky, adventure show is funny and has really likable characters. Darkwing Duck takes himself so seriously that it makes for great comical situations.

Sonic SATAM- This is another great adventure show. I love Antione, he is really what makes this show for me.

• 1 year later...

*Thread Necromancy *

Seems better to put this here than start a new, Short lived topic...

--THE WOMBLES--

tv-episode-one-tidybags-400x300.jpg

I have this thing, where at points in my life, I go through obsessions with franchises. Right now, It's Sonic. Before that, it was Star Wars.

But my first real fandom obsession was... The Wombles...

Tying back into they thread title, They had two animated TV Series - The first made by the Amazing Ivor Wood and broadcast in Seventies - featuring the voice talents of Bernard Cribbins, and a later, Less awesome series that made by Canadians that aired in the 90s - featuring the voice talents of god knows who...

The Original series featured a small but diverse cast: Older Wombles such as Uncle Bulgaria (Parental leader of the Wombles,think Papa Smurf but British),Tobermory (Slightly irritable mustachioed Handy-man), Madame Cholet (French Cook, Tobermory had a thing for her) And younger, working Wombles; Bungo (Our starring everyman), Orinoco (Lazy and Overweight, obviously he was everybody's favourite), Tomsk (Strong and short of brains, but his heart was in the right place), And Wellington (Shy Bookworm, often inventing, often paired with Tomsk).

The Wombles were the secret littermen of Wimbledon Common, "making good use of Bad Rubbish".

Anyway, as I said, I was into the Wombles. Like Mad. I read the books(Including the then rare "The Wombles Go Round the World"), watched both TV series (At first I preferred the later series, now it's the inverse) , collected the merchandise... And Oh boy, did I collect. I had Womble candle holders on my birthday cake (They still adorn the chocolate log at Christmas), Collected vintage Womble annuals - one even featuring stories from original author Elizabeth Beresford herself. And the plushies... I'be lost count of the number of McDonald's happy meal Wombles I own. We even made a Womble out of an original 70s pattern (Tomsk - his Pom-Pom nose didn't last long)! Maybe I'll go as far as to say my Womble collection rivals Hogfather's Sonic one - Mine's large, but with a lot of toot...

And then... Somehow, I lost my way... The Wombles somehow faded out of life... I moved on to the next obsession...

9780439661621_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Why did I ever give up the wombles for this whiny jerk?

... But the Wombles Always retained a special place in my heart (They've since been joined by Aardman, Pixar and Sonic)

... Recently, Mike Batt (Writer of the songs, and owner of the rights to the franchise) has announced that a new series will be coming in 2015 (Read 'bout it here:

http://www.tidybag.c...nnel-5-in-2015/ ). I'm surprisingly excited. I don't usually like CGI remakes (Bob the Builder, Thomas the Tank - Bleagh), but this one looks pretty good - from the preview images they've revealed it looks like they've copying the style of the Ivor Wood Puppets... They've even voiced interest in Bernard Cribbins voicing Bulgaria! Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

new-cgi-orinoco-cake-400x225.jpg

Edited by -Orinoco Womble-

I have many favourites from different decades, growing up I always liked Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Dexters Lab, Cow and Chicken, Ed,Edd and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, I am Weasel and Courage. My personal favourites are: - Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog due to the general slapstick comedy, staying close to the first 2 video games and the voice acting was really gd. Timon and Pumbaa as I really enjoyed The Lion King so a spinoff of these two guys was always going to be loved by me and both Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella kept providing their voices for Timon and Pumbaa which was brilliant Danger Mouse as it was just simply funny either as a kid, teenager or adult Honourable mentions include - Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Thundercats, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, M.A.S.K, Transformers, Anamaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, TazMania, Freakazoid, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, The Simpsons, Recess, Kim Possible, The Racoons, Count Duckula, Tiny Toons, South Park, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Wacky Races, Dasterly and Muttley, Tom and Jerry and Teenage Murant Ninja Turtles And Breathe!!

1,000 posts! Anyway in the early 1980's we had just one channel. Classics like Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes was shown every saturday evening. Then I got obsessed with Powerpuff Girls and Courage too before Friendship is Magic.

Edited by Applejack1973

My most favorite cartoon of all time is Teen Titans of course. The animation is awesome, it's a hybrid of anime with american style art, dubbed as "Murikanime". It was named after the dude who created the cartoon of course. Plus it has the hottest animated character ever and the story arcs and action scenes are awesome! xD I have other favorites such as Rugrats, this was my favorite cartoon back in the day before Teen Titans existed. Chuckie is still my favorite character from the series. I have many more, too many to list but I wanted to share with you my most favorite cartoons. <3