Awoo.

How Should The Story For The Next Sonic Game Be?

CanofEpicSauce

It seems that story in Sonic games have been a very controversal subject. After the well-recieved Sonic Colors, Sonic fans has had mixed feelings on the story. Some like the fact it's nice and cartoony, others hate it. However I made this thread to see all of your thoughts on how the story for the next Sonic game should be presented.

So how should the story for the next Sonic game be?

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

Eeh, I'm not sure, to be honest. I'd love a kinda serious, slightly complex story, but those are easy to screw up. And boy can SEGA screw stories up. Still, that doesn't mean all hope is instantly lost for a deep plotline...just most of it.

As long as Sonic isn't rescuing any more princesses, I suppose...

Yeah, that's Mario's job. Who does Sonic think he is?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario may not have been the first princess rescuer, but damn if he isn't the most famous. Even still, it doesn't come down to Mario having done it first, but more it having sucked ass when Sonic tried it.

Story tone should be somewhere around a SA/Unleashed level, but with character interaction similar to Colors (but with fewer corny jokes).

I assume you're joking, but since some people are dead serious about it I'll say it anyway; these sort of associations are stupid.

Hmm~ Personally I enjoy the general tone of the Sonic Rush stories; they generally seem to have a happy-go-lucky, idealistic and progressive outlooks, yet still have some deeper undertones and can take themselves seriously when need be. And of course, lots of character interaction and even some slice-of-lifey breaks from the action too, especially in Rush Adventure~

But I don't really mind where it stands on the Lighthearted<-->Serious scale, either can work well (although I do believe that Sonic stories shouldn't be too serious/dark/gritty), though in terms of depth I'm hoping it'll be at least a little less minimalist than Sonic Colours, and maybe have more characters appearing (not counting Sonic Colours DS, as their appearances were just cameo sidequests with no bearing on the actual plot, though I certainly appreciate their inclusion~)? At least Knuckles, please? I need my Knuckles fix to hype over, Sega!

Anyhow~ I'm sure whatever Sonic Team come up with will be awesome - it's Sonic's 20th Anniversary, after all, I'm sure they're gonna give it their all this time~

I assume you're joking, but since some people are dead serious about it I'll say it anyway; these sort of associations are stupid.

I am kidding, of course. It's a while yet until I degrade to that flavour of stupidity.

A good, deep, complex and extensive storyline. A lot of attention to the characters, their development and relationships. A lot of cutscenes that are completely immersed in the story. Story that makes players empathize to the characters, reveals new facets of their personality, helps players to love them even more. Epic threat, which is really dangerous, and not just another machination of comedy and hilarious evil genius, which is already like 10 years represents a poor candidate for the role of a real threat.

In short, the plot that is no less profound and touching than in SA2. And no more stories for kindergarten.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

A good, deep, complex and extensive storyline. A lot of attention to the characters, their development and relationships. A lot of cutscenes that are completely immersed in the story. Story that makes players empathize to the characters, reveals new facets of their personality, helps players to love them even more. Epic threat, which is really dangerous, and not just another machination of comedy and hilarious evil genius, which is already like 10 years represents a poor candidate for the role of a real threat.

In short, the plot that is no less profound and touching than in SA2. And no more stories for kindergarten.

Does that make me a kindergardner for liking some light-hearted material? :P

• Thumbs Up 3

It doesn't matter what kind of tone there is. As long as it's well-written and full of deep and GOOD characterization, I don't care. Just do the story RIGHT and make me feel for the characters. Give them personality yet make what they say and act in character!

Adventure's, Adventure 2's, Unleashed's, and Black Knight's are well-done.

Shadow's and Colors Wii's are average. (For Colors's, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot were excellent. Yacker was decent. Tails was okay. Sonic was HORRENDOUS!)

Next Gen's was poor. (The characterization for many were so-so, but its plot execution was horrific.)

Heroes's was awful.

ETA:

Does that make me a kindergardner for liking some light-hearted material? :P

I agree. Unleashed's story was just as lighthearted as Colors, except Colors's story was bare and didn't have the rich characterization Unleashed had. Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Painlessly simple, really.

Although gimmicks are what killed the franchise's reputation in the first place, you can still let him do wacky things which end up being cool to the fanbase and the audience.

...Like letting Sonic use a gigantic pencil to draw missing blocks and erase foes in sonic speed.

A simple, well-written plot.

That's it.

We're starting to get better now. Colours was a double-edged sword. Whilst it brought some good stuff, some of the other stuff was lost due to the theme and inherent plot limitations.

I don't want to be wading through dense treacle, trying to find the story. The plot is the plot, no need for constant, incessant exposition. Characters should interact with each other and react to situations and problems. Actual voice-acting (which is a huge improvement over past efforts as it is) is a necessity for delivering good character interactions and for developing characters and their relationships, however, sometimes, just let the visuals and facial expressions do the talking. Last thing we need is characters dragging on a sentence long after it should have ended.

What I don't want is a dense, overly complex, convoluted plotline with way too much shit going on. I like a deep well thought out story as much as the next guy, but if its so dense that you lose track of its progression, then DO NOT WANT.

I want humour, because you can't have a whole story which is melancholy and humourless. I don't want a repeat of Shadow or 06. Jokes are fine when appropriate; characters poking fun at each other and having a laugh makes them better, more believable characters. Not too much humour though. Colours was funny, but at times, the lack of other characters and just the target audience limitations, made Sonic look and sound like a bit of a retard.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in the next game though.

• Thumbs Up 4

A simple, well-written plot.

That's it.

We're starting to get better now. Colours was a double-edged sword. Whilst it brought some good stuff, some of the other stuff was lost due to the theme and inherent plot limitations.

I don't want to be wading through dense treacle, trying to find the story. The plot is the plot, no need for constant, incessant exposition. Characters should interact with each other and react to situations and problems. Actual voice-acting (which is a huge improvement over past efforts as it is) is a necessity for delivering good character interactions and for developing characters and their relationships, however, sometimes, just let the visuals and facial expressions do the talking. Last thing we need is characters dragging on a sentence long after it should have ended.

What I don't want is a dense, overly complex, convoluted plotline with way too much shit going on. I like a deep well thought out story as much as the next guy, but if its so dense that you lose track of its progression, then DO NOT WANT.

I want humour, because you can't have a whole story which is melancholy and humourless. I don't want a repeat of Shadow or 06. Jokes are fine when appropriate; characters poking fun at each other and having a laugh makes them better, more believable characters. Not too much humour though. Colours was funny, but at times, the lack of other characters and just the target audience limitations, made Sonic look and sound like a bit of a retard.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in the next game though.

This. And I thought I was the only one who thought this, the part in bold especially. Colours did have some funny moments, but much of it fell flat, the lack of characters for Sonic to interact with often the cause for this. Those robot trash-talking moments were grating and often very cringeworthy, as well.

But apparently I'm the weirdo for preferring Eggman's PA announcements to Sonic's cheesy lines.

Personally i'm ok with dark stories [in fact, i like them very much], but considering the fact that a lot of people are not, it'd be perfect if the story would be something like in Sonic adventure or Sonic and the black knight. Sometimes lighthearted, sometimes serious and overall quite deep and from different angles [yes, i'm talking about multiple playable characters].

And, in my opinion, if there are humans they should look like those in Sa,Sa2, Shth or even SNG but no way like in unleashed and chronicles. Speaking about humour..Something in the line of riders or adventures would be great. Have i already mentioned that i want a DEEP story?

Edited by ArtFenix

Personally i'm ok with dark stories [in fact, i like them very much], but considering the fact that a lot of people are not, it'd be perfect if the story would be something like in Sonic adventure or Sonic and the black knight. Sometimes lighthearted, sometimes serious and overall quite deep and from different angles [yes, i'm talking about multiple playable characters].

And, in my opinion, if there are humans they should look like those in Sa,Sa2, Shth or even SNG but no way like in unleashed and chronicles. Speaking about humour..Something in the line of riders or adventures would be great. Have i already mentioned that i want a DEEP story?

Yes, and just to remind, Depth does not equal serious.

Edited by DragonSoul

I would like the depth, entertaining, character development, peril, etc of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series in a Sonic game. It could work if you think about it.

He's a blue Felix the Cat with spikes who runs very fast.

Light-hearted story with corny jokes is the way to go. No government conspiracies. No dead little sisters. No giant mythological monster. Just a really simple story concerning a wise-cracking hedgehog and a mad scientist with a robot army. That'd do me just fine. Which is also pretty much exactly what I got in the last big game, so thanks Sega. You're a pal.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Yes, and just to remind, Depth does not equal serious.

Yes, yes, i do remember that xD. But again, i like dark stories very much so if there's a dark AND deep story with as few plotholes as possible, i'm just happy!

Edited by ArtFenix

He's a blue Felix the Cat with spikes who runs very fast.

Light-hearted story with corny jokes is the way to go. No government conspiracies. No dead little sisters. No giant mythological monster. Just a really simple story concerning a wise-cracking hedgehog and a mad scientist with a robot army. That'd do me just fine. Which is also pretty much exactly what I got in the last big game, so thanks Sega. You're a pal.

While I agree with that kind of thing, there can be serious situations(but not as serious as the ones you just described) when the timing and tone is right.

• Thumbs Up 1