Awoo.

How Should The Story For The Next Sonic Game Be?

CanofEpicSauce

It wasn't even the whole princess thing, it was just the fact that despite being with the macguffin for half the game, he never met Mephiles once or even found out about his plans or anything.

Oh of course. Because all his story was save the princess, Princess gets kidnapped, save the princess, etc. Sonic just seems to be handled horribly unless he's the only playable story these days, unlike the Adventure games when he always had the most of focus, or as much as the new characters.

Oh of course. Because all his story was save the princess, Princess gets kidnapped, save the princess, etc. Sonic just seems to be handled horribly unless he's the only playable story these days, unlike the Adventure games when he always had the most of focus, or as much as the new characters.

06 was rushed, the Adventure games weren't so.

What are you talking about? That's fucking hilarious, although unintentionally, and in a bad way.

Robotnik should kidnap cute animals and use them to power robots. These robots are then ordered to make sure Sonic doesn't obtain the Chaos Emeralds before Robotnik so he nab them all and power some evil machine that's main purpose is to take over the world. Sonic can then get up to all manner of hijinks as he defeats the robots and goes after Robotnik. Simple, effective and functional; that's how I like my Sonic games. Sonic Colours (on Wii, don't talk to me about the Nega Wisp rubbish in the DS version) seemed to have this down pretty well.

Robotnik should kidnap cute animals and use them to power robots. These robots are then ordered to make sure Sonic doesn't obtain the Chaos Emeralds before Robotnik so he nab them all and power some evil machine that's main purpose is to take over the world. Sonic can then get up to all manner of hijinks as he defeats the robots and goes after Robotnik. Simple, effective and functional; that's how I like my Sonic games. Sonic Colours (on Wii, don't talk to me about the Nega Wisp rubbish in the DS version) seemed to have this down pretty well.

Careful - you'll get endless banters of "Sonic DOES have a story!"

Having said that, I sort of agree with them. I'm not wanting something apocalyptic, totally full of complex lines, or even anything that big - just something unique enough to get the job done. Contrary to the fanbase, Robotnik isn't limited to just making Badniks/making Death Eggs/summoning monsters - the likes of Colours and Rush Adventure is proof enough of that. Just get a good enough plot, add a few little sub-plots, and you're good to go.

Heck, some of the stories for Sonic fan-games do fine for me. Stopping Robotnik's paralyzing clock tower device/stopping Robotnik from somehow obtaining some sort of power from crashed alien spacecraft may not be much, but it works IMO.

I'm now only curious about where Eggman gets his resources from. I'm pretty sure, at this point, he's used the entire world's supply of metal at least three or four times, what with all the Death Eggs and space fleets and bases and innumerable hordes of robots...

I'm now only curious about where Eggman gets his resources from. I'm pretty sure, at this point, he's used the entire world's supply of metal at least three or four times, what with all the Death Eggs and space fleets and bases and innumerable hordes of robots...

He ends up reusing some of the left over scrap from torn up Badniks and his various crashed fleets and stations.

HEH HEH HAH HAH!!!!11!! HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK HAH HAH HAH!1!1!!1!!!

Came from:

I just sat through all ten minutes of this.

I expect a medal.

Careful - you'll get endless banters of "Sonic DOES have a story!"

Having said that, I sort of agree with them. I'm not wanting something apocalyptic, totally full of complex lines, or even anything that big - just something unique enough to get the job done. Contrary to the fanbase, Robotnik isn't limited to just making Badniks/making Death Eggs/summoning monsters - the likes of Colours and Rush Adventure is proof enough of that. Just get a good enough plot, add a few little sub-plots, and you're good to go.

Heck, some of the stories for Sonic fan-games do fine for me. Stopping Robotnik's paralyzing clock tower device/stopping Robotnik from somehow obtaining some sort of power from crashed alien spacecraft may not be much, but it works IMO.

I agree that there should be more to the plot than just "Eggman is stealing little furry animals, stop him!" but at the same time, there's so much that hasn't actually been done with that plot device, it's almost offensive. Eggman stealing away Flickies etc and popping them into machines was the core premise of Sonic 1 and Sonic 3D, and it was pretty important in 2, 3 and Knuckles, but then something happened and they forgot to put any emphasis on this whatsoever for the entire series. E-102 and Amy's stories sort of put some weight on the living beings powering robots thing, then in Adventure 2 it took a backseat, and by Heroes it was literally absent from the game altogether.

Bring back Flickies, Rickies, Porkies or whatever the fuck they're called. Make the starting stage of the game a haven for little critters that get stolen away and then elaborate on that plotline throughout. Introduce an E-102 esque plotline of a robot realising its existence as a bird inside a machine. Or even, introduce another plotline parodying it (e.g. Cubot sees what Eggman is doing and has an existential crisis, thinking himself to be a critter inside a machine only to be proven thoroughly wrong later on). They could personify the different species of animals (there were over 20 in Sonic Adventure 2), and then have a corresponding species of badnik for each type, sharing similar characteristics. Things as staple to the series as little animals, rings and even Special Stages have plot potential that just hasn't been explored, instead being brushed aside to focus on things like the ARK and the parallel/future world. I think Chaotix tried to emphasise the whole Ring thing, but without any cutscenes they couldn't do a whole lot with it.

Basically there's so much they could do with the simple 'flickies inside robots, collect rings and emeralds to stop Eggman's big scheme' plot and they really haven't cashed in on it.

But that aside, in the plot I want to see more Eggman and more robots. Make them the plot focus. Eggman is probably the only character who's been consistently awesome since the franchises inception. Make him the star of the show, let his charisma carry the plot even more. Sonic is the protagonist, playable character and series namesake, but Eggman should be the plot focus and the one that holds the floor. His lines were actually funny in Colours - expand on that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys, remember when Eggman electrocuted Knuckles in Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Or in the Sonic CD intro where Sonic jumps around everywhere defeating robots and just being badass? Or at the end of Sonic Adventure when Tails is all, "yay we did thru da powa of friendship lol" and Sonic just leaves as if saying, "fuck this, I'm not gonna stand here like the rest of you", or at the beginning of Sonic Adventure 2 when Sonic's all, "Well shit, no food or movies? Fuck this, cya!", or the emotional part when Shadow sheds a tear, or when Eggman holds a gun to Amy's head?

What happened to Sonic actually being badass, and what happened to Sonic games having detailed plots? My first Sonic game was Sonic Adventure, so I was introduced to the Sonic series as something somewhat dark and serious, and quite different to Mario. IMO, Sonic Colors is as serious as the average Mario game. To me, Unleashed and Colors is like seeing a Mario game with a deep, dark plot. It's sickening, I mean, seriously, why the fuck does Sonic 3 & Knuckles have a more complex plot than Colors? And what happened to Sonic being badass like he was from Sonic 1 all the way to Sonic Adventure 2? Now he's just a dork.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Hey guys, remember when Eggman electrocuted Knuckles in Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Or in the Sonic CD intro where Sonic jumps around everywhere defeating robots and just being badass? Or at the end of Sonic Adventure when Tails is all, "yay we did thru da powa of friendship lol" and Sonic just leaves as if saying, "fuck this, I'm not gonna stand here like the rest of you", or at the beginning of Sonic Adventure 2 when Sonic's all, "Well shit, no food or movies? Fuck this, cya!", or the emotional part when Shadow sheds a tear, or when Eggman holds a gun to Amy's head?

What happened to Sonic actually being badass, and what happened to Sonic games having detailed plots? My first Sonic game was Sonic Adventure, so I was introduced to the Sonic series as something somewhat dark and serious, and quite different to Mario. IMO, Sonic Colors is as serious as the average Mario game. To me, Unleashed and Colors is like seeing a Mario game with a deep, dark plot. It's sickening, I mean, seriously, why the fuck does Sonic 3 & Knuckles have a more complex plot than Colors? And what happened to Sonic being badass like he was from Sonic 1 all the way to Sonic Adventure 2? Now he's just a dork.

Because boosting through hoards of Egg-Robos on a space fleet, bashing a dark monster's eyeballs, and taking on a Egg-Nega Wisp that's powered by creatures more powerful than Chaos Emeralds(Okay, that wasn't in the final script so that may be pointless to point out) isn't being a bad-ass.

Edited by DragonSoul
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Because boosting through hoards of Egg-Robos on a space fleet, bashing a dark monster's eyeballs, and taking on a Egg-Nega Wisp that's powered by creatures more powerful than Chaos Emeralds(Okay, that wasn't in the final script so that may be pointless to point out) isn't being a bad-ass.

Or literally punching the FUCK out of a genie that's killed your friend, or cutting down the King of a land, with your only justifcation being "Its what I do".

Yeah Sonic really isn't badass anymore, he apparenly needs to be in a plot with government conspirasies, revenge, and death are present to even be taken seriously.

Another good example of good stories are the storybook games, both games are relatively light in their plot...until you get to the end, where shit goes down. Seriously the last stories for both Secret Rings, and Black Knight really drove the point home that Sonic can do a moving story, and be philisohpical with it too, WHILE also maintaining a light atmosphere. Honestly I'd want the stories to be more like those games from now on.

It's sickening, I mean, seriously, why the fuck does Sonic 3 & Knuckles have a more complex plot than Colors? And what happened to Sonic being badass like he was from Sonic 1 all the way to Sonic Adventure 2? Now he's just a dork.

Sonic acts sort of like a dork in Colors but I don't see it as such a bad thing. He acts both a dork and badass to me in Colors (or maybe it has to be the fact that RCS is voicing him, he can take some really lame lines and still manage to make Sonic sound cool so i pretty much forgave him for that). Sonic also has his badass moments in Unleashed (how can anyone forget the opening cutscene) and even some moments in Black Knight, too.

Edited by sonfan1984

In my opinion, the only time Sonic was actually a "dork" was in Sonic Heroes.

Sonic's lines were lame in Colors, and the story was pretty simple, but he himself was still the same as always. The last stage proves that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 3 and Knuckles' plot is NOT more complicated than Colours. They are about equally simple. The only difference is the direction each plot was taking. One was being semi-serious, while the other one was practically making fun of itself. There is nothing wrong with either. Frankly, Colours' plot was much better handled than Heroes, Shadow and 06's plot. How can two writers with no previous experience in dealing with Sonic, his character or the game stories, handle a games plot for their first time better than Sonic Teams own writers? That is whats disgusting

Sonic plots can be what they want to be. There is no obligations to stick with a certain style of plot. Yes some of those things were "badass", but they were oft so poorly written that it came off more unintentionally humorous than it did serious.

You want dorky? "Aww yeah, THIS is happenin'".

Yes Colours' plot wasn't serious and occasionally cringeworthy, but that doesn't make it bad by default. Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Unleashed, Colours and Black Knight are all perfectly acceptable stories. They each have there own direction. The beauty of Sonic games is the variety, with most games its the shame shit over and over again, but at least with Sonic games they try to vary the tone and the pacing.

Edited by Scar

Sonic acts sort of like a dork in Colors but I don't see it as such a bad thing. He acts both a dork and badass to me in Colors (or maybe it has to be the fact that RCS is voicing him, he can take some really lame lines and still manage to make Sonic sound cool so i pretty much forgave him for that). Sonic also has his badass moments in Unleashed (how can anyone forget the opening cutscene) and even some moments in Black Knight, too.

I mentioned the opening with the boosting an entire army of robots line. I didn't really think the storybook series into account sadly, (I know, I'm a terrible person :( )

Sonic's lines were lame in Colors, and the story was pretty simple, but he himself was still the same as always. The last stage proves that.

Yeah, in Terminal Velocity Act when trying to outrun a black hole. How can that not be as a badass moment? B) I don't recall him doing that in any games before.

He hasn't, but to be fair Sonic has been a badass while running away from many things for a long time now.

Metal Sonic? Check.

An exploding space station? Check.

A giant military truck? Check.

A giant flaming tornado in the middle of a destroyed city? Check.

A collapsing space station while on a bridge in the middle of space while chasing a fat guy in an escape pod holding a bigassed emerald? Check.

He got that one down pretty well.

Can you list the games of those scenes cause I don't know some of them

I think I can name them.

1.CD

2.&3.Adventure 2

5.Sonic and Knuckles?

Edited by DragonSoul