Awoo.

Star Wars prequel fanwank gone off long enough?

Kaihedgie

Seriously, I mean, just seriously. It has been nearly six years since the final film's theatrical release and people are still whining and moaning and crying about how the prequels 'ruined Star Wars forever' and how George Lucas is all of a sudden a hack, a cheapskate and other assorted derogatory names one could think of. We get it, guys: you don't like the prequels. Expressing your opinion, no matter how vividly you do it, is fine. The problem lies in you not shutting up about it after a while. A long while at that. Obtaining a reflexive need to bring up the prequels every single solitary time you watch a vid about the original trilogy does not make you a 'true' or 'enlightened' fan. It just makes you look more and more like a twat a little every day. Complaining does not 'repair' the 'damage' that has been done. Calling out Lucas is only hurting your own cause. He is the one who made franchise to begin with and he may pull the plug on it all if he so wishes. No one really cares if there were other people onboard with him during the original trilogy. It's still HIS world, not some random person who supposedly helped with the stories whose name you pried from the giant slab of credits at the end of each film that no one really stays around long enough to watch or care for that matter. By continuing this long, drawn-out trite, you are effectively worse than the man you criticize because you will not put a lid on it. You will never put a lid on it for some ridiculous, misguided self-righteous reason or another. If you do not like the prequels, do not talk, think or even breathe about them. Play games not centered around the prequels.

Whatever it takes: just shut up

And before I get called out being part of the 'sheep' drawn in by the pretty CGI effects that litter the prequels, I grew up with the original trilogy as well. My favorite game series tends to center around the original trilogy and other games with the exception of one I own tend to. The prequels are not perfect, but they are not horrible either. They're okay at best. I see the faults with the prequels, but that does not mean that the original trilogy is flawless incarnate either. Far from it, quite. Jar Jar Binks? Try Jek Porkins.

Guys, I know where you're coming from, but you keep missing the whole point of what I'm saying: whining about it for nearly six years isn't doing you or me any favors. It's not helping anyone or anything. It's not improving anything. Not now or the in the last five years and certainly not in the future.

Edited by Kaihedgie
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Can't say I found the original trilogy that offensive, besides the outrageous overacting grown Anakin's actor did in Episode 3 midway-to-near-the-end. Other than that whole area, I thought it did a decent job connecting things together, and for everyone that considered it useless to exist, they could've just ignored it. Sure, the prequels explain why Anakin became Vader and why the children were born the way they were with Obi-Wan taking them to different places and such.. but honestly the two arcs, besides those events, could almost be considered completely different stories altogether instead of a continuing storyline, since there were also so many years between the birth and growing up of Luke and Leia.

In a nutshell, what I was saying was that if you really wanted to; you could watch the original trilogy without having to watch the 'first' three, unless you were that dang curious as to how Anakin became Vader (which you could just skip to near the end of Ep. 3 for).

I think it should be agreeable though that the Clone Wars series (both the cartoon and the CGIfest) are utter crap though.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I honestly feel the need to respond to the following:

Calling out Lucas is only hurting your own cause. He is the one who made franchise to begin with and he may pull the plug on it all if he so wishes. No one really cares if there were other people onboard with him during the original trilogy. It's still HIS world, not some random person who supposedly helped with the stories whose name you pried from the giant slab of credits at the end of each film that no one really stays around long enough to watch or care for that matter. By continuing this long, drawn-out trite, you are effectively worse than the man you criticize because you will not put a lid on it. You will never put a lid on it for some ridiculous, misguided self-righteous reason or another. If you do not like the prequels, do not talk, think or even breathe about them. Play games not centered around the prequels.

This is a load of crock, and I cannot fathom how anybody can say this with a straight face. What made the original Star Wars trilogy great in many people's eyes was how coherent and well put together they were. Do you want to know why they were so critically successful? One reason in particular is that Lucas wasn't allowed to do whatever the fuck he wanted. He was held back from doing such a thing, and I imagine that the editors struck down whatever retarded bullshit he may have suggested. It's no wonder people don't like the so-called "remastered versions" that Lucas insists are the only versions we can have, and that the contemporary trilogy suffers from countless pacing and story-related problems that the first three movies didn't.

Also, to say that Lucas is the end-all-be-all god of all things Star Wars is putting him on a pedestal that no human being, let alone him, deserves. Just because he is the original creator doesn't mean that everything he decides to do is right. Nay, the new trilogy is arguably more of his own brainchild than the originals considering, as far as I'm aware, he had total freedom to do whatever he wished. And we all know how well that turned out. If Star Wars was entirely his creation and his creation alone, I certainly have to wonder how that makes everybody else on board feel. Do they feel like they have a part in the making of the film at all? Do they have any input whatsoever? What would be the point of having fucking editors if they have to kiss his fucking ass whenever he wants something? I just cannot stand this mentality that a sole individual is responsible for the production and output of a movie. It's supposed to be a collaborative effort; sure, there is going to be at least one person's name who stands out above the rest, but to say that in the end Lucas is the only person who matters in Star Wars, or any person for any film, is ludicrous.

Anyway, I'm not responding to this because I care about the Star Wars movies. I don't. I just fucking hate it when people continuously reinforce the perceived importance of people who don't deserve it. Oh and the obligatory "put up or shut up" argument being bullshit, etc.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I honestly feel the need to respond to the following:

Do you want to know why they were so critically successful? One reason in particular is that Lucas wasn't allowed to do whatever the fuck he wanted. He was held back from doing such a thing, and I imagine that the editors struck down whatever retarded bullshit he may have suggested.

I thought you said you weren't a Star Wars fan XD

Anyways, you missed my initial point: I already understand the position you're coming from. The problem is that the movies have come and gone now and ranting and raging about it now isn't going to change a thing. You don't like the 'remastered' versions? Fine. Don't like the prequels? Okay. I don't really care. No one with a decent, half sane mind really should. It's gone and done. Don't make a big deal out of it every time someone says Lucas, especially if you're 'not a fan'. I am not saying this to defend him or Lucas. I'm not challenging anyone to do better. I'm just saying people have been whacking the dead horse's bones long enough. Just. Let. It. Go.

Edited by Kaihedgie
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't care about Star Wars beyond two great and one good movie made in the 70s and 80s, but I dislike the prequels because they're bad movies in and of themselves. They're badly written, full of annoying characters, and in spite of all the pretty CG, they're boring. Detailed far better than I ever could here.

It's pretty sad to see people credit Lucas solely for the success of the original films. He came up with the original concept, but it was the efforts of many people who worked on the films (actors, editors, in V and VI, directors, etc.) that made that made them great, and reportedly, even just watchable.

Also, why are you posting this here, of all places? I've never seen anyone debate or even mention the Star Wars prequels here.

Edited by Ekaje

I don't care about Star Wars beyond two great and one good movie made in the 70s and 80s, but I dislike the prequels because they're bad movies in and of themselves. They're badly written, full of annoying characters, and in spite of all the pretty CG, they're boring. Detailed far better than I ever could here.

Also, it's pretty sad to see people credit Lucas solely for the success of the original films. He came up with the original concept, but it was the efforts of many people who worked on the films (actors, editors, in V and VI, directors, etc.) that made that made them great, and reportedly, even just watchable.

Again you miss my point like Sean: I know where you're coming from. My whole point from the beginning was to simply put a lid on it after nearly six years. It's over now. No one is forcing you to watch them. Not now, not in the near or distant future.

People complain about countless things. It's our nature. I'm not entirely sure why you're making this more of a big deal than it should be, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were trying to say something more than "this opinion shouldn't be expressed anymore".

Again you miss my point like Sean: I know where you're coming from. My whole point from the beginning was to simply put a lid on it after nearly six years. It's over now. No one is forcing you to watch them. Not now, not in the near or distant future.

You're literally just opening it back up now. I literally have not seen a single topic on this subject here until just today, right now. There was nothing to put a lid on, you brought a jar, took the lid off of it, and started talking about how it needed to be put back on.

And while doing it, you pretty much said that everyone with a negative opinion should just shut up and bow down to Lucas because he's pretty much Star God of Star Wars and that he has all of the Force. All of it.

Which, if you know the kind of people that go here, will only result in people telling you off and ALSO complaining about the movies. I won't because I kinda liked them. Except Jar-Jar Fuckhead.

People complain about countless things. It's our nature. I'm not entirely sure why you're making this more of a big deal than it should be, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were trying to say something more than "this opinion shouldn't be expressed anymore".

I cannot enjoy a good scene from the original trilogy anymore these days without scrolling down to see just about a trillion comments ranting about the complete opposite of the content in question and it's unbearable.

So why is this something that you are bringing up suddenly, on a Sonic fansite of all things? What exactly is the catalyst, and why are you choosing here to react to is? The last time anyone talked about something Star Wars related was when the Blu Rays of the original trilogy were announced (months and months and months ago). I was heavily involved in that discussion, and as far as I can remember the prequel trilogy never even came up. You are basically opening up discussion on a subject no one was talking about in the first place, and doing so with the express purpose of saying that the discussion shouldn't be discussed.

And much like Galaxy Man, I have no idea what you are trying to achieve. If you had done it in response to someone else starting a topic to bitch about the prequels, sure. But starting a thread to tell people not to post in the thread seems rather... counterproductive.

Mario, Luigi and Yoshi trek across ice and snow to stop the shelled ones' schemes. But Bowser's slick; in one last trick, he takes the dearest thing of all. Now Tornado is Missing!!

Edited by Tornado

I'm in the same boat, besides talking about the similarities between the Death Egg and Death Star, I've never seen Star Wars really mentioned on these boards. Maybe occasionally but never really bashing or anything. A thread if a place for discussion, opinions will go back and forth and you need to keep a cool head when discussing, other people will view things differently than you.

On my side I've seen all of the films because my parents are big fans but to be frank I never really cared too much to be a fan but care enough to know my opinions on them. I thought the original three were good films and understand their importance. I even enjoyed the newer ones, BUT, and this is the truth, they aren't as enjoyable and are missing lots of the elements the originals had. The characters in the episodes 4-6 are much more likable, the story is easy to follow and well told, there are better twist, better atmosphere, and overall they are just better crafted films. The first three try to hard at times to be gritty but then break the gritty by unnecessarily annoying characters. I don't know or care enough to go into some scientific analysis of the films, I just know the first three films were fantastic and the prequels were lacking something. They have their high points, but their lacking the pacing, characters, and set-up the originals had.

Sonic fans have been bitching about green eyes and voice actor changes for years, too. In fact, for more than six years. And similarly, some people are still complaining.

People just complain, I guess. You could argue it's worse for things that are 'over', since fans probably feel annoyed that it can never be fixed. I mean, take Sonic 4, for example; since it's episodic, there's a chance future episodes will be fixed based on criticism. If we get to the end of Sonic 4 and no real fixes have been made, the fan hate is (probably) going to be a lot worse.

The ironic thing is, whilst it's understandable that fans are more likely to be angry after something they don't like is over, that's also when complaining about it becomes pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Grew up watching the original trilogy. Fell in love with the prequel trilogy. Cried with genuine emotion throughout Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. Heck, I even watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars, so large has been the impact of the franchise upon my life.

I understand the arguments against the prequels. They were always bound to upset some people, after all. I don't agree with said arguments, however, and often find them to be illogical (like, for example, the protest against the use of CGI, when the original 1977 film revolutionised special effects in much the same way as Jar-Jar Binks was the first time a fully-digital character interacted with live-action actors... but that's just one example). At the end of the day, George Lucas has created this world. Legally and artistically, he is completely free to make whatever changes he wants. If you don't like the changes, well... the films have been released in enough versions over the years, I'm sure there's one you'll enjoy available somewhere.

What I will say is that I respect the entitlement of opinion. If somebody has a point of view to express about the prequel films, let them. If their argument is illogical, they'll eventually show themselves up. And even if their argument is sound, you don't have to agree with it, either. At the end of the day, 'tis a film we're talking about here, after all. Your copy of the DVD isn't going to vanish from history if a few internet chatrooms decide that the prequels were bad.

Let's not forget the right of consumerism. You may complain about absolutely everything infinitely as long as you pay for it. If you paid money to watch one of the prequel movies then you have the right to complain about the quality of the product you recieved. You have the right to convince others not to pay money for said product. You have the right to continue complaining about the product long past the point where the creator is likely to get money for it, because your opinions as a consumer do influence the market for future products of the same type.

Furthermore, non-consumers have the right to complain about the complaints made by consumers, because dude you're totally on the internet. Complaning is what we do, and we're damn good at it.

Jar Jar Binks sucks. George Lucas is a hack who couldn't write a love scene if his genitals depended on it. The Empire Strikes Back was the best Star Wars movie, and the only one not directed by Lucas, so you do the math.

Hurrah for complaining!

Star Wars: the Force Unleashed trilogy ought to be a damn movie series or something. It is better than the original 3 and sure as hell better than the prequels. Lets be honest here, Lucas has been milking the series like an industrial cattle farm. The Clone Wars cartoon sucks and the only thing that is remotley good about the franchise is the video games.

Star Wars: the Force Unleashed trilogy ought to be a damn movie series or something. It is better than the original 3 and sure as hell better than the prequels. Lets be honest here, Lucas has been milking the series like an industrial cattle farm. The Clone Wars cartoon sucks and the only thing that is remotley good about the franchise is the video games.

What? I'm pretty sure there were only two Force Unleashed games, and personally any chance of their plot being anywhere near passable was thrown out the window when they cloned the main character for the second game.

What? I'm pretty sure there were only two Force Unleashed games, and personally any chance of their plot being anywhere near passable was thrown out the window when they cloned the main character for the second game.

Lucas cannot write. When you try to write a movie when you cannot write, you end up writing a bad movie. The new movies aren't quotable unless you're laughing at them. Do you know why the old movies are quotable? Because they were written by people who know how to write. Not to mention likable characters, pacing, humor...

If you haven't played the second game(which I assume you haven't), then you wouldn't know of the huge sequel hook. Not only that, they only took Vader's word that Starkiller is, in fact, a clone. Darth Vader's word. It was planned on being a trilogy. And if you know anything about Star Wars lore, being cloned is like yesterday's meatloaf.

If you haven't played the second game(which I assume you haven't), then you wouldn't know of the huge sequel hook. Not only that, they only took Vader's word that Starkiller is, in fact, a clone. Darth Vader's word. It was planned on being a trilogy. And if you know anything about Star Wars lore, being cloned is like yesterday's meatloaf.

Not entirely. The Dark Side ending was a pretty big clue that the Starkiller you play as IS a clone. Though, with the Light Ending,

the evil clone never shows up,

so it could just be an entirely different timeline, but that would honestly make little sense.

Personally, I liked the prequels. I really loved Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. That was a pretty amazing film. I can't stand the fanwank.

• Thumbs Up 2