Awoo.

Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast Collection) Widescreen Mode?

Lightspines

Who knows, but it should also be considered that the black bars could have easily been pasted over the top of the original 4:3 footage, though to check we'd need to see whether the top and bottom of the screen have been cut off in this footage, or if extra space really can be seen to the left and right.

If it does have widescreen mode. Way to fuck over all those that got the digital download release.

The collection was released in the U.S. yesterday. Has anyone here picked it up and could let us know if SA does play in widescreen?

And here's the Dreamcast version running in 3200*1200:

emeraldcoast.jpg

How is it that unofficial Dreamcast emulators can change the game's aspect ratios and rendering ranges enough for it to support multi-monitor HD+ resolutions with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, while Sega's "professionally-produced" port renders in an upscaled and bordered 640*480 with virtually no graphical enhancements whatsoever? It really is utterly disgraceful, and reasonably unfathomable as to quite how they managed to screw it up so badly...

• Thumbs Up 6

And here's the Dreamcast version running in 3200*1200:

emeraldcoast.jpg

How is it that unofficial Dreamcast emulators can change the game's aspect ratios and rendering ranges enough for it to support multi-monitor HD+ resolutions with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, while Sega's "professionally-produced" port renders in an upscaled and bordered 640*480 with virtually no graphical enhancements whatsoever? It really is utterly disgraceful, and reasonably unfathomable as to quite how they managed to screw it up so badly...

Easy.

They don't care.

• Thumbs Up 5

I still want DC-Port in HD. I don't like the DX-Graphics. It's like taking Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time and just update the characters and leave everything else intact. It doesn't give a good pitcure.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Well, I dunno about SA, but look at the SA2 vid: Obviously the 3D glitches are just emulator issues, but the title card looks ugly as crap due to it not being able to render anything outside the 4:3 ratio there (causing the images that move past to "stick" like that), and all screen fades are limited to the 4:3 perspective.

Of course we have no idea how deep they'd have to fiddle with the game to fix these issues, but if we can assume that doing so would be a lot more work than it might seem, it's a pretty good excuse on their part. While it's easy for us to say "I wouldn't really mind", you just can't ship a game like that. It looks sloppy in too obvious a way.

Just trying to look at possibilities from a don't be hatin' perspective of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've emulated Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) on Dolphin in full HD with no graphical problems, perfect emulation. This has nothing to do with SA2B being superior, Dolphin is just a more stable emulator than nullDC.

As for Dreamcast Collection, does anyone have any footage of the game's menus? I'm curious to see if the interface is cheap looking or not.

They left it as Sonic Adventure DX in the PC version of Dreamcast Collection... xD

2iaz7k0.jpg

They couldn't even be bothered changing the title screen or cover art for both versions...

Wait, so does this mean that only the PC version has the extra DX missions and the XBLA version is the dud SADX? xD

Edited by Segakid

The annoying thing is, Sonic Adventure for XBLA IS Sonic Adventure DX, just with features taken out on purpose so you pay AGAIN to have DX when you ALREADY have the DX port! Ahhhhhhh! xD

So according to Sega:

Sonic Adventure:

8xqwpd.jpg

Sonic Adventure DX:

2a83n6w.jpg

THE ORIGINAL Sonic Adventure:

qysbkk.jpg

Edited by Segakid
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, I dunno about SA, but look at the SA2 vid: Obviously the 3D glitches are just emulator issues, but the title card looks ugly as crap due to it not being able to render anything outside the 4:3 ratio there (causing the images that move past to "stick" like that), and all screen fades are limited to the 4:3 perspective.

Not sure if the question was answered or not, but the trailer above is zoomed in and cropped. In the upper left you can make out a bit of the ring counter. Version on the disc is still 4:3.

(p.s. - Dreamcast Collection contests coming to SEGAbits and The Dreamcast Junkyard soon, win the game or a vinyl OR a.... secret item...)

Edited by Barry the Nomad