Awoo.

Does Shadow have natureal super sonic speed or not?

hebitaka

What?

It might just be me having been up for about 24 hours at this point, but that makes no sense.

I think he's proposing that it's not force, but stride that primarily matters. Which it doesn't. Stride is dependent on force to begin with. Don't worry, you can ignore it.

Edited by Indigo Rush

OK Galaxy Man, I concede the argument to you, but to clarify this topic.

IT DOESN'T MATTER(No pun intended), fine Shadow is an artificial test tube baby who has to use to fancy shoes to be able to do anything romotely cool, and without them he's nothing.....but Sega hasn't confirmed(And probably never will) anything regarding Shadow's shoes, whether he's as fast as Sonic with or without them, so I'm filling this under inconclusive due to lack of evidence; Until we see Shadow have a foot race without his shoes(Which is unlikely) there's no evidence supporting any of these claims.

Until we actually see Shadow running without his skates, there's no way you can confirm or deny whether he can move just as fast. Period.

We can go through the sciences, but that just makes it even more ambiguous. If Sonic can react at speeds of Chaos Control (which is news to me, because I have yet to witness it), then who's exactly to say Shadow couldn't either given that he's more of a natural with it? That is if we're talking about the time slowing natute as opposed to the time stopping one. And even with that, we'd have to consider how Shadow is capable of withstanding the very same forces Sonic is used to while moving that fast even with his skates, because while the skates eliminate friction on the ground they don't limit air resistance while running forward which is outright ridiculous.

Regardless, this is too much of a grey area to tell. Although it can be assumed that he has less stamina than Sonic.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

OK Galaxy Man, I concede the argument to you, but to clarify this topic.

IT DOESN'T MATTER(No pun intended), fine Shadow is an artificial test tube baby who has to use to fancy shoes to be able to do anything romotely cool, and without them he's nothing.....but Sega hasn't confirmed(And probably never will) anything regarding Shadow's shoes, whether he's as fast as Sonic with or without them, so I'm filling this under inconclusive due to lack of evidence; Until we see Shadow have a foot race without his shoes(Which is unlikely) there's no evidence supporting any of these claims.

except the claim that he's not as fast, which is supported by everything I mentioned.

The chance of him being faster than Sonic, literally called "The Fastest Thing Alive", are very slim. Hell, by his very title Sonic is faster than Shadow. There's no evidence to support Shadow being faster or at an equal level to Sonic. There is evidence that Shadow is slower than Sonic.

The chance of him being faster than Sonic, literally called "The Fastest Thing Alive", are very slim. Hell, by his very title Sonic is faster than Shadow.

Except titles are just titles if you really want to delve at this. Not exactly evidence to help further prove that no one can reach his speeds. We can claim what we want, but there's still nothing that says yes or no to justify it in full.

The only things that actually hold water in terms of proving who's faster would be from what we've seen, and so far, while we've seen Sonic break the sound barrier on his own strength, we've yet to see Shadow do so. Because of that, it can be assumed that he can't do so, but if someone really wanted to be an ass at this it can be assumed that he can but chooses not to. And then it just becomes an outright mess of an argument because shit starts becoming inconsistent to judge whether Shadow can reach Sonic's speeds.

So one person's doubt is another person's uncertainty, and only a complete optimist (or fanboy) would outright say "yes he can" despite there being no evidence in Shadow's favor.

except the claim that he's not as fast, which is supported by everything I mentioned.

The chance of him being faster than Sonic, literally called "The Fastest Thing Alive", are very slim. Hell, by his very title Sonic is faster than Shadow. There's no evidence to support Shadow being faster or at an equal level to Sonic. There is evidence that Shadow is slower than Sonic.

Not really, because every game they're in, there almost always equal. The only time I remember Sonic was faster than Shadow was in 06, and Sonic himself was slower than Blaze so you really want to use that as evidence?

In response to the whole friction thing, it's been stated in some continuities that Sonic's shoes are friction resistant which is different from the reduced friction that Shadow's skates provide. Due to Sonic's style movemont(running) he would actually benefit from shoes that increased friction as it would provide better grip and traction for him.

The "friction resistance" simply means his shoes were made with materials that would withstand the extreme heat and deterioration caused by grinding them into the pavement at 700+ mph, normal shoes would burst into flames and melt on his feet within seconds. Hell, in AoStH Sonic can't even run without them lest he risk seriously injuring his feet.

tl;dr - Sonic's kicks don't boost his speed, they protect him from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really, because every game they're in, there almost always equal. The only time I remember Sonic was faster than Shadow was in 06, and Sonic himself was slower than Blaze so you really want to use that as evidence?

In Sonic Chronicles, Shadow openly admits that he's not quite as fast as Sonic. I have only heard this through other users on the internet however, and never playing the game, I can't be bothered to search through YouTube videos to back this point up. Besides, Sonic Chronicles is ultimately non-canon anyway, so take that as you will.

But if anything will back up the claim that Sonic is faster than Shadow, try the fact that Sonic is the main character of the entire franchise. His main element is speed in itself. Making the assumption that Sonic isn't the fastest would totally destroy his purpose in the series aside from being a face to brand things with.

Yes, others are very fast too. You can't deny that Tails and Knuckles can keep up with Sonic with speed on par to his own in the classic games, and most other characters display amazing agility; however this is merely a gameplay niggle more than anything to allow accessibility for the option to play as other characters while keeping the main core gameplay intact. When you start sticking to their other abilities, you get slow gameplay mechanics that gives the Sonic Adventure series its bad rap. Letting everyone keep a basic pace that's on the same level as Sonic's is a necessity. Essentially, they cap Sonic's speed so the rest can keep up!

Additionally, have you played Sonic Unleashed lately? Wanna know why Sonic's the only playable character for this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYJCFa2_3A

Because no one else can do this.

Seriously. Don't bring up Sonic Rush, either, because the speed achieved in that game is not as insane as Sonic Unleashed was. There's a reason you can't tag along as Tails, Blaze, Knuckles or Shadow. They aren't this fast. They can very well re-skin Sonic to make the other characters playable, but at this point you may as well re-skin Sonic as Mario, also. It'll make just as much sense. Sonic's blasting off at speeds unattainable by the rest of the cast. While Sonic is probably sprinting at about 300 miles per hour in this game, we have every reason to believe that the game designers clearly intended the gameplay to allude that Sonic breaks the sound barrier each time he boosts. This is Sonic's official ability listed in Sonic Channel and you cannot deny this.

And, to play Devil's Advocate, let's say that Shadow was made as an alternate character in a game such as this. It would be fitting, wouldn't it? Aside from the gameplay niggle argument I provided prior, SEGA would still find a way to make Sonic seem faster in a later game or some official canonical medium. And alright, so Shadow's breaking the speed of sound in this game. Sonic still will wind up being the fastest by having the benefits of being the mascot

Not good enough? Let's say Shadow was as fast as Sonic on foot. Now, add jet shoes to reduce friction. Shadow should be faster now. Now there's no equality at all, but now the dark antihero has the better advantage. This is all well and good if Sonic had another unique ability that no one else has, but take another look:

Shadow can also turn Super.

Shadow can also use Chaos Control.

Shadow can also do a spindash.

Shadow can also utilize a homing attack.

Shadow can also perform the ring dash.

Shadow can also do the light speed attack.

Now what can Shadow do that Sonic can't?

Shadow can use Chaos Spear, Chaos Blast, and utilize Chaos Control more efficiently than Sonic.

Shadow can lift cars buses.

Now if we make it so that Shadow is faster than Sonic, there's no point.

Look, I know that SEGA hasn't always been the brightest with Sonic in the past, but come on. Sonic's most unique feature, his title, his very namesake rests on being the Fastest Thing Alive. If nothing else will convince the masses, then let this:

Sonic is fastest because he's Sonic the Hedgehog. Remember this. No matter what force shows up to give him a run for his money, no matter what gameplay quirk caps his top speed, no matter what anyone else says, Sonic is the fastest, end of story.

Yo, Shadow, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but

SONIC is the fastest of ALL TIME.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

In Sonic Chronicles, Shadow openly admits that he's not quite as fast as Sonic. I have only heard this through other users on the internet however, and never playing the game, I can't be bothered to search through YouTube videos to back this point up. Besides, Sonic Chronicles is ultimately non-canon anyway, so take that as you will.

But if anything will back up the claim that Sonic is faster than Shadow, try the fact that Sonic is the main character of the entire franchise. His main element is speed in itself. Making the assumption that Sonic isn't the fastest would totally destroy his purpose in the series aside from being a face to brand things with.

Yes, others are very fast too. You can't deny that Tails and Knuckles can keep up with Sonic with speed on par to his own in the classic games, and most other characters display amazing agility; however this is merely a gameplay niggle more than anything to allow accessibility for the option to play as other characters while keeping the main core gameplay intact. When you start sticking to their other abilities, you get slow gameplay mechanics that gives the Sonic Adventure series its bad rap. Letting everyone keep a basic pace that's on the same level as Sonic's is a necessity. Essentially, they cap Sonic's speed so the rest can keep up!

Additionally, have you played Sonic Unleashed lately? Wanna know why Sonic's the only playable character for this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYJCFa2_3A

Because no one else can do this.

Seriously. Don't bring up Sonic Rush, either, because the speed achieved in that game is not as insane as Sonic Unleashed was. There's a reason you can't tag along as Tails, Blaze, Knuckles or Shadow. They aren't this fast. They can very well re-skin Sonic to make the other characters playable, but at this point you may as well re-skin Sonic as Mario, also. It'll make just as much sense. Sonic's blasting off at speeds unattainable by the rest of the cast. While Sonic is probably sprinting at about 300 miles per hour in this game, we have every reason to believe that the game designers clearly intended the gameplay to allude that Sonic breaks the sound barrier each time he boosts. This is Sonic's official ability listed in Sonic Channel and you cannot deny this.

And, to play Devil's Advocate, let's say that Shadow was made as an alternate character in a game such as this. It would be fitting, wouldn't it? Aside from the gameplay niggle argument I provided prior, SEGA would still find a way to make Sonic seem faster in a later game or some official canonical medium. And alright, so Shadow's breaking the speed of sound in this game. Sonic still will wind up being the fastest by having the benefits of being the mascot

Not good enough? Let's say Shadow was as fast as Sonic on foot. Now, add jet shoes to reduce friction. Shadow should be faster now. Now there's no equality at all, but now the dark antihero has the better advantage. This is all well and good if Sonic had another unique ability that no one else has, but take another look:

Shadow can use Chaos Spear, Chaos Blast, and utilize Chaos Control more efficiently than Sonic.

Now if we make it so that Shadow is faster than Sonic, there's no point.

Look, I know that SEGA hasn't always been the brightest with Sonic in the past, but come on. Sonic's most unique feature, his title, his very namesake rests on being the Fastest Thing Alive. If nothing else will convince the masses, then let this:

Sonic is fastest because he's Sonic the Hedgehog. Remember this. No matter what force shows up to give him a run for his money, no matter what gameplay quirk caps his top speed, no matter what anyone else says, Sonic is the fastest, end of story.

Yo, Shadow, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but

SONIC is the fastest of ALL TIME.

So? I never said Shadow was FASTER than Sonic, just equals is all. In Chronicles Sonic & Shadow are the fastest in the game and will go faster than anyone else, Sonic of course goes first because as you said, "He's the main character". ITs like CSS said, we've never SEEN Shadow break the sound barrier, that doesn't mean he can't do it. Sonic being the "Fastest Thing Alive" is just a title, because if you remember in Unleashed, almost ALL of Eggman's machines out pace Sonic.

Look I'm saying Sonic isn't special, but as far as I'm concerned him and Shadow are equals, or at the very least Shadow is second to him. Sonic being the main character has nothing to do with their speeds, because if that's the case, then Sonic should be god and everyone else should be obselete. We all know Sonic will be better than Shadow "Blah Blah, Hero Beats Rival, Blah Blah" will ALWAYS be in effect.

As for the Sonic Unleashed thing, I'm pretty sure if Sega felt like it, they could put Shadow in Sonic's place.

The Jet Shoes, as mentioned above, DON'T MATTER, because we will NEVER see Shadow run without them, so its a moot point discussing them.

So? I never said Shadow was FASTER than Sonic, just equals is all.

My post applies to this as well.

In Chronicles Sonic & Shadow are the fastest in the game and will go faster than anyone else, Sonic of course goes first because as you said, "He's the main character".

If I'm not mistaken, Sonic takes 3 turns in a row. And did you just intentionally ignore the quote where Shadow said Sonic was the fastest?

ITs like CSS said, we've never SEEN Shadow break the sound barrier, that doesn't mean he can't do it.

We've never SEEN Big the Cat break the sound barrier, that doesn't mean he can't do it. And I feel like mentioning that CSS said that "If you wanted to be an ass, you could bring that up." Congrats.

Sonic being the "Fastest Thing Alive" is just a title, because if you remember in Unleashed, almost ALL of Eggman's machines out pace Sonic.

Because those are machines. They aren't alive. We're talking about organic beings and their natural abilities. And by the way, that title isn't thrown around because it sounds cool; Sonic is the fastest thing alive.

And to a further point, those sections where they "outpace" Sonic, his top speed seems to mysteriously cap itself, even when boosting. Observe that when you get the chance. You'll be surprised.

Look I'm saying Sonic isn't special,

Yeah, we've gathered that by now.

but as far as I'm concerned him and Shadow are equals, or at the very least Shadow is second to him.

You're entitled to that viewpoint, even though you've ignored everything we've said. Shadow being second to Sonic isn't beyond the suspension of disbelief though, but then again, we haven't matched Blaze for Shadow in a proper race. (Funnily enough, you can argue that Blaze uses her pyrokinesis to accelerate faster as well, looking at her Sonic Rush animations)

Sonic being the main character has nothing to do with their speeds, because if that's the case, then Sonic should be god and everyone else should be obselete.

Sonic's the best at speed. Shadow's the best at Chaos energy. Knuckles is the strongest. Tails is the best at flying and mechanics. Amy is the best at stalking and wielding giant hammers. Big is the best at being chill. Everyone has a strength, and no other character is rendered obsolete. And please actually read my post again about how the other characters can still keep a quick enough pace to facilitate the traditional Sonic gameplay mechanics, because I'm not convinced you did so much as glance at my post

We all know Sonic will be better than Shadow "Blah Blah, Hero Beats Rival, Blah Blah" will ALWAYS be in effect.

Nice attitude there, boy. Didn't you just get through a whole rant about how Sonic and Shadow are equal? You're not making a very solid argument.

As for the Sonic Unleashed thing, I'm pretty sure if Sega felt like it, they could put Shadow in Sonic's place.

And I told you this. See? You really don't read.

The Jet Shoes, as mentioned above, DON'T MATTER, because we will NEVER see Shadow run without them, so its a moot point discussing them.

We're deducing the outcome with educated theories and prior knowledge to the game series as a whole. If there's really no point to the discussion, then why are you even here?

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

There is a scene in Sonic X that I do not have time to find right now, but it is episode 34 I think. After he does this odd move where he sorta shoots a bunch of chaos spears at robots just by raising his arms, he runs away...with his jets turned off.

The jets are still on his feet, but he is clearly running without the jet propulsion and is going preety darn fast.

Now if anyone does not want to consider this because of canonical reasons, I understand. Not to mention, a few min. later he is racing Sonic with his jets on the entire time. I doubt Shadow would even dream of racing Sonic without the jet propulsion.

Just something to think about.

Ya know, why did Gerald decide to give him rocket skates anyway? For gameplay purposes I understand, but for the story, what's the point? Without the shoes, he would probably run as fast as...I dunno, knuckles? (I don't have any evidence for that, but imagine Shadow in any universie is not as completly slow as Big without the jets).

From a story perspective, what's the point of giving an already powerful lifeform rocket shoes?

We've never SEEN Big the Cat break the sound barrier, that doesn't mean he can't do it.

That would be pretty cool if he did tho.

And I feel like mentioning that CSS said that "If you wanted to be an ass, you could bring that up." Congrats.

Oh great. Now I feel like such a prick for saying that. Thanks for making me feel bad, Indigo. :(

This is all well and good if Sonic had another unique ability that no one else has, but take another look:

Ya know what? I think it would be best to leave him at the "rivals Sonic speed" and keep it there.

It would be far too much to give him the added ability to reach the sound barrier unless we're going to give Sonic other distinct powers to balance this out or make him even faster. And we'd have to do it in a way that isn't much of an asspull, or at least isn't an asspull that's easy to notice in case there's a chance it get's called out.

Of course, that still doesn't explain whether he can still move at rivaling speeds without his shoes. But given how thin ice this is, I'd be more confortable with him being second fastest even without his shoes...or at least have that stamina of his play a factor.

There's no denying that leg strength plays a part here, but really dude... the jet shoes do about 90% of the work here.

So if we could really make those jet shoes, (Which ARE cool looking by the way, screw the guy that said they aren't) even humans on mere steroids could kill themselves from crashing into walls run as fast as Shadow? :lol:

Somehow I think it'd take a bit more leg strength than that but I'm no physicist.

EDIT: Once again more pages than I realized. Reading unread posts....

EDIT2: Done. Would said steroids provide the said required endurance and not leg strength, like was mentioned? :P

Edited by Raxz
  • Thumbs Up 1

That would be pretty cool if he did tho.

I secretly want him to. Wait... not a secret anymore. D:

Oh great. Now I feel like such a prick for saying that. Thanks for making me feel bad, Indigo. :(

Didn't mean to, dude. I'm just making a point how little he's paying attention to what he's saying.

Ya know what? I think it would be best to leave him at the "rivals Sonic speed" and keep it there.

Hehe, fair enough!

It would be far too much to give him the added ability to reach the sound barrier unless we're going to give Sonic other distinct powers to balance this out or make him even faster. And we'd have to do it in a way that isn't much of an asspull, or at least isn't an asspull that's easy to notice in case there's a chance it get's called out.

Precisely.

Of course, that still doesn't explain whether he can still move at rivaling speeds without his shoes.

Also a fair point.

But given how thin ice this is, I'd be more confortable with him being second fastest even without his shoes...or at least have that stamina of his play a factor.

I'd say he'd be far too used to skating to get the handle of running, if he was to be a serious speedster on foot. I'm certain he has some speed to spare, all characters do. (Heck, Big the Cat can run a loop, too) However I'd be willing to bet that he would have to get used to all the friction. I guess when he isn't running through loops, he probably switches those rocket shoes off to walk around. I do believe we've seen this in Sonic Adventure 2, but whenever he starts to run, those shoes start lighting up instantly.

Also, relevant:

rocket-shoes--article_image.jpg

I never really thought that Shadow's speed in comparison to Sonic's in regards to divulging who is the fastest was really a mystery if the frequently brought-up 'fact' that Sonic is the fastest Hedgehog in the world proves in that one sentence that Shadow is no match for Sonic foot speed-wise.

We've yet to see Shadow surpass the speed of sound without propulsion and lack of friction and Sonic's title is enough to state that Shadow is inferior to him speed-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow's reflexes and physical strength are on par, if not greater than that of Sonic's. So in theory, he should be able to run just as fast as him. But of course, being the Vegeta to Sonic's Goku, he's pretty much always gonna end up second banana in the long run due to Sonic's overall prowess exceeding Shadow's.

Shadow may be more skilled than Sonic, but Sonic is simply stronger.

Edited by Black Spy

Just a nitpick here, but why are so many people content to crown Sonic via his title as fastest thing alive. For as many times as we have seen that phrase, we also have seen Sega consistantly refer to Shadow as Sonic’s equal in speed.

Word of god has to account for something..... even if it conflicts with itself.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Not equal so much as potential competition, enough to declare as a rival. The equal, if any, would have to be Metal Sonic, a direct clone down to the very digit. Any notion of Shadow being able to fulfill the same potential as Sonic has been long forgotten.

I think there is a difference.

Sonic can reach full speed by RUNNING. He can reach high speeds as a ball, but in the end it's simply a quick start until he slows down, unless there is a hill to increase his speed. Shadow is exactly the same. We don't know the speed of the Spindash as it starts out, but it will slow down unless acted on by an outside force.

The spindash is more than likely not the fastest Sonic can go, even starting out. Even the BOOOOOST isn't as fast as he can go. Not to mention, if Sonic uses his feet to spin himself while in a ball, Shadow would have to do so also, which would involve his rocket shoes.

Hell, honestly (this is totally baseless but whatever) I always thought the yellow when he jumps and spins was his shoes' flames. I mean, everyone has a color effect that's their color, but Shadow dosen't have black or red, he has yellow like the flames his shoes shoot out.

I dunno, it's always seemed to me like it was his shoes the whole time.

Hmm, you know what, I think you may be on to something with that. There are many properties to the rolling, but I figure it could stand to be brought up since Shadow can use it.

Also, not everyone's jumping aura exactly matches, there's a bunch of characters with nonsensical colors for that. In Shadow's case, I recall hearing that his was black at first, but it made Shadow really hard to see so it was turned gold (in fact, his textures for that are identical to Super Sonic's in SA1)

Edited by Aquaslash

Not equal so much as potential competition, enough to declare as a rival. The equal, if any, would have to be Metal Sonic, a direct clone down to the very digit. Any notion of Shadow being able to fulfill the same potential as Sonic has been long forgotten.

Well Metal Sonic is probably a worst case than Shadow as Metal Sonic uses that jet engine body of his. True that its build in but its still a jet engine so he really can't be close to the real Sonic without fighting dirty. Good heel tactic though. :P

Also in a sense Shadow kind of breaks the speed barrier in Sonic 06 in his ending. Though its not canon but it does suggest Shadow is able to to go pretty fast even if it isn't natural speed.

Though it makes you wonder how does increasing your power really make you faster on hover skates. The world will never know.

Well Metal Sonic is probably a worst case than Shadow as Metal Sonic uses that jet engine body of his. True that its build in but its still a jet engine so he really can't be close to the real Sonic without fighting dirty. Good heel tactic though. :P

In MS's case, it's not dirty at all. He IS the machine. That engine is as much a part of him as his legs servos are. Add that to the fact that Metal Sonic CAN use Sonic Boom while Shadow yes yet to do so, leaves Sonic with two equals in the entire franchise: Metal Sonic and Scourge (let's drag all canons in here anyway, remember, this is about abilities, which tend to stay the same). Both of them are literal clones but yet, Sonic is superior to them both.

Also in a sense Shadow kind of breaks the speed barrier in Sonic 06 in his ending. Though its not canon but it does suggest Shadow is able to to go pretty fast even if it isn't natural speed.

That looks more like a power aura than anything.

Though it makes you wonder how does increasing your power really make you faster on hover skates. The world will never know.

I don't think he got FASTER (he was still super slow) but without his Inhibitor Rings, he's able to output massive amounts of energy, and then control it so he could shield himself, Rouge and Omega. They were running behind him in that last scene, so the chances of him going really fast are small.

The outburst of power might have caused a Sonic Boom, but Shadow himself did not go that fast.

Sonic does the same kind of thing with his boost, but he uses just his speed to crash through things. I think the aura around him is just the air zooming past, creating a little bubble of protection that lets him smash through things. Or he could just have a really thick skull.

Not equal so much as potential competition, enough to declare as a rival.

Thats debatable. The manuals kinda go pretty far out of the way to say that Shadow can "match Sonic's speed and abilities" (Heroes). At the very least, Shth manual refers to him as being able to "easily rival Sonic's speed", so he is at least in the same ballpark, if he isn't Sonic's equal.

Nothing to be seen there. As you notice, Rouge and Omega were at his 1 and 2, so he couldn't have been going that fast. The fancy light show of him purging Chaos energy shouldn't be mistaken for a boost (aside from Chaos Boost, which is not the same kind of boost)