Awoo.

Sonic: The Sound of Speed

Indigo Rush

OC Remix's 25th remix album is all about Sonic! For Sonic's 20th anniversary, we have an album full of remixes from the first game. The video has a few samples of what to expect from the soundtrack. It will be released soon!

This topic is to discuss the album when it comes out, what our favorite tracks are (and aren't) and anything in relation to this piece of news!

I for one have been following this album for a while now, waiting months for it's release, and now it's almost here!!!

Keep your eyes on this domain: http://sos.ocremix.org/

And here I thought it finally came out! I got excited for nothing! Well, its good to know its going to be released soon.

Sounds great, glad to finally see a release after all this time! This will no doubt make me want the rest of the Trilogy albums even more though. tongue.gif

The samples all sounded kinda generic to me - good, just generic. Very interested though. Project Chaos was awesome anyway (Hedgehog Heaven not so much).

About fucking time is all I have to say. Sonic's third album...you know for all the flak he gets, it's amazing that people still hold on to the guy.

I fucking loved Marble Zone, Starlight Zone, and Labyrinth Zone.

And speaking of OC Remix albums, Mario hasn't gotten a single one yet hasn't he? I kinda found that strange, but I guess that goes to show who has the better music.

Next up should be a Sonic Adventure album...but fat chance of that, huh?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

And speaking of OC Remix albums, Mario hasn't gotten a single one yet hasn't he? I kinda found that strange, but I guess that goes to show who has the better music.

Aren't they working on that? I think its "Portrait of A Plumber"... I could be wrong though.

Aren't they working on that? I think its "Portrait of A Plumber"... I could be wrong though.

I don't know. I haven't checked on it. But it still doesn't beat Sonic's 3 albums. :P

Haven't listened to Hedgehog Heaven. Project Chaos was okay.

The only song that sort of caught my interest in that video was the special stage remix, or what I assume it is since I don't really recognize it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Haven't listened to Hedgehog Heaven.

I wouldn't. It's not exactly good if you ask me.

Project Chaos was okay.

Now that's just blasphemous. angry.gif

j/k...

I'm not exactly with the crowd who were impressed by Hedgehog Heaven and Project Chaos. Sure, there were brilliant tracks in both, but most others sounded kind of... mundane.

Take if you will: Project Chaos.

The Death Egg "remix" sounds absolutely nothing like the original. I can't even hear the melody until the last bit, and even then it doesn't play enough for it to count... at which point it isn't a remix, but a random song with an homage thrown in.

I'm not saying they should have sounded like an HD version of the original, but at the very least include the original melody so we know what it's supposed to be a remix of. Project Chaos was far too subtle in these areas, and it disappointed me.

Some tracks, like I said though, were great: The Doomsday (which I'm convinced everyone likes) iMushroom and Dead Batteries were some of my favorites, because they gave a fresh take of an original melody without outright deviating from it.

Hearing some of the previews over the months, Sound of Speed does everything right, in my opinion. The melodies are intact, but each track is given a fresh take.

Indigo likey.

I like the sound of this stuff. Hedgehog Heaven was great, but Project Chaos was so-so with some brillant track but most were stinkers. Hoepfully this is the best of the three.

I'm not much of a fan of Sonic 1's soundtrack (it's hardly bad, but I find most of it fairly forgettable), but this sounds pretty good considering what it had to work with. I'm definitely interested in giving the finished product a listen.

Haven't listened to Hedgehog Heaven. Project Chaos was okay.

I didn't like most of Project Chaos myself. What they did to Knuckles' Sonic 3 theme was unforgivable and Knuckleduster is simply trash. But, "So Long and Thanks for All the..." is pretty good. Don't even bother with Hedgehog Haven, it's considered lackluster for a reason. "Hidden Palace Future" is the best track on the entire compilation.

I don't recall being dissapointed by any tracks in Project Chaos myself. I will agree that some tracks were way different from the source material though - didn't bother me, but it's a fair criticism.

After a bit of mixing and matching, splitting and trimming of tracks in both playlists and Audacity, I made myself a nice custom soundtrack out of it to use for the game when I'm playing through as Super Sonic and NEED something other than the default sound.

But yeah, Hedgehog Heaven was dull. Most of the tracks were lackluster, and my apologies if by sheer coincidence it may have been someone who drops by here at all (as a Sonic fan and all), but the Hill Top and ending remixes were just utterly horrifically dire. Not bad, just dull and lifeless, like whoever made them just didn't even care.

I also hate remix albums that do only very un-bossish remixes of the boss themes. Level music being done in a different style is tolerable, but having a non-boss-ish remix of the boss theme as the only remix of the boss theme on the album makes it utterly unusable for listening as you play the game.

Edited by JezMM

So far I've liked pretty much every song in Hedgehog Heaven and Project Chaos... except Knuckleduster. ugh

I wasn't aware there was a relevantly large number of people that didn't like them. What the hell?

I'm not exactly with the crowd who were impressed by Hedgehog Heaven and Project Chaos. Sure, there were brilliant tracks in both, but most others sounded kind of... mundane.

Take if you will: Project Chaos.

The Death Egg "remix" sounds absolutely nothing like the original. I can't even hear the melody until the last bit, and even then it doesn't play enough for it to count... at which point it isn't a remix, but a random song with an homage thrown in.

I'm not saying they should have sounded like an HD version of the original, but at the very least include the original melody so we know what it's supposed to be a remix of. Project Chaos was far too subtle in these areas, and it disappointed me.

Some tracks, like I said though, were great: The Doomsday (which I'm convinced everyone likes) iMushroom and Dead Batteries were some of my favorites, because they gave a fresh take of an original melody without outright deviating from it.

Hearing some of the previews over the months, Sound of Speed does everything right, in my opinion. The melodies are intact, but each track is given a fresh take.

My thoughts entirely. I disliked the other 2 Sonic remix albums because the majority of the artists deviate so far from the original tunes that it's hard to even determine what many of the tracks are even remixes of without them blatantly telling you.

That's why I love artists like halc and Snappleman. They know how to put their own twist on the classic music tracks without making them beyond recognition. No doubt the former being the one behind this album is contributing to it sounding that way.

I agree that Project Chaos wasn't perfect, but enough of the tracks were memorable to me to give it a thumbs up. None of them were bad, just not worth my time; the Lava Reef Remix sounded nothing like the game's version. But the Hydrocity, Carnival Night, Sky Sanctuary and most of the multiplayer stage remixes as well as anything by Snappleman were good enough to earn a special place on my iPod.

But as far as I'm concerned, there can never be enough good Green Hill, Chemical Plant or Ice Cap remixes.

Edited by SuperStingray

I'm still waiting for someone to remix the S&K Collection tracks for a change.

I'm waiting for a Sonic Advance 3 Remix album. I think I'll be waiting on that forever!

I loved Project Chaos, personally. I also don't get all the complaints of some of the songs sounding nothing like the original. Event the Death Egg remix is full of elements from the actual song, if you listen to it properly. Same goes for Icecap and Lava Reef(the piano mixes, anyway), the latter of which I thought to be really obvious anyway. I feel some people may be confusing the word 'remix' with 'remake', even if a few in the album do deviate a little much.

I was going to get this, until yesterday I realised I had less space on my iPod than I thought.

A LOT less.

I'll probably still get it anyway, but not having it on my iPod will royally suck.

I got really angry when the scat vocals or whatever-the-fuck came in and ruined my Star Light Zone remix. Eh.. It's a solid remix album overall.

It's infinitely better than Hedgehog Heaven but anything is better than Hedgehog Heaven. It's not Project Chaos by any means tho'.