Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Not So Colorful?

crush40rocks

I wanna find out if it's just me... But I recently got around to buying Sonic Colors, and like a good fanboy, I beat it in two days. That being said, I haven't touched it since, even though I'd like to get around to getting all those red rings, I just don't see it happening. The reason being is because regardless of the fact that it had the makings of a decent platformer and an original new gimmick that actually helped the game rather than hurt it, I just found the game to be kind of... meh. Maybe the past ten years of Sonic flops and repeatedly getting my hopes up for a quality Sonic experience and getting them dashed has left me desensitized, I don't know, but I really, really tried to enjoy this game as so many others seem to be doing, but to no avail. I felt like I was playing it, one, because it almost felt like a job, as someone who is devoted to the franchise, and two, it kind of felt to me like merely a holdover for the next big thing. Everyone says, "Sonic Colors is amazing" and "Sonic Colors IS main cannon, not just a side-venture" but I can't say I feel the same way. It just doesn't feel like it belongs among his main series of adventures to me. Idunno, but I'm just not feeling the same magic about this one that everyone else seems to be feeling. I assumed that it was because everyone was just happy to get a console Sonic platformer that felt more polished than Sonic 4, but idunno. To me, the floaty physics and the fact that when you hold 'right' and he starts to go, it almost doesn't feel... natural. Like his walking animation and acceleration are rigidly scripted and lifeless, then, when you let go, he damn near stops on a dime, rather than coasts to a stop naturally, which lends to it's artificial "plastic-y" feel, in my opinion. Remember those days when Sonic platforming meant tedious taps on the D-Pad in the opposite direction for precise landings on narrow platforms? Remember how natural that felt? Yeah, me too, but I digress, I know things like that are just too much to ask for Sega's crack tram of programmers at this point. Idunno guys, What do you think? Where's this magic I'm not seeing?

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Bad Quality Post 3

You don't like it.

That's all there is to it. You simply happen to dislike a game that most of us do like. No more, no less.

...What, you thought all of us just rage and hate? Come on, we're not that stereotypical. Just because someone else may like Sonic 2006 doesn't mean we'd make death threats to them. We're not savages.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 7

Well, there's a few people who feels the same way you do and they're very vocal about it.

So, yeah, I think I'm going to leave this topic now before things gets bad.

What, you thought all of us just rage and hate? Come on, we're not that stereotypical.

Well, no... I wasn't trying to start a war, I was just seeing if anyone could point out something magical about it that I was missing, much like someone did in the thread I started earlier today about "Those Were the Days..." where ol' 'Dog Tags' really put my foot in my mouth, but showed me some things I was missing all along. But in regards to the quoted comment, I do remember reading a three-page article in a certain gamer magazine about a month or so ago that was centered around how much we, the Sonic community, bitch and moan and how we cannot be pleased. XD I'll admit I found the article rather amusing in the fact that we're SO diverse as a community that our whining finally made it into a fucking magazine! lol But I digress...

I for one don't find it special at all. It's a step in the right direction, but its no masterpiece.

This = My feelings on it

I don't think there ever existed any line of thought that Colors was a masterpiece. That's pushing it. Most of the time you'll find people who see the game from the exact same viewpoint as you do.

The preconception definitely stands however, but that's more due to the fact that for once in many years Sega made a Sonic game that actually stands up on its own, and most importantly, one that most of the fanbase and even gamers in general can agree, is a really good game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, there's a few people who feels the same way you do and they're very vocal about it.

So, yeah, I think I'm going to leave this topic now before things gets bad.

Pretty much expect to have a hailstorm of bashing. The majority love this game with a passion and will defend it to the death before they accept the fact that other people have different ideals.

I for one don't find it special at all. It's a step in the right direction, but its no masterpiece.

If you don't have anything better to say than, "you're gonna get raped," then kindly not post in this topic at all. Flaming people for their opinions is something we try to prevent.

Also, I moved this topic to the appropriate forum.

...What, you thought all of us just rage and hate? Come on, we're not that stereotypical. Just because someone else may like Sonic 2006 doesn't mean we'd make death threats to them. We're not savages.

I haven't taken part in any '06-related topics for a long time. You may not get death threats, but you sure do get treated like the biggest idiot on the planet, so I keep any opinions on the game to myself as I have for what feels like years.

Same goes for my true feelings of Colors. I like the game quite a bit, but far less than everyone around me.

Edited by Inferno

I love Colours and I think it's great. Better than Sonic 1 even, but I am fine with your opinions. That's what opinions are for. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty much expect to have a hailstorm of bashing. The majority love this game with a passion and will defend it to the death before they accept the fact that other people have different ideals.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy Sonic Colors for what it is, a step in the right direction. Now of course, I have my problems with some things, but when the only complaint I can make strongly about the game is the story, Sega is kinda on the right track. Colors isn't a Game of the Year kid of game, it lacks enough content for it to be one. But hey, it's fun when you play it, and at least is more fun then alot of recent Sonic titles.

I think Colors is the epitome of average Sonic gameplay, with a mediocre soundtrack (WITH GOD AWFUL VOCAL SONGS), very corny jokes, and ridiculous multiplayer. When it comes to the spectrum of modern Sonic games, it sits directly in the center.

That sounds awful doesn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the game (It's way better than Sonic 06, Heroes, Shadow, and Secret Rings will ever be), but it doesn't feel like "the best Sonic game in years" to me. I beat it and I HARDLY touch it. I feel like the only reason why people enjoy it is because there's no alternate gameplay and there's platforming (which retro fans love). That's fine and all, but if its all about basic Sonic gameplay (Running, platforming, etc), then make STELLAR levels. I can go into details about why I'm not phased by these levels, but its sorta late...

Colors, may be a step in the right direction, but Unleashed made that step first; even though it was in the form of "two steps forward, one step back". No one seems to remember that. Colors just did more with it, but not "more" in a way that I'd call a massive improvement. I'd give it a 6.5/10 at the end of the day.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Unfortunetely I'm inclined to agree, I collected all 180 Red Rings, and got Super Sonic....but that's it. The game is fun, but not fun enough to go back and play it. Maybe its because Sonic is the only playable character, or the level design isn't all that great, and the story was shallow as all shit, but I felt Colors could've been so much more than it was.

Granted it is a good game, the first one in years, so it is worth playing, but after the initial hype wears off, its just "Meh"

Hopefully Generations will be that awesome game we clamour for, and actually make us want to play it long after we've beaten it.

I have to say I find myself playing the Adventure games more than Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

I already expressed my opinions on Sonic Colors, but I find it rather boring sometimes. The 2D sections tend to be bland, and the 3D sections just feel pointless. The game is not bad, but it's just not all that fun. I also have a problem with the dialogues and the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colours was one of those games which was good, technically great even.

It just lacked the extra sparkle. A lot of it felt like experimentation; to see what people liked and what people disliked about the game, to improve on afterwards.

Of course there are the Story-book flaws embedded deep within the game, like the basically automated 3D sections.

However, considering it was made by the people who made two of the most hated Sonic games of all time, I'd say its a great thing to happen to the franchise. A step to renew public faith in Sonic.

I think if the Sonic Adventure games and Unleashed had only Sonic stages, most people would consider Colors pretty underwhelming.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope Sonic Generations isn't Unleashed styled. If it is, then it better be 50% 3D and 50% 2D.

Sonic Colours is decent, however it's no where near "great" in my opinion. Hell, I haven't even finished the game. It's 75% 2D and 25% 3D, which makes it feel more like a spin-off title.

Overall, I would give it a 6/10.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope Sonic Generations isn't Unleashed styled. If it is, then it better be 50% 3D and 50% 2D.

Unleashed had that ratio overall. Half 2d,Half 3d.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed had that ratio overall. Half 2d,Half 3d.

I know, I'm just saying that Colors isn't, and I don't want it to follow that path.

• Bad Quality Post 1

I know, I'm just saying that Colors isn't, and I don't want it to follow that path.

Well hopefully Sega can come up with more than just a racetrack to fill the 3D sections with.

They can do 3D platforming. Unleashed had it, not a mass amount, but nonetheless had it.