Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

How would it be overkill? I mean yeah at this point I wouldn't even want it on the Wii, but it would be a really nice showcase for Project Cafe. Plus it isn't the Olympics thing that's selling these games, it's the fact that Mario and Sonic characters are together. I don't think too many people care about the Olympics aspect.

Well lets see.

If you'd want it this year, thats Sega developing Sonic Generations, potentially Sonic 4 episode 2 (and may'be another game) ALL MAJOR games and to add to that a you want a Mario and Sonic platformer? Thats what I mean by overkill. And obviously, one of those games (or all of them) would suffer. Not to mention the pressure on Sega to perform with the constant criticism from critics and gamers alike. But given the Olympics, are next year (in London no less), and Sega hold the Olympic license, Sega need to release a big seller.

On top of that, I just think its in none of Nintendo or Sega's interests to develop a crossover and doing so would be purely fanwank.

With the Olympic games, the Olympic Association benefit from additional exposure and interest in the Olympic games (which means more money), Sega benefit by having a really good seller, much cheaper to develop, then having to do a platformer and thus can spend more money on advertising and thus make more money and Nintendo have a game that helps them shift hardware with relatively little effort on their part and can show that third parties can sell on their console. It also has a much broader appeal then say a platformer. And if it 'failed' it would be less of a failure (critic wise) then if a platformer had been made instead and turned out to suck.

Now with a platformer, things become more complicated. You obviously remove the Olympic Association. Now, who develops the game? If we choose Sega, well like I said above, cost and the fact that they'd get a lot of flak. Why bother? Nintendo? They have plenty of franchises that they can tap into to sell reams both casual and hardcore to sell hardware, so why would they unnecessary advertisement to Sega and even then how would Sega profit from this?

Long story short a M&S Platformer will not happen anytime soon, so just enjoy the various bits and pieces that are released from Sega and/or Nintendo. Making money superseeds pure fanwank.

Edited by blackherox

I don't need it this year and I want Nintendo doing the bulk of the development. I know the Olympic games are cheaper and easier to make. I don't care though........I want a true Mario and Sonic crossover. :( Doesn't even have to be a platformer, I'd take an RPG or something.

I don't need it this year and I want Nintendo doing the bulk of the development. I know the Olympic games are cheaper and easier to make. I don't care though........I want a true Mario and Sonic crossover. :( Doesn't even have to be a platformer, I'd take an RPG or something.

Well for the aforementioned reasons, I just don't see it happening (Why would Nintendo take this project up for example?), I'd say an RPG is even worse, since it doesn't have as wide of an appeal. I cant think of any RPG's that sold really well on the wii (Mario Kart Wii trounced Super Paper Mario RPG Wii for example).

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a platformer crossover rm but unfortunately, other then for the interest of certain fans and/or fanwank, I just don't see the interest from either Sega or Nintendo to do so,

I still think if a hypothetical Mario and Sonic platformer was announced for Project Cafe it would be a HUGE deal. I can see that game alone selling many consoles. That a good enough reason for Nintendo to want to take on the job?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I still think if a hypothetical Mario and Sonic platformer was announced for Project Cafe it would be a HUGE deal. I can see that game alone selling many consoles. That a good enough reason for Nintendo to want to take on the job?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think casual gamers are more likely to buy Olympic games and they're probably a large amount of the buyers of the M&S series.

Edited by MarcelloF

Thanks, Woun!

OMFG, Windy Valley *faints*

screenshot_36945.jpg

Yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes.

Hey look, the return of Sonic DS Tech Demo!

screenshot36960.jpg

Edited by Tobbii

Sweet, Windy Valley! Nice! :D I also dig the Yoshi's Story-like 2D stage for the Long Jump. :)

Nice to see Judo confirmed, as well. Wasn't Judo originally rumored to be in the first game? Looking forward to seeing Sonic and Mario judo-ing it up in 3D.

Sucks that we don't get any new characters, though. Oh well, maybe they'll throw us a bone and give us some more sweet cameos as bosses. :)

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Metal Sonic confirmed for water-proof :P

screenshot_36956.jpg

Wow, those Dream Events do look pretty sweet. I am impressed. Also, ONM confirms badminton for the Wii version, which is insta-win!

Check out this awesome screen from the 3DS version... it's Brawl all over again!

screenshot_36957.jpg

And whoever came up with this idea of using Big Ben on the hurdles for horse-riding is a ruddy genius:

screenshot_36947.jpg

PLUS! Wenlock and Mandeville show up in all the background-y bits, on signs and whatnot. Totally called it :P

Lol Sonic riding that horse just looks really out of place XD also Sonic Adventure levels will be in the game oh sweet ;D

If I had to guess, I'd say Yoshi's Story.

Because Omochao is awesome.

Fuck. I've been dying to Sonic Free Riders. Sega wanted me dead in M&S 2012? Oh not.

Fuck. I've been dying to Sonic Free Riders. Sega wanted me dead in M&S 2012? Oh not.

Just do what I do whenever I see Big as a recurring character.

Shotgun a bottle of Jack Daniels and pretend to be happy for the people who want him there. :lol:

Gotta say I am impressed with the quality of the graphics I am seeing out of the 3DS. Those character models are mighty impressive, and they really aren’t holding back on the 50 events tagline either.

Judo and speedwalking! Nice. I hope they can cram a marathon / biathlon in there for kicks.

Metal Sonic confirmed for water-proof :P

screenshot_36956.jpg

Why does he need to catch air?

• Thumbs Up 5