Awoo.

Best voice actor for C. Sonic?

Sami

This is a terrible thing and you should feel terrible.

And why is that?

Calvin and Hobbes are characters with dialogue. How exactly does that make them on the level of Gromit who is functionally mute?

Edited by Razorsaw
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because the Sega Genesis couldn't do voices, at least not without it being degraded into a garbled mess. I can guarantee, if the technology was there, he'd talk, at least a little bit. They gave him a few words the first chance they got (Sonic CD) and didn't hesitate to go for fully voiced cutscenes when the technology allowed it (SA).

What I think he means is keeping Sonic back to his roots, despite technical limitations. I myself would like Sonic mute because that's one of the things I find appealing about Classic Sonic. Hell, maybe it was best that Classic Sonic didn't have a voice on the MegaDrive. It'd be much more charming in my view if Sonic only used verbal expressions to communicate or to express himself like a silent film, seen as how he's inspired by Mickey Mouse.

Sometimes it's best to leave a character the way it is, even if it's been influenced by technical limitations. A good example is Mario. Mario is the way he is because of technical limitations.

Yeah it was so fucking bizarre when he started talking in 1999, I'm glad they stopped doing that...oh, wait.

He meant it'd sound weird on Classic Sonic. Seen as how he's never had a voice in-game. I mean calm down dude

Fuck 'em, they'd only be pissed off because of their warped interpretation of the character. And honestly I doubt many casuals/former fans would care, considering they got a heavy dose of Sonic talking from the cartoons.

When is interpretating Classic Sonic without a voice warped? If there is anything you should know, it's that SEGA's Sonic is not the same as SATam or AOSTH's Sonic. Alot of people including myself interperated Classic Sonic as mute. That's the charm about him. His Badassery could still be expressed through his actions. Having him without a voice would make him more neutrel in my view because if he were to have a voice the challenge would be to bring his personality to life while pleasing every fan at the same time seen as how Sonic has had many interperatations. If he's without a voice it'd be like how people remembered him in the Genesis Days. You're more Adventure style, but we must not forget, this is a game that's supposed be for both Classic and Modern Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Don't forget Sonic Schoolhouse. :)

The creepy thing is not just the sound of the voice but the fact that the sole voice credits to that piece of software went to a Meg Inglima, which again proves that for a second time, Sonic has been voiced by a woman :blink: But unlike Keiko Utoku, there's really no effort there to sound masculine.

Besides, Sonic games around 1996/1997 with the exception of Sonic Jam had one ugly C Sonic (If that Sonic design could be constituted as "C Sonic"), it was a different design to the C Sonic depicted in and before Sonic & Knuckles. It was the Sonic design X-Treme made use of especially. Just something about that particular Sonic design really really rubs me the wrong way. The eyes look creepy in a way.

Edited by Verte

What I think he means is keeping Sonic back to his roots,
Man fuck that phrase I'm still tired of hearing it.

despite technical limitations.
So let's make him pixelated as well, to fully capture the technical limitations that we have decided are somehow integral to the character.

Sometimes it's best to leave a character the way it is, even if it's been influenced by technical limitations. A good example is Mario. Mario is the way he is because of technical limitations.
Thank you so much for to playing my game! Welcome, new galaxy!

Yeah, sure, Mario being a man of few words may have come from being a mute due to low tech, but once they had the ability to give him a voice, they made a conscious choice, and it was not to leave him a full mute. Sega chose to have Sonic be talkative, and since it is all the same Sonic...

He meant it'd sound weird on Classic Sonic. Seen as how he's never had a voice in-game.
It's the same guy. And he spoke in CD, anyway.

I mean calm down dude
No.

When is interpretating Classic Sonic without a voice warped?
Because it's based on a technical limitation rather than a stated aspect of the character.

Alot of people including myself interperated Classic Sonic as mute.
So you and others misinterpreted a technical limitation as a character trait. To emphasize: misinterpreted.

His Badassery could still be expressed through his actions.
Having a voice doesn't (or at least shouldn't) change that. A character's expressions, body language, and actions are still a major part of their characterization, even if they talk.

Having him without a voice would make him more neutrel in my view because if he were to have a voice the challenge would be to bring his personality to life while pleasing every fan at the same time seen as how Sonic has had many interperatations.
This is still true anyway, and choosing whether or not to have him voiced is part of the equation as well.

You're more Adventure style, but we must not forget, this is a game that's supposed be for both Classic and Modern Sonic fans.
I have been with this series since Sonic 2, and S3&K is one of my favorite games in the series. I'm not "more Adventure style", I'm just not obsessed with preserving the bullshit I made up to fill the gaps in his character.
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Okay Diognenes, for instance Link. It's the 21th century and he still says.....nothing. Just grunts and whines depending on what happens. And I do not recall DK actually talking. Same for Crash. That fucker has never said a word. Just done his uber great dance and looked crazy. And thank you Canofepicsauce (never typing that again). You understood what I was saying. And uh C. sonic talking outside of games? Uh it is a cartoon you know. Most cartoons talk when they are not in a video game. Hell even the flickies talked. The chao in SONIC X said Chao just like pokemon. So I really don't see why you are tripping about sonic NOT talking in Generations. And it would be better if he didn't. So please chill the fuck out. No use burning me and EpicSauce for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Why is it so bad for Classic Sonic to talk?

Last I checked, the only expressions the in-game Sonic game showed was "Oh no, I'm falling" and "You're wasting my time, get on with it".

Other that, he showed no personality in any of the canon games. Sure in promotional artwork, but that isn't in the game. As soon as they could SEGA gave Sonic a voice (aka Sonic Adventure on the dreamcast) up until then the hardware simply could not support it.

Allowing him to speak means he can convey emotion through words as well as expressions. See the best medium is a balance of expressivness and speech. I really don't like characters who don't speak, unless the main character is just an in game model of you. Sonic has his own defining characteristics that make him unique, not giving him a voice would make him charming, but it wouldn't flesh him out as a character.

Of course it needs to be written well, but still, I think it would be best to give him a voice and just have him talk less rather than not talk at all.

Of course SEGA will probably not do this and make him a mute anyway, for fear of backlash.

Okay Diognenes, for instance Link. It's the 21th century and he still says.....nothing. Just grunts and whines depending on what happens

That's because Link is the video game avatar of the player. If he were to say something, he would become his own character and the sense of immersion would be lost. Sonic games are not like this.

And no, there is no objective advantage to have Sonic be mute. Its nothing more than a personal preference.

I personally think that Classic Sonic (and modern Sonic....and every other character) needs to use more expression, but at the same time speak and interact, but just not talk and talk and talk and talk. You can't develop a character who can't talk. You can't develop his/her relationship with other characters without speach or having to resort to speech bubbles.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5

Okay Diognenes, for instance Link. It's the 21th century and he still says.....nothing. Just grunts and whines depending on what happens. And I do not recall DK actually talking. Same for Crash. That fucker has never said a word. Just done his uber great dance and looked crazy.
"Some characters don't talk, therefore..."? Therefore what?

And it would be better if he didn't. So please chill the fuck out.
I'm not convinced.

No use burning me and EpicSauce for no reason.
I have plenty of reasons.

Sonic may have been silent in the main trilogy, but outside of that he was almost more of a chatterbox than the cast of Sonic Heroes. The comics? He talked. The shows? He talked. The movie? He talked. The commercials? He talked. Sonic CD, Sonic Jam, Sonic Schoolhouse, quite a few miscellaneous arcade titles? He talked. Classic Sonic was far from a mute; I'm sure if the technology allowed Sonic would have been shouting smack-talk at Robotnik in as soon as you met him in Green Hill Zone.

I wouldn't mind if they made Classic Sonic mostly silent in this title, however. It might be a cute homage to Sonic's inspirations to feature Classic Sonic Mickey Mousing his emotions or preforming the famous Felix pace. Sonic's younger self's lack of speech could be explained by a problem with the time riff preventing modern Sonic from hearing his chubby counterpart, or something to that effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a classic Sonic fan, and I want him to talk. It just seems silly to make him mute. Yes, actions speak louder than words, but saying that C. Sonic talking is different than Adventure Sonic talking after years of silence in the genesis titles is nonsense, if you ask me. Even if they hadn't changed his design, I'm sure he woulda talked. Just look at the OVA. :P

Sonic is not and never was a silent era cartoon character. He can still be expressive and have a voice, guys.

And it would be better if he didn't.

Opinions. Not everyone agrees. :B

Sonic is not Crash, Mario, Link, etc. Sonic is Sonic. And IIRC, his Japanese characterization had him pretty talkative too?

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't necessarily use the coming-around of Adventure as some smoking gun that Sonic was always meant to talk, as talking came with a whole bunch of new aesthetic and gameplay decisions that we constantly argue should have never even happened in the first place, decisions that are not in line with the "series roots" or "what the series stood for" and other such conservative bull.

And regardless of relatively-paltry number of voice clips we have in games people didn't play much in their heyday, (sans CD, I guess; really, how did that go?), the general consensus nonetheless is that Sonic was a true silent protagonist up until the Adventure rebranding. That's not an idiotic consensus conjured up by nostalgic "retards," because the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of his classic appearances had him silent even when it would've been more possible to throw in grunts, a series of ungarbled statements at least in the 3D games like R or Fighters, or hell, actual text. There were workarounds even with Genesis technology-- I refuse to believe otherwise after being pounded over the head for years about the life-changing innovation of pinball physics-- but Sega never pursued them. Frankly, you could more easily argue the intent to keep him silent during the golden age than you could the idea that his Adventure appearance is more true to life. Silent C.Sonic is a valid depiction of the character, and this argument in trying to prove whether or not it is stinks of elitism to me. =P

Personally though, I said that I'd prefer C.Sonic didn't talk, not only because I too consider it an actual character trait, but because it'd be a funny way for the two Sonics to play off of each other. The more contrast, the better; this game is supposed to be a celebration of Sonic throughout various eras, and it won't do any good to skimp on or downplay any differences that actively defined those eras, including the sudden introduction of dialogue. However, if it is to be willed that C.Sonic have a voice, give it to Roger and hope for the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Roger Craig Smith with a voice filter to make him sound younger by heightening the pitch.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is that most games were silent, not just Sonic. Does that mean the characters were meant to be silent as a character trait? Not at all! Story-oriented gaming just wasn't as important back then, outside of RPGs. Very few platform titles had dialogue.

I'm sorry, but the concept suddenly arising in this topic that a silent character is completely incapable of having development or even being interesting is just foreign to me. Anyone here actually sit down to watch Charlie Chaplin? Laurel and Hardy? If that's too old-school for you, what about the oft-mentioned Wallace and Gromit toons and film? What about WALL-E and EVE? The Pixar shorts? What about the silent portion of Up; Were you not moved at all? These were not bad characters with the soulless, undeveloped personalities, nor ware the scene and shorts in question some travesty to film-making. Nonetheless, just because a character talks doesn't mean he's guaranteed to have all the development and personality of a Shakespearean creation.

Edited by Nepenthe

I'm not saying that silent characters are bad, don't get me wrong. I just think it's silly for classic Sonic to be silent just because he was silent in the genesis games-- especially since most games at the time had no dialogue.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't mind which voice Classic Sonic has because I liked them all. The voice wars really kicked in with Modern Sonic. Though if I had to choose one, I'd go for Jaleel White.

I'm not saying that silent characters are bad, don't get me wrong. I just think it's silly for classic Sonic to be silent just because he was silent in the genesis games-- especially since most games at the time had no dialogue.

So what if it was an industry standard? Pinball physics and using a game to directly market the extreme graphical prowess of a console weren't industry-standards at the time, but Sega went out on a limb and bothered to do it; dialogue should be no exception.

Besides, the overhanging argument going on here as I see it is that apparently Sonic was never meant to be a silent protagonist despite the fact Sega never went out of their way to show this intent in the most beloved of games themselves, even though it was technologically possible back then; I mean, we got a traditionally-animated opening before we could even get as much as a textbox.

And what we have for evidence of this notion are a very few rare quotes in spin-offs that the overwhelming majority of people who played the games in their heyday never even heard or ever will hear, and that's suddenly supposed to be the smoking gun that Sonic from Adventure onwards is more true to life than his classic counterpart and that anyone who thinks otherwise is riding on nostalgia or some false notion when frankly, the perception is ultimately Sega's fault. It's bullcrap.

Simply put, Adventure Sonic in all his mouthiness and animation and Classic Sonic with his stern, silent gaze are both valid depictions of a character that has changed radically and often throughout his lifetime, and recognizing that in this game, especially one that aims to celebrate all of the eras and their inherent differences, shouldn't be such a problem as to bring out the ol' "nostalgia fag" argument or start suddenly suggesting and implying that silent characters just aren't as interesting or engaging as ones that talk. Although to be clear, I wasn't only talking to you. tongue.gif

Edited by Nepenthe

Man fuck that phrase I'm still tired of hearing it.

Well get used to it. People want him how he was in the Genesis games. Deal with it.

So let's make him pixelated as well, to fully capture the technical limitations that we have decided are somehow integral to the character.

But then again we're straying off topic in the sense that we still must wonder weather Sonic was supposed to have a voice or not. Even then, using that analogy just doesn't fit the context because even with technical limitations they were still able to portray Sonic meaning with technology they can portray him better visually because being pixelized isn't one of his traits. If Classic Sonic were to have a voice they'd have to Add something instead of improve something.

Thank you so much for to playing my game! Welcome, new galaxy!

Yeah, sure, Mario being a man of few words may have come from being a mute due to low tech, but once they had the ability to give him a voice, they made a conscious choice, and it was not to leave him a full mute. Sega chose to have Sonic be talkative, and since it is all the same Sonic...

Dude if you do did your research you'd find out I wasn't talking about his voice, but rather his design. His arms were a problem when he walked, so they put on overalls. they couldn't program hair so they gave him a hat, it was too hard to put in a mouth so they gave him a mustache. Does that mean that Nintendo should just make Mario look the way they intended at first with the avaiable technology, or should they do what is for the best? (Meaning keeping him the way he is)

It's the same guy. And he spoke in CD, anyway.

Sonic speaking in CD wasn't a big deal, it was just "YES!" and "I'm outta here!", and not to mention I don't think everyone liked his voice in that game.

No.

Shame, I thought you were supposed to be civil

Because it's based on a technical limitation rather than a stated aspect of the character.

So you and others misinterpreted a technical limitation as a character trait. To emphasize: misinterpreted.

Again, how do you know if Sonic was supposed to talk in the games? Therefore I can say that you "misinterperated" Classic Sonic. The point is, just keep him like in the Genesis days with a graphical update instead of adding something in (A voice). It'd be better if they had Sonic the way he was on the Genesis rather than having SEGA create a new personality for Classic Sonic and possibly disappointing others. What you fail to realise is that Classic Sonic has had many interperatations, without a voice or not. If he were to have a voice and full dialogue SEGA would have to create they're own interperation of Classic Sonic which could contradict others's.

But then again, this might not even be about how people interperated Classic Sonic, maybe it's just having him the way they remember him. Does that make them delusional fanboys?

Having a voice doesn't (or at least shouldn't) change that. A character's expressions, body language, and actions are still a major part of their characterization, even if they talk.

This is still true anyway, and choosing whether or not to have him voiced is part of the equation as well.

I didn't say it was the only way, I said it'd be better in my view.

I have been with this series since Sonic 2, and S3&K is one of my favorite games in the series. I'm not "more Adventure style", I'm just not obsessed with preserving the bullshit I made up to fill the gaps in his character.

Well I'm sorry for the miscalculation

Edited by CanofEpicSauce
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Well get used to it. People want him how he was in the Genesis games. Deal with it.

Shame, I thought you were supposed to be civil

Dude, please don't insult the great Diogenes. <_<

Either way, I doubt he's going to be silent. SEGA specifically told RCS to use a deeper voice for Colors to make him sound older. Just think about it. :B He probably won't make grunts during gameplay, but he still might talk during cutscenes.

Edited by Mega

But to be relevant with the conversation I was having, let me just say that this might not even be about interperatations, but rather prefering he has no voice just like he did in the Genesis days for the sake of nostalgia. Some people just like him without a voice and I don't see why Diogenes should blast anyone for having that preference

Oh hai person that spends all her time on the Sega Forums.

Why hallo thar, Sonic5993 Shadic. ^^

We've already said why that isn't his voice. Sound effects (including voice clips) are added in post production to trailers. It's nowhere to be heard in the actual gameplay.

That's super chill, man, but that's not the reason why I posted that link. Nor does the link say that the voice in the trailer is C!Sonic. ^^; Oooorrr I could totally be misreading and you're saying that you already know that, which is also super chill.

However, this is the reason why I posted that:

why is it that big of a deal for classic sonic to have a voice?

why does a admin respond to the complaint about voices but not other threads about gameplay...

Although, if this has already been brought up, then I blame my skimming habits. X3;

• Thumbs Up 1

To everyone who wants C. Sonic to have a voice. Why? He didn't have a voice in his time not counting the few noices he made in CD. It would be really odd for him to have a voice now.

Because he talks in my game manuals. He also is very talkative in the Sonic Bible written by SEGA development staff that served as the basis for various media based off of Sonic. He was talkative and pretty vain yet also sweet and cool and kawaii desu.