Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

How people accidentally mix up Sonic's robotic copies made by Robotnik.

deatheggsonic2.jpg

Silver Sonic= Sonic 2 boss. Has no name. Pretty big, pretty useless. Barely has attacks.

Metal_Sonic_14.png

Metal Sonic= Most famous of all, appeared in Sonic CD for the first time. Seems to be an improvement from Silver Sonic. Appears in countless games as an unlockable character.

defaultfv.jpg

Mecha Sonic= Sonic 3 & Knuckles Boss. Three times for Sonic, one time for Knuckles. Seems to be an improvement from Metal Sonic. Absorbed the powers of the Master Emerald, and "killed" Robotnik, making him the most rebellious, coolest robotic copy of them all. In my opinion. :P

EDIT: just noticed that the very same Forum creator pointed that out. My bad! xD

But I really don't understand Shadow's history. It's not very logical, per se. D:

Edited by Tatsumaki
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Metal Sonic= ... Seems to be an improvement from Silver Sonic.

Mecha Sonic= ... Seems to be an improvement from Metal Sonic.

I'm not so sure about this. To me it makes more sense that Silver and Mecha are one lineage, and Metal is a separate one. Mecha inherited a lot of Silver's moves and fighting style, while Metal doesn't act like either of them. It matches how the games fit in the series, too; S3&K is a direct sequel to Sonic 2 (thus Mecha is the new-and-improved Silver), while CD is kind of a side game. Plus there's Eggman's base in SA; there's a tube with Metal Sonic, and a tube with...well it doesn't really look entirely like Silver or Mecha, but it's kind of in between the two.

But I really don't understand Shadow's history. It's not very logical, per se. D:
What part?

...That Mohawk Sonic was the original Sonic.

Oh god yes. I hated the interpretation Satam's and AoStH's animators had of Sonic's spines, making his spines into a mohican-like layout. It's almost as if they wanted to make Sonic more punkish. It's intriguing because even back then, Sonic had 6 spines on the back of his head in the game media as proven by sprites and the back of his head shown in Sonic 2's Special Stage. The other intriguing thing was that SEGA was apparently very strict with Sonic's depictions back in those days. So the animators getting away with incorrect spines is unusual.

Didn't those animators give Sonic four fingers too? Sonic has five, always has had five and always will have five fingers.

This, a thousand times this. D8 Also they have cute bean-feet and no nails at all as proven by DarkSpine Sonic.

...When you think about it, their feet are basically shaped like shoes that are naturally attached to their legs. Something about this oddly makes sense for Sonic.

I agree. I really can't put my finger on it but I find their unusual toe-less feet oddly appropriate. I dunno, I just find them with humanoid toed feet squicky but then I really don't like Sonic characters being given more human-esque features such as necks and defined muscles. It just feels as if it blurs the line between anthropomorphic animal and human and there's a real uncanny valley factor there that is truly squicky.

Also, how the hell can ANYONE percieve Darkspine Sonic as wearing shoes? If you actually bother to look at his feet, he was those white bands going across the bottom of his feet which would not be so if he had shoe soles and the ankle structure just beneath his ankle rings clearly shows his bare feet attached to the bottom of his legs. There's no socks there either. Even the in-game model of Darkspine has distinctly foot-like feet, with even a defined heel and fur texture.

Edited by Verte

Didn't those animators give Sonic four fingers too? Sonic has five, always has had five and always will have five fingers.

Yep.

Sonicaosth.png

Also here:

satamsonic.jpg

And here:

250px-Sonic_Spinball_Box.jpeg

It buuuurns!

Edited by Inferno

Ironically, I believe that the American Sonic Spinball manual had a picture of Sonic with buckles on his shoes inside. :lol:

I know a lot of people have mistaken Tails for a female, but when I was a kid it was Knuckles who everyone seemed to think was a chick! I guess it was cos he was more pinkish when he first appeared, and all the kids around here just assumed and kept referring to him as "Sonic's new girlfriend" which drove me mental at the time. I remember waving issues of STC at them where Knuckles was blatantly referred to as a male, but none of them would listen to me and just kept on saying "she" anyway and that misconception stuck with them for quite a while.

When one of them picked up SA2 a long, long time afterwards, I remember him saying that I was right all those years earlier. Well, duh. :lol:

I'm not so sure about this. To me it makes more sense that Silver and Mecha are one lineage, and Metal is a separate one. Mecha inherited a lot of Silver's moves and fighting style, while Metal doesn't act like either of them. It matches how the games fit in the series, too; S3&K is a direct sequel to Sonic 2 (thus Mecha is the new-and-improved Silver), while CD is kind of a side game. Plus there's Eggman's base in SA; there's a tube with Metal Sonic, and a tube with...well it doesn't really look entirely like Silver or Mecha, but it's kind of in between the two.

What part?

Totally got lost after SA2. It's complicated, because one Shadow supposedly survived whilst there are other copies? Ugh, I really don't know.

Totally got lost after SA2. It's complicated, because one Shadow supposedly survived whilst there are other copies? Ugh, I really don't know.

Basically everyone finds out that he's actually alive, but then he might not be the real Shadow and might actually be a robot clone, but then he isn't a clone and is the real Shadow anyway.

Now if you want to know how his BACKSTORY works..... hooo boy.

Eggman had one of his robots rescue Shadow from his fall at the end of SA2. He brings him to his base, puts him in a pod with Omega guarding him, and begins making the Shadow Androids. At the start of Heroes, Rouge sneaks into Eggman's base, frees Shadow, etc etc. Shadow, presumably due to exhausting himself fighting the Biolizard/Finalhazard, has amnesia, and with the androids around, it's not clear to anyone (except Eggman, and he's not telling...yet) if he's the real one or one of the androids. Then ShtH starts up, with its terrible alien twist (essentially, Gerald made an agreement with Black Doom; Gerald would use Doom's DNA to help finish Project Shadow, and in return Shadow would help Doom take over Earth 50 years later). Most of the rest of ShtH can be ignored; the only other thing that matters is at the very end, when Eggman reveals that the Shadow you play as is indeed the real Shadow.

One misconception that is recent is that some people misinterpret the Hedgehog Engine as a gameplay engine, and not a graphics engine. This forum is thankfully very good of the knowledge about it, but sometimes there's a slip, but that often gets quickly corrected.

Oh, here's a peculiar one.

Crimson Carnival

No such level in any Sonic game exists. I have checked over every version of Sonic Unleashed, and Eggmanland is never referred to as this once. It annoys me too OCD-wise that Eggmanland breaks the mould of every other country by not having a seperate Sonic style "level name" for it's Act(s - depending on version), but what, did someone just make this name up and it caught on? Was it used in that leaked strategy guide before the game came out?

I'm a total nerd for Sonic level names and I do LIKE this name so kinda wish it was in the game, but it isn't. Where did it come from?

Edited by JezMM

Crimson Carnival

No such level in any Sonic game exists. I have checked over every version of Sonic Unleashed, and Eggmanland is never referred to as this once. It annoys me too OCD-wise that Eggmanland breaks the mould of every other country by not having a seperate Sonic style "level name" for it's Act(s - depending on version), but what, did someone just make this name up and it caught on? Was it used in that leaked strategy guide before the game came out?

I'm a total nerd for Sonic level names and I do LIKE this name so kinda wish it was in the game, but it isn't. Where did it come from?

If I recall correctly, Sonic Wikia is the site that started the "Eggmanland's stage is Crimson Carnival" malarky when absolutely nothing, be it act information header in 360 version, title at the start of a Wii/PS2 version mission or concept art in Wii/PS2 reveals the name of EggmanLand's act(s).

Official strategy guides by Prima or Bradygames are not a source to go by as they are often stashed with factual errors. "Gold Sonic" and Hyper Shadow" in the Sonic Heroes and SA2 guide respectively anyone?

Edited by Verte

Crimson Carnival

I thought it came from rips of the soundtrack when the game was first out. People referred to the hub music by country/city name, and the levels by the actual level names. Like

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUNt43mnYAw. Now, such couldn't be done for Eggmanland so someone coined the name Crimson Carnival.

It's funny you mentioned that, because I came into this topic to mention the way that people always seem too fucking stupid to call the Unleashed stages by their names. I know it's very, very petty, but I can't get over it. That level where you climb the clock tower and then grind all the way back down? Yeah it's Rooftop Run, not Spagonia. And that level where you run across those wooden dragons? It's not Chun-Nan, it's Dragon Road. Eesh.

Oh and for all you guys saying you or someone you know thought Knuckles was a girl...

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah it's Rooftop Run, not Spagonia. And that level where you run across those wooden dragons? It's not Chun-Nan, it's Dragon Road. Eesh.

I'm still calling it Adabat. :\

Same

I also constantly get 'Sonic is a game for babies' as a reaction to whether I talk about him. It annoys me so much that I forced my dad to play ShTH to get the point that it isn't just 5 year olds that play Sonic.

I apologize for that comment

Sonic Games suck when their not from the 90's.

That's an opinion but I honestly don't enen think some of the "Bad" games are that bad Sonic Heroes was fun, Shadow while kind of weird wasn't all that bad, Unleashed was fun for the most part (Friggin Werehog ruining my fun <_< ) and Colors is one of the best in recent years IMO.

I'm not saying they've all been fantastic but there not as bad as people make them out to be.

Oh, by the way a hell of a misconception I had once:

That Marine is aquakinetic. Yeah. The only reason I even got this implication was because a friend and I were talking about Marine and he happened to bring up aquakenesis. I have no idea why he mentioned that, seeing as she never controls water throughout the entire game. At least, once I actually played Rush Adventure I realized how amazingly false this was. :P

Here's one. That the buckles on Sonic's shoes are part of the modern redesign, when Sonic's actually had them in promotional art much earlier then that. As far back as Sonic CD if I'm not mistaken.

Sonic Generations might stand to clear that up.

Edited by Cuz

Apart from many fan artists getting Amy's belly wrong by making it peach like Sonic's, no-one seems to be able to get Darkspine Sonic's spines correct either, portraying him with cranial quills exactly identical to normal form when they are much like Knuckles quills, only looking like Sonic's normal quill style when they are being blown backwards via wind and/or motion. Just look! The way they are connected to Darkspine's head is very different to how normal form's quills are connected to his head;

darkspinespine-1.png

They are inclined to look near-identical to Knuckles spines when Darkspine is stationary. They are not anything like normal Sonic's quills.

When I saw the Sonic Heroes intro the first time, I thought Espio was a dinosaur, a Centrosaurus to be specific. (That was before I know that Knuckles' Chaotix existed.)

When I was 4-5 years old I though Tails was a squirrel.

I thought Tails was a girl.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apart from many fan artists getting Amy's belly wrong by making it peach like Sonic's, no-one seems to be able to get Darkspine Sonic's spines correct either, portraying him with cranial quills exactly identical to normal form when they are much like Knuckles quills, only looking like Sonic's normal quill style when they are being blown backwards via wind and/or motion. Just look! The way they are connected to Darkspine's head is very different to how normal form's quills are connected to his head;

darkspinespine-1.png

They are inclined to look near-identical to Knuckles spines when Darkspine is stationary. They are not anything like normal Sonic's quills.

Oh cool, I've never noticed that one before.

DSSonic.png