Awoo.

Let's go out of the box for a minute.

Djawed

We're getting a new sonic game again. This is always great news, especially when it took so long. In my mind I was looking forward to some changes. Changes in the way that they were finally aiming for more quality. Sonic colors may have been a small title, but it gave a hint/signal on the direction they were taking. Sonic's 20th would finally be a sonic game where they would pour more effort in than any other sonic game. I mean it took so long so yay pumped up.

Sonic generations gets shown and we see c.sonic gameplay and m.sonic. Great stuff.

Now let's all take a step back and try to view this from a neutral perspective. I assume most of us play other better games beside sonic. Now we have all these other games that are so epic and then there's sonic generations. Is sonic generations looking great from that perspective? Have sonicteam really outdone themselves?

When I did this, sonic generations began to look average, as in pretty average for todays standards. I have a weird feeling sonic generations might score below average again, even after sonic colors scoring well

Edited by Jaouad

Visually speaking, it's just as epic as all the other epic games outside the series.

Aside from that, it's really a case of YMMV. Given how we haven't seen anything past the first level it's not exactly known what they have going on in the later stages, but seeing how Modern Sonic's gameplay is that of Unleashed/Colors anyone can see this as them not doing anything to make the formula last.

And Classic Sonic is practically that of fanservice. Although while that's not a bad thing, it doesn't seem to offer much new from what we've seen.

So if you take a neutral standpoint, there's not much to consider thinking Sonic Team have outdone themselves in anything but the visuals.

From a neutral side?

Hmmm I play FPS's all the time and then when I'm bored of those I pop in Assassins creed 2/brotherhood. Visually this game would catch my attention and with the fan service C. Sonic is pulling of course that would grab my interest. But also after seeing a full run of both sonic, I'd have to say it's something above average. It doesn't let me explore like AC does so that would turn me a way a little. And after some of sonic's past games....black knight, secret rings and 06 I would be VERY VERY iffy about this game. But that's just what I think. It looks above average and if C. Sonic delivers like Sega and others are planning, I (neutral me) would expect this game to go far. Not on Mario galaxy 2 level far but far enough where people of all ages would be happy. Something that will be remembered like the infamous Sonic Adventure 2.

It's hard to say without physically playing Sonic Generations to make any sort of evaluation that is not visual based. But personally on a strictly gameplay basis, I saw SA+SA2 more mind blowing than Sonic Generations. Like yay, 2 gameplay styles in Generations! Whoopdeedoo, SA had 6 (7+ if you count mini games, Super Sonic, Chao, etc) and SA had 3 (again 4+ if you count Supers, Chao, mini games, etc). I may be one of the few who actually enjoyed Big's fishing game style and detested Amy's playing style (I hate being pressed for time or not being able to explore due to being stalked by rapist bot). I'm more into a gamestyle that allows me to sit back and chillax after blazing through like 10 speed zones.

I also can't make any calls about the story of Generations since we got the bare bones gist of it. But anyway, I'm still going to buy 5 copies of Generations because MODERN x CLASSIC IS <33333

well from what i am seeing from commentaries of people in game sites outside the fan based the game is being some what well received for a sonic game

Visually speaking, it's just as epic as all the other epic games outside the series.

Aside from that, it's really a case of YMMV. Given how we haven't seen anything past the first level it's not exactly known what they have going on in the later stages, but seeing how Modern Sonic's gameplay is that of Unleashed/Colors anyone can see this as them not doing anything to make the formula last.

And Classic Sonic is practically that of fanservice. Although while that's not a bad thing, it doesn't seem to offer much new from what we've seen.

So if you take a neutral standpoint, there's not much to consider thinking Sonic Team have outdone themselves in anything but the visuals.

But to be honest, considering Sonic's current state, it's less "Sonic Team need to outdo themselves in something" and more "Sonic Team really need to make the game that gets back on track". But we're getting there slowly. Sonic Colours already proved this. One step at a time I say.

Are these "other games" platformers, at least decent looking ones?

There's something I wish gamers would realize as well as Sonic fans: there are very few platformers these days, much less decent ones. Even though 2D platforming in on the rise, 3D platforming is still in the dust in terms of quality. Name me any good 3D platformers this generation that don't have the words Mario and Galaxy in them. What, Epic Mickey? Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts? Flip's Twisted World? Obligatory DreamWorks Licensed Game? Yeah, those are much better than Sonic Unleashed or Colors.

I'm sick of first-person shooters and sandbox crime games, and I'm sick of gamers giving them all the acclaim in favor of straight-up platformers. I'm also sick of gamers knocking Sonic games as though there are several much better alternatives when there aren't. There aren't many 3D platformers out there, and when there are, they underperform critically and commercially. People compare Sonic to Mario all the time, but do they compare Sonic to other platforming series? No, because they don't deliver what Sonic does. Even Ratchet and Clank don't, as good as those games are.

Clapping.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Is sonic generations looking great from that perspective? Have sonicteam really outdone themselves?
Not really.

I'm glad that (it looks like) they've finally got a handle on classic Sonic gameplay, but it's still just two decade old gameplay. I know that's kind of the point of the game, and if they take what they've learned and use it in the future that's great, but as for this one game it isn't all that much to look at.

And modern Sonic hasn't progressed even an inch from Unleashed. And I'm just not satisfied with that.

If everything works out, this'll be an ok game riding on hype.

I'd say Classic Sonic's levels are visually on par with DKC:Returns.

Modern Sonic's gameplay looks fun, but I'd like to see some actual 3D platforming.

I mean Hell, playing as Sonic in the hub worlds of Unleashed almost felt like a real platformer.

I'd say Classic Sonic's levels are visually on par with DKC:Returns.

On par? Don't joke. They look MUCH MUCH better than DKC Returns. I own the game (DKCR) so I know. As nice as the game looks, it really can't compare to these visuals.

Not really.

I'm glad that (it looks like) they've finally got a handle on classic Sonic gameplay, but it's still just two decade old gameplay. I know that's kind of the point of the game, and if they take what they've learned and use it in the future that's great, but as for this one game it isn't all that much to look at.

And modern Sonic hasn't progressed even an inch from Unleashed. And I'm just not satisfied with that.

If everything works out, this'll be an ok game riding on hype.

It doesn't look like it has progressed.

So far we've only seen stock footage.

We don't actually know for certain yet.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Therefore I am not allowed to make any negative judgments, right, right. I'm sorry I've broken the unwritten rules of conduct yet again and committed the horrible crime of thinking about a trailer.

Seriously this is fucking stupid. I'm not committing 100% to my judgments, if things change so will my opinion of the game, but I'm not going to not talk about how the game looks just because it might change and because negative opinions make people uncomfortable I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

Therefore I am not allowed to make any negative judgments, right, right. I'm sorry I've broken the unwritten rules of conduct yet again and committed the horrible crime of thinking about a trailer.

Seriously this is fucking stupid. I'm not committing 100% to my judgments, if things change so will my opinion of the game, but I'm not going to not talk about how the game looks just because it might change and because negative opinions make people uncomfortable I guess.

Like I said, Modern Sonic appears to have gone backwards, and that is disheartening to me just as much as it is to you. But, at this stage, I haven't seen enough yet.

All I've seen is some stock footage sent over to some gaming press websites.

Level design-wise, the Green Hill footage isn't much cause for optimism, but mechanically, it looks a little more tighter than Unleashed was, which certainly is an improvement.

Sonic Team haven't "outdone" shit. They're rehashing 2 different gameplay styles in rehashed stages. Which I think is the best possible thing they could have done for this title, given that, in a sense, it's a compilation of the franchise's finest. And with that said, both styles look really fun (though Modern Sonic needs a bit of polish, but I've exasperated that point enough), but Sonic Team can't pretend like they're trying something new; it's ground that we are retreading. Not only that, but it's the best stuff. Thus, if this game fails, it's going to fail hard. Like, harder than Sonic 2006's failure-hard.

All that said, I think as it stands, this game is shooting for the 9's. Last year started the uprise, I wanna see this game both continue on that sucess and build upon it. Besides, I literally cannot fathom a reason for this game to fail (for the aforementioned reasons) besides purely lazy implementation, which so far doesn't seem to be a problem. Like, at all.

Edited by EXshad

So far, it seems SEGA took some hints from Retro Studios for Classic Sonic Gameplay.

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

Oh come on people, you act like Sega have to do something ground breaking with every game, when Unleashed came out I bet we were all "OH MAH GAWD ITS AWESOME" because it was something new, and we've never seen before, fast forward to now; We've seen it twice already, and while its improved, its something we've already seen before therefore it looks monotonous and boring, I mean I felt the same way about Galaxy, its pretty much Mario 64 in space, that doesn't make it any less of a good game though, because after I played it, I loved it.

Companies can't think of something new to do with every game, I mean wasn't that a problem before with the series? The fact that it couldn't stick with a certain playstyle, we've gone through so many genres, its kinda nice to finally stick to one for a change.

So yeah, it may look boring and uneventful, but we'll have to wait and see if it changes.

• Thumbs Up 2

From a neutral standpoint?

It has the gameplay from the genesis games which were awesome, and hey, the day stages from Unleashed are in this game for the modern Sonic and those were awesome too. No stupid werehog, none of Sonic's friends are playable. Put two and two together, Sega are doing something right.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh come on people, you act like Sega have to do something ground breaking with every game,
No, they just need to try to improve with every game.

I mean I felt the same way about Galaxy, its pretty much Mario 64 in space,
Nnnnot really. I mean it's Mario in 3D, but there are different moves, a different sort of objective (it's still "collect stars", but one's "explore and find them" and the other is "platform to the end"), and there's the whole gravity gimmick. It's a pretty significant shift.

Companies can't think of something new to do with every game, I mean wasn't that a problem before with the series?
They changed, but they didn't really improve.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Apart from improved spectacle the Modern Side hasn't shown anything new in terms of gameplay changes, but again I will hold final judgement when we see Modern Sonic in later stages.

I think we are in for a treat actually, but you know its not like Sega going to be able to show it off with stock footage and its not like they can reveal the ENTIRE game right now. Sonic Generations right now is inoffensive, but even if its just plays like a tighter unleashed with remade levels from the past...its not an improvement per-say, but its not a BAD thing either.

Throw in Classic Sonic (assuming its going to be well made) in the mix and you got yourself a formula for easy success, hands down. The reception for this game has caught a lot of hardcore gamers and fans.

The spotlight is on right now...and there a lot of room for Sonic to take the year as best platformer...you know since the Mario Anniversary sucks balls.

Edited by Voyant

True

Nnnnot really. I mean it's Mario in 3D, but there are different moves, a different sort of objective (it's still "collect stars", but one's "explore and find them" and the other is "platform to the end"), and there's the whole gravity gimmick. It's a pretty significant shift.

Gravity is the only gimmick with Galaxy. The levels are Mario 64 in space, with less to render and even more linear stages. Hardly an innovation. It gets even worse with Galaxy 2, which uses the exact same engine with no changes, but with different level design. With this game its the opposite. The mechanics look to be significantly improved, but the level design has stayed similar and arguably worse

Can't argue with that.

I want to see them improve everything, but its hard to say if they will.

I'll give you that, who knows maybe they did improve the daytime stages.

I hardly count a small thing like a spin jump a new move, but even so we have a new trick system and gone are the god awful QTE's in Generations. And the whole collect the stars deal is unchanged from 64, because you can do exaclty the same, the only real difference is Galaxy's level design is more linear and streamlined, which makes getting through stages easier, and find the hidden stars easier.

True, and it didn't start getting better until Unleashed, and then Colors, but I'm pretty sure Generations will have Colors` improvements to the controls, and possibly some better 3D sections.

The levels are Mario 64 in space,
It's only "Mario 64 in space" in so much as 64 was Mario in 3D and Galaxy is Mario in 3D in space. The gravity gimmick makes for a pretty significant shift in gameplay, as does the more linear level design.

with less to render and even more linear stages. Hardly an innovation.
This sounds more butthurt than honest appraisal. The game wasn't some massive evolution to platforming, but it's a high-quality game that did plenty of things that previous games didn't.

It gets even worse with Galaxy 2, which uses the exact same engine with no changes, but with different level design.
I can't really fault the occasional "expansion pack" sort of game from Mario, because Nintendo's got such a good grasp on how the gameplay should work that sometimes it's hard to see how it even could be improved. Galaxy 2 took what they learned from the first, refined it, and added a bunch of new stuff, and as long as we don't end up with a Galaxy 3, 4, and 5, it was unambiguously a good thing.

With this game its the opposite. The mechanics look to be significantly improved,
...how? I'm really not seeing any significant differences.

Well, the parts where Sonic isn't boosting, it at the very least doesn't look like Sonic is sliding around the place.

Classic Sonic's mechanics look good enough to be considered a really huge improvement over Unleahed's 2D mechanics. I know they're using a seperate physics engine for it, but I reckon its just an improved/modified/refined Havok engine. Heck it could be a completely new physics engine for all we know.

It's only "Mario 64 in space" in so much as 64 was Mario in 3D and Galaxy is Mario in 3D in space. The gravity gimmick makes for a pretty significant shift in gameplay, as does the more linear level design.

So why can Mario be linear and not Sonic?

I can't really fault the occasional "expansion pack" sort of game from Mario, because Nintendo's got such a good grasp on how the gameplay should work that sometimes it's hard to see how it even could be improved. Galaxy 2 took what they learned from the first, refined it, and added a bunch of new stuff, and as long as we don't end up with a Galaxy 3, 4, and 5, it was unambiguously a good thing.

You might be correct about that, but I remember long timmmme ago when galaxy 2 vids were announced...everybody was kinda like..."Hey this looks JUST like Galaxy 1...its the same thing with no changes...bleh..." Now its like...1 of the most critically acclaimed Mario games of all time....

Hmmmmm sounds familiar?

Sonic does indeed look tighter, but I need more gameplay footage first and more people with hands on to be able to compare.