Awoo.

Dr. Eggman or Dr. Robotnik?

Myst

Again the problem that I have with modern Robotnik is that he's silly to the point where he doesn't feel like a threat to Sonic.

I beg the differ.

Oh yeah, and his PA announcements in Colors border on nightmare fuel levels of disturbing, especially since he never breaks his nonchalant tone while announcing some of the safety numerous hazards.

I'm not going to lie I'd prefer Robotnik to be 100% evil like he was in Satam

Well then he wouldn't be Robotnik then, would he?

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 9

Eh, I go with both names. I call him Robotnik when discussing or playing the classic games, and I call him Eggman when I discuss or play any of the current Sonic games.

The name really doesn't matter all that much to me.

Again the problem that I have with modern Robotnik is that he's silly to the point where he doesn't feel like a threat to Sonic.

By playing up his silly side they have unfortunately downplayed his evil side.

I'm not going to lie I'd prefer Robotnik to be 100% evil like he was in Satam(which has my favorite version of Robotnik). But if Robotnik is going to continue to be the main villain in the game canon then he needs to have his evil side shown just as often as his silly side.

There needs to be a balance, which lately there hasn't been.

I think your preference for "100% evil" villains has warped your perspective. In Unleashed, he zaps Super Sonic, (inadvertently) turning him into a monster, so he can use the energy to blast the planet into pieces and unleash a literal god of destruction. In Colors, he steals a planet so he can capture its alien inhabitants, transform them into dark forms, and use their power to brainwash everyone on Earth into being his slaves. At what point is Eggman failing to be evil, here?
  • Thumbs Up 5

At what point is Eggman failing to be evil, here?

He didn't take the opportunity to curb stomp the Werehog a few times before sending him off in space. Epic failure at being evil.

But to be serious, count me as another person who wouldn't be comfortable with a game Eggman that was Black Doom levels of pure evil. I grew up only looking at his exploits in the games, which really weren't all that threatening so much as a annoying and by-the-numbers, and AoStH which is, well, AoStH, so I'm more comfortable with the Unleashed/Colors interpretation of the character, and even balanced depictions of the character as in the Adventure series, then I would be some dark warlord type villain.

He didn't take the opportunity to curb stomp the Werehog a few times before sending him off in space. Epic failure at being evil.

He tries to correct it by directly fighting the Werehog while free-falling towards the earth's core in what would be the closet thing to an actual Hell this series would have, visually speaking.

That said, I prefer Eggman. Reason why is because he looks like an egg, names some of his machines after egg, seems to have a facination with eggs...yeah, that sounds like a good reason to call him Eggman.

An interesting thing to note is that I grew up with the name Robotnik first, playing Sonic 1 and 2 since I was 2 or 3 years old. Somehow, over time, I started to phase that out in favor for Eggman, but the two became no different since everyone knows both names and the character (singular, not plural :P).

But it's not like the name change really bothers me. What does bother me is how people start kicking and screaming over the name change despite the fact that it still refers to the same damn character, and even Sonic Team know that even though they use Eggman way more than Robotnik.

That and even if you think Robotnik sounds better and more menacing (which I think is just as silly as Eggman), the Eggman Empire rolls much better off the tongue than Robotnik Empire. :P

But each to there own.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

As someone who's been a part of the Western canon since Day One, I prefer Eggman over Robotnik by FAR. The Western marketing did a great job targeting the western ideologies of evil at the time: make evil ruthless, heartless, and devoid of humor. Robotnik prior to Adventure was supposed to be this evil sicko, and we got sucked in. However, this was a huge problem, because ST didn't intend to make Eggman like that at ALL. He was evil and egotistical, but whimsical and humorous. The Western marketing made him so hideously out of character that it wasn't funny. Adventure's Western script transitioned this from the Western canon to the Japanese canon, and SA2 took over with the current Japanese-style canon. Eggman works because it's funny; he's shaped like an egg nowadays, and overall works miles better in terms of IN CHARACTERIZATION than the Western storybuilding from 1991 to 1998.

Edited by Attitude Adjustment
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let me say this as someone who prefers SatAM to the game continuity...

I prefer game Robotnik. He's so much more entertaining. When I watch SatAM, I enjoy it, but Robotnik never does anything. It's always Snively who does his dirty work. For the SatAM 'verse, I'm far more invested in Sonic than his nemesis. The fact that Robotnik already achieved his plan is cool and all, but I do wish he had more of the personality he had in the pilot.

Always Eggman. Sometimes I let Robotnik slip for AoStH references because he's Dr. Rrrrrrrrrrrrobotnik! but generally yes, Eggman, even when referring to old games.

But I love the compromise they made with Robotnik being his family name and Eggman being his supervillian "monicker" in all regions.

I'll occasionally call him Robotnik when I'm talking to someone who would only recognize that name (or if I'm talking about the cartoons or early comics or whatever, obviously), but I'm normally an Eggman guy all the way. There was quite a long period between when I first played the classics and watched the cartoons and when I was reintroduced to the franchise a few years ago, so I didn't spend years calling the guy Robotnik like some people must have. I just heard 'Eggman', shrugged and moved on. There were more important things on my mind at the time, like the order all these damn newfangled games came in and what the hell a chao was supposed to be.

the Eggman Empire rolls much better off the tongue than Robotnik Empire. :P

Robotropolis beats all.

(or you could go with the Robotnik Republic :lol:)

As a pure name game, I always preferred Robotnik. I have come to grips and accepted the shift the series has made over to the Eggman side and that is the terminology I overwhelmingly use. Still, somewhere in the back of my head, whenever I say Eggman, I am secretly thinking about calling him Robotnik.

Shed no tears for DogTagz. Tis is my own tiny burden to bare.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think both are good robotnik is silly and evil but I think I like robotnik a little better. :lol:

But also in japan his name was just eggman until sonic adventure 2. ;)

I think both are good robotnik is silly and evil but I think I like robotnik a little better. :lol:

But also in japan his name was just eggman until sonic adventure 2. ;)

Sonic Adventure 1 actually.

I much prefer the name Robotnik, simply because I love the way it sounds, it's functional in bringing to mind badniks and machinery, and then there's the wonderful potential for dramatically rolling that 'R'...

I would have preferred for Eggman to 'remain' just a nickname for him used by his opponents (I use quotes because I know he was calling himself that from the start in original canon), but it doesn't ruin it for me.

But in my mind I will always think of him as Doctor Rrrrrobotnik!

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of like Doctor Robotnik better, it sorta makes the character sound more 'serious', and actually evil. I guess since Eggman is the Japanese name then they just suddenly stuck to it, but it's sorta like calling Bowser, Koopa out of nowhere.

But in my mind I will always think of him as Doctor Rrrrrobotnik!

That was the same what I was thinking to say. :D

My fovourite name is and ever will be Rrrrrobotnik!.^^

That was the same what I was thinking to say. :D

My fovourite name is and ever will be Rrrrrobotnik!.^^

I constantly pronounce it like that as well. :P

Robotnik. You'd probably guess this seeing how it's the one I use in my posts. But it's only by a small line ahead.

That is, I don't have any problems with Eggman and like that name as well. But you know, you just sort of use the one you grew up with regardless of whether you like them both.

I'd give more reasons, but it doesn't matter since I'll eventually be labled as a SatAM purist anyways, despite hardly watching a full episode.

Robotropolis beats all.

Yeah. Unfortunately, that's just for a city, not a country/empire.

(or you could go with the Robotnik Republic :lol:)

That works too...although, something about that word "Empire" has more of a feel to it. Partly because an empire is ruled by an emperor.

And when you put the word "Emperor" on our big bad's name, BOTH names sound menacing. Emperor Robotnik or Emperor Eggman? Now THAT'S a hard choice.

I always liked the idea of Robotropolis, though I'd imagine the game version would look more like a combination of Unleashed Eggmanland and the OVA Land of Darkness/Robotropolis/Eggmanland.

Glorious Robotnik Republic comrade!

EDIT: When it comes to ruler tags, I'd imagine Emperor Robotnik would be given a "The Noun of Nouns" title by those who fear/know little of him, probably something simplistic like the King of Machines or whatever.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Republican Robotnik.

It fits depending on your political views.

See, now all I can think of is this:

Yeehaw.jpg

Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

See, now all I can think of is this:

Yeehaw.jpg

Thank you.

That made me laugh.

I'll just say...

Robotnikland, the ultimate city.

Why is your land a city?

I use both you know why...BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER it has never mattered Robotnik Eggman he's still the same guy he'll always be the guy blowing up planets ehile giving off a goofy laugh, he'll always be the guy in a red suit flying around in a silly looking ship, he'll always be Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik there is no way around it.

Also SatAM Robotnik is lame he has never done anything to live up to the hype oh coquered Mobotropoilis big deal that's one city there's no idication he's in control of the whole planet, yeah there are other freedom fighters but who say's Robotnik is in charge of the area's there from, also I swear you could replace him with any 90's villian and no one could tell the difference.

Sorry I had to get that off my chest but it amazes me how many stupid things this fanbase will argue over, Eye Color, Buckles, Eggman's name I have never seen any other fan base complain about anything so trivial, well except maybe David Teenant fans when Matt Smith took over on Doctor Who but still they left so no one heard it anymore.

I truely am sorry but it's just these things that really make me hate this fanbase sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 2