Awoo.

How would you remake an old Sonic game?

Chaosmaster8753

A few things I'd do if Sonic Adventure were to be remade:

- Make the Adventure Fields optional.

- Let players be able to switch between the original soundtrack and a remixed one.

- Expand the size of the levels, keep a decent balance of speed and platforming, add areas exclusive to each character.

- While keeping the story faithful to the original, rewrite a few story elements as well as the dialogue, balance the light and dark factors, and improve the cutscene animations.

- Do something about the camera (although making a decent camera for a 3D Sonic of all series isn't really easy, right?)

- Add in playable Super Sonic in normal levels after completion like he was originally intended to (while making sure it activates via separate button than the jump button after you collect 50+ rings.)

- Add a few hidden secrets in levels.

- Expand the Adventure Fields with more to do like maybe give Station Square a museum where you view artwork, a library to read character and/or enemy bios, a movie theater to view cutscenes, a record store for a sound test, etc.

- Buff Amy's speed a bit.

- Make Gamma's levels more unique then in the original.

- Have the Chaos battles increase in difficulty with each new form it gains from the Emeralds.

- This is just me babbling, but maybe bring in something like the first E series model in Gamma's story as a boss?

- Try to add a little more oomph into Sonic's final encounter with Eggman in his story.

- Maybe change Sonic's light dash?

There's more ideas I have, but here's what I got so far.

Edited by Chaosmaster8753

Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,CD,3&K,Master System 1&2, Triple Trouble, Advanced, and 4.

Give it Sonic Generations graphics.

Beef up the sound track.

Make Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Tails playable, with all their Sonic Advanced movsets ( Sonic can toggle between insta shield and homing attack ) all while being completely optional.

Done.

EDIT: Wii Versions get Mario unlockable with his NSMB moveset. Kidding. Sort of. Half.

Edited by Lando The Bat

For Sonic Adventure, I'd do a lot of the same stuff you would do. Aside from that

- Tails doesn't race Sonic anymore, and his levels are much harder

- Knuckles would get levels similar to Sonic's, and his shovel claw ability would be changed into the Drill Claw, which allows you to drill through the dirt (similar to the Yellow Drill in Colors)

- Amy's stages would be more focused on platforming than the other characters to compensate more for her lack of speed

- Big would no longer be a playable character. Instead, his cutscenes would play at appropriate points during the other characters' storylines. In this way, he's more of a comic relief character.

- Make all of the bosses MUCH more difficult, with different strategies used to kill them.

- Completing extra missions for the characters will open up levels for them that they couldn't play in the main storyline, with the levels designed to accommodate their abilities.

- Instead of collecting 50 rings and then hitting the capsule, to get the third emblem of a stage, you must complete the stage in reverse.

- Metal Sonic acts as a sort of "hard mode" for Sonic's stages, rather than just a different skin.

- Completing all of Metal Sonic's missions unlocks a Grandmaster Galaxy-type level for Sonic, designed as the ultimate challenge. Completing this level results in Hard Mode being unlocked for all characters' levels.

I wouldn't.

And that's the thing! I always considered the very idea of remaking the Genesis classics to be an utterly stupid idea. I would have lambasted Generations had it adopted the original levels verbatim.

As for every other game, they've run their course. Move on to other, newer shit.

• Thumbs Up 5

If I were to remake any game of any franchise, I would make sure first and foremost to capture the essence of what made the original so great in the first place. Not just by embodying it, but by bringing it to life in a way that gives players, new and old, the same feeling they felt when or if they played it in the first place.

Edited by Jayhawker30

I'd love to see SA2 remade with Unleashed/ Generations graphics, change the hunting stages back to the SA1 radar/ hint ball mechanic, and basically tidy up any glitches.

Oh, and DS/ 3DS Chao garden connectivity. Also maybe make the Chao races and karate more interactive. And make the Chao stuff completely optional, so no Chao emblems.

I'd remake Sonic 1 Master System. Why?

Because I just want more Bridge. I can't get enough Bridge.

So fuck it, I'll make Sonic The Hedgehog: Bridge Zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't; I'm tired of staring back into the past and wishing I could relive those experiences. I want to make something new.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't; I'm tired of staring back into the past and wishing I could relive those experiences. I want to make something new.

Aw, a full length Bridge Zone game didn't sound riveting enough? :3

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

am49ya.png

+

kd8kfl.jpg

=

23qxpe.jpg

EDIT:

Alright, these posts absolutely tick me off. When we make topics like these, we're not suggesting that there never be an original Sonic again. Everyone wants something new, and the idea that the only thing fans want are remakes of the Genesis games is a pretty shallow statement.

What the heck is so wrong and backwards about wanting a fresh new look at a timeless classic? It's not like a film where the actors and sets need to change, this is a video game. Just as Sonic fans shouldn't have to be stuck in reliving the past, they shouldn't be removed from it. These statements, much like the one you posted, which infest every topic I read in relation to this subject matter, are short-sighted and thoughtless. We get it. Not everyone wants to see the classics re-made into something new, we understand. But it's really not a bad thing if we're also getting new games additionally! This re-making of the classics is more of an "on the side" deal. It doesn't need to be exalted as the next main Sonic game. In fact, there has never been a remake of the classics. Yeah, there are some minor throwbacks, and then there are some HUGE throwbacks, but some of us want to play the original Genesis classics in a bran new way. Is that really a bad thing to want?

The Genesis Sonic games are timeless classics, and deserve as much of an HD remake as Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Pokemon.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

am49ya.png

+

kd8kfl.jpg

=

23qxpe.jpg

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping for stages like Angel Island, Sky Sanctuary or Ice Cap in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like more Bridge too, please.

Before Sonic Team should contemplate any remakes, they need to prove they can remake old levels in Sonic Generations first. If they do well enough, it will prove that they can remake entire games with the resources they currently have. As cool as Emerald Coast would look with the Hedgehog Engine, I wouldn't want Sonic Team to remake Sonic Adventure with the unwieldy mechanics of Unleashed's day stages. They need to refine those mechanics first, and hopefully they will do so with Generations. Then I would be up for remakes of the early 3D Sonic games with the Hedgehog Engine and the gameplay of Unleashed's day stages.

As for the Genesis games, let them be. I would rather they not remake them until we see a new 2D Sonic game with proper physics and maybe HD sprites.

Edited by Preston

First off, keep in mind that I'm not preventing you from doing anything. You can talk all you want about remakes, and I can't (and won't) stop you. All I'm doing is expressing my opinion, that I don't want a remake, and that I don't think we would benefit from remakes. And unless I've missed something, I'm fully within my rights to say that here.

What the heck is so wrong and backwards about wanting a fresh new look at a timeless classic?
In itself, nothing. The problem is that this fanbase spends way too much time looking backwards. I think, in large part because of the last decade's failings, a lot of people are afraid to look forward, and prefer to stay comfortable and safe in their childhood memories (this isn't everyone, of course, but there's enough to note). But after 20 years, I've just about run out of things to say about Sonic 1. There's nothing left to it, the well's gone dry, and a fresh coat of paint isn't going to reinvigorate it for long. Between the ports keeping the games on hand and the constant fanbase chatter, I'm tired of it. I'm sick of it. I want something new to talk about, not just "isn't S3&K great part 1000". And I realize you're not asking that every game be a remake, but remakes are only going to ingrain this behavior even deeper.

Just as Sonic fans shouldn't have to be stuck in reliving the past, they shouldn't be removed from it.
I'm not saying they should. You want a dose of nostalgia, break out the old Genny or play a port (or a rom); I'm sure most of us have at least one, probably 2 or 3 copies of the important games in the series. And I'm not saying you can't talk about the old games, or that Sega can't reference them. But remakes, on top of all that, seems excessive. How deep do you need to bury yourself in the past to feel comfortable?

The Genesis Sonic games are timeless classics, and deserve as much of an HD remake as Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Pokemon.
I'm not really a fan of those remakes either, for the record. Well, maybe Pokemon, since the gameboy graphics and sounds of the first two generations are pretty grating now. But the other 3 games you mentioned, and the Genesis Sonics, hold up fine as straight ports.

First off, keep in mind that I'm not preventing you from doing anything. You can talk all you want about remakes, and I can't (and won't) stop you. All I'm doing is expressing my opinion, that I don't want a remake, and that I don't think we would benefit from remakes. And unless I've missed something, I'm fully within my rights to say that here.

In itself, nothing. The problem is that this fanbase spends way too much time looking backwards. I think, in large part because of the last decade's failings, a lot of people are afraid to look forward, and prefer to stay comfortable and safe in their childhood memories (this isn't everyone, of course, but there's enough to note). But after 20 years, I've just about run out of things to say about Sonic 1. There's nothing left to it, the well's gone dry, and a fresh coat of paint isn't going to reinvigorate it for long. Between the ports keeping the games on hand and the constant fanbase chatter, I'm tired of it. I'm sick of it. I want something new to talk about, not just "isn't S3&K great part 1000". And I realize you're not asking that every game be a remake, but remakes are only going to ingrain this behavior even deeper.

I'm not saying they should. You want a dose of nostalgia, break out the old Genny or play a port (or a rom); I'm sure most of us have at least one, probably 2 or 3 copies of the important games in the series. And I'm not saying you can't talk about the old games, or that Sega can't reference them. But remakes, on top of all that, seems excessive. How deep do you need to bury yourself in the past to feel comfortable?

I'm not really a fan of those remakes either, for the record. Well, maybe Pokemon, since the gameboy graphics and sounds of the first two generations are pretty grating now. But the other 3 games you mentioned, and the Genesis Sonics, hold up fine as straight ports.

I can agree to these points, but like you said, Sonic 1 can get stale sometimes. Seeing it rendered with the Hedgehog Engine would do it some good, if you ask me.

A dream come true? That'd be a remake collection of all four 8-bit games.

Honestly I'd only REALLY want Sonic 1 and 2, but Chaos and Triple Trouble have fans (and the latter was never even released at a decent resolution), so yes. Not Blast though obviously. That game looked dire.

It'd have (in lala land):

Cave Story style presentation switcheroos:

For graphics, toggle between "8-bit" Original, "16-bit" Mega Drive style, "HD" Sonic 4 style, and "3D" Sonic Generations style.

For music, toggle between "8-bit" Original, "16-bit" Mega Drive style, "Re-Arranged" performed with real instruments, and including "Act 2" and "Act 3" remixes.

Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos have toggles for whether you prefer the Master System or Game Gear soundtracks.

New Cut-Scenes

These would connect zones together were applicable and replace the original simple cut-scenes with full choreographed action sequences. Like everything else, they would be optional.

7th Chaos Emerald retconned into the stories for consistency

Sonic 1 would have Eggman holding onto a 7th emerald at the end that he gives up if you collected the others. Sonic 2 would have a 7th emerald hidden in Scrambled Egg Zone, as well as the one held by Mecha Sonic. Sonic Chaos would have an additional new special stage. Sonic Triple Trouble could also have an additional new special stage.

Marathon Mode

Ties all four games into one long one, with cut-scenes to lead one to the next.

Some Difficulty Balancing

As an example, rings would be added to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 boss stages. Also, Sonic Jam style "Easy" and "Hard" modes are added.

SA2 Style Missions

Collecting Rings, Time Attacks, Finding Chao, that sorta thing.

I think at some point I planned out how all the elements would affect Sonic 2 in particular because I love that game but I'll stop there.

And the credits theme would sound like this:

Q_Q <3

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

A dream come true? That'd be a remake collection of all four 8-bit games.

You mean all 5 right? Don't forget Sonic Blas*killed*

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alright, these posts absolutely tick me off. When we make topics like these, we're not suggesting that there never be an original Sonic again. Everyone wants something new, and the idea that the only thing fans want are remakes of the Genesis games is a pretty shallow statement.

What the heck is so wrong and backwards about wanting a fresh new look at a timeless classic? It's not like a film where the actors and sets need to change, this is a video game. Just as Sonic fans shouldn't have to be stuck in reliving the past, they shouldn't be removed from it. These statements, much like the one you posted, which infest every topic I read in relation to this subject matter, are short-sighted and thoughtless. We get it. Not everyone wants to see the classics re-made into something new, we understand. But it's really not a bad thing if we're also getting new games additionally! This re-making of the classics is more of an "on the side" deal. It doesn't need to be exalted as the next main Sonic game. In fact, there has never been a remake of the classics. Yeah, there are some minor throwbacks, and then there are some HUGE throwbacks, but some of us want to play the original Genesis classics in a bran new way. Is that really a bad thing to want?

I don't understand how it sets you off, considering it should be obvious that we're clearly speaking for ourselves. Nobody's trying to rain on your parade. Don't freak out over it.

And it's a bit hypocritical to say that posts like these are thoughtless when all yours amounted to was image + image = image. I could just as easily say "we get it" to people who want a remake and post about it, but I don't because it doesn't affect me. Saying "we get it" in this particular context really doesn't amount to anything other than you simply want the other side to stop talking.

Edited by Sean

I'd only want a remake if it did more than simply update the graphics. I'm not paying money for what amounts to nothing more than a technical showcase, especially when the guys at Retro are essentially doing that for free. No siree, Sega's going to have to add some significant gameplay content to enliven the experience and make it relevant for me again, both control and level-wise. And I don't trust them to be able to do that without causing yet another shitstorm I don't want to have to suffer through; they couldn't even use a 13-year old character design for S4 without backlash. Dio also expresses my sentiments about what a remake of such caliber would reinforce amongst the disgruntled fans and public, and how utterly exhausting it is that after 20 years, I still have to look forward to little more than the glories of the classics being constantly and, at this point, annoyingly reinforced everywhere I go. So no, I don't see the value in a remake.

The topic is: "How WOULD you remake an old Sonic game?"

Why just don't stay on topic and just tell how you would remake it. It doesn't mean they are doing a remake of an Sonic game at all.

At the moment I would give the old Sonic game the graphics of generations and adjust the controls. ;)

Ironically, the only thing I'd do, if I'd been given the pleasure of being in charge of such a project, is a graphical update, because that's the only thing you can reasonably do without the actual target audience going completely ape-shit and deconstructing any of your gameplay tweaks and additions as "going against the spirit of the originals." We've had literally two decades for people to indoctrinate the public on the idea that the classics are pretty much pitch perfect with Sega's performance not really helping the matter, so fuck it-- Just make the games prettier, leave the code and controls and level design exactly as they are, and call it a day. They'll buy it and your self-image won't be entirely crushed in the process; everyone wins.

Edited by Nepenthe

The topic is: "How WOULD you remake an old Sonic game?"

Why just don't stay on topic and just tell how you would remake it.

Well remakes are fine with me as long as they don't drastically change these games in the process. Remaking a game to better suit today's standards could please old fans and bring in new ones as well.

But back on topic I would give Sonic CD a remake. Probably just a graphical update and fix the crappy level design. I don't want them going too far to change the physics and all.

It's not a bad idea, but I guess fans will just get angry over it or something after the game gets released for x or y reason.

Ironically, the only thing I'd do, if I'd been given the pleasure of being in charge of such a project, is a graphical update, because that's the only thing you can reasonably do without the actual target audience going completely ape-shit and deconstructing any of your gameplay tweaks and additions as "going against the spirit of the originals."