Awoo.

Help Stop Uganda's Anti-gay Bill

PeanutButterDimond

Signed, but there are some other petitions there worth signing too. Dx

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/mines_in_the_grand_canyon?vc

Stop mining in the Grand Canyon.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/artists_for_ai_weiwei?fp

And a human rights one for China.

That being said, I think the Ugandan petition is the biggest deal because so many lives are in danger all because of a bigoted government. I can't believe that so many countries these days are so backwards as to kill people just for their sexuality. I REALLY hope this petition works.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you both for signing it. :) It's gaining signings so fast. It's nice to see so many people helping. This is a bit of a touchy subject with me. Not only because I believe in gay rights, but one of my sisters is a lesbian, so stuff like this, well, really hurts even more. It's so horrible to even think of a bill like this. To think that people would be executed just because they love someone who is the same gender.

Anti-gay stuff on a small scale is annoying, often even laughable. But this is scary. I know Uganda is a third world country in Africa, but still. It's scary that people can think this way. I've signed it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Anti-gay stuff on a small scale is annoying, often even laughable. But this is scary. I know Uganda is a third world country in Africa, but still. It's scary that people can think this way. I've signed it.

Laughable? Never is Anti-gay stuff laughable. It' a restriction to freedom. And no matter on how small a scale, never is it laughable.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is absolutely terrifying. It's got my signature and support, and I'm glad to see there are a million and a half others willing to stop this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Laughable? Never is Anti-gay stuff laughable. It' a restriction to freedom. And no matter on how small a scale, never is it laughable.

Oh believe me, it's laughable. I'm gay and I think it can be funny.

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't Uganda try to push this through last year and it failed relatively early on?

• Thumbs Up 1

Signed, but there are some other petitions there worth signing too. Dx

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/mines_in_the_grand_canyon?vc

Stop mining in the Grand Canyon.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/artists_for_ai_weiwei?fp

And a human rights one for China.

That being said, I think the Ugandan petition is the biggest deal because so many lives are in danger all because of a bigoted government. I can't believe that so many countries these days are so backwards as to kill people just for their sexuality. I REALLY hope this petition works.

I signed both. Thanks for signing. :)

Oh believe me, it's laughable. I'm gay and I think it can be funny.

Whatever you say. Still, thanks for signing. :)

Didn't Uganda try to push this through last year and it failed relatively early on?

Ee'yup. Now it's time to stop it again.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Are we still living in the damn 1700's or something? My god, this the absolute most biggoted monstrosity I've heard of, 3 of my friends are in fact gay/les(well one is bi) Signed. I suppose next they're gonna sentence anyone with the internet to burn at the stake for witchcraft? -_-

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

@Gartocer: Don't give any ideas...

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

1) This petition will change nothing. All the politicians and a lot of the population of Uganda supports it.

2) The death penalty has been taken off the bill due to western outcry

3) They're willing to stop recieving trade and aid from western countries if it means getting the bill passed.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't protest against this, but honestly we need a sense of perspective here even if it is a downer.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've signed this, since I agree with their position, but unfortunately -- as is the case with all other internet petitions -- this is going to have no effect whatsoever upon the final decision of the Ugandan legislature.

It's a good cause though, and the international community really should be a lot more stern with countries like Uganda on this issue. If you want to scare yourself, you should watch "Missionaries of Hate", a documentary Current TV did a few months ago.

First Uganada went through the Lord's Resistance Army kidnapping children and making them into soldiers, now this?

In Uganda there is a bill that if passed could make it so that, in Uganda, being gay is punishable by death!

• Thumbs Up 2

Signed and tweeted. Probably won't help, but one can always hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Somewhat unsurprisingly, that bill was dropped due to the huge amount of negative press Uganda were getting in the world media.

On the other hand - hey, people paid attention to Uganda for a few minutes. Was nice to hear something other than Royal Wedding/Gaddafi/Bin Laden, even if the bill was ridiculous and was never going to get to court, let alone passed as a bill of law, in a million years.

Even though I completely disagree with any kind of violation against human rights anywhere, how can an internet petition actually stop a third-world African country with little sympathy for other countries? I wish that somehow, someone in Uganda could actually fight for human rights and succeed.

Signed it. It's sick that there's people who want to execute people based on their personal preference. Honestly, how the fuck being a homosexual hurting anyone?

There's no excuse for any bill of this capacity even existing anywhere, regardless of their political or religious views, or the beliefs of the country as a whole, etc. This is the kind of ignorance the human race as a whole needs to work together to overcome. I just pray this petition can make a difference.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

As horrible as this whole thing is, I have to say it warmed my heart a little to see signatures rolling in every couple of seconds from people all over the world. I'm not normally much of a believer in the power of petitions, but what the hell. Signed anyway.

Gays in Uganda have obviously got plenty more issues than just this bill, though. I don't think any amount of international outcry can do much more than put a band-aid on what's obviously a deep-rooted problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Uganda Update: IGLHRC Welcomes Closing of Ugandan Parliament Without Vote on Anti-Homosexuality Bill

For Immediate Release

(New York, 13 May 2011) The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission joins colleagues in Uganda in welcoming today's closing of the current Ugandan Parliament without adoption of the Anti-Homosexuality Bill. The news comes after a week in which the possibility of the notorious Bill's adoption

loomed large. The proposed legislation has existed as a threat for nearly two years and activists in Uganda and internationally have once again had to spend already limited resources pressuring and educating lawmakers on the perils of the Bill's passage.

Activists shared the news with relief and appreciation for the expressions of global solidarity along with a note of caution on the need for continued vigilance - the Anti-Homosexuality Bill may be reintroduced in the next session of parliament, which opens on May 18, 2011."

That was in my inbox, from The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission's mailing list. Once again, stalled but not eradicated.