Awoo.

Good 2000s cartoons and bad 1990s cartoons

Chaosmaster8753

So, for a change of pace, what are some cartoons from the 2000s that you really like, and what are some shows from the 1990s you're not so fond of?

The only good 2000's cartoons I can remember off the top of my head are Invader Zim and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

There are plenty of bad 90's cartoons, but I can't remember any of them. AoSTH was so bad it was good, as were most terrible cartoons of the 90's. 2000's cartoons were just mediocre at best and plain awful at worst.

So, for a change of pace, what are some cartoons from the 2000s that you really like, and what are some shows from the 1990s you're not so fond of?

I don't know, there's a lot of Cartoons I like from the 1990's but there is a lot of 2000's that just doesn't flow my boat or just isn't memorable to me! ;)

To me thats like saying 'Good 2000's music and bad 1990's music'. There is loads of music that I adore in 1990's and the 2000's less than half of it was good to my ears.

If anyone says that Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Batman: The Animated Series were bad has no taste in cartoons! :P

Edited by BW199148

Good 2000: billy & Mandy, Foster's Home, courage, Skunk Fu, Yin Yang Yo, ...yeah that's all I can think of, everything else just kills my brain cells.

Bad 1990: ...there was one that I can barely remember...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Good 2000s cartoons?

Hm...writing them as they come to mind...

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law & Sealab 2021

Teen Titans

Samurai Jack

The Weekenders

The Fairly OddParents

Invader ZIM

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

That's all I can think of that I really like, but you'll notice that none of these came out after 2005, so I still say that animation sucked in the latter half of the 2000's. :P As for crappy 90's cartoons, well, all I can really think of at the moment are Courage the Cowardly Dog and Cow and Chicken. I really just don't find them that funny...

Edited by T-Man

You know, a lot of the shows I thought aided greatly in the quality of the 2000 era are actually around 1997-1999 or so, and it pains me that I can't include them. Seriously, I am itching to talk about 101 Dalmatians. =(

Anyhoo, as far as great western shows go, here's a short list of good shows that are probably not going to be mentioned by anyone else because they're relatively forgotten by now:

Time Squad: A comedy about a trio of time cops who confront historical figures who aren't acting in accordance to the history books. The personalities and interactions of the main characters were hilarious as was the comical interpretations of historical figures gone rogue, and it facilitated a bit of tangential learning on the part of me and others who bothered to watch it.

The Proud Family: A sitcom detailing the life of teenager Penny Proud and her imperfect but loving family. The greatest thing about this show is probably the extended cast and how defined each personality was. Also commendable was how they made fun of pop culture and African-American stereotypes without the show being entirely obnoxious, and it was Disney's best effort in delving into the black community until The Princess and the Frog.

Kappa Mikey: A sitcom that follows Kappa Mikey, a 19-year old actor who goes to Japan and ends up saving a failing sentai show. In a way, it's essentially Family Guy, primarily a vehicle to make fun of anime and sentai stereotypes instead of telling any engaging story. I can understand why it only had two seasons, but I found the jokes and voice-acting hilarious. Besides, Sean Schemmel is in it, and he uses his Goku voice! I could listen to that forever.

Honorable and/or Predictable Mentions:

Brandy & Mr. Whiskers

Chowder

Danny Phantom

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

My Gym Partner's A Monkey

The Fairly Oddparents

Samurai Jack

Transformers: Animated

As for bad 90s shows... That's tough:

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: A trio of monsters attending university have to scare people as part of the curriculum. I never really got this one as a child, and I can't bring myself to go back to see if it actually holds up. It was just dull, bland, dull, dull, bland, dull. The dark artstyle and weird, Rugrats-like animation was also a turn-off.

Captain Planet: Five teenagers battle environmentalism with the help of the titular super hero who comes when their powers are brought together. Do I need to explain why this wasn't all that good? Yes, the ending theme is catchy. No, it's not an excuse.

Those are the only two I can tackle, really; a lot of 90s crap I didn't watch simply because it bored me, but that might be because my critical sensibilities weren't all that developed well. Who knows? What bored me then might actually hold up pretty well now, but I'm not going to go back and watch everything for the sake of this topic. And of course, I could easily list mechandise-based stuff like Street Sharks, but again, I never watched Street Sharks because my parents were amazingly awesome in giving me Looney Tunes, Disney Afternoon, and AoStH video tapes to watch instead, so I can't even fairly comment on that either.

To be honest, most 90's shows were crap, it's just that the good ones were so good we ignored the rest.

As for good 2000-shows, there's a really good amount.

Best is probably The Spectacular Spider-Man... I should rewatch that. FUCK YOU MARVEL FOR CANCELLING SEASON 3!!!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Though I was born in '95, I guess it practically means I grew up into the 2000's.

I agree with a lot of the good 90's cartoons (except Skun Fu, sorry, I couldn't even watch a minute of that show), but I really love Spongebob, as well as some other good Nick shows. Back when I was kid I really used to enjoy shows like Chalk Zone and The Proud Family, too (God, I miss this show so much).

But if there was any 90's show that wasn't really memorable at all, it had to be Captain Planet. Sheesh, I only saw this show when there was nothing else on. Besides, what kind of an American name is Wheeler anyway?

If by '2000s' do you mean The years from 2000-2009? Or 2000 to the present day? If it's the latter, then My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a pretty cool show *SHOT*

But yeah, more good 2000's cartoons: Megas XLR, The Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, The Spectacular Spiderman, Time Squad, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Star Wars: Clone Wars (the original, not that godawful CG series) Fosters home for Imaginary friends and Spongebob (It technically came out in 1999, but didn't become a good show until about 2 or 3 years later, imo)

Bad 90's cartoons: Pretty much ANY merchandise based show, like Nepenthe said, like Action Man and Transformers: Beast Machines (Beast WARS was good, Beast MACHINES sucked)

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox

Okay, I was born in 1996, so my case is the same as Ulver's. XD My memory is VERY hazy. Oh, and by the way, MOVIES COUNT. :D

1990s

Anastasia

FernGully (1!)

Timon and Pumbaa (The Series)

Aladdin (The Series, but not as good as the movie, loved Robin Williams)

Pokémon KANTO

PB&J Otter

2000s

House of Mouse/Mickey Mouse Works

Proud Family

Chalk Zone

Flapjack

Chowder

Regular Show

Superjail! is better than anything out there today, or ever. Xavier and Venture Bros. are also other worthwhile mentions, although I really haven't seen too much of the latter but I do know it has Patrick fucking Warburton.

Harvey Birdman was one of the funniest cartoons I've seen in the 2000s. But other than that I'll have to say Billy and Mandy, Evil Con Carne, and House of Mouse. I can't think of anything else.

Bad cartoons from the 1990s well I have an entire channel dedicated to a bad cartoon series. But the irony kicks in as its really bad its laughable. :P I'm a bit off by Rugrats and Spongebob, though I really dislike the latter. But that's all I got. :P

Great... Now I want to see The Critic. :P

Edit: I totality forgot about Family Guy. I honestly find it annoying so yeah.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

Courage the Cowardly Dog is from the 90's, 1999 to be specific. Same with Batman Beyond.

I forgot about Superjail! which is from the 2000's. So yeah, Zim, Billy and Mandy, Superjail! and The Spectacular Spiderman.

I would include Regular Show and Friendship is Magic if they weren't 2010's.

Edited by Preston

Erm... I kinda liked Ben 10 when he was still a little kid and not a brooding bitch.... I liked most stuff Genndy Tartakovsky's put out.... beyond that and a few anime, CGI shows and other stuff that wouldn't really be considered "cartoons", a lot of stuff that's come out has been quite forgettable. So much so that I don't really miss having cable in my new home.

Bad 90's cartoons? Well, to be fair, a lot of them weren't all that great, looking back. But as a kid, most stuff on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon entertained me a lot more than it does today, and heck, some of them still do. Could that be because I simply grew up, because they are truly superior in quality to today's cartoons?

Edited by EXshad

Well, I didn't want to become one of those stupid youtubers who cry and say that every show on TV Now is awful. God nostalgia... I hate it so much sometimes. =/

but unfortunately, there's not a lot of shows that catch my attention nowadays. I do like some of the shows cartoon network is showing right now.

But worst 90s shows? Hmmm... I do remember seeing an MC Hammer cartoon which was pretty stupid and had quite possibly the lamest intro ever. Oh and I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but I'm gonna have to say Ren and Stimpy. I used to love watching it, but now that I've been exposed to the horrors of the real world and lost my innocent mind, I can't sit through it without getting a bit nauseous.

There is a show I might have seen one time, (I don't remember too much about it.) that that was called "Wacky World of Tex Avery." Why was this show so bad? It had nothing to do with Tex Avery or his cartoons! Plus the cartoons in it were pretty bland in addition.

Edited by The Stinking Recolor

I've got two words for y'all

regular-show-cartoon-network-04.jpg

EDIT

Oh yeah. I forgot Regular Show is post-2010

Edited by nickswift

Captain Planet: Five teenagers battle environmentalism with the help of the titular super hero who comes when their powers are brought together. Do I need to explain why this wasn't all that good? Yes, the ending theme is catchy. No, it's not an excuse.

The thing about Captain Planet is that it was so bad that it was good. Cartoons of the 90's were either good or they sucked so much that they were good. Most cartoons of the 2000's were dumb enough to suck, but not enough to be ironically entertaining. The 80's were full to the brim with cartoons that sucked, but at least we can look back at them and laugh at how dumb they were. I can't think of any 2000's cartoons that sucked to that extent. Most of them were just mediocre anime-inspired tripe.

Really, the 2000's had three kinds of cartoons. One was Western cartoons that wanted to be anime so badly. The other was Spongebob clones that always had an annoying main character with a nasally voice. The last one was cartoons that took several artistic liberties and had genuinely memorable characters. Too bad the latter of the three were in the minority throughout an entire decade.

Fucking Mega Babies. As a little kid, I was sorta fond of some of the Gross Out cartoons that were uncommon during the 90's, but this? This shit made me want to rip my eyes out.

Angela Anaconda was also rather irritating.

Ed,Edd, n Eddy I can say right now. It started in 1998 and the series ended in 2009 as a TV movie.

Note: The one who voiced "Edd" is the same guy who did Sonic's singing voice in Sonic underground.

I just say I don't remember that many cartoons from the 2000's but mostly 90's, and some of them are good ones, here some of my fav.s from 90's and some 2000's:

Ed, Edd, n Eddy (mention above)

some Batman cartoons

Super Mario Bros. Super Show (it really was in 1989 but I watch in the 90's)

Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

AoStH, SatAM, Sonic Underground, and Sonic X (I like watching because I'm a Sonic fan, same as above I'm a Mario fan as well)

EarthWorm Jim

Freakazoid

Crypt Keeper (yes there a cartoon series)

Courage the Cowardly Dog

Invader Zim

Mortal Kombat

and thats all I remember I like for now.

Heres one cartoon I do hate:

Some of think of me strange but I HATE SpongeBob SquarePants, don't ask why I just hate the cartoon and the character, but if I did like someone from the show I would have to say...Squidward, because he don't like SpongeBob. LOL.

People seem to miss that the topic was about BAD 90's cartoons, not good ones. :/

People seem to miss that the topic was about BAD 90's cartoons, not good ones. :/

It doesn't make sense, why not have good and bad 90s cartoons in one topic, or good and bad 2000s cartoons in one topic? Why does it need to be good from one decade and bad from the last? And aren't people going to more clearly remember the good over the bad?

Oh yeah and if this descends into a "Here's a pic/list, I'm not going to explain ANYTHING because I can't be bothered, NUFF SAID LOL" topic, its life expectancy is going to fall dramatically.

I think the topic started over people saying "90's cartoons were good but 2000's were terrible" a lot, so a topic was made in order to go against that claim.

Besides tons that were mentioned I liked Space Ghost Coast to Coast a lot from the 90s. Uhh, Johnny Bravo.. There were a lot of cartoons that I liked in the 90s, but most of them are listed already..

From the 00s, The Brak Show was really funny, too. I also like The Clone Wars, but at the same time have problems with it for changing canon things like the Mandalorians (Seriously, they're suddenly pacifists? XO They could'Ve used a different species for this, but nooooo they decided to completely change everything about the Mandalorians XO)

I can't think of a bad 90's cartoon. I can, however, think of a few good 2000 cartoons:

Adventure Time

Kappa Mikey

Invader Zim

That's about it...

Personally I'm not really big on nostalgia hocking. I love things from my childhood/adolescence, but I can accept the fact that it's my personal attachment to these things that makes them great to me.....not because they were each devine little blessings sprinkled in chocolate.

It really upsets me when people say 'movies/books/tv/games are all going downhill'....don't you realize every generation has said this. Cartoons are a prime target for this. People tend to think every show they remember was a wonderful masterpiece, whilst shunning cartoons today as trash. Sure, I thought streek sharks was ballin' as a kid. But was it a good show? Probably not.

That's not to say there weren't good shows in the 90's. One of the biggest problems that I don't think is comprehended well is the fact that everything is original and new to you the first time you experience it as a kid. This tends to lead you to think that all your prized franchises were these so unique and revolutionary, and everything nowadays is just some sad hashed out knockoff. While there may be truth in some cases, chances are what you thought was amazing and revolutionary as a kid had been done 1000 times over throughout the generations.

As for good cartoons today, there are so many. I haven't kept up too much though so I'm not able to give a really detailed list....but I do need to give one shout out.

Phineas and Ferb. Just the parodies and clever writing alone make it worthy of watching, but the actually concept of the show is great too. It's just filled with imagination and life. There's a lot of episodes you'd have to watch multiple times to catch everything. Greeeeat show ~

• Thumbs Up 4